[Grades] Grades v. Blazers 11/11/2016

Now how much better are the Blazers than us?

• Lots and lots. And lots.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Tons

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • A bit

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • A smidge

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Aren't really

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Losers got lucky

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Not better, just more experienced together

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Link to Boxscore

Starters

Gay ( A ) -- for much of this game had a "+" next to his A while playing one of the smartest and toughest games of #2 guy he's had since arriving in Sacto. he hustled, he attacked and attacked. But in the end he had the game on his fingertips not once, but twice in the final 15 seconds of OT, and both times he came up short, and hence there went the "+", and the "W".

Cousins ( A ) -- for part of the night Cuz had an A+ too, as through three quarters he had stayed strong, been a handful, and he'd kept relentless even in the face of mugging and cheapness from Meyers Leonard, of course. but when he returned in the mid-4th to close it out he initially failed badly, going 0-3 with 2 TOs. And did not recover the solid A until his heroics tied the game in regulation and put us up in OT.

Koufos ( B ) -- the incongruity of having Koufos start next to Cousins sometimes throws people off, but he again did a solid job of it again, and the Blazers have no offensive bigs to make it dangerous. Showed and recovered well, and with the Blazer bigs occupied with Cuz and Rudy, was able to use his fugly around the hoop game effectively.

Featured Grade
Afflalo ( B ) -- It was actually quite a good scoring night for Afflalo, hitting 5-9 shots and 5-6 free throws. He did a good amount of his damage in the paint, posting up the smaller McCollum, and on occasion Crabbe and Turner. But the unsung part of Arron's game tonight was hid defense. Let's look at it this way: Between Lillard, McCollum, Crabbe, and Turner (all of whom Afflalo covered tonight), the Portland backcourt scored 85 points tonight. Afflalo allowed 9 of those 85 - a contested three for McCollum, two jumpers for Crabbe, and a pair of free throws for Lillard. That's it. That's what the Blazers got against Afflalo. On top of that, he made perhaps THE signature defensive play of the game, stopping Harkless in transition with under 20 seconds on the game clock, allowing us to tie it up and get into OT. In a lot of ways it was a quiet game, but he definitely earned his 31 minutes. --Capt

Lawson ( D ) -- look, the Lawson thing has gotten...I don't know where the old "near All Star" that Grant and Jerry used to like to gush over went, but his complete inability to shoot is hurting us. He stuck his nose in thee for a couple of saavy steals, but that was about it, and sizewise he isn't challenging threes either.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bench

Casspi ( D ) -- you have to take advantage of your opportunities, and tonight Omri missed another one. Coming off a game where we could not shoot, in a back to back situation, there were first half minutes available for omri in an up and down game, and all he had to...but he didn't. He and Ben instead gave us almost nothing while the Blazers raced along at a near 70pt half pace.

Barnes ( C ) -- because Cuz's mid-4th rough patch, and Rudy's missed winners in OT etc. came later, its easy to forget that the real point we might have lost this game came right at the end of the third and early 4th where we started to muscle our way into control. Except Barnes missed tow open threes, Cuz missed two Fts, Collison blew something. So some hustling D, but damn we need the shots.

Cauley-Stein ( D+ ) -- annoyed me in his short stint by failing to challenge little guys at the rim, but did smoothy stroke a jumper. Not sure form conflicting reports if he's actually n the market or not.

Featured Grade
Collison ( B+ ) -- Collison didn't enter the game until the 4:54 mark of the 1st quarter and took his first shot about 2 minutes later, a long two. He followed that by driving to the basket and getting the ball stolen. So he was off to a poor start. However he hit a highly contested shot at the buzzer to close out the 1st quarter. After that he off and running, sometimes a bit too fast resulting in a turnover. If memory serves, he didn't take a three point shot in the game. He ended up going 9 for 16 from the floor and scoring 20 points. He also did a very good job defensively, especially in the 2nd half. Even when Lillard hit a shot, it was very well defended. With Cousins and Gay handling most of the scoring load, Collison's 20 pt contribution was a welcome addition. Sadly it was in a losing effort.
--Baja

McLemore ( D ) -- Ben & Omri got their chances after the DNP-CDs vs. the Lakers, but thee was nothing here. this was back to passive stand in the corner and stay out of the way Ben, and he made no case for further minutes.

Temple ( C+ ) -- tried to help with the defense, which continues to be a comfort, and if there was a problem with his lack of offense, it was a subtle one rather than a blatant one as he never took a shot. Barnes was more dynamic, but sloppier -- kind of the two defensive pieces who worked better than the tow offensive pieces (Omri and Ben)

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

I'm happy Cuz/Rudy put up amazing numbers that's all that matters wins come and go but per 36 stats are forever.

If the Blazers on talent are not better than us (which imo they easily are) than doesn't that mean Lillard is way better than Cousins since he can lead a team to the playoffs in the West despite being nothing more than a "chucker".

Blazers hit some terrible shots, Pull up threes from 30 feet, This is why Damian Lillard sometimes goes 3-18 from three in the playoffs. He just shoots everything.
To be honest I would have welcomed it if Cousins were less shy about taking the mid range jumper, even if it is contested. I thought that was his specialty. He's been driving to the rim too much, trying that crossover. But when he does drive, sometimes I see him pick up the ball to early. I feel really uncomfortable when slashers pick up the ball too early. They commit to making a layup or passing too early. Even though I didn't like Rondo's play on the Kings, I really liked how he never committed to making a layup or passing in the air because he always kept his dribble alive until the last moment.

This game is indicative of the reason why the Kings likely won't make the playoffs, unfortunately.

Even when they finally play hard (invariably against teams they are outclassed against), they simply lack the firepower and clutch play to prevail (combined with the blatant fact that the refs have it in for the Kings).

If they played this hard against any of the worse teams, they would win the majority of them.
Yet, they inexplicably don't play this way.

A hard-fought loss is still a loss.
This season, as rough as the schedule and the new system change and the new personnel gelling, is not about moral victories.
It's about wins.
It's about getting enough respect around the league to start changing the narrative about the Kings enough to keep Demarcus here (and enticing a replacement for Rudy).

Nothing changes if they only play well against teams that they end up not being able to keep up with (Blazers, Spurs) and racking up another loss.

Oh,and what the hell happened to Omri Casspi?
That was one of the most embarrassing missed layups I've ever seen (Top 5 easy).
Noone in front of him or contesting the shot, and he lets himself be blocked by the side of the backboard.

This guy was the 3rd-best player on the Kings last year - now he doesn't deserve one minute on the floor.
Why are Kings players so mentally unstable that they go from consistent tough-as-nails glue guy to incompetence in the span of months?

At least Willie wasn't painful to the team out there and made some plays...
What's with the HUGE up-and-down play by some players this year?

they simply lack the firepower and clutch play to prevail (combined with the blatant fact that the refs have it in for the Kings).
I disagree. The Kings had plenty of clutch play tonight. Enough to win anyway. Cuz made play after play down the stretch of the 4th. They were just done in by the baseline official refusing to whistle an offensive foul on Meyers Leonard and instead send him to the line when he created all the contact. I think it was payback for the bad call on Crabbe who had a clean block on Afflalo. Or the previous play on Lillard when he took Collison out (which actually was the correct call).

If the Kings had just got the benefit of the call on Leonard for pushing off with his off arm, they would have had the ball with a 1 pt lead and :32.1 remaining -- a much better position than down 1.

Last point. Why do the Kings rarely ever get a good shot at the end of games? Rudy has settled for 2 horrible shots in Miami and now Portland. Why couldn't they run a similar play to the possession before when he ended up with a wide open 15-footer from the FT line??

I hate that ISO fade away crap. Get something going to the hoop or a drive and kick to a shooter in rhythm.

If the Blazers on talent are not better than us (which imo they easily are) than doesn't that mean Lillard is way better than Cousins since he can lead a team to the playoffs in the West despite being nothing more than a "chucker".
But the Blazers do have more top end talent that the Kings -- as you admitted. Either of their starting guards would be our #2 player no doubt about it. I say #2 because Cuz would be the dominant low post threat as he is now and Lillard or McCollum would be the beneficiary of all the attention he receives. And of course they'd be the go to guys at the end of games as wing players almost always are.

And the Blazers simply have better shooters on the whole than do the Kings. That's why they've been a playoff team.

Blazers hit some terrible shots, Pull up threes from 30 feet, This is why Damian Lillard sometimes goes 3-18 from three in the playoffs. He just shoots everything.
That happens to everybody. Hell, Steph Curry was 0-10 from the 3pt land the very game before he broke the record with 13.

Lillard certainly has his off nights here and there, but he hits those tough shots pretty consistently. He just a phenomenal player. Does he ever miss a floater in the lane?? He sure didn't tonight. He's deadly with that shot.

Could you imagine a player like him teaming up with Cuz??

gunks

Hall of Famer
That happens to everybody. Hell, Steph Curry was 0-10 from the 3pt land the very game before he broke the record with 13.

Lillard certainly has his off nights here and there, but he hits those tough shots pretty consistently. He just a phenomenal player. Does he ever miss a floater in the lane?? He sure didn't tonight. He's deadly with that shot.

Petrie did. :p

K

KingMilz

I could he would be criticized for being a midget chucker and not allowing Cousins to get his stats while we continue to loss and than get traded and lead a team to the playoffs as a #1 option.

Last night was embarrassing; tonight was not. Would have preferred the win, obviously. But if we can't get the win, then a game like this is pretty satisfying.

There are no moral victories with this team. As its been stated many teams, this is the group we're going to fight with. We're not the Lakers or Twolves with a bunch of young talent where you can gain a lot from a hard-fought game like this. It's a loss to a team that's fighting for the same space we are for the playoffs.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There are no moral victories with this team. As its been stated many teams, this is the group we're going to fight with. We're not the Lakers or Twolves with a bunch of young talent where you can gain a lot from a hard-fought game like this. It's a loss to a team that's fighting for the same space we are for the playoffs.
There are only to this degree: this team is new and still needs to, if not learn how to win, then gain experience together. This sort of game is a good game for that. A confidence builder as long as Joerger can control the frustration. Now we get the 4/5 days to work on stuff, and the taste isn't entirely sour. You don't have to convince anybody (except the fanbase apparently) that you were close, and when you preach just a little improvement people will listen. Get killed by 30, its a harder sell. Where do you start? We've got several issues, but only the Milwaulkee game really where you couldn't draw a line out and show how we could have won these games if we just...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sweet lord. You did not just compare IT to Damien Lillard, did you?

IT is good, yes, an all-star, even. But Lillard has become an All-NBA guy. (A guy that Petrie really wanted to draft until the Maloofs spooked him into drafting big man depth instead)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There are only to this degree: this team is new and still needs to, if not learn how to win, then gain experience together. This sort of game is a good game for that. A confidence builder as long as Joerger can control the frustration. Now we get the 4/5 days to work on stuff, and the taste isn't entirely sour. You don't have to convince anybody (except the fanbase apparently) that you were close, and when you preach just a little improvement people will listen. Get killed by 30, its a harder sell. Where do you start? We've got several issues, but only the Milwaulkee game really where you couldn't draw a line out and show how we could have won these games if we just...
It's not like we all didn't think that the schedule from hell to start the season thing would result in a huge amount of wins either.

dude12

Hall of Famer
In the game threads and here, I've read these gems brought up again....IT, Malone, Karl. When does Tyreke, Hassan and, why not, Salmons and MT also get thrown into the mix?

Portland's back court just out played us.
I really wish guys like Afflalo and Lawson could shoot better.
The Kings played hard which is part of their new identity. The effort on defense is noticeable.
Cousins played well, but he actually had plenty of trouble with the physical style of the Trailblazers. Some knucklehead named Meyers Leonard deserves some credit for Portland's win. He made Cousins turn the ball over plenty of times and played in your face defense. I respect the guy.
Cousins still spends way to much time putting his hands in the air and looking at the refs when he should be getting back on defense.
It seems curious that players like Omri, Ben, and Willy were missing in action when the Kings could have really used their help.

I'm happy Cuz/Rudy put up amazing numbers that's all that matters wins come and go but per 36 stats are forever.

Well maybe you could make a cafe, thats easier for a point guard to lead a team than for a big, who is easier to cover down low and who relies on entry passes quite a lot. Todays 3point chucking game also leads to less dominant play on the boards, taking away another classic big man strength.
Over the last few years there were mostly outside inside teams with dominant guards or wings in the playoffs. Is this because a guy like Lillard is the better player than a guy like Cousins? I don't think so although It's close between those two as people here like to admit.

Sure, in the same way Jimmy Butler or Paul George is LeBron James. :)

BTW, if IT is your 6th man, you have a pretty darn good team like the Kings had when Bobby Jackson was their 6th man, right? Although Bobby was a far superior defensive player.

Sweet lord. You did not just compare IT to Damien Lillard, did you?

IT is good, yes, an all-star, even. But Lillard has become an All-NBA guy. (A guy that Petrie really wanted to draft until the Maloofs spooked him into drafting big man depth instead)
I give him an A for effort though.