[Grades] Grades v. Blazers 11/08/2013

So who was our [i]second[/i] most impressive player on the night?

• Patterson

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Greivis

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Isaiah

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Outlaw

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Jimmer

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Ah, life as a Sacramento Kings fan, where I'm happy we at least had a close loss and competitive game. After all I put together this Grading Consortium with the promise of wins and glory...and girls of course -- where are the dang Consortium groupies? Anyway, I didn't want the troops to get depressed and discouraged so early in the season.

The restoration of the Cousins-centric offense led to a restoration of competitive play and another superstaresque performance by Cousins. Unfortunately he's got a damn good lawsuit for lack of support pending, as once again he was out there all alone trying to carry us, and huffing and puffing at times to do so. Meanwhile I don't think we had a single other double figure scorer through 3/4, and even the mighty mite was off his game. I think the first guy to join Cousins as a double figure scorer was Travis Outlaw believe it or not. At that point Cuz already had 29. Hence the difficult poll question above, and some trepidation about how things go tomorrow. Asking Cousins to come up with another night like that back to back is a bit much. Somebody else is going to have to show or we're going to end up 1-5 and spiraling before we even got started. Maybe that Smart fella was cleverer than we thought in getting these guys to score.

Your graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Capt.Factorial
Spudfan
sdballer

Boxscore

Stats: 24min 2pts (1-6, 0-1, 0-0) 2reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Salmons ( B- ) -- I saw a lot of whining about John Salmons in the game thread, but watching Salmons closely I think a lot of it was undeserved. What Salmons did poorly tonight was shoot the ball - one of six is not a good showing. Salmons' passing, however, was quite a bit better. He wasn't ball-stopping, he wasn't over dribbling, and despite not being on the ball a ton he ended up with three assists and four good passes that resulted in missed shots (including one to Cousins at the rim). He had one drive-and-kick where he hit an open Thornton on the perimeter which led to a hockey assist when Marcus drove and dumped to an open Cuz. And on defense, Salmons did a great job. Tasked with guarding Batum, he allowed a grand total of 3 points on 5 shots. He had two near-steals when knocking the ball away from Blazers players, and did a good job on stopping the ball on a 2-on-1 break, which allowed Thornton to recover for a steal. When you know you aren't going to get a star-level performance out of your SF, solid defense and good passing are going to earn you a decent grade. --Capt.

Stats: 31min 10pts (4-8, 2-4, 0-0) 4reb 1ast 2stl 0blk 1TO
Patterson ( C+ ) -- for a while in this one we were getting about all you can reasonably expect when you are reduced to starting Patrick Patterson as your starting PF. He was finally hitting some of those threes, and just as importantly was doing a good job of fighting the much bigger Aldridge on defense. No he wasn't on the boards, but then again anybody expecting him to be is kidding themselves. Was still fighting Aldridge in the 3rd, and it was ironic that we had major defensive problems against Portland at that point, but that PPat guarding their best player was the one guy doing his job. I don't know where his grade would have been at that point, he was hardly starring out there. but he was contributing. Unfortunately the offensive contributions, modest at any point, dried up, and down the stretch the other shoe dropped as the Blazers finally said enough of this nonsense, starting pounding the ball to Aldridge the same way we were to Cousins, and PPat lost control of him as Aldridge was able to repeatedly get his favorite turnaround jumper again and again and powered them home. --Brick

Stats: 37min 35pts (13-25, 0-2, 9-10) 9reb 1ast 4stl 1blk 3TO
Cousins ( A- ) -- And yes, suddenly we were back to the Cousins centered offense, and suddenly we were competitive again. It almost didn't get going, as he came right out and on the first defensive play and stupidly swiped at the ball on Robin Lopez in the post and got a quick foul. Of course maybe he knew something we didn't, as Lopez proceeded to drop 6 quick points on us. An early theme of Boogie's defense is he has taken big strides as a team defender and a man defender against guys who set up, but bigger/more athletic centers who just run to the rim can still get behind him for finishes. Another theme, career long, is that when faced by a bigger shotblocker, Boogie likes to retreat outside and pepper them with jumpers. And in the first half oh boy did he. The jumper was on, he threw in some more of those Tim Duncan bank shots which you can see becoming a trademark one day, and he poured it on. Came back in in the mid 2nd with the reserves struggling and began making all court contributions on both ends to pick us back up, and opened the third aggressive and attacking inside as he discovered that he could slip by Lopez and finish at the rim. Was clearly huffing and puffing by the late 3rd after trying to singlehandedly carry us, but as we started falling behind we couldn't afford to pull him, and he impressively found another wind again -- 2nd or 3rd time he's already shown that in the young season, where it looks like he's done, and then finds another gear. Started dominating down the stretch of the third, and by the end of the quarter had 29 already. Made some defensive mistakes in the second half, but also some excellent defensive plays, including a big block on Lillard inside. What he never really did do was dominate the glass. In fact he seemed to be having an oddly un-Boogielike night with those hands. he wasn't catching as cleanly as he normally does, and non-rebounders like Lopez seemed to be able to rip things out of his hands on the glass. Malone, who claims to value rebounding, has intentionally surrounded Boogie with absolutely awful worst in the league type rebounders in that starting lineup, so we need the big guy to clean up big time to make up for it. he did not, and we got pounded on the boards and hence my excuse to throw a "minus" on a 35pt night. But let's be clear here -- I A- these things because I believe in him MORE strongly than you do, not the other way around. This could be a HOF player in the making. He'll have many huge nights in his future. hopefully some with a little more complete statlines. As an aside, does not mean I am requiring him to go 30+ 10+ for a straight A. Just requiring us not to get whipped by 16 on the glass in a loss on the same night he is having troubles on the boards. --Brick

Stats: 40min 5pts (2-11, 1-6, 0-0) 6reb 1ast 2stl 0blk 1TO
Thornton ( F ) -- I'm curious how the guy that was arguably the worst King on the night ended up playing the most minutes. Ben had his foul troubles but we could have tried shifting John down to a better positional fit, gone with the 2 pgs or even tried a little Jimmer. Any one of those less-than-desirable solutions would have had a hard time being worse than what MT gave us. His defense, aside from the occasional steal, has always been a negative and was a big reason there was some concern around here in letting our only defensive guards go (oh well). But there was a time when MT was able to score at a fairly elite level, through a combination of tough drives and outside shooting. I'd blame the new coach for his issues right now but frankly, the offense doesn't look that different than last year, so it's not that. Whatever it is, MT has to pull his head out and start contributing something on offense because scoring is the only thing he really brings to the table. The only assist MT is going to give this team is by raising his value enough to bring something useful back to the team in a trade. He did grab 6 boards tonight, on a night we were outrebounded by 16. Personal note: Not sure how you've done this for so long Brick as grading these bums is painful. --sdballer

Stats: 32min 12pts (5-10, 1-4, 1-2) 2reb 6ast 2stl 0blk 1TO
Vasquez ( B- ) -- Tonights game was a good example of the player many of us thought we were getting before the season started. Greivis started out the first quarter hitting a few shots and directing the offense beautifully. He made it an emphasis all night long to get the ball to Cousins. In the second half there was a stretch where GV hit Cousins for three consecutive plays before he passed it to Marcus for an open shot. After that he went to Cousins for a couple more plays. Many beautiful pick and rolls lead to layups by Cousins or drawn fouls. It really was a thing of beauty and I hope we see it more often. We made our best run during this Cousins focused period of time, before ignoring Cousins which resulted in the Blazers lead ballooned to something like 15. Along with the great passing we expected to get from GV, we also got a little taste of the “hero ball” we had heard about. He took a few more three point shots and runners in the lane than he should have while trying to bring us back. I hated the shots when he took them, but it is hard to blame him when so many of his beautiful passes that lead to WIDE open looks were bricked. So i’ll forgive the shots tonight and give him a solid B as he seemed to do more good than harm… but if our guys start knocking down shots he will have to cut down on those field goal attempts.

Disclaimer: Our team defense was a mess and everyone looked lost. It’s hard for me to put blame on either guard as they both seem to be doing about the same thing so it might be the defense scheme that is leading them to cheat off their guys which is giving everyone open looks. Without knowing I don’t think it’s fair to criticize their defense too much tonight.

.--Spud

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 29min 13pts (5-15, 0-3, 3-3) 2reb 7ast 1stl 0blk 4TO
Thomas ( B ) -- Well, well, well. What do we have here? Is our little Isaiah Thomas realizing how much better he can make his teammates when he passes the ball? It certainly looked like it tonight. Let’s face it, his scoring tonight was bad for the great majority of the game. I don’t think anyone is going to care about that though as it inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. What is important is how much it seemed like he was looking to move the ball tonight. He wasn’t taken his usual amount of wide open 3s and instead finding guys who had better looks. He was driving to the lane and (trying) to kick it out to the open man. Improvement and greater consideration into what he was doing is what I took away from his play tonight. If he keeps making strides like this GV better watch out!

Disclaimer: Our team defense was a mess and everyone looked lost. It’s hard for me to put blame on either guard as they both seem to be doing about the same thing so it might be the defense scheme that is leading them to cheat off their guys which is giving everyone open looks. Without knowing I don’t think it’s fair to criticize their defense too much tonight. --Spud

Stats: 13min 4pts (2-2, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Thompson ( D- ) -- now I might be out of sorts too if some new coach had come in from outside and given my starting job to an undersized tweener who can't rebound and is putting up the worst starting stats of any PF in the game. It would legitimately pee me off. But that doesn't excuse what seems to be a regression in Jason's demeanor this year at the same time his coach has been calling for a teamwide improvement. He came into this game, didn't look ready to go, faced off against his old backup TRob, who of course is still trying to prove something to us, and Jason got his ass handed to him. And then rather than fighting back, he complained. And complained some more, and got absolutely nothing down on the court in the first half. Nothing in the second stint either until finally in the last minute of the third as Cousins went out, JT immediately responded with a nice spin move in the post. Led to some moderately improved play as a smallball center which got him out of F territory here. But still not the way to make what should be an easy argument that you're better than the borderline scrub ahead of you. --Brick

Stats: 7min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
McLemore ( D- ) -- Almost went with the incomplete as it's hard to grade someone on 7 minutes of play time but doing nothing but commit 4 fouls in 7 minutes deserves the almost F. The fact that he never got a touch or shot is disappointing for other reasons. This game was an example of why Ben may not be starting yet along with the downside of him not being ready as MT continues to defecate on the court. Bottom line, I think we can expect more nights like these which hopefully gives Thornton a chance to find some trade value and for Ben's game to continue to mature. --sdballer

Stats: 7min 0pts (0-2, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Hayes ( C- ) -- in limited minutes tonight, as we decided that even going small (well small positionwise as heightwise we are always small with Chuck) was a better option than our reserve bigs were providing in the first half. Chuck came in and in his earl minutes managed to somehow make a guy form the land of soccer and knickers look like an All Star reserve, getting his butt handed to him by Joel Freeland on both ends. He got his highlight to start the second, with a nifty behind the back pass to Outlaw for a dunk, but that was kind of it. When we brought back Cousins to save the floundering reserves Hayes switched onto TRob as a PF and explained things to him with some muscle, which was a welcome sight after Jason's ineffective flouncing around and complaining. But TRob just raced out and killed him in the open court with his athleticism, and there just wasn't anyplace for our designated push and shove tree stump from that point on out. One thing: I have some vague memory that despite his extreme height issue, he might be able to guard Aldridge. Could be wrong there. But as it was a big Aldridge push in the late 4th that helped finish us, might have been an idea to try to cool him.--Brick

Stats: 20min 10pts (4-7, 2-2, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Outlaw ( B- ) -- Outlaw came into the game in the late first and immediately saw Batum beat him baseline forcing a foul at the rim. He subsequently missed an ill-advised post jumper and collapsed off of Dorell Wright allowing a made three. But after the quarter break, Outlaw came out and was a significantly better player. He started out the second by cutting on the baseline and receiving a great behind-the-back pass from the Chuckwagon for a 180 dunk. Through the gme he had two occasions (one Williams, one Lillard) where he cam in for help on the drive and bothered the shot into a miss, and had another good awareness play where he snuck in and boxed out Robinson who had been left uncovered for a potential offensive board. Outlaw played significant time at the PF in this game, including four minutes in the second and one possession in the fourth when he was tasked with Aldridge - during that time Aldridge attempted zero shots and was faced with some aggressive fronting defense when trying to establish position in the post. Outlaw was even tasked with covering center Freeland for another four minutes or so in the fourth and allowed one made jumper but also forced a miss in the post. Overall he allowed six points on eight shots while denying Blazers MVP Aldridge any shots for about five minutes, so what I think I'm saying is that I'm happy with his defense. Offensively he didn't do a lot, but he did hit both of his threes. Overall, it wasn't an outstanding night, but I can't really complain. --Capt.

Last edited:

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
I don't know why, but I just can't believe our main spot-up shooters can continue to shoot this poorly. 11-32 from the guys getting open looks from GV, IT, and Cousins is not acceptable. Cousins covered for IT being off tonight, but it won't matter what either of those guys do if the shooters can't hit freaking shots.

I gave Jimmer a sympathy vote, because if you can't crack this rotation than you need anything you can get.

A KingsFans.Com poll vote after a game against Portland on November 8th has to count for something.

well, at least this upcoming draft is supposed to be something special
Yes, they say if we are going to suk one more year that this is the year to do it

Salmons, Thornton and Patterson, three players that I gave the benefit of the doubt to preseason, and instead they represent the worst sg/sf/pf trio in the NBA. Malone might have to have a fast trigger here to not let the season get out of hand and thus put himself at risk

All and all I wouldn't say I was disappointed with the effort. I thought we would have faded closer to the top of the 4th and instead were there midway.

yes i respect Malone for not tinkering with the rotation like Keith Smart. but this starting lineup is atrocious, time to make changes, and time to get John Salmons off the floor for good

yes i respect Malone for not tinkering with the rotation like Keith Smart. but this starting lineup is atrocious, time to make changes, and time to get John Salmons off the floor for good
The problem with lineup changes is that there aren't great alternatives. We've discussed the IT for GV thing and the potential problems it brings. Ben has showed he may not be consistent enough (especially on D) and I'm sure the FO is hoping MT gets some trade value back. JT for Ppat robs us of our only big off the bench. Outlaw for Fish is the easiest one but that's not going to make that much of a difference.

Again, poorly constructed team that doesn't fit well. Not that much Malone can do.

Bricklayer

The problem with lineup changes is that there aren't great alternatives. We've discussed the IT for GV thing and the potential problems it brings. Ben has showed he may not be consistent enough (especially on D) and I'm sure the FO is hoping MT gets some trade value back. JT for Ppat robs us of our only big off the bench. Outlaw for Fish is the easiest one but that's not going to make that much of a difference.

Again, poorly constructed team that doesn't fit well. Not that much Malone can do.
I'm all for Cuz-Jt-Outlaw-Ben?-Grevis at this point. If you can't beat them with skill, then throw out your best/biggest team of athletes and just try to dominate them physically.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Think it may have been Kerr on TNT last night, who said, "You play eleven because you don't have eight." Or something like that.

Coach Malone forgot to sign off his locker room presser tonight with usual obligatory, "we're not most talented team around." Tonight Kings had 11 steals to Portland's 4. But Portland killed Kings on the boards 47 to 31. Kings had just 11 turnovers to Portland's 17. But Portland had 5 block shots to Kings 1. Bottom line is, Kings tried to make it a game, and it was a game for most of the night. But in the end Portland has more talent overall, more stars (two at least) and more depth. And as good as Pat Patterson was for three quarters guarding Aldridge, when it counted the most in 4th Q the Blazers 6'11 All-Star PF was too much - way too much.

K

KingMilz

This start to the season shows how awful our off-season was we could have offered the likes of Jeff Teague/Brandon Jennings similar type deals to the Landry one which could have helped us a ton if we were not going to resign Evans a lot more than Vasquez anyway. The Landry signing had no thinking behind it considering we have a ton of PF's. LMAM is a good back up but again did nothing to even maybe get a young SF with a little bit of ability who can develop. It's sad we are not even trying to tank and we are doing it better than anyone.

This year we can't defend or score last year we could at least score

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This start to the season shows how awful our off-season was we could have offered the likes of Jeff Teague/Brandon Jennings similar type deals to the Landry one which could have helped us a ton if we were not going to resign Evans a lot more than Vasquez anyway. The Landry signing had no thinking behind it considering we have a ton of PF's. LMAM is a good back up but again did nothing to even maybe get a young SF with a little bit of ability who can develop. It's sad we are not even trying to tank and we are doing it better than anyone.

This year we can't defend or score last year we could at least score
Why do people continually assume that an offer implies acceptance? IT DOESN'T! I'm sure there were agents who wouldn't even take a call from the Kings, let alone seriously recommend to their client that they actually consider Sacramento as a good career move.

I don't know why, but I just can't believe our main spot-up shooters can continue to shoot this poorly. 11-32 from the guys getting open looks from GV, IT, and Cousins is not acceptable. Cousins covered for IT being off tonight, but it won't matter what either of those guys do if the shooters can't hit freaking shots.
We just don't have good shooters. Look at our roster

GV - Low 40% career shooter
Thornton - Low 40% last few years
Cousins - Terrible outside shooter, regardless of what people think.
Salmons - Horrible FG % last 4 years.
Outlaw - Can shoot when he doesn't move his feet. As soon as he moves his feet he can't shoot.
Thompson - Can't shoot.
Hayes - Can't shoot.
Mbah A Moute - Can't shoot.

Patterson - Last year might have been a fluke for him but he should be a good 15ft shooter at least.
McLemore - Can obviously shoot but will probably have a lower FG % this year due to being a rookie and not taking good shots.
Fredette - Our best shooter but does everything else so bad he can't get on the court.
IT - Can shoot.

Basically we only have one guy who can shoot without hangups on this whole team. Look at Portland. Lillard, Matthews, Batum, Williams and Wright are all equally as good or better shooters than IT who is our best shooter.

Pick any Kings team in our hey day and we have 5, 6 and 7 guys that can shoot as good as IT. This is just a horribly constructed roster full of guys who might be semi successful on other teams, but will never be successful on this team due to how easy they are to guard. Just force them to shoot and you're going to have success.

We just don't have good shooters. Look at our roster

GV - Low 40% career shooter
Thornton - Low 40% last few years
Cousins - Terrible outside shooter, regardless of what people think.
Salmons - Horrible FG % last 4 years.
Outlaw - Can shoot when he doesn't move his feet. As soon as he moves his feet he can't shoot.
Thompson - Can't shoot.
Hayes - Can't shoot.
Mbah A Moute - Can't shoot.

Patterson - Last year might have been a fluke for him but he should be a good 15ft shooter at least.
McLemore - Can obviously shoot but will probably have a lower FG % this year due to being a rookie and not taking good shots.
Fredette - Our best shooter but does everything else so bad he can't get on the court.
IT - Can shoot.

Basically we only have one guy who can shoot without hangups on this whole team. Look at Portland. Lillard, Matthews, Batum, Williams and Wright are all equally as good or better shooters than IT who is our best shooter.

Pick any Kings team in our hey day and we have 5, 6 and 7 guys that can shoot as good as IT. This is just a horribly constructed roster full of guys who might be semi successful on other teams, but will never be successful on this team due to how easy they are to guard. Just force them to shoot and you're going to have success.

Totally agree. That's why I think when Coach Malone looked at Kings roster he was handed quickly decided it had to become a defense first team or nothing. Unfortunately, so far it's sort of nothing.

K

KingMilz

If you think Demarcus doesn't have a midrange jumper, you obviously didn't watch tonight's game.
For a guy who mainly shoots wide open cause teams want him to take that his %'s most the time are not good, the one shot he has done from midrange is that banker I don't think he's missed one all year or preseason he should use it more that's the only shot I want him taking outside the paint.

If you think Demarcus doesn't have a midrange jumper, you obviously didn't watch tonight's game.
Demarcus can make that shot but he makes it at an extremely low percentage. I forgot what site it was but it basically showed the shooting percentage of all the big men in the league last year that took at least a couple shots a game from 18ft out and Demarcus was the worst in the league. It's just an extremely low percentage shot for us. I'd rather see him bang inside and try and draw a foul than chuck up that garbage. He has some nights where they go in but he also has a bunch of nights where he goes 1 for 4 out there and you only remember the one he swished in while forgetting about the other 3 wasted possessions.

For a guy who mainly shoots wide open cause teams want him to take that his %'s most the time are not good, the one shot he has done from midrange is that banker I don't think he's missed one all year or preseason he should use it more that's the only shot I want him taking outside the paint.
That's what I love about Cousins. His outside shot is is pretty good, yet teams still give him wide open looks because of how REALLY good he is when he is close to the basket. Wish he didn't shoot the jumper so much but it's harder to blame him when he gets wide open looks.