Georgios Papagiannis

Discussion in 'Kings Rap' started by VF21, Mar 18, 2017.

1. kingsboi

kingsboi Well-Known Member

I'll be happy if he turns out to be a Marcin Gortat type of player
    lwc, kingjatt, Čarolija and 2 others like this.
  2. DesertFox

DesertFox Active Member

Which is why Koufos has to go. Between Tolliver, Temple, and a veteran PG, the team has enough "veteran leadership." Trading Koufos is good for him, and good for the Kings.
    Ron and Chupacabra like this.
  3. gunks

gunks Well-Known Member

I like KK....

But I agree that he should be traded. He probably has a much trade value as anyone on the roster, and really we don't need him. He's a "playoff team" player. If he can help us make a move on draft day, I think Vlade pulls the trigger.

Unleash Papa G. Thanks to that awful Cuz trade our goal next season is a high lotto pick. We don't need KK around for that.
    KestrelKing likes this.
  4. funkykingston

funkykingston Well-Known Member

If there's a deal out there for Koufos that improves the team long term then of course you make it.

If you could use him to move up in the draft (possibly taking back a bad contract) then sure.

If he could bring back a solid PG then that might be a a good move.

If he can be used as an expiring contract at the deadline then you see who he might bring back.

But there's no reason to trade him just to trade him. He's an ideal mentor for Papagiannis, especially as they both speak Greek.

He's a hardworking pro who makes his living by being rock solid as an interior defender. And unless the Kings draft a center they'll a third one on the roster anyway.
    Ron, spok22s, Sac.1989 and 8 others like this.
  5. Big Cuz 15

Big Cuz 15 Well-Known Member

there is that mentorship between vlade/peja when peja first arrived. vlade might see the same for papa
    NowImLost, King Baller and VF21 like this.
  6. jcassio

jcassio Active Member

Totally agree. KK is a rock-solid pro. And if we can afford to keep him (in contrast with what we can get for him), but keep him in a back-up role, he will contonue to be good for Papa and good for the Kings.
    King Baller and Suicide King like this.
  7. Kingsfan23

Kingsfan23 Well-Known Member

Georgios can be unstoppable on the block as he ages. 7'2, once he starts putting on muscle.. such a soft touch. Using both hands and looking over both arms at times. At 19, as a rookie I felt confident about him being able to seal in the lane. I can't think of anyone this generation that has that type of old school post game.
  8. The_Jamal

The_Jamal Well-Known Member

I actually really like this comparison. Kanter is one of the few players left with a dominant post-game and I think Papa has the touch and size to tap into that kind of potential. I like that as a role for him moving forward too; 15-25 MPG and letting him be effective in 5-7 minute spurts.
    King Baller likes this.
  9. ockingsfan

ockingsfan Well-Known Member

Here is the thing about Joeger, he loves KK and what he brings to the team in his defense and rebounding.

If KK is on the team on opening day, expect him to start opposite WCS.

Joeger stuck to KK starting next to DMC, even though it was not working. Joeger is really stubborn about KK starting.

Skal would be coming off the bench, until he proves to be a really, really, really consistent player.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    The Effort Police likes this.
  10. Nightfall

Nightfall New Member

If you miss PapaG already:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTGgTfGBbf4/

[​IMG]

He is in Athens, he was invited to watch the Euroleague QF game of his previous team (Panathinaikos) , when the crowd noticed him they demanded that he would stand up for a proper cheering.

The game atmosphere was as always brilliant , but unf0rtunately we did one of our worst second halves ever and lost the first game and home advantage (best of 5)

11. jcassio

jcassio Active Member

I sort-of agree with you and sort-of don't. While it looked at times that Joerger was insistent about starting KK along with DMC, which didn't instill confidence in anyone, it's at least as likely that he wanted KK in the starting lineup to prevent DMC from getting into early foul trouble.
    Also, did you notice that KK wins almost all of his jump-balls? DMC, in contrast, has only won two jump balls in his career (both against IT). :D
    That said, I hope KK remains a King, and that he never makes it back into the starting lineup (barring injury). Skal is ready now. Not a year from now.
  12. Kingster

Kingster Well-Known Member

Actually, Cousins'
    I'd be surprised if Koufos is traded because of his mentoring relationship with Papa and the other bigs on the team. Guys like Koufos and Temple are extremely important in guiding the youngins in their development on this team, imo.
  13. Nightfall

Nightfall New Member

George will be blogging for a greek basketball site:

http://basketa.gr/η-μεγαλύτερη-τιμή-είναι-να-παίζεις-για/

(it will literally sound greek to you :D )

And since the day at work is slow , I translated it for you, as I doubt you will get the info in english anywhere (the translation was done quickly so excuse any mistakes please :D )

lwc, 206Fan, fansinceday1 and 16 others like this.
  14. ESP47

ESP47 Well-Known Member

15. bajaden

bajaden Well-Known Member

Agreed! The Kings are trying to build a culture and an identity. That takes time, and players like Koufos help in that area. I'm not saying I wouldn't trade him if the right deal came along, but I certainly wouldn't trade him simply because he's taking minutes away from Papa. Now if the Kings end up drafting Zach Collins, then maybe we have to revisit this subject, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Koufos is the kind of solid pro that you want your young players to be around.
  16. Nightfall

Nightfall New Member

17. Nightfall

Nightfall New Member

He posted one of them on his instagram as well and look who commented :) :

[​IMG]
    Suicide King, Jimbob, Kingz19 and 8 others like this.
  18. kingsfan1984

kingsfan1984 Active Member

This is an odd picture to post. Is he doing an excercise? Looks like he is pretending to be a cat
    Khanh likes this.
  19. Tetsujin

Tetsujin The Game Thread Dude

It was a video but instagram doesn't allow embedded content
  20. kingsfan1984

kingsfan1984 Active Member

Oh i see off his facebook page. Looks like his body is continuing to improve. Looking forward to next season
  21. fansinceday1

fansinceday1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to translate.

Ive made a 180 with georgois. He seems to be a very hard working young kid and that is half the battle right there. I can't wait to see how much this kid grows!
    Suicide King, Nightfall and lwc like this.
  22. fansinceday1

fansinceday1 Well-Known Member

Even Boogie is adding his encouragement!
    Nightfall and lwc like this.
  23. Kingster

Kingster Well-Known Member

The #1 thing I want Papa G to work on over the summer is to rectify his bad habit of putting the ball on the floor after getting it close to the basket (within 12' or so) in an offensive rebound situation. If he can just learn to offensive rebound, have balance, and put it up with a jump hook with no dribble he's going to have much higher effectiveness next year.

In the same vein, when WCS isn't undergoing navy seal training, I'd like for him to take a look at the film when he also gets the ball within 12' because usually his feet are flailing in all kinds of directions when he puts up the shot. If he can just take a half a beat longer and get his balance for a jump hook he also could finish much better and be much more valuable to this team.
    funkykingston, VF21 and lwc like this.
  24. VF21

VF21 #TheFutureIsSkal Staff Member Contributor

I couldn't possibly agree more. IIRC, it took Jason Thompson years to quit doing the same thing.
  25. Telemachus

Telemachus Well-Known Member

Duane Causwell never figured that little problem out.
  26. biltalent

biltalent Well-Known Member

I just saw this uploaded to youtube.
    lwc likes this.
  27. Tetsujin

Tetsujin The Game Thread Dude

To be fair, Papa is still over a year away from being able to drink legally. I say we give him until he's almost able to legally rent a car
    Warhawk and VF21 like this.
  28. origkds

origkds What- Me Worry? Contributor

This! Once he starts drinking he'll be fine.
    Mass, Spike, VF21 and 3 others like this.
  29. Well, he can drink legally in Greece i think :D send him to "workout" there during summer....
  30. Jeremy Fraser

Jeremy Fraser Active Member

Jason Thompson
    Quit bad habits

Pick one