Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Lawson

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Link to Boxscore

Gay ( B+ ) -- played a stinky first half where he again got off to the stupidly bad start, blowing shots, taking bad ones, and looking overwhelmed by King James' presence. but maybe somebody challenged him, because he emerged as a new man after half, attacked, drained threes, blocked shots, and very much held his own.

Tolliver ( C ) -- this is kind of a "Tolliver C", as in anybody with actual talent would get less of a grade for 7pts 6reb on 3-10 shooting in 34 minutes. Overpowered by Love on defense early, missed several in between shots as he only knows the 3, and blew a board inexcusable late, having it bounce off his fingertips. Still, steady in his drab? There through both good times and bad.

Cousins ( A- ) -- missed his threes, and a few too many turnovers, although most were of a more understandable form than the ones some of his teammates were throwing. but otherwise another strong strong game, just muscled little Tristan away from any boards, overpowered the Cavs inside early, then picked them apart with passing when they doubled him (averaging 4.95 ast/gm since Dec 1).

Temple ( C ) -- we got spurts of his defense, but this was not a vintage night. He provided little on the other end, and in fact for much of the early going was one of the problematic Kings throwing the ball all over the snazzy new arena.

Collison ( C+ ) -- got off to a sluggish start to the game, almost per usual. But was one of the first Kings to wake up and give Cuz some scoring help in the third, finally hitting his shots, and selecting the right ones, including those little elbow jumpers he likes. Still lost all the 4th quarter minutes to an excellent Ty Lawson.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Barnes ( C ) -- a mistake prone player just continued to make bonehead moves, missed all his threes, but also dug in and fought on the glass against larger/stronger Cavs, and fearlessly attacked the rim. Feisty defense on both Love and Lebron.

Koufos ( INC ) -- grabbed some boards in a first half stint in relief of Cousins, but looked a bit the fish out of water, and Cousins was brought back again and again to give us as many minutes as possible in an upset bid.

Lawson ( B+ ) -- his first half minutes were not particularly remarkable, but once again in the second half showed moxie and leadership aggressively attacking the rim again and again and actually getting us as close as 6pts down in the early 4th. Defensive size was a problem, but competitiveness was not.

Casspi ( INC ) -- restricted to a first half stint that took place as we began to wake up. Not a whole lot to grade, but did have a nice 1 on 1 defensive stand against LeBron, forcing a turnover.

Afflalo ( D+ ) -- gets a little grade for being the first King to get the really revolutionary idea that maybe if you know, just hit the wide open kickout pass when they double Cuz then the game will be a lot easier. Otherwise, scuffy minutes with several bad turnovers. Did like his pissed off just knock the annoying screeners out of your way defensive sequence though. That's the spirit.

McLemore ( INC ) -- just the garbagetime

Richardson ( INC ) -- just the garbagetime

Cauley Stein ( INC ) -- just the garbagetime

Last edited:
L

Lopes

Not sure there was a Kings player of the game in this one. An all out low energy, TO full game. Fast breaks scoring was totally one sided.

Bricklayer

Not sure there was a Kings player of the game in this one. An all out low energy, TO full game. Fast breaks scoring was totally one sided.
I assume you turned it off at half?

Reasonable to do of course. But in which case your answer is "Cousins."

On the other hand if you watched the whole game suddenly other guys came to play too and our "low energy" game turned into another of our comebacks with the us getting the lead down to single digits in the 4th.

I still have a glimmer of hope for Rudy, in that he has the talent to be an additive and I think he can be convinced to stay if this comes together at the end of the season. Part of me questions if we can get anything for him in a trade, but I still need to see more if it can work with him

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

On the other hand if you watched the whole game suddenly other guys came to play too and our "low energy" game turned into another of our comebacks with the us getting the lead down to single digits in the 4th.
He said in the game thread that he was at the game.

L

Lopes

I like how the team is willing to pass, they are just so bad at it.
Players so often catch passes in uncomfortable positions.
There were a few sequences where nobody wanted to shoot and it ended up w Lawson who was prob the last choice.

L

Lopes

I wouldn't give a "player of the game". The Kings as a team don't deserve it. Too many careless unforced TOs.. Maybe add another cavs player of the game nomination.

I thought the Kings resembled the Spurs at times last night............except for all the turnovers.............and the spotty three point defense.

Overall I cannot say I am not pleased, good game fellas.

Joerger with crapty rotations again. How does he keep getting away with this? I'd like to see somebody question him on this subject.

Kings inability to guard the 3pt line...again.

I think Joerger is the best coach we've had since Eric Musselman, and that's not saying a lot.

Joerger with poopooty rotations again. How does he keep getting away with this? I'd like to see somebody question him on this subject.

Kings inability to guard the 3pt line...again.

I think Joerger is the best coach we've had since Eric Musselman, and that's not saying a lot.
Specifically what did you not like about the rotations??? I don't see Kawhi sitting over on the Kings bencho_O

Specifically what did you not like about the rotations??? I don't see Kawhi sitting over on the Kings bencho_O
It's his rotations throughout the entire year. Starts Afflalo. Has Casspi come off the bench. All of a sudden, Casspi gets DNPs and reduced minutes. Afflalo out of nowhere, gets DPNs. Ben starts. Tolliver starts off with limited minutes, and now he's play 30mins. WCS has a role off the bench, then gets DNPd. Koufos gets benched for Barnes. Then a few games later, starts again. Afflalo suddenly gets minutes back from thin air, but off the bench. Ben gets DNPd, then Temple starts. Casspi plays sometimes, but sometimes he doesn't. Koufos gets benched for Tolliver.

Vs. Detroit, Koufos played 22mins while Casspi played 18mins. However, last night, Koufos and Omri came off the bench to play a short 6min stint. They do a solid job. But after that, they never see the floor again the rest of the game.

It's things like that which make no sense. There's absolutely 0 consistency in Joerger's rotation. I understand he's still trying to experiment with lineups, but how are you going to expect players to be "ready" and play at a high level when they have 0 clue, when or IF they're going to play again?

I'm not arguing that Casspi or Willie should be getting minutes. I'm arguing that he needs to be more consistent with his rotations. Yanking players all over isn't going to help anyone.

Bricklayer

It's his rotations throughout the entire year. Starts Afflalo. Has Casspi come off the bench. All of a sudden, Casspi gets DNPs and reduced minutes. Afflalo out of nowhere, gets DPNs. Ben starts. Tolliver starts off with limited minutes, and now he's play 30mins. WCS has a role off the bench, then gets DNPd. Koufos gets benched for Barnes. Then a few games later, starts again. Afflalo suddenly gets minutes back from thin air, but off the bench. Ben gets DNPd, then Temple starts. Casspi plays sometimes, but sometimes he doesn't. Koufos gets benched for Tolliver.

Vs. Detroit, Koufos played 22mins while Casspi played 18mins. However, last night, Koufos and Omri came off the bench to play a short 6min stint. They do a solid job. But after that, they never see the floor again the rest of the game.

It's things like that which make no sense. There's absolutely 0 consistency in Joerger's rotation. I understand he's still trying to experiment with lineups, but how are you going to expect players to be "ready" and play at a high level when they have 0 clue, when or IF they're going to play again?

I'm not arguing that Casspi or Willie should be getting minutes. I'm arguing that he needs to be more consistent with his rotations. Yanking players all over isn't going to help anyone.
Cavs don't play with a real center + Cuz was playing excellent ball. So we played Cuz 39 minutes, which left very little time for Kosta. And with the Cavs using Frye off the bench, that's a terrible matchup for Kosta as well.

The SF/stretch rotation remains a mess, but there is a clear pattern in the second half of coach going with just whoever is hot and going to compete. We consistently, almost every game, get a big push from a group of benchers, but other than Lawson and/or Temple often being at the soul of it, I don't think Joerger is particular who brings it.

OK, what about last nights game? What would you have preferred?