• Reggie

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Miller

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Not enough games like these anymore. Some people think good basketball is watching a bunch of little ballet dancers prance up and down the court throwing up shots and squeaking and falling down like they broke a nail as soon as somebody gets within 5 feet. I'll take the big brahma bull battle any day and twice on Sundays.

Fact is that we've shown this year, both early and late, when we are properly coached and inspired, we are one of the few teams in the league who are a good match for this Grizzlies team. We activated Reggie for this one, went to him behind an inspired JT and a battling ref pecked Boogie, and we won that battle inside against the Grizz's own bully trio. Throw in good work against Conley and Rudy carrying the offense when all seemed lost, and we flat beat the #2 in the West in a big physical brawly technical filled playoff type battle. Just too damned bad this roster will never get a chance to actually try it out in the actual playoffs themselves.

Boxscore

Stats: 35min 28pts (12-20, 1-5, 3-5) 5reb 6ast 1stl 0blk 2TO
Gay ( A- ) -- had a few little hits early, but the thing you immediately noticed was that he was just scrappier than normal. The whole team was. Of course that scrappiness helped lead him into 2 early fouls. so there was a cost. After Cuz had to leave with fouls, really stepped forward very aggressive and scored 9 in a row late in the half. And then repeated that pattern in third as after Cuz left again with his 4th it was Rudy who stepped up to help us fight back. Hit inside, and several nice passes setting guys up. Maybe getting a little too 1 on 1 oriented in the late 3rd, but we needed the points, and he kept on knocking down big shots in the 4th as we pushed the lead. Made a few mistakes down the stretch again as he has looked almost our shakiest guy at those moments. Bad pass attempt trying to feed Cuz inside for an untimely TO, missed a forced shot that Cuz luckily gathered in for a layin. But generally stepped up exactly when needed tonight, stayed efficient, and his scoring held the Grizzlies at bay until the cavalry could arrive. --Brick

Stats: 33min 10pts (3-9, 0-0, 4-6) 11reb 1ast 1stl 4blk 2TO
Thompson (A- ) -- now see if this was the Jason actually on our roster we would have been a lot better team all these years. Did not get off to a very promising start, coming up with a reach in foul on Gasol (when he and Cuz were on the floor together it was mostly Jason on Gasol, Cuz on Randolph) immediately on the first play of the game. But he had energy and aggression from the early going, ran the floor and took a pass from Cuz for the dunk, got a mop up finish, and battled on the defensive glass. Back in and got another junk hoop, and a renewed defensive effort to start the 2nd with a block. Despite the strong physical play it wasn't perfect, as in the third in particular he responded to Cuz leaving with forces and misses. But JT, who along with Ben I think are our "delicate" players mentally, did not get check out from the neck up, continued fighting on defense, and played some excellent help D on Gasol after Cuz returned as the two of them smushed Gasol, Gasol fouled him from the ground, and JT went down the other way an hit both FTs. There was one stutter late as with 1:40 to go he airballed a shot, then lost focus on the other end and allowed an easy layin, but by that point the game was in hand, and JT played a major part in it both teaming with Cuz to give Gasol/Zach all they wanted, and holding down the fort while Cuz was out with fouls. --Brick

Stats: 24min 16pts (6-13, 0-0, 4-6) 9reb 6stl 1stl 1blk 2TO
Cousins ( B- ) -- had himself an adventuresome evening, but got the last laugh in the end. In the early going of this one was once again Magic Cuz, as this "dribble drive motion offense" biz appeared to be centered around our 270lb center doing the dribble driving, and dishing. But he did it efficiently. Both those TOs tonight came on offensive fouls. His passing was willing, sharp, and safe for the most part. Now unfortunately his won offense took a long long time to get going, and almost seeemed like an afterthought. He dribbled into a little jumper, but most of his drives were blocked, and his only attempt at a post move was too quick, something bothersome given that a new idiot coach now has Cuz practicing threes when he should be working on post moves. But beyond all that fouls and physical play became the huge story, in particular in the 2nd and 3rd quarters as an already physical Grizz team tried to bullyball their way out of deficit, and Cuz took it out on and killed a poor chair. In the third quarter things really ratcheted up, as Zach Randolph completely lost it, got a technical jawing at Cuz (and could/maybe even should have gotten a second), THEN clocked Cuz with a 2-elbow arm swingthrough for a foul, and finally the refs capped the sequence by putting the 4th on Cuz on a bad charge call going against Gasol, who was moving, sideways, and probably in the restricted zone. As it often does, that almost killed us, almost. But Rudy and Miller really stabilized us, we hung on, and Cuz returned for the 4th and gave us a dominant push, notching 12pts 5rebs and and several good defensive stands after returning in the final minutes (he put himself on the bench for a few minutes with a dumb play for his 5th foul). He finally fouled out in the final minute on a weird play where he got called for a moving screen in which he did not actually even touch anybody, but by that point the game was over. So fireworks, but a dominant push when it mattered, one dead chair, and one Kings victory. Because its Cuz and we expect the flat superstar line every night I'm not going too high here, but our guys, Cuz included, more than held their own against a frontline that could be in the WCF this year. --Brick

Stats: 32min 16pts (7-15, 2-5, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 2stl 1blk 4TO
McLemore ( B- ) --Ben came out in the first quarter and after starting 1-5 he went on an absolute tear, hitting four shots in a row: a corner three, a dribble-between-the-legs jumper, a quick stop-and-pop jumper off a handoff curl, and a drive to the hoop in a bit of an unsettled situation. At the end of the quarter he had scored 11 points while giving up 2 and it was looking like it was going to be a monster game for him. Unfortunately, from the second quarter on Ben only went 2-6 for five points (two of those misses by necessity at the end of the shot clock) while giving up 17 (on 12 shots) down the stretch. In the second quarter he gave way to Rudy despite his hot start and once he did that he never got it going again. Despite the scoring numbers from Memphis he played some pretty decent defense. He stopped Tony Allen on a one-on-one fast break and played excellent (optimal, even!) defense in the same situation on Conley, only for the Memphis PG to find a way to somehow score it anyhow. He gave good pressure to Courtney Lee on several occasions, and his hassling basically forced Z-Bo into bad position allowing RayMac to get an easy strip. But there were a few other lowlights. The four turnovers were too many, and he had no rebounds and no assists - in fact outside of a few post feed to Cuz that would not have resulted in assists, he only set up one shot in the entire game, getting the ball down to an relatively open JT in the paint for a foul and free throws. So once the first was over it was some good, some bad, and had we not pulled the game out I think he'd have to drop down into the C range. But a win against the Grizz is the rising tide that lifts all boats! --Capt.

Stats: 23min 10pts (3-7, 1-2, 3-4) 1reb 3ast 3stl 0blk 2TO
McCallum ( C+ ) -- Overall, not a bad game for Ray. He especially played well on both ends of the court in the first half. He got the ball up the court quickly, and got it into play. His first basket came on a breakaway where he split two defenders and rolled it in. A bit later, he he nailed a three. Where he was most impressive was on the defensive side of the ball. He hounded Conley all over the court, and held him scoreless during his time on the floor in the first half. He headed to the bench at the 3:11 mark of the first quarter and didn't re-emerge until almost the end of the second quarter. The third quarter was a different story. The Grizz came out and upped their defense, and doubled up on the physical play. At one point Cousins and Randolph got into it. For whatever reason, the Kings decided to abandon what had been working in the first half, and play Memphis game. A huge mistake. The lead they took into the locker room at the half, evaporated quickly. The ship was sinking and the band was playing, and McCallum, the leader of the band, didn't, or couldn't, get everyone to play the same tune. It wasn't all his fault, but he was the lead guard on the floor. Ben only had three assists to go against two turnovers, both of which occurred in the second half within a minute of each other in a sequence of events that's hard to describe. The finish being where the ball was knocked loose, and then seemed to exchange hands several times before ending up with Allen, from who Ray stole the ball, drove the length of the court with numbers, left his feet just past the foul line and threw the ball away. Ray also had three steals on the night, but only one rebound. All in all a good game, and if not for the debacle in the third quarter, he might have had a B. --Baja

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats:22min 6pts (2-6, 0-1, 2-2) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Casspi ( C ) -- in quickly for Rudy who was in foul trouble. Not terribly
effective in the early going with several defensive mistakes, and missed the full length of the layup to close the quarter. Back in near the end of the 3rd and traveled, and even the score he got thre, with a long drive across the lane, looked like another non-called travel. Obviously with all the big bodies banging around inside there was no repeat of the double figure rebounding nights the first couple of Karl games. And yet for all of that I did not really feel like Omri was hurting us out there. He was hustling. And maybe it was just because we heavily won his minutes as a team -- we were a +20 in his 22min, nobody else was more than a +9 (Cuz) --Brick

Stats: 27min 2pts (1-1, 0-0, 0-0) 11reb 1ast 2stl 0blk 2TO
Evans ( B ) -- a wise move was made before this one even began, as after being held out as flat inactive for the first 2 games of the Karl regime, against the big rough and tough Memphis frontline all of a sudden not only was Reggie activated, he became the third leg of the Cuz/JT physical play tripod to match the Memphis bangers. Wasn't terribly effective in his early minutes, got some boards, but mistimed some others, and was involved in several TO plays. But he kept us physical and freed up DWill to pluck his eyebrows or whatever it is he does when playing "power" forward. Reggie was back once we lost Cuz in the third, and had some impact, getting a little layin on a nice Miller pass near the end of the 3rd, getting a steal to start the 4th, and notching several strong boards, although Koufos treetopped him on a couple others. Was not the key guy for us tonight, never a dominant stretch. But the key was that his physical play kept the Grizz from having a dominant stretch even while Cuz and JT were in and out of the lineup with fouls. Even if he wasn't our best big, he played an important role in sustaining or physical play throughout. --Brick

Stats: 15min 8pts (3-5, 2-3, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Williams ( C ) -- not in until the 2nd, but had some impact there as a purely offensive player. Hit a jumper, and two standstill threes on kicks to help us keep scoring. Nothing much else. When he returned in the late 3rd the results were fugly, as basically he just threw a couple of terrible inbounds passes for TOs, and still did nothing else. So you have the three first half jumpers, 1reb 0ast 2 bad TOs and...well, that's DWill. --Brick

Stats: 26min 4pts (2-4, 0-0, 0-0) 6reb 7ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Miller ( B ) -- Miller entered the game at the 3:11 mark of the first quarter and did what Miller does. He moved the ball. He poked and prodded the defense looking for holes, and finding them. At times he's amazing to watch, because he seems to be in slow motion, and then, wa la, there's an open man, and chalk up another assist. Miller ended up with seven assists on the night and should have had more if not for missed shots. He only scored four points but he only took four shots making two of them. And, only two turnovers to go with his seven assists. His biggest moment came when he entered the game in the third quarter with the team in total chaos. We were going south in a hurry. Miller came in and settled everyone down. We had gone from ten up to down two, and everyone was running around without a head. So credit Miller for calming everyone down and stopping the bleeding. From that moment on, with some help from Rudy Gay, the team looked like the team that had started the game. On the defensive side Miller was OK, but not great. He had a hard time keeping Conley in front of him at times, but he got help from JT and Cousins a couple of times when beat. For the most part, Conley wasn't much of a factor tonight. Not sure we would have won this game without Miller. --Baja

Stats: 3min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 2-2) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Landry ( INC ) -- one wonders if Landry may have blown his chance when he flubbed that starting opportunity in Karl's first game. Just that qwuickly he's almost out of the rotation, just inserted here to buy us a few minutes just before halftime wiht both Cuz and JT on the bench with 3 fouls. --Brick

Last edited:
Great win, great game. Everyone contributed and shared the ball. Miller and McCallum combined for good PG game. Cuz was great despite not being top scorer or top rebounder. All for the team. Lots of energy, lots of passing, and we played good defense and the guys looked like they enjoyed doing it.

uh - I think you forgot Rudy on that poll?

As said by others in the game thread, I completely agree that Z-Bo should have been ejected after throwing those elbows in the third. That was a blatantly intentional swing AND CONNECT with both elbows, and at that point in time, it is unbelievable to me that the refs didn't eject him to keep control of the game. I would not be surprised at all if the league fines him tomorrow (if it's possible for them to do so when a tech wasn't called).

The potentially good news is that Cousins actually controlled himself for the most part tonight, especially in the critical moments of Z-Bo getting in his face and screaming (Z-Bo got tech) and then after Z-Bo threw his elbows, and then after Boogie got called for the charge against Gasol.
Each of those were critical moments that the refs likely would have given him a tech if he had responded negatively in any way.

Unless he backed down because Z-Bo's big and scary, then that shows some possible critical growth for Cousins in a vital area in the kind of game where other teams will be looking to exploit him.

Great win. Just curious Brick...what fouls did you think we're not fouls on Cuz? I saw the first 5 and they were all legit. 2-3 of them were of the stupid variety (again) and totally avoidable. I also think he got away with a few more that weren't called.

He's really got to get out of the habit of committing these fouls. Also, on a side note, why is Karl having him shoot the technical fouls?

uh - I think you forgot Rudy on that poll?

As said by others in the game thread, I completely agree that Z-Bo should have been ejected after throwing those elbows in the third. That was a blatantly intentional swing AND CONNECT with both elbows, and at that point in time, it is unbelievable to me that the refs didn't eject him to keep control of the game. I would not be surprised at all if the league fines him tomorrow (if it's possible for them to do so when a tech wasn't called).

The potentially good news is that Cousins actually controlled himself for the most part tonight, especially in the critical moments of Z-Bo getting in his face and screaming (Z-Bo got tech) and then after Z-Bo threw his elbows, and then after Boogie got called for the charge against Gasol.
Each of those were critical moments that the refs likely would have given him a tech if he had responded negatively in any way.

Unless he backed down because Z-Bo's big and scary, then that shows some possible critical growth for Cousins in a vital area in the kind of game where other teams will be looking to exploit him.

I was amazed that they didn't go to the monitor to look at the elbows. That was a flagrant 1 in my book. No wat that should have only been just a common foul. I give Boogie credit for maintaining his composure there.

Great win. Just curious Brick...what fouls did you think we're not fouls on Cuz? I saw the first 5 and they were all legit. 2-3 of them were of the stupid variety (again) and totally avoidable. I also think he got away with a few more that weren't called.
his 5th foul was extremely stupid on his part. especially considering he knew he had 4 already.

but his first 2 were complete BS. the first one Randolph just tripped. the second one Randolph flopped and ran out of bounds to force the ref into the call. the charge he had against Gasol was questionable at best

Bricklayer

He's really got to get out of the habit of committing these fouls. Also, on a side note, why is Karl having him shoot the technical fouls?
The 1st where Zach tripped, and the 4th was NOT a charge. That was a Gasol call (Cuz gets some too drawing charges). Gasol was sideways, no position established, nothing.

#2 (where I thought Cuz committted the foul, the refs tried to let him get away with it, but when it turned into a TO they had no choice), 3rd (challenging Gasol inside) and 5th (just dumb) were legit.

Not big on #6 either. An illegal screen where you almost don't make contact?

I thought it would have been kind of a pointless poll if I had included him
Fair enough - IIRC, sometimes you've put up on the poll "Who would you give the best grade (other than X)" before.

Yeah, the 1st DMC foul was horrible. But they'd called one on the Grizz earlier when DMC tripped over them, so it may have been makeup'ish.
The 2nd foul in hindsight makes the insane contact they let go in the 4th look absurd in comparison. Make no mistake, ZBo flopped out of bounds purposely after he felt the Cousins contact on the rebound. It was his intent all night to get Cousins out of the game - he was pretty blatant at it.

(BTW - why did the refs let the Grizz swipe and paw at every rebound the Kings got, no matter who it was? Usually those are fouls when there's nothing else going on, and the guy grabs someone who just secured a rebound. They only started calling a couple in the 4th quarter - but you HAVE to call those (just like slapping/reaching at the ball) or else the teams are emboldened and figure they should do it even more if they aren't being called.)

#5 foul was totally on Cuz - stupid, stupid foul. He HAS to be smarter than that. Who carers about the 2 points he may have stopped if he gets his 5th foul on the play?

#6 Cuz is horrible on. He frequently sets moving screens, and it is a habit he has to break. In tight games (playoff, hopefully in future) it sets him up for the refs taking him out of the game at critical junctures.
He is horrible at setting screens, and I don;t know why the Kings haven't fixed that problem. The guards just don;t seem to be able to do pick-and-rolls to save their lives with Cousins. It's the major difference between the Kings and nearly every other team in the NBA. They HAVE to get better at it if they are going to have a reliable offense when the other teams cranks up the defense.

They will not win many competitive games by scoring 2 points in over 6+ minutes....

K

KingMilz

That's what real basketball is to me and that's how the NBA should allow players to play, seriously that compared to the Clippers falling down on jumpshots.........I loved Z-Bo getting in Cousins face and Cuz coming back in the 4th (as well as not flopping on the muay thai elbows), the team for the first team actually showed some balls Casspi, Ben, Dre, Ray and JT all chipped in , Rudy had a monster game.

What a great game of basketball two physical teams trying to force there will by any means, not this pansy crap of manufactured stars like Harden/Durrant getting touch fouls. I have not been pumped for a game like that in ages that was literally a playoff type game.

The defense by our backcourt on there backcourt was something else as well, Ray has gone from being a scrub D-Leaguer to a guy who really is a decent back up.

Also never ever again allow Derrick Williams to inbound a ball seri0usly let Rudy Gay or Andre Miller do it.

Game ball to Rudy.

But with the poll Thompson and Ray tie.

JT was battling in there, holding the fort down. Ray did well vs Conley most of the night...forced a little too much but did his job.

Blake Ellington @BlakeEllington
On George Karl's technical, DeMarcus Cousins said Karl told him he would fight that battle for him and "he kept his word."

Hell yeah. Karl - A+
I'm not at all surprised to hear this. While watching the game, it was totally obvious to me that Karl was intentionally getting the technical. I honestly don't even think he was that emotional or upset and he may have not even disagreed with the initial call. It took a couple of possessions before that particular official was running by him when he got the T. Then you could see that his assistants were going to get him to make sure he didn't get tossed but he gave them the "I'm okay." After that, he pretty much moved on and didn't say much to the refs.

It's a total veteran coaches move to have his player's back like this but I just hope while he takes the fall initially with Cuz that eventually Cuz can tone his behavior down. Last night he was "Jason Thompson" like all night with the refs. He had that whiny scowl on his face on a lot of plays and booted a chair after his 3rd foul (see below). He even moped to the bench after his 6th foul. Even if it was a bad call, who really cares? There were 42 seconds or so left and they had secured a win against one of the NBA's best. He just HAS to get over this victim mentality.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/2/25/8...the-heck-out-of-innocent-chair-terrifies-fans

Last edited:
Few people are bigger Boogie fans than me. For what he and that team did for UK basketball recruiting and his style of play, I am grateful. When he was drafted as a King, I think I woke the dead with my wild screams of joy.

This has led me to defend him numerous times. However the only two times in his career that I have been upset with him were the Sean Eliot incident and last night's chair kicking.

One thing I know about DeMarcus though is that nobody is more upset about it than he is because the press it is getting today is overshadowing the teams win.

With that said, there is nobody in the NBA that I want suiting up for my team more than him. I'm sure George Karl will work with him to fix these things so I am not concerned.

That's what real basketball is to me and that's how the NBA should allow players to play, seriously that compared to the Clippers falling down on jumpshots.........I loved Z-Bo getting in Cousins face and Cuz coming back in the 4th (as well as not flopping on the muay thai elbows), the team for the first team actually showed some balls Casspi, Ben, Dre, Ray and JT all chipped in , Rudy had a monster game.

What a great game of basketball two physical teams trying to force there will by any means, not this pansy crap of manufactured stars like Harden/Durrant getting touch fouls. I have not been pumped for a game like that in ages that was literally a playoff type game.

The defense by our backcourt on there backcourt was something else as well, Ray has gone from being a scrub D-Leaguer to a guy who really is a decent back up.

Also never ever again allow Derrick Williams to inbound a ball seri0usly let Rudy Gay or Andre Miller do it.
Or Omri ...

I loved JT's game. He just rises to the challenge when he has a big name opponent to defend and he just goes to another level when the game is physical and chippy. He loves it and thrives on it. That's why I think him and Cuz are a good match. They love the physical side of the game and and defend well as a duo.

Reggie is a bad ass and I love it! Landry is in all sorts of trouble in Karl's system....just doesn't fit!

Love these, physical types of games. Just two teams throwing everything, including the kitchen sink at each other for full 48 minutes!

dude12

Hall of Famer
The Cousins fouls....I don't think it's necessarily the fouls called on Cuz but the inequity the other way around. Cousins on offense......the refs let the defense do way to much grabbing, bumping, bodying on Cuz but its not being allowed when Cuz plays defense. It's BS. I'm glad Karl recognizes AND is doing something about it. All Karl can do is wear down the refs and chew on them all game long.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm not going to be too tough on Cousins last night. He took a double bow from Randolph, he's lucky he didn't get a broke nose or lose some teeth, had him in his face. If he takes a little out on a chair I don't care.
Yep. I'd rather he fight a chair and seethe through halftime than he fight Randolph and get ejected and suspended for a few weeks.

Bricklayer

Few people are bigger Boogie fans than me. For what he and that team did for UK basketball recruiting and his style of play, I am grateful. When he was drafted as a King, I think I woke the dead with my wild screams of joy.

This has led me to defend him numerous times. However the only two times in his career that I have been upset with him were the Sean Eliot incident and last night's chair kicking.

One thing I know about DeMarcus though is that nobody is more upset about it than he is because the press it is getting today is overshadowing the teams win.

With that said, there is nobody in the NBA that I want suiting up for my team more than him. I'm sure George Karl will work with him to fix these things so I am not concerned.
The only two times you have been upset with him were the Sean Elliot thing (where I wouldn't have been upset if he chokeslammed that smug tool if it meant I never had to listen to him again)....and last night's chair kicking incident??

What? You have a soft spot for chairs? :p

Last edited: