[Grades] Grades v. Lakers 11/10/2016

Who had you banging your head against the wall the most?

• Rudy

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Afflalo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lawson

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • Collison

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Temple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tolliver

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Nice shooting fellas!

Well that was frustrating. Cuz did not have a great game, raw numbers aside, but at least his lack of great game could be explained by the Lakers piling up on him. What was catastrophic was the REASON they were able to pile up on him. If I grabbed a pair of sneakers out of my closet I might have represented a bigger threat to score from the Lakers' perspective than the rest of our team.

By the way: this one is also on Joerger. The team could not score. Not at all. 36 second half points. Long FG droughts. He left in Lawson too long when he was killing spacing and we never recovered momentum it seemed. And then with the team not scoring at all, he never even gave a look at Ben and Omri, both of who at least can shoot. It left Cuz out there alone, not only as our best inside guy, but as our best outside guy too. That's too big a burden for virtually anybody.

So...sucks. Not even sure what lessons can be learned here. Here's a lesson: hit your damn shots. Here's another one: when you have your man down, put your foot on his bleeping throat and finish it. That's a life lesson btw, not just a basketball one. Your average over-talking villain in movies could afford to learn it too.

So now instead of 5-5, its 4-6 and heading into the next rough stretch. Probably doomed tomorrow, but who knows, maybe Lillard can shoot 1-10 for 8pts again and give us a shot to steal it and make up for this one.

Link to Boxscore

Starters

Gay ( D+ ) -- started the game well, but even when going good there was the hint of the selfish one on one thing going on. Made a selfish play just before half that hurt our momentum, and never gave us anything at all after the break against the Lakers kids assigned to him. Got outtoughed down the stretch as we tried to go small on Randle.

Featured Grade
Cousins ( C ) -- Tonight Cousins finally played the way an All-Star Big should play, within himself, no emotional flares, level headed with the refs, showing all aspects of his game. Too bad he only shot 10/25. Several times drove deep into middle to pass out for easier made shots contributing to his 4 assists. Showed nice step back mid-range then 2 3’s in the first quarter. Came back in at 8:30 mark of 2nd mistreating Mozgov at will, nice big 3 step down middle for finger roll, backing in and quick spin for 2. In first half was a man amongst boys against Mozgov and Randle. Defended Mozgov first half not a tough task. Second half he and Randle began their Sac-LA banging dance routine making life a bit tougher for Cousins. Made good pass down low for easy Koufos 2. Cuz was running back on defense all night making Mozgov and Randle unsuccessful to get any breakout buckets. Very nice to see, for a change. Then mid-third Cuz and Kings went stone cold he going 0/4 in third and 3/7 in fourth. Just could not make his normal easy down low buckets. To his credit continued to play team game but with everyone throwing up bricks the game began slipping away in spite of Lakers 21 TO’s. Lakers kept 2-3 defenders on him all second half contributing to poor shooting and his 4 TO’s. --Cruz

Koufos ( C ) -- say what you will about Kostas, but pairing he and Cuz in the early part of this game against Mozgov and Randle worked better than any attempts to stick a smallball PF out there next to Cuz and make him battle 1 on 2.

Afflalo ( C- ) -- gets a little credit for helping on the glass, and most of his misses were quiet. Silent but deadly, as they piled up. Loses points for eventually losing control on defense, and having so little offensive feel that late in the game he was passing up threes we desperately needed to throw it to Boogie for yet another shot. Here! you take it!

Lawson ( D+ ) -- boxscore would be deceptive on Ty. his 4-6 = 2 wide open please ****ign take them threes from Cuz, and 1 layup after a backcourt steal. Forgot the third. But generally he could not and would not shoot, and the Lakers knew it. Created nothing either, with a nifty 1 to 3 A/T ration on the night. Some minor credit for some second scrap when nothing else was working.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Tolliver ( D+ ) -- had 1 or 2 good moments of defense inside, and grabbed one board in traffic. but man...you are here to shoot. You are getting open shots. And we desperately needed you to hit them. Instead joined the crowd of offensive nothings.

Barnes ( C ) -- not really fair to ask Matt Barnes, career defensive roleplayer, to carry the offense. but he was out there a lot, and he couldn't hit his shots either. Made a couple of outstanding defensive plays that bumped his grade for me, including my old favorite trick/influence them to throw the ball tot he wrong guy n the break thing, and then steal it.

Cauley-Stein ( C- ) -- had more activity again and got a few open court dunks. But it was shaky work getting beat in various ways, and during his minutes when we first lost control of the game. Grabbed a couple of board though, so hey hey!

Collison ( F ) -- if Darren would like to take another 8 game soff I am about ready for it. has shown no control of pace or decisionmaking since his return, and just missed, and missed, and missed and missed some more in this one. The high assist number is kind of a joke. He and Ty gave us precious little.

Temple ( D ) -- I don't know on this grade. he's obviously not an offensive player, so not hitting the few he took isn't a huge indicator. but didn't make plays on the other end either, and the offensive decisionmaking seemed shaky.

Last edited:
This franchise is teetering on two worlds

Still trying to build around DMC/Gay, or blowing it up and securing a high pick this year doing it

Losing is bad enough, but losing to a @#$% team like the Lakers pisses me off. While they have some streaky shooters that can get hot every now and then, this is the same team that won 17 games last season. I don't care that they've won 5 games already and beat some good teams. They'll still end the season as a @#$% team. Bookmark it. And the Kings had that team down 19 points and decided to just mail it in from that point on for some reason.

I agree with Brick -- give somebody else a chance off the bench tonight. It was obvious this team was having trouble scoring. If you can't make teams pay for swarming Cousins, you don't have much of a shot. Casspi was pretty good from 3 last season yet can't get a look. Afflalo and Lawson are killing the starting unit with poor shooting and passing up open shots because of it. Lawson shot a good % tonight, but you can tell defenses do not respect him. Making matters worse, Collison couldn't shoot it either.

This was one of those classic games where you let a team hang around and get confidence late. While the Lakers aren't at all a good team, they have a couple brash streak shooters and the Kings played right into their hands.

How hard is it to find a perimeter player than can hit open shots consistently? Must be very hard because the Kings can't ever seem to find one.

FG% is the single most important statistic in basketball - nothing can win or lose teams' games faster. Lakers connected on quite a number of 3's in their comeback the 2nd half while the Kings went dry.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
To answer the poll question, Collison. He was prime Kings Ramon Sessions on the WTF meter tonight... What the hell man?!

As for the game itself...
I was fine with the road losses. I would have been fine with 0-5 on the road. All I want is .500. All I want is stability. I have not delusioned myself with remote thoughts about playoffs. That said...

I'm not okay with this one. It's been said. I've said it. I'll repeat it again.

Absolutely embarrassing. Sickening. Awful. Pathetic. Maddening. I want to scream. I want to punch something. I hate the Lakers. I hate Luke Walton. I hate Nick Young. I hate commentary. I hate national TV.

And I'm going to step back from this GD ledge, and I'll be right back here for the very next Kings game. The joys of being a fan of this team sometimes.

How can we win games without an offense?
  1. No consistent scorers outside of Gay/Cousins
  2. No starting caliber players in our starting lineup
  3. No consistent 3pt shooting
Lakers double Cuz all night, and there's nothing we can do about it. To beat the Kings, all you have to do is shut down Gay, because you'll know Cousins alone, won't be enough to make up the pts for the 7 other guys on his team.

i wouldn't have mind seeing skal out there to see what he could do.
If that happens, I think you're calling for a tank to this season. Skal clearly isn't ready from a physical standpoint. Even in preseason, the game was moving way too fast for him.

He's a worse rebounder than Willie. I just don't see him getting any minutes until we hit the full reset button. Till then, he's probably not going to play. Joerger also doesn't have the best track record with playing young players anyways though.

New arena and same crappy team. No offense outside and defense lax. Cousins needs to grow up. Blowing a 19 point lead to a rebuilding lakers team at home is disgraceful. Revolving coaches and players and same damn results. Time to fire divac on down and rebuild. Wont waste my money to support this dog and pony show act. Should have let these losers leave.

F

Fora Dragi

The success of this low talent lakers team is a testament to how messed up this kings franchise has been for the last decade and a half. They have no superstar (which is so un-LA like) Yet play with pace, athleticism, and energy. Dare I say they r fun to watch...what have we been doing?

K

KingMilz

New arena and same crappy team. No offense outside and defense lax. Cousins needs to grow up. Blowing a 19 point lead to a rebuilding lakers team at home is disgraceful. Revolving coaches and players and same damn results. Time to fire divac on down and rebuild. Wont waste my money to support this dog and pony show act. Should have let these losers leave.
We are a team dependent on a welfare state basically where the welfare (Cousins/Vlade) despite the great intent and numbers keeps us in long term poverty rather than blowing up that system that has dis-incentivized most the fans and players that come here and has resulted in a complete lack of development and horrible decision making due to being on that welfare.

Bricklayer

SacBee article, and frankly I don't links to post Sacbee articles because several members of their sports department can go **** themselves as far as I am concerned and I won't give them the clicks. But I don't know Matt Kawahara, or any harm in him...yet. And I liked the quotes in the article from everybody because they continue to demonstrate a getitness that has rarely been seen in Kings parts. And credit where credit is due, Kawahara pretty much saw the game correctly too. Anyway:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article114100638.html

I cant believe people continue to defend mediocrity. This team is mediocre to its core. If everything stays as is, 35 wins here we come. Not good enough to make playoffs, not bad enough to get top talent in draft. The sooner people realize its over and we need a full reset the better moods will start to be around here. Give me a young team i can root for, not an old dumb frustrating team.

Bricklayer

I cant believe people continue to defend mediocrity. This team is mediocre to its core. If everything stays as is, 35 wins here we come. Not good enough to make playoffs, not bad enough to get top talent in draft. The sooner people realize its over and we need a full reset the better moods will start to be around here. Give me a young team i can root for, not an old dumb frustrating team.
Did you know that in Dave Joerger's first season with the Grizz they started off the season 3-5, and were 10-15 before they figured it out, kicked into gear, and finished the season 50-32?

Talk to me about Christmastime and we'll see where we are.

I'm right there with you. A top down tear down is what we need. Starting with a quality GM who can find great talent out there. Time to scout the best FO in the league to find that knowledgeable GM. Watching the young lakers perform for their new coach only backed up my hunger to right this ship THE CORRECT WAY.