[Grades] Grades v. Clippers 11/01/2013

Who's got to be better to get the win tommorow?

• Salmons

Votes: 15 33.3%
  • Patterson

Votes: 20 44.4%
  • Grevis

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • McLemore

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...just providing a scenario where a team would unload a quality SF to us...
There's the paradox. Teams don't just "unload" what you call "a quality SF." They manage to get good value for them, something we aren't able to provide. Unless we can find some very incriminating pictures of the right person, we aren't gonna pull off a miraculous deal that gets rid of our spare parts for your "quality SF" who, for the record, is not IMHO named Rudy Gay.

Outlaw was astronomically better than Salmons tonight. as long as he just hustles and doesn't try to be the man on Offense he will be a better option than Salmons in any situation
Outlaw has great length, which is always useful. For example, his follow up dunk put back at the end of the quarter. Salmons never makes that play, because he's a shooting gaurd who's been pushed into playing forward. He's not a forward

I don't think going out to get a forward who's a scorer, fits into the plans right now. The plans involve maxing out Cousins game ASAP, and that involves getting him a lot of plays and looks. Bringing in someone who will take a lot of shots won't help this process.

That's why Moute makes perfect sense

i voted for McLemore because we know he can play good his shots just haven't fallen (didnt get a lot of looks tonight) and Grevis has been decent. the other 2 i have no hope for especially Salmons

McLemore is nervous right now, you can tell. In this case i think the rowdy home crowd has worked against him(it will work for him once he gets his confidence up). I think his breakout performance will come on the road.

IT scoring numbers:

22.5 PPG
65%FG
85% 3pt
78% FT
7 FTA/game

Absolutely bonkers. He's having fun off the bench, that's for sure. I think he'll fully embrace his role once he realizes that it doesn't matter that he's not starting and that he'll be getting 28-30 MPG no matter what

IT scoring numbers:

22.5 PPG
65%FG
85% 3pt
78% FT
7 FTA/game

Absolutely bonkers. He's having fun off the bench, that's for sure. I think he'll fully embrace his role once he realizes that it doesn't matter that he's not starting and that he'll be getting 28-30 MPG no matter what
I've always been a fan, but we might be seeing a transition from seeing his name in the personnel moves forum to being looked at as a permanent fixture. Of course it is early in the season. You can't teach heart, no doubt about that

The 3 spot is an absolute albatross, as we all could have predicted.

From 205 it looked like Vasquez is outta shape/not quick enough to play the 1 (yet)
We really need MT23 to score 15 and shoot 44-45%
Patterson is the ghost man, as in invisable
JT will never have good enough hands
Team will win 5 more games than last year just because of Isiah and Couz.
Are hopes are with IT and MT to be competitive

IT scoring numbers:

22.5 PPG
65%FG
85% 3pt
78% FT
7 FTA/game

Have to give him props, he's shooting the ball really reallywell and for the most part I haven't felt like he's been hogging the ball. Pretty significant difference from what I was seeing in the preseason. He's moving the ball and taking what's there, providing us with much needed scoring off the bench. I have no complaints.

There's the paradox. Teams don't just "unload" what you call "a quality SF." They manage to get good value for them, something we aren't able to provide. Unless we can find some very incriminating pictures of the right person, we aren't gonna pull off a miraculous deal that gets rid of our spare parts for your "quality SF" who, for the record, is not IMHO named Rudy Gay.
You might want to check with Salmons about that. He clearly manages to get incriminating pictures of every coach he's played for in his time here, because he continues to average 25-30 mpg every season despite being our most unreliable and ineffective player almost every night.

Have to give him props, he's shooting the ball really reallywell and for the most part I haven't felt like he's been hogging the ball. Pretty significant difference from what I was seeing in the preseason. He's moving the ball and taking what's there, providing us with much needed scoring off the bench. I have no complaints.
He's filled the "Jet Terry" role extremely well. He takes over games when Cousins isn't in and has been actively looking to get him the ball first when they play together. He and Cousins have made an exciting offensive duo thus far. We just need our spot-up shooters to actually hit some freaking shots.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It was a very hard fought entertaining game. Two guys made an impact on the game - Cuz & IT. The rest didn't. Shooting from the 2, 3, and 4 was horrid. Maybe Thornton shot well near the end, but it was too little, too late. The team did very well in the TO category, giving themselves a shot to win. The defense on the Clips 2-guards was very poor. Patterson has got to show up with his shooting to have any chance in this game. Patterson is a vet. He can do better, and unless he's not healthy, I expect him to do better. As for the 3 position, it was almost like the Kings were playing 4 against 5. The 3 was nonexistent.

The thing about Salmons is that his game left him a year before the Kings traded for him. He lost a step and it showed up in the stats. We didn't have a up-to-par scouting department and nothing made it more visible than trading for Salmons. Obviously, the current personnel management group wouldn't have traded for him, but hat's neither here nor there. He can provide for a contender where he provides limtied experience or for a tank where provides glory and shame. That's his future, as brim and grim as it be.

The best thing is to identify our sprouts and see what gardens in which yee may grow. That is where you may find some sprouts.

This is the first year in a long time, where I can say I am not worried even though we may have lost. The Kings team probably garnered more respect in this loss than they ever got in a win in the past three years. I hope they know that. The first thing you do to establish yourself as a winner is to make a home game a P.I.A for the visitor, and I think the Kings have done that.

There's room for improvement, but that's ten steps ahead of "what the hell are they?'

Cousins was a true defensive anchor tonight - blocking shots, making great rotations, using his long arms as a disruption (3 steals), defending the pick and roll, running out at shooters to try to clean up after our hideous perimeter D tonight...the list goes on and on. A few highlights: rotated on D to thwart a Blake Griffin baseline drive that would otherwise have resulted in a dunk; stopped DeAndre Jordan trying to drive to the hoop and forced a turnover; blocked a Griffin runner in the lane; forced Griffin into a very bad miss in the post; took a charge on a Dudley baseline drive on a sweet rotation; crowded Chris Paul on the perimeter and forced him into throwing the ball away; blocked CP3 on a drive late in the fourth (but got a Tech for some minor, minor taunting). He was our best defensive player tonight, by a large margin.
But I thought he was lazy on defense and likes to step on kittens.

Someone looking for a salary dump with Fredette, Patterson, Salmons + pick. The Raptors seem to be shopping Gay. A first round draft pick(in a strong draft class apparently) and a bunch of expiring is probably more valuable to them.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't our 1st round pick unmovable because of the Casspi, future 1st round pick for Hickson deal that was made with the Cavs a couple years ago?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't our 1st round pick unmovable because of the Casspi, future 1st round pick for Hickson deal that was made with the Cavs a couple years ago?
Believe we can only trade it on draft night. That said, if we trade this pick I will scream. You don't trade this pick, especially if it's a high one. And not unless you're getting an all-star in return, because this draft has the potential to completely change the course of a franchise. Here's hoping that karma takes care of the years of horrible luck this year.

While watching the Clippers play the Kings I was struck by a thought. The Clips starting 5 are better 1- 4 than the Kings starting 5. Only Cousins has an advantage at the 5. Then if you compare the next 5 off the bench for each team only IT has an advantage and that can be argued I guess.

At this point in time the Clippers starters and backups at the 2 and 3 are better than anyone the Kings play at those spots. Think about it. none of the wings on the Kings are better than Dudley, Redick, Crawford and Barnes. Now in time Mclemore may be better than them all, but not right now.

That is quite a void to overcome yet the Kings were in this game and it was entertaining. I thought the Defense of the Kings was pretty good. The Clippers did get too many open looks but there was not a layup drill in the paint like we have seen in the past. I thought Malone putting Outlaw on Crawford was a nice chess like move.

I'm looking forward to this era of Kings basketball.

Go Kings, Beat GSW!!!

Totally agree. He hasn't hogged the ball, and he's been taking good shots for the most part. Good stuff.

Agreed. and for what they pay him, he is the best 'bargain' in the NBA. I'm constantly amazed at how well he can create his own shot. Not just any shot, but consistently good looks. Tells how you talented of a player he is. Kid is 5'9 and he's out there creating good looks against solid NBA talent.

We need to keep him as our 6th man.

To the OP's question, answer - all of them. We shouldn't care which one or two of our bunch of wing players has a bad night as long as one or two have a good night.

The team was gritty last night. It wasn't enough but it was fun and encouraging. Just think, if Cousuns, Vasquez, and Thomas could play a little better we would really be in games like this. Just saying ......