[Grades] Grades v. Cavaliers 1/25/2017

Kings player of the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Arron Afflalo has been much better at Small Forward than at Shooting Guard, since he has lost a step.

I think Afflalo can prove his worth as a Small Forward from here on out.

Arron Afflalo has been much better at Small Forward than at Shooting Guard, since he has lost a step.

I think Afflalo can prove his worth as a Small Forward from here on out.
His shooting numbers on the year are starting to look very respectable. Really, on paper, he's looking like the role player we wanted him to be. Add that to MRich and WCS coming around, it's really nice to have some different options available.

I think the sooner they move Richardson and maybe Willie into the starting lineup the better. I want to see what they can do with Cuz as that is our future.
I disagree. You keep them coming off the bench and hungry for minutes until they show this kind of effort and production consistently. Rewarding them with a starting job too soon can have drawbacks.

Kobe Bryant came off the bench for the Lakers the first 2 seasons of his career. He learned how to become a pro and perform every night because of it. I think Trill and Malachi fighting for minutes is crucial to their development. Small steps, my friend. It's not like the Kings are gonna win a title this season anyway. It's all about development for those guys.

Willie's per36 numbers from the last 4 games:

61% TS% / 55% FG% / 88% FT% / 15.4 PPG / 10.5 RPG / 0.0 APG / 2.0 SPG / 1.5 BPG / 0.0 TOPG / 2.5 FPG

Hooray for small sample sizes!

EDIT: Per100 possessions, the team is also 35.2 points better with him on the floor vs. when he is off. The offense scores 10.9 more points with him on vs. off and the defense gives up 24.3 less points with him on vs. off. Again, it's only a 4 game sample, but it's nice to see him headed in the right direction. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I love how you just make this stuff up. Guy sucks the entire season, has two good games and all of a sudden he's got this perfect relationship with a coach who has been developing him so well all the time. You could make a movie out of this story you just told. Basketball player with no structure and a bad coach, along comes this guy who takes an interest in his life, and after a tumultuous start to their relationship they blossom and flourish together and become the greatest winning duo in NBA history. You should become a creative story writer if you aren't one already.

Btw, I thought this was one of the most entertaining and best Kings games I've seen in a long time.
What is the necessity to pick on a fellow forum member?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Willie's per36 numbers from the last 4 games:

61% TS% / 55% FG% / 88% FT% / 15.4 PPG / 10.5 RPG / 0.0 APG / 2.0 SPG / 1.5 BPG / 0.0 TOPG / 2.5 FPG

Hooray for small sample sizes!

EDIT: Per100 possessions, the team is also 35.2 points better with him on the floor vs. when he is off. The offense scores 10.9 more points with him on vs. off and the defense gives up 24.3 less points with him on vs. off. Again, it's only a 4 game sample, but it's nice to see him headed in the right direction. Let's hope he keeps it up.
Small sample size aside, that's a pretty great impact.

Might have just been the learning curve of Joerger's system. Maybe it was him trying to do to much, instead of focus on his role, probably a combination of the two, but if WCS can start to put it together for us, that'd be huge.

Last edited:
What is the necessity to pick on a fellow forum member?
Well when a fellow forum member starts spinning stories that are loose truths at best then I think I have a right to call it out right? Or do you seriously think it's reasonable to blame half a season of poor play this year on Karl's "poison" and then give Joerger all the credit for 2 games of good play? WCS played pretty well overall last season, but that was poison and lack of structure? Joerger has zero reputation for developing young players, hasn't exactly been playing them much all year and when the young guys play one or two good games all of a sudden people are making him out to be this great and glorious coach. GOAT 18-27 coach.

Last edited:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You can disagree with a person. Attack the idea and not the person. It is a safe approach and it is a civil approach. I did not ask for a relitigation of your point but the way you expressed it. Perhaps that is too complicated.

I don't know what your last sentence meant. I don't like name calling.

have you stopped to consider that it may have been important to acclimate malachi richardson to the nba through a combination of developmental league play and kings team practices, and that coach joerger didn't want to thrust richardson into the fray until he was more prepared? i don't know about you, but the failure of ben mclemore is fresh in my mind, and he's a player who was undoubtedly given too much responsibility too soon. that richardson looked like a seasoned vet out there last night is evidence to me that joerger has taken the proper approach with his rookies; know that they're ready before risking their confidence on the court.
Yes... but at the same time Malachi looked far more ready than Ben ever did, even in summer league and limited garbagetime minutes. What I'm saying is I really think this is more to Malachi's credit than it is Joerger's. Let's see if he can sustain it.

Yes... but at the same time Malachi looked far more ready than Ben ever did, even in summer league and limited garbagetime minutes. What I'm saying is I really think this is more to Malachi's credit than it is Joerger's. Let's see if he can sustain it.
unless a rookie is exceptionally gifted, a la lebron james or karl anthony-towns, i think such a claim does quite a disservice to the coaching staff in question. richardson looks good out there. he looks ready. he looks confident. and some of that is certainly a credit to his own preparation, and some of that is surely a credit to the coaching staff's management of its player personnel. there's a difference between looking ready in summer league and being ready when your number is called against the defending champs. i don't believe for a second that playing in a joerger-paralleled system in the d-league and logging time with the kings in practice and working individually with kings coaches isn't having a measurable impact on richardson's nba readiness.

unless a rookie is exceptionally gifted, a la lebron james or karl anthony-towns, i think such a claim does quite a disservice to the coaching staff in question. richardson looks good out there. he looks ready. he looks confident. and some of that is certainly a credit to his own preparation, and some of that is surely a credit to the coaching staff's management of its player personnel. there's a difference between looking ready in summer league and being ready when your number is called against the defending champs. i don't believe for a second that playing in a joerger-paralleled system in the d-league and logging time with the kings in practice and working individually with kings coaches isn't having a measurable impact on richardson's nba readiness.
Put it this way. Ben is also logging time with the Kings in practice and working individually with Kings coaches. He's also got a lot more actual NBA experience and is a relatively young player. From a coaching preparation standpoint, what makes Malachi then more prepared than Ben? As a parallel, WCS looked good last year too, but in this very thread you have people saying Karl was poison to him, suggesting that him looking ready then was not to the coach's credit. So what's the difference?

D

DC222

You can disagree with a person. Attack the idea and not the person. It is a safe approach and it is a civil approach. I did not ask for a relitigation of your point but the way you expressed it. Perhaps that is too complicated.

I don't know what your last sentence meant. I don't like name calling.
Your passive aggressive "perhaps that is too complicated" is kinda name calling. Definitely talking down to someone. Both are unappreciated imo

D

DC222

George Karl told WCS not to shoot. You can give George Karl credit if you want, I don't think there was any,development going on.
I would have to agree at this point WCS should play more of a put back, hustle role for points. I don't think we want him shooting outside of 5-10 feet. He got a lot of playing time under George and seemed more in the flow defensively than he has most of this year. Now if he sustains what he did the last 2 games sure I think the argument that he has progressed until Joeger is valid.