give up an asset to get Ryan Anderson?

There is a re-signing advantage with Ryan Anderson if we acquire him via trade first, that extra contract year would make us a slam dunk to get him.

If we have any buyers remorse on the KK contract, would it make any sense to swap him for Anderson? The press would make fun of Vlade but so what. KK is a replaceable skill set.

Would you guys be upset with the Kings if they did something like this? I don't want to put Ben in that deal because I think Ben can help us fetch more value elsewhere, and I don't want to throw in the towel on Bels.

It's not a terrible idea, but if you think you have a good shot in FA....

Also consider he's only played in over 70 games once in his career, so do you really want to sign him for that extra year anyway?

I don't know that we WANT him for the extra year but it's an added inducement for him. Even though he is a California boy, there is no getting around the KANGZ tax.

Anderson would fit nicely on offense, but he will cost us on D. And I'm not a fan of paying big money to just another average defender, who has a rough time keeping up with athletic small ball forwards and wings.
In an ideal world every player the Kings aquire during next offseason will be a high energy guy with good to great defense and the ability to shoot 3's.
And when Acy puts in more work in his 3 pt shot, I'm actually fine with our big man rotation of Cuz, WCS, KK and Acy.
But please for the love of god sign some capable perimeter defenders.

My view is this:

If you're trading for a player at this deadline, then you prefer a player on a current CBA contract. The value of an old CBA contract next year will be great. You want to avoid trading for a non-star soon to be FA who will ask for a lot of money next year.

Everyone will have cap space. You can sign those players in the off-season, so what you want are guys with at least a year or two left. You only trade for expiring if you want more FA money for multiple FA targets.

As an example, in regards to current discussions, if the Kings trade for Shumpert in some deal that lands them Mozgov as well, then you get Iman on current CBA deal (good) and Mozgov on ending CBA deal. You don't intend to resign Mozgov, because you're going after Ryno in the off-season. So Mozgov is a useful ending contract, as what he'll demand in pay increase won't matter to you. You're just adding his current 5 mil to your summer FA money pool. You've shed total salary before overpaying Anderson. If you straight up trade for Anderson now, then you will be paying the same total current team salaries plus the additional costs of Anderson and/or Rondo.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If you're trading for a player at this deadline, then you prefer a player on a current CBA contract. The value of an old CBA contract next year will be great. You want to avoid trading for a non-star soon to be FA who will ask for a lot of money next year.
I get what you're saying here - but I want to nitpick just a bit with the terminology you're using.

The CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) hasn't changed. It was negotiated in 2011 and is still in effect (though either the players or the league may opt out after the 2016-2017 season and it is widely expected that the players will). I believe that starting next year there will be very few if any contracts in existence that were negotiated under the old CBA - the only way and "old CBA" contract could still be going would be if somebody signed a 7-year deal in 2010, and I don't think the previous CBA allowed 7-year deals.

What you're really talking about is the big cap jump that is happening next year which is largely the result of big dollars from a new national TV deal kicking in. Deals that were signed under the current cap (which has been between $65-70M for several years) will be more valuable than deals signed under the new cap (which, last I checked, was projected to be a hint under $90M). Basically, the cap is going to be multiplied by about 1.3, so you expect salaries to go up by about 30% across the board, and players that are locked into market-value deals signed under the old cap will be coming at about a 30% discount compared to what it would cost to sign them today.

But it's the cap, not the CBA, that has changed.

My view is this:

Everyone will have cap space. You can sign those players in the off-season, so what you want are guys with at least a year or two left. You only trade for expiring if you want more FA money for multiple FA targets.

As an example, in regards to current discussions, if the Kings trade for Shumpert in some deal that lands them Mozgov as well, then you get Iman on current CBA deal (good) and Mozgov on ending CBA deal. You don't intend to resign Mozgov, because you're going after Ryno in the off-season. So Mozgov is a useful ending contract, as what he'll demand in pay increase won't matter to you. You're just adding his current 5 mil to your summer FA money pool. You've shed total salary before overpaying Anderson. If you straight up trade for Anderson now, then you will be paying the same total current team salaries plus the additional costs of Anderson and/or Rondo.
i generally agree with this view, with an exception for impact players on expiring deals who might be worth taking on the risk of their departures via free agency. and in my opinion, ryan anderson is just not one of those guys. his injury history looms too large, as does his reputation as a poor defender. i definitely wouldn't trade any assets to acquire him now. take a stab at him in free agency, and if you can't get it done, you move on to the next possible acquisition...

Anderson would fit nicely on offense, but he will cost us on D.
And we're worse off how? We're already one of the worst defenses in the league anyway.

Besides, it's not like Anderson could be worse than Rudy Gay when he's played out of position as a stretch 4. His perimeter defense has been worse than laughable. How many times has that guy been faked into the air resulting in an open 3 or free throws at the end of games? I'd argue that Ryan has a much higher BBIQ on the defensive end, even if he's not a good individual defender.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Anderson would fit nicely on offense, but he will cost us on D. And I'm not a fan of paying big money to just another average defender, who has a rough time keeping up with athletic small ball forwards and wings.
In an ideal world every player the Kings aquire during next offseason will be a high energy guy with good to great defense and the ability to shoot 3's.
And when Acy puts in more work in his 3 pt shot, I'm actually fine with our big man rotation of Cuz, WCS, KK and Acy.
But please for the love of god sign some capable perimeter defenders.
At SF I would agree with you, but Anderson's position is PF and he's very underrated in my opinion. Of course I'm very biased. I've loved him since his days at Cal where he was the best player on that team. He was the best rebounder on that team, and best post player on that team. It's almost as if his ability to shoot the three, has ended up hurting his reputation as an all around PF. Where we agree is that he's not going to come in and be a lock down defender, but Ryan isn't a terrible defender either, for those that never see a middle to anything. Would he help us? Don't know, but I'd like to see if he could. Of course depending on what we would have to give up to get him.

And we're worse off how? We're already one of the worst defenses in the league anyway.

Besides, it's not like Anderson could be worse than Rudy Gay when he's played out of position as a stretch 4. His perimeter defense has been worse than laughable. How many times has that guy been faked into the air resulting in an open 3 or free throws at the end of games? I'd argue that Ryan has a much higher BBIQ on the defensive end, even if he's not a good individual defender.
Maybe, but we need to improve our defense. I'm all for aquiring good defensive players and Gay is the player I would try to move in the offseason in order to reach this goal. Anderson just doesn't fit our need on defense. Doesn't matter, if he is slightly better than Gay (which is actually debatable).

At SF I would agree with you, but Anderson's position is PF and he's very underrated in my opinion. Of course I'm very biased. I've loved him since his days at Cal where he was the best player on that team. He was the best rebounder on that team, and best post player on that team. It's almost as if his ability to shoot the three, has ended up hurting his reputation as an all around PF. Where we agree is that he's not going to come in and be a lock down defender, but Ryan isn't a terrible defender either, for those that never see a middle to anything. Would he help us? Don't know, but I'd like to see if he could. Of course depending on what we would have to give up to get him.
The league is trending to smaller, quicker players at PF. The pick&roll is the bread and butter for almost every contending team. Doesn't matter, if we think this trend is a good thing. We need to be able to defend against small, quick teams.
I'm not arguing that Anderson is a good player. He certainly is. Offensively he is the total package at PF. A bit too trigger happy for my liking but a major threat for any opponent.
But I personally expect more and more lineups, where guys like Kawhi Leonard, Stanley Johnson, Lebron, Portis, Green, Carroll, Morris, Harris, Harkless, Lyles, Millsap, Covington are the matchups at PF.
Anderson, like Frye or Ilyasova, seems a bit outdated, when it comes to playstyle and especially athleticism.
I would prefer teaching WCS how to shoot a basketball and play him next to Cousins and would invest our remaining cap space in the SF, SG and PG positions.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The league is trending to smaller, quicker players at PF. The pick&roll is the bread and butter for almost every contending team. Doesn't matter, if we think this trend is a good thing. We need to be able to defend against small, quick teams.
I'm not arguing that Anderson is a good player. He certainly is. Offensively he is the total package at PF. A bit too trigger happy for my liking but a major threat for any opponent.
But I personally expect more and more lineups, where guys like Kawhi Leonard, Stanley Johnson, Lebron, Portis, Green, Carroll, Morris, Harris, Harkless, Lyles, Millsap, Covington are the matchups at PF.
Anderson, like Frye or Ilyasova, seems a bit outdated, when it comes to playstyle and especially athleticism.
I would prefer teaching WCS how to shoot a basketball and play him next to Cousins and would invest our remaining cap space in the SF, SG and PG positions.
I agree and disagree on different points, but I don't want to get into nit picking. I happen to think that Anderson is a little better athlete than you do, but I get where your coming from, and it's legit point of view. I certainly agree on WCS, who I have lusted after for three years. I think he's going to be a better offensive player than some think. Why don't we play Acy more? He can hit the three, he just doesn't take many. I remember a game at Baylor when Acy scored something like 44 points. Granted, he just got hotter than a pistol, but most of that scoring came off of three point shots. Who knows, if given the chance, he might become Draymond Green light.

I agree and disagree on different points, but I don't want to get into nit picking. I happen to think that Anderson is a little better athlete than you do, but I get where your coming from, and it's legit point of view. I certainly agree on WCS, who I have lusted after for three years. I think he's going to be a better offensive player than some think. Why don't we play Acy more? He can hit the three, he just doesn't take many. I remember a game at Baylor when Acy scored something like 44 points. Granted, he just got hotter than a pistol, but most of that scoring came off of three point shots. Who knows, if given the chance, he might become Draymond Green light.
Regarding Acy: Boogie would agree!

Also, Boogie might know something-- I checked the other day and Boogie/Acy is the best two-player combo involving Boogie, at +8.7 points/100 possessions.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/couside01/lineups/2016/

No, Ryan Anderson is not worth any real assets when we don't have much to spare to begin with. He is going to get overpaid in a time where every team is looking for bigs that can shoot. But if you compare overall quality as a player, Gay dwarfs Anderson.