Georgios Papagiannis

Discussion in 'Kings Rap' started by VF21, Mar 18, 2017.

1. itzcoatl

itzcoatl Well-Known Member

:eek::eek::eek:
  2. gunks

gunks Well-Known Member

One can't bring up "The Tag" without someone else posting the video of him dancing in his hotpants.

I think that's an unspoken rule of this forum.

And also why I'm leery of ever bringing up Tag. :p
  3. John Galt

John Galt Well-Known Member

point taken lol.

I never thought of him as a straight bum. He had 6 fouls to dish out, shots to block - he competed like a Sloan player was expected to compete. you know what I mean.
  4. Hoovtrain

Hoovtrain Well-Known Member

I'm liking seeing this guy improve
    lwc, NowImLost, Blastoff and 7 others like this.
  5. ppine

ppine Active Member

Papa has a ton of talent for a 19 yo big kid. He needs to work on his feet and his mental attitude. He glides around the floor like a lot of European players. He needs to get mean and start pushing some people around. Defense might be his greatest weakness.
  6. King Baller

King Baller Well-Known Member

Bam Bam will be OK. Once he realizes that Adams, Gobert, etc. are trying to take away his lunch money he will start to battle more. Already he sets nice hard screens and is not afraid to scrap for the ball.
  7. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Well-Known Member

He needs to lose the extra baggage but that seems to already be progressing nicely since draft night.
  8. iowamcnabb

iowamcnabb Active Member

I found his postgame interview interesting. He mentioned that the team really enjoys playing together and spending time off the court. Team chemistry is really important so it's nice to hear that this young team has it.
  9. KingsFanSince85

KingsFanSince85 Well-Known Member

Ask Coach Joerger whether chemistry or talent wins games.
    Sac.1989 likes this.
  10. Kingsfan23

Kingsfan23 Well-Known Member

How exactly is his name pronounced? I thought it was George E Ohs, not Your Gus, lol
  11. LPKingsFan

LPKingsFan Well-Known Member

Your Gus is as good as mine
    Amit149, lwc, Ron and 8 others like this.
  12. iowamcnabb

iowamcnabb Active Member

They both are necessary for long term team success.
  13. macadocious

macadocious Well-Known Member

Right now

Great Screen Setter
    OK Rebounder
    Above Average touch
    Poor court awareness when posting
    Poor ball control (brings it down, too much dribbling in traffic)
    Decent shooter, although he seems hesitant to let it fly

I'm impressed so far. A lot of those things are maturity and experience.
  14. 63royals

63royals Active Member

He really needs to watch out for guys sneaking up behind him to slap the ball away. Big problem in the Dallas game.
    lwc and VF21 like this.
  15. Telemachus

Telemachus Well-Known Member

I'm pleasantly surprised by his improvement over the year. And at 19, it would be interesting if he is still growing. One can only hope.
  16. Kingster

Kingster Well-Known Member

When I look at Papa I see a guy who really could be very good if he improves a reasonable amount for the next three years. No guarantee, but unlike during the summer league and the beginning of the season, I can at least see a player now. One thing that I really go ga-ga over is after getting a defensive rebound he throws overhead with two hands a rifle outlet pass to the guard flying up the floor. It is so rare to see that these days. Give me more, Papa. Give me more.
  17. Tetsujin

Tetsujin The Game Thread Dude

Brad Miller and Vlade spoiled us for years but the outlet pass is a relatively lost art in the modern NBA.
  18. Suicide King

Suicide King Active Member

I am very happy we still have 2K here and that he has taken him under his wing. I think that gaining knowledge and insight from Kosta is going to really pay off years from now.

Papa has work to do for sure but the signs are there of a promising big. If he gets a little aggresiveness on top of polishing his fundamentals the league may be in for something.
  19. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

your gos

g's are often silent in Greek, not always though.

Like "gyro" sandwich. Pronounced "year-o"
  20. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

What's nice is the rate of improvement.

Also, that touch he has, both in close and with his jumper... is going to get even better.
  21. The_Jamal

The_Jamal Well-Known Member

I'm excited to see what he can do in SL after working on his body more and continuing to get in better shape. The rate of improvement has been astounding honestly; the fact he's able to give pretty decent back-up C minutes at this point is something I never would have guessed after his previous summer.

I really do think his conditioning is the key to unlocking his potential. During Summer League, we saw nothing other than a big 7'0 stiff because he was focusing so much on just getting up and down the court and looked gassed after a couple minutes. Now, he's still incredibly raw with a lot to learn, but you can definitely see the skill that made him an intriguing prospect; rebounds well, contests shots (and willing), good touch, can move well for a dude his size, has a 15-foot jumper, great screen-setter.
    lwc, kingdivac, jcassio and 6 others like this.
  22. Ron

Ron Active Member

No, your 2nd option is closer to the real thing... :)
    It is pronounced like:
    YOR-GOS PA-PA-YA-NIS
    lwc and Čarolija like this.
  23. Kingster

It sure is. And when I think of those guys I really don't think about outlet passes, more like the high post passes that they did in the set-up offense. The only guy that I can think of that is a good outlet passer in today's NBA is Kevin Love. As someone who actually saw Wes Unseld and Bill Walton throw outlet passes I sure do hunger to see it again.
    lwc, HndsmCelt and Suicide King like this.
  24. lawlman91

lawlman91 Well-Known Member

I say Georgios as Your (roll tongue slightly on the r) Yos
  25. Larry89

Larry89 Disgruntled Kings Fan

Papa G looks like he is going to be a good defender in the future
  26. hrdboild

hrdboild Well-Known Member

Setting good screens is arguably the most important skill for a bigman to have in the current NBA. I like having Gorgeous Georgios on the roster and I look forward to watching him rattle Lakers bones then rumble to the basket for clumsy half hooks or thunderous putbacks for many years to come. Now that we've seen the second shoe drop (hard to say Vlade wasn't already planning a Cousins trade prior to last year's draft at this point) picking up two more 7 footers in the first round last year makes a lot of sense. In fact, if these guys continue to progress at their current rates and we add another high-ceiling bigman next year in the 2018 bigman bonanza draft, our front court rotation could be the envy of the league in a couple years.
    Suicide King and VF21 like this.
  27. VF21

VF21 #TheFutureIsSkal Staff Member Contributor

I am soooooo conflicted. While I'm still upset about how the trade went down, as time goes by it appears Vlade's draft picks and last trade may show that he does, in fact, know what he's doing.
  28. Kingster

Regarding the screens of Papa, one of the things I'm very much looking forward to is the developing chemistry of Papa and Buddy in setting up the screen by Buddy and doing the screen at the right time and place by Papa. Papa could really make the life of Buddy so much easier down the road in getting off his shot with nobody close to him.
    lwc, hrdboild, VF21 and 2 others like this.
  29. New Era

New Era Well-Known Member

After a lot of us were absolutely hammering Vlade a few months ago, it just goes to show you that you just can't really rush to judgment on decisions that are made. It's looking like he nailed all 3 of his draft picks this year and WCS is looking good for where he was drafted too. Buddy is looking like a stud. I can't wait for next year.
    lwc, John Galt and VF21 like this.
  30. jcassio

jcassio Active Member

He may get bigger, but he'll only become less mobile.
    Čarolija likes this.