[Grades] Grades v. Cavaliers 1/25/2017

Kings player of the game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As an aside, Boogie had 9 assists tonight. Unless my math is off that gives him 76 assists in 12 games in January, an average of 6.3ast/gm. His monthly assists totals have gone:

Oct: 2.3
Nov: 3.5
Dec: 4.3
Jan: 6.3
That's nice, the recipe with Boogie has always been very simple. Throw it down to him, wait for the double team, pass it around to the open man for the open shot. The problem was we never really picked up guys who could hit shots.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Yeah it'll be interesting when he gets his body into NBA shape. The funny thing is Papa G needs to lose weight, while Skal needs to gain weight.
Papa's still young. Hate to keep bringing up Marc Gasol but Marc had the same "big dude who showed occasional skill but lacked the NBA body" issue as a young dude. This isn't to say that Vlade just drafted Marc Gasol 2.0 or something.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Papa's still young. Hate to keep bringing up Marc Gasol but Marc had the same "big dude who showed occasional skill but lacked the NBA body" issue as a young dude. This isn't to say that Vlade just drafted Marc Gasol 2.0 or something.
yeah, mostly because Papa shows virtually none of the skills that Gasol did :)

marc was a Gasol. A fat Gasol, but a Gasol. Passing, shooting, and some post work. Papa...well, he's from Europe. Even if we were to get good enough for the league it would be as a radically different sort of player.

That's nice, the recipe with Boogie has always been very simple. Throw it down to him, wait for the double team, pass it around to the open man for the open shot. The problem was we never really picked up guys who could hit shots.
It's more than that though. The step Cousins has taken with his passing this season is that he's able to make plays on the move.

In past years he could pass out of double teams if they came on the catch but struggled if they came once he put the ball on the floor. This season he's reacting better and finding the open man even after he's started making his move.

Thats at least intruiging for a guy whose made out to be a complete laughing stock despite being 19 years old and not having played a single meaningful NBA minute.
Crapping the bed vs. terrible SL opponents didn't help much either. Wasn't even the fact that he was missing shots.. the dude straight up looked like he didn't belong on a SL floor. Wasn't able to do simple basketball things like backing down someone 5inches shorter and 40lbs lighter than him. With that being said, he's improved his conditioning a lot. Needs to shed a lot of the "baby fat" if you want to call it that.. Once upon a time, Papa was actually in really good shape....:http://media.philly.com/images/PapagiannisGeorgios.jpg

16 yearsold and all, but still.

Papa is more NBA ready than Skal. I think he could legitimately play 15mins in the NBA right now.

As an aside, Boogie had 9 assists tonight. Unless my math is off that gives him 76 assists in 12 games in January, an average of 6.3ast/gm. His monthly assists totals have gone:

The major thing I don't like about passing Cousins is the fact that he does a lot of predetermined passes...it's like he starts with this mindset of "ok, I'm going to get an assist this play instead of looking for my shot". Of course, not all of his passes are like this. He's still not really a good instinctive passer. There were probably at least 3-4 times tonight in the 4th Q alone where he got doubled or tripled team, and decided not to pass the ball out.

I don't like point-Cousins that much, but I like passing Cousins.

marc was a Gasol. A fat Gasol, but a Gasol. Passing, shooting, and some post work. Papa...well, he's from Europe. Even if we were to get good enough for the league it would be as a radically different sort of player.
When Gasol was Papa's age he was getting less than 6 mpg in the Euroleague and shooting under 40%

Marc Gasol was 22 when he was drafted and 24 when he played his first NBA season.

Papagiannis is a different kind of center but still capable of making a leap.

And I think this not only key to our better play but key to the improved play of the rest of the team. Cuz's current play, more sharing the ball will will help make heros of a lot of our players. We are moving. Go Kings!

I agree but I would also say Marc was 24 his rookie year. Did you watch him play at age 19? Bigs are the ones who take longest to develop.

Well, it's about time!

Nice to see the team play inspired ball after such a horrible home stand. Who'd have thunk this team would be a better road team? Crazy.

Funny but when Grant and Jerry and the post game crew were saying how Cuz had an off game, I thought to myself what a misnomer that is. Sure, he may not have shot it well, but the Kings had no chance in this game without him. He showed the true value of a star player because the opposition paid so much attention to him that it allowed the supporting cast to go off. Games like tonight are precisely why you want a DeMarcus Cousins on your team. To draw attention away from everyone else. But when Cuz needed to score himself, he pretty much did. But most importantly, he made the correct basketball plays. When the open player was there, he passed it.

We all got a glimpse of what kind of team can be built around Big Cuz. If surrounded with guys that can make open shots and play pesky defense, this team could be really good with him at the center of it all.

Sent from my iPhone

Dude can shoot now that we know Boogie is staying Popa will be very valuable getting 15-20mpg behind him. And on that this draft looks so promising and could be huge in the future. With Malichi showing so much promise, than Bogdon potential coming offf the bench, and Skal and Popa. That's 4 good rotation players in 1 draft. Well played Vlade well played.

When Gasol was Papa's age he was getting less than 6 mpg in the Euroleague and shooting under 40%

Marc Gasol was 22 when he was drafted and 24 when he played his first NBA season.

Yes, and the D-League's level of competition is similar to Europe. He's actually showing some of the same type of skills as Marc against lesser competition

From today:

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Gonna be interesting to see how the Kings develop without Rudy, there were rumblings that we were actually better without him earlier this year and after he got injured, we laid a stinker vs the Grizzlies and now once again have looked competitive since then.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yes, and the D-League's level of competition is similar to Europe. He's actually showing some of the same type of skills as Marc against lesser competition

From today:

That doesn't even look like the same guy who couldn't back down anyone from any distance in summer league! Do I know if he'll develop into a useful NBA player? I don't, but I do know that is a HELL of a lot more encouraging than what we saw just about 6 months or so ago.

Sent from my iPhone

Dude can shoot now that we know Boogie is staying Popa will be very valuable getting 15-20mpg behind him. And on that this draft looks so promising and could be huge in the future. With Malichi showing so much promise, than Bogdon potential coming offf the bench, and Skal and Popa. That's 4 good rotation players in 1 draft. Well played Vlade well played.
He needs to go for stronger moves more often. He relies on that putshot/hook thing he has every time. He also has no move to the left. You notice he gets rolling once he just goes up and dunks. That needs to be his mentality and then work in that hook shot in the 3ft out range.

His rim protection is a bit ahead of where I thought it would be. In much better shape. He'll have to box out at NBA level, which doesn't always do in dleague since he's much bigger than everyone.

Also, Cousins has brought up his ball handling game while in Reno. Much improved from Summer League.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The first time I saw Marc Gasol play, I thought my god, he's terrible. He'll never make it in the NBA. A year later, and about 40 pounds lighter, he looked like an entirely different player. I didn't even recognize him.

Sent from my iPhone

What stuck out to me is he has absolutely no confidence using his left hand. He didn't use it once

Sent from my iPhone

Though Gasol was definitely more skilled, I don't remember him as athletic as Papa g. You can tell from his dunk put backs that Papa g has got some athleticism to him.