[Grades] Grades v. Jazz 12/21/2016

Who's going to win the #8 seed this year?

• Kings

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Blazers

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Nuggets

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Lakers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pelicans

• Timberwolves

• Suns

• Mavericks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Platypuses

Votes: 9 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dude12

Hall of Famer
And whatever Joerger is doing as far as setting the tone with the players, he needs to keep doing what he is doing. Afflalo, since his benching or DNP's, has been working hard on the court and been effective with that 2nd unit who move the ball way more than the first unit. Afflalo as a second team SF is a good look for him. Thought he was somewhat effective on Hayward in the 4th.

WCS is starting to move the needle a bit in terms of positive production....has a long ways to go but if he can give some production, he earns PT

Kudos on Lawson, coming off the bench and haven't heard a peep out of him, he just is playing well and starting to flourish. Surprisingly effective defense out of him

Tolliver is coming around and scrapping

The next guy we desperately need to step up is Ben. Has to hold his own when in there.

Temple just plays well whenever he's in.....offensively, just needs to hit that open 3.

Hopefully, the good play continues to grow and become contagious.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Ben shouldnt be starting, especially with Rudy out. Thats two nights in a row where his unsound defense has allowed guys to get easy looks and be hot(McCollum and Hayward). Temple has had to come in and play housemaid. Even Afflalo fared better just by being a smarter player. Temple should start for sure and honestly Afflalo should be with the second unit with roster as is.
I agree with the diagnosis, but think the solution may lie in a trade if Vlade is sitting there, seeing us in position to grab the #8 even with guys out, and decided to make a move to give us a boost.

I like the way Lawson has been playing. He's just been trying to facilitate all year but he seems to be at his best when he looks for his offense first. He's the only guy on this team that can break a defense down and it helps the scoring immensely when they aren't just relying on Cousins to do his thing. The last two games Lawson has been playing a little more as a score first guard and I hope it's something that will continue because we need that option. Collison just simply isn't creating offense for anyone.

Shout out to Temple and Cauley-Stein for that sweet give and go on the baseline. That might be one of my favorite plays of the season. Shows that WCS's basketball IQ is blooming because that play doesn't work unless you react on instinct. The second you think about it, the window is over and the play most likely results in a turnover.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Is/was Hayward better than Rudy Gay? I'm not entirely sure. Hayward has a propensity to create shots and not be a black hole, but Rudy is more athletic and can get to the rim better. I'm curious how this team would be with a Rudy/Hayward swap in a alternate dimension.

And whatever Joerger is doing as far as setting the tone with the players, he needs to keep doing what he is doing. Afflalo, since his benching or DNP's, has been working hard on the court and been effective with that 2nd unit who move the ball way more than the first unit. Afflalo as a second team SF is a good look for him. Thought he was somewhat effective on Hayward in the 4th.

WCS is starting to move the needle a bit in terms of positive production....has a long ways to go but if he can give some production, he earns PT

Kudos on Lawson, coming off the bench and haven't heard a peep out of him, he just is playing well and starting to flourish. Surprisingly effective defense out of him

Tolliver is coming around and scrapping

The next guy we desperately need to step up is Ben. Has to hold his own when in there.

Temple just plays well whenever he's in.....offensively, just needs to hit that open 3.

Hopefully, the good play continues to grow and become contagious.
Since he was benched two games in a row via coach's decision (11/23 & 11/25), these have been his per36 stats:

55% TS% / 57% FG% / 33% FT% / 25.1 PPG / 12.7 RPG / 1.9 APG / 2.2 SPG / 1.9 BPG / 1.5 TOPG / 8.2 FPG

Granted during this 13 game stretch he was averaging only 6:51 per game so extrapolating to a per36 is pretty dangerous, but it's at least good to see some positive numbers coming from him...

Is/was Hayward better than Rudy Gay? I'm not entirely sure. Hayward has a propensity to create shots and not be a black hole, but Rudy is more athletic and can get to the rim better. I'm curious how this team would be with a Rudy/Hayward swap in a alternate dimension.
Hayward's a much, much better playmaker/creator than Rudy is, and is a big reason why the Jazz got so many open 3-pt looks that killed us (that, along with continued lunacy to sag off shooters to help on the likes of Boris Diaw in the post). Jazz would laugh Vlade off the phone if he asked for a straight swap.

Hayward's a much, much better playmaker/creator than Rudy is, and is a big reason why the Jazz got so many open 3-pt looks that killed us (that, along with continued lunacy to sag off shooters to help on the likes of Boris Diaw in the post). Jazz would laugh Vlade off the phone if he asked for a straight swap.
Don't disagree with the first part, but the bolded part is questionable. The Jazz only made 9 out of 27 three point shots. Their 3 point shooting killed them not the Kings.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I don't care what the statline shows the past 2 games - Afflalo looks horrible out there to me.
He gets set up repeatedly for wideopen desperately-needed 3's, and bricks them constantly.
He shouldn't be getting 27 minutes when Temple gets 28.

I don't care what people complain about incessantly in the game threads - Caulie-Stein deserves more time on the floor, and especially with Demarcus.
IIRC, one of the only times they've both been playing together, they gained 5 points vs the Blazers, and Joerger immediately pulled Willie. :rolleyes:

There is zero justification for not starting Temple anymore.
It's become ridiculous.

Lawson is currently >> Collison.
Again, there's no arguing that.

I want to see a starting 5 of:
Lawson
Temple
Rudy/Omri/Barnes (whoever isn't injured/sick/died of old age)
WCS
Boogie.

Just try something which is actually based off of on-court success, Joerger - just once!
Not looking for an argument here. Temple is a top 5 player on our team but that doesn't mean he should start. I haven't studied how the players get along as a unit but it may very well be that Temple doesn't fit with what we can call the starters. In any case, I am thrilled to have him. If he gets near 30 minutes, what's to argue about? I am also happy with Lawson. Don't know what's going on with Collison. Gay doesn't fit. i am drifting from my original point but I don't think Vlade did so bad. Depending on whether Afflalo regains some game and Tolliver hits threes at a regular rate, we may have done very well. What I am hearing about the three rookies isn't all that bad and we have a guy in Europe who might do quite well. Big Pappa was ignorant of the NBA ways but he is still tall and smooth. We'll see.

Let's not give up on people until it is clear they can't hack it.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Shout out to Temple and Cauley-Stein for that sweet give and go on the baseline. That might be one of my favorite plays of the season. Shows that WCS's basketball IQ is blooming because that play doesn't work unless you react on instinct. The second you think about it, the window is over and the play most likely results in a turnover.
That was incredible as far as I'm concerned.

Garrett Temple has done nothing to dampen my my man crush on him.

He's proof of what you can do if you work to your absolute maximum. Bounced in and out of the league for years and now is a fan favourite and contributing on both sides of the ball. Does all the little things and the best perimeter defender we have had since Ron-Ron.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
MOD NOTE: Several posts have been determined to be irrelevant to the discussion at hand. When you make it about another poster instead of the topic at hand, it's quite possibly going to be removed.

Saw the same thing and thought exactly the same thing.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Since he was benched two games in a row via coach's decision (11/23 & 11/25), these have been his per36 stats:

55% TS% / 57% FG% / 33% FT% / 25.1 PPG / 12.7 RPG / 1.9 APG / 2.2 SPG / 1.9 BPG / 1.5 TOPG / 8.2 FPG

Granted during this 13 game stretch he was averaging only 6:51 per game so extrapolating to a per36 is pretty dangerous, but it's at least good to see some positive numbers coming from him...
the next Tim Duncan?

MOD NOTE: Several posts have been determined to be irrelevant to the discussion at hand. When you make it about another poster instead of the topic at hand, it's quite possibly going to be removed.
For the record, those were some of my greatest posts of all time, and I think you know it. ;)

But I get it. Moving on.