[Grades] Grades v. Clippers 11/18/2016

Click the 3 guys (choose 3) you think will start next to Cuz+Gay against the Raptors on Sunday

• Barnes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Koufos

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Lawson

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Afflalo

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Temple

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Collison

Votes: 29 65.9%
  • Casspi

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • McLemore

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Cauley-Stein

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Tolliver

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Link to Boxscore

Starters

Gay ( D+ ) -- have to be concerned now that the long 4 day break may have broken the Super-Rudy momentum of the early weeks. Provided no offensive help at all, and bricking triggered Clippers breaks. But a move to smallball PF vs. Griffin after half bore defensive fruit to salvage a grade.

Cousins ( B+ ) -- had one of the more wild adventures of a game we have seen. Featured everything. The Clippers never remotely stopped him. begant eh game getting everything he wanted...and missing it all. It was terrible. Great moves, missed so many chippees. And it was killing us. 2-10 first quarter. Oh, and Blake lit him up at PF. But Cuz was into the game, competing, kept getting whatever he wanted, set guys up, had a huge game anyway. But a wild one full of brilliance and mistakes.

Koufos ( D ) -- and appears to have ended his career of starting next to Cousins with a whimper. DeAndre lit him up early, and Cuz was getting lit up by Blake. We went small, it worked much better, and now Joerger says Cuz is moving back to C.

Afflalo ( D ) -- the invisible man. Started the game with a good aggressive post score inside, and then just *poof*. Not that he was missing, he wasn't even looking. And Redick lit him up in epic fashion. In the second half did get off a couple of threes, and was not close, but his versatility as a smallball SF helped his lineups work even if he did not.,

Featured Grade
Lawson ( B ) -- Started out looking like what we have come to expect but had himself a game by the end. Faked a three early on then cut to the basket for two. Knocked down a three pointer and one and made the four point play. Made a fast break play to Barnes in the second quarter for two as one of his eight assists on the night. Got beat going over screens a few times. Made a steal on an inbound play after a Cousins three leading to a two on one with Barnes and two points for Lawson.

In the second half really tightened up on D along with the rest of the team. Had a nice dish to Gay for two followed later by a quick burst to the basket for two points on his way to eighteen on the night. Cut the lead to nine with a drive to the basket from the three point line in the fourth. A kick out to Barnes for three to cut the lead to five. Drained his second three pointer on a behind the back pass from Cousins to cut the lead to three with 2:23 left in the game. Unfortunately a bad pass intended for Collison was picked off by CP3 with thirty seconds left in the game that pretty much sealed our fate. An unexpected good game from Lawson.
--Suicide
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Barnes ( A ) -- a few of the foolish/sloppy decisions again of course, but played a huge huge role in our comeback, drained threes, along with Rudy proved the small quick answer to Blake's increasingly perimeter game on defense. Its feast or famine with Matt. This time it was feast.

Cauley-Stein ( C+ ) -- not much in the stats, and the rebounding remains horrid, but in his first half minutes he competed, and the fouls he used up were good ones guarding the hoop. Never returned, but if Koufos is out as a starter, wonder who gets the nod next game.

Collison ( B ) -- the other guys off the bench who helped turn this into a real game after we went small and started the second half with he and Lawson together in a twin PG set. And Collison was largely the shooting guard, and helped by actually, you know, scoring. Added defense on Cp3, although a dumb error quick shooting in final minute hurt.

McLemore ( INC ) -- got in for 3min in the first half while we were getting run out of the building, did not look focused, and got immediately yanked and never called upon again. Seemed a bit much, but getting the feeling Joerger is not screwing around anymore.

Temple ( B- ) -- made his quiet defensive contributions again as he added grit and spine on that end, and hit a big three in the 4th to keep us rolling for his only score.

Tolliver ( INC ) -- did not get in until the 2nd half, quickly screwed up and fouled a 3pt shooter, later made up for it by getting fouled himself on a 3pt shot, and hitting them,

Last edited:
I have to say that when we do go small, like we didi against Portland, I do like the following line up

Cousins
Gay
Afflalo
Temple
Collison

There is a solid amount of shooting and defense on that team to make it interesting.

I'm glad we have a coach, who fixes mistakes instead of stubbornly holding onto something, that doesn't work well.
From my point of view the NBA is about quickness, mobility and getting the most efficient shots by moving the ball nowadays and not about outmuscling your opponent and playing 1vs1.
We tried to go big in the first half and suffered through the consequences, but almost came back by going small. It's about beating guys like Reddick to their spots. DC and Lawson did that in the second half, while Barnes and Gay did a good job on Blake.
I hope Joerger is not the only one able to fix mistakes and our FO finally goes out and finds us another competent wing player, who is a ferocious defender and can hit 3's (or they could simply give their rookie a chance).
The Kings would be the perfect fit for a younger player, who fits into a backup role and would have the chance to learn from Matt Barnes, what it takes to make it in the NBA without a lot of talent. And in a year or two Matt can happily hand the torch over to his successor.

I made my poll options before I learned that Joerger plans to sit Koufos. :( If I had to do it over again, I'd say he is going to try Matt Barnes at 4 to start but he won't get more than 30 minutes per night. My guess is he will get 27 MPG.

The Kings have more heart than they have had in years. They really do not give up. It is very easy to like Matt Barnes after a game like last night. Small ball seems to be a winning formula against certain teams.

It was worth watching the game last night just to see the Barnes stuff late and the reaction by the Clippers.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I like how Joerger isn't knee jerk reactionary but he's also willing to make changes to the lineup. It's one of the differences between Joerger and Karl. Karl rode that Rondo, Collison, Belli lineup and became stubborn and dug in.....just too much ego involved. That small lineup, along with Karl's lack of giving 2 craps about defense, was abysmal. Joerger has the wherewithal to at least go small with the idea that we are going to stop the other team,not try and outscore them with no regards to defense.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
moral victory number one thousand and two...I'd applaud this comeback but I just can't do it. Seen it all too many times before, the Kings decide they want to start playing hard when they are down 15+ and then always fall short. They wanted to make an effort at the very least in front of a national audience and their fans. Afflalo starting is hurting my eyes more and more, there is too many paint players in the starting unit with Cousins, Gay & Afflalo. I'm glad Joerger has decided to move Boogie back to the 5.

K

KingMilz

I made my poll options before I learned that Joerger plans to sit Koufos. :( If I had to do it over again, I'd say he is going to try Matt Barnes at 4 to start but he won't get more than 30 minutes per night. My guess is he will get 27 MPG.
I rather Barnes be going against frontline guys when he's fresh and not to start the game cause imo if he starts and goes against top line guys while they are fresh they will wear hm down and make him less effective where as if they are somewhat fatigued or wounded he can go in on them like he did Blake towards the end of the game against the Clippers. I say start Tolliver run a couple plays for Cousins to force a double and see if AT has his shot going if he does not than bring in whoever.

I rather Barnes be going against frontline guys when he's fresh and not to start the game cause imo if he starts and goes against top line guys while they are fresh they will wear hm down and make him less effective where as if they are somewhat fatigued or wounded he can go in on them like he did Blake towards the end of the game against the Clippers. I say start Tolliver run a couple plays for Cousins to force a double and see if AT has his shot going if he does not than bring in whoever.
I know it is rare on this forum but I actually agree with you and would like to revise my original statement to your point of view because it makes rational sense and passes the eye test. Well done.