George Karl's Wild Ride

• Thread starter SacramentoKings
  • Start date
The Kings will never hire Thibs. Vlade and Vivek love offense and fast-paced play. I entered the season ready to be satisfied with 38 wins. I don't think they'll make it. Karl will probably be the fall guy.

That's some funny crap.

It's actually a bit scary how easy it is to write something that sounds a lot like what Karl says acts like:
Q: You are playing this team, aren't you? Why don't you practice late-game execution enough?
A: This team fails because our players aren't stepping it up when it counts. We win because of my otherworldly fast-paced free flowing offense. Defense doesn't win championships, basketball masterminds do.

The Kings will never hire Thibs. Vlade and Vivek love offense and fast-paced play. I entered the season ready to be satisfied with 38 wins. I don't think they'll make it. Karl will probably be the fall guy.
You also have to factor in the Vlade not being an idiot part.

Might also want to consider that during the golden years, the Kings were consistently one of the league's best defensive teams.

There's also that thing where Vlade drafted a future DPOY candidate last summer, then went out and signed another of the top defending big men in the league in Koufos.

Koufos is being used HORRIBLY, defensively speaking, this year. That is a perfect example of how you can't just clamor for "better defensive players"... you need a proper defensive system. One of the top interior defenders in the league comes here and suddenly he's just an average defender? Sorry, not buying it.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
You also have to factor in the Vlade not being an idiot part.

Might also want to consider that during the golden years, the Kings were consistently one of the league's best defensive teams.

There's also that thing where Vlade drafted a future DPOY candidate last summer, then went out and signed another of the top defending big men in the league in Koufos.

Koufos is being used HORRIBLY, defensively speaking, this year. That is a perfect example of how you can just clamor for "better defensive players"... you need a proper defensive system. One of the top interior defenders in the league come here and suddenly he's just an average defender? Sorry, not buying it.
Agreed....I think the other post saying Vlade loves pace....I'm sure Vlade loves whatever works. He's put together the makings of a good team, solid interior defense, a team that can run when needed and then go half court when needed as you got two guys who can score in the paint. Is hard to see right now but, the foundation is getting built. Need some tweaks here and there but the biggest change has to be at head coach. Defense matters, it matters quite a bit. This roster needs more defensive structure and George is capable of doing it, then he should make it happen but it's obvious that he's not going down that route when he and the assistants keep saying that they need to pick up the pace each game or halftime.....that is their answer.....it's absurd.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Are we talking about a different Vlade Divac, because the one I'm familiar with is NOT the one you're describing. Care to elaborate?

Rajon Rondo,on what's important to him in his upcoming free agency: "Coach, personnel and the biggest thing for me is the style of play." -from ESPN.

Interesting that the first thing that popped into his head was coach.

Aaron Bruski on the kings insider podcast with the quote of the year blasting Karl's system after explaining how a post up offense centered around Demarcus should be run to James Ham:

And that's the way a post offense works. But because these guys don't have that in their playbook - it's literally not a play in their playbook - they don't know how to run it other than to go based on their collective experience with 'this is how we've done post entry with others teams or in the past'. So not only do you not have your most effective play being called - and that is not just me talking, that's your buddies on the telecast, that's you, that's Michael Malone on record saying 'You know what, I don't like him shooting 3s because it takes him away from where he is most effective', that's every scout I've talked to, that is every front office person I've talked to, that is every single person other than in the sacramento bubble or in the George Karl Media Camp. Everybody is wondering why this isn't happening. So again we're here talking about why is the offense so scatterbrained and why is the defense not there. It's hard to be a good defensive team when you're running for your life because that is the only way you can score points.

Last edited:
Rajon Rondo,on what's important to him in his upcoming free agency: "Coach, personnel and the biggest thing for me is the style of play." -from ESPN.

Interesting that the first thing that popped into his head was coach.
Wow - so even RONDO is doing what he can to apply pressure to the organization to make Karl change.
The players seem to be the only ones that care about the direction and fit of the team, able to see what works and what doesn't.

Why can;t ownership/management see it?

Wow - so even RONDO is doing what he can to apply pressure to the organization to make Karl change.
The players seem to be the only ones that care about the direction and fit of the team, able to see what works and what doesn't.

Why can;t ownership/management see it?
I have absolutely no way of knowing, but I suspect the management (or at least Vlade) DO see it. Vlade isn't the kind of guy to make a drastic rash decision, especially not while we're still within striking distance of the playoffs. For all we know, he already contacted Thibs and got a commitment to "talk" in the summer (notice how Thibs said he'll wait till summer to make a decision). Basically, you do not want the repeat of last year when the hungry (if a bit misguided) fan base pressured the ownership into doing something we're all regretting now.

I have absolutely no way of knowing, but I suspect the management (or at least Vlade) DO see it. Vlade isn't the kind of guy to make a drastic rash decision, especially not while we're still within striking distance of the playoffs. For all we know, he already contacted Thibs and got a commitment to "talk" in the summer (notice how Thibs said he'll wait till summer to make a decision). Basically, you do not want the repeat of last year when the hungry (if a bit misguided) fan base pressured the ownership into doing something we're all regretting now.
Vlade made all-in-move this summer, why should he stop now he's a couple moves, a player and coach away from a decent playoff team.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Another lost season.

Might be time to get the new guy in and lay the foundation for next year.

Karl is a stubborn fool. He just doesnt have it anymore. This team isn't going to all of a sudden "get it", because with Karl...There is nothing to get.

Fire the guy.

The carousel continues. Yay.

Vlade made all-in-move this summer, why should he stop now he's a couple moves, a player and coach away from a decent playoff team.
Hence the "within striking distance of the playoffs" part. Bringing in a new coach mid-season is a huge risk, no matter the fit, and I think Vlade is playing it safe for now. However, if we lose, say 8 of the next 10 (or if the locker room just blows up on Karl in the meantime), then he obviously would have to pull the trigger. I just sincerely hope he has some sort of agreement with Thibs or some other defensive coach for when that happens.

Hence the "within striking distance of the playoffs" part. Bringing in a new coach mid-season is a huge risk, no matter the fit, and I think Vlade is playing it safe for now. However, if we lose, say 8 of the next 10 (or if the locker room just blows up on Karl in the meantime), then he obviously would have to pull the trigger. I just sincerely hope he has some sort of agreement with Thibs or some other defensive coach for when that happens.

What are they going to do, lose more? Good, then that means they guarantee their own pick this year. If they lose too many more games like the 8 of 10 you speak of before making a move the chances of making the post season are looking pretty dim anyway. Even if they somehow come out of it after letting him go. Fire him now and maybe the players feel the pressure now while there is still some chance of making it to April.

Playing it safe is what the FO has been doing over a decade, I thought Vlade is a gambler type of GM and I think its the time. I understand your point, its a double edged sword, but seeing the inability to fix the defense, especially at the perimeter and 3pt line is mind boggling. I think we will lose it either way, but with a new coach/"system" we might have a chance 50/50.

What are they going to do, lose more? Good, then that means they guarantee their own pick this year. If they lose too many more games like the 8 of 10 you speak of before making a move the chances of making the post season are looking pretty dim anyway. Even if they somehow come out of it after letting him go. Fire him now and maybe the players feel the pressure now while there is still some chance of making it to April.
Right, my point is - I think Vlade won't pull that trigger until he has absolutely no hope of us making the playoffs with Karl. For most here (including me, just check my thoughts on Karl earlier in this thread) that time has long past. But Vlade does have access to information we do not (for example, is there anyone qualified lined up to step in, be that Corliss or Thibs or someone else?) If I had to bet, the moment of truth will be around the All-Star break at the current rate.

Playing it safe is what the FO has been doing over a decade, I thought Vlade is a gambler type of GM and I think its the time. I understand your point, its a double edged sword, but seeing the inability to fix the defense, especially at the perimeter and 3pt line is mind boggling. I think we will lose it either way, but with a new coach/"system" we might have a chance 50/50.
I don't see Vlade as a gambler type, a "calculated risk-taker" maybe. I'm as pissed about our so-called defense as the next guy, but remember - over-reacting a year ago is exactly what's gotten us into this mess in the first place. Until/unless our core players start demanding a trade or a truly vetted (read, good fit for our players) alternative presents itself, I don't think the world is burning. That said, I can definitely feel the ice under Karl's feet cracking - at least this time it won't be blamed on Cuz's coach-killing tendencies (hopefully!)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Right, my point is - I think Vlade won't pull that trigger until he has absolutely no hope of us making the playoffs with Karl. For most here (including me, just check my thoughts on Karl earlier in this thread) that time has long past. But Vlade does have access to information we do not (for example, is there anyone qualified lined up to step in, be that Corliss or Thibs or someone else?) If I had to bet, the moment of truth will be around the All-Star break at the current rate.
After tonight, it's no longer about the playoffs.

More on this in the "Shots fired" thread.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Another lost season.

Might be time to get the new guy in and lay the foundation for next year.

Karl is a stubborn fool. He just doesnt have it anymore. This team isn't going to all of a sudden "get it", because with Karl...There is nothing to get.

Fire the guy.

The carousel continues. Yay.
Tank for Dunn?

I don't see Vlade as a gambler type, a "calculated risk-taker" maybe. I'm as pissed about our so-called defense as the next guy, but remember - over-reacting a year ago is exactly what's gotten us into this mess in the first place. Until/unless our core players start demanding a trade or a truly vetted (read, good fit for our players) alternative presents itself, I don't think the world is burning. That said, I can definitely feel the ice under Karl's feet cracking - at least this time it won't be blamed on Cuz's coach-killing tendencies (hopefully!)
Shots fired after the game.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Its possible this:

may finally be becoming this:
I don't know, it looks a lot like we're winning in this scenario and George Karl is in for a rough morning. Exactly how "George Karl's wild ride" should end. Or are we not the horse?

EDIT .... Nevermind, Brickie. I'm a little slow on the uptake. :)

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Speaking of horses....

I just want to beat this dead one real quick:

Malone's Nuggets: 20-31

Karl's Kings: 21-29

Will Malone coach his squad of journeymen and scrubs to a better record than the Rondo/Gay/Cuz three headed monster Kings with Karl at the wheel? Stay tuned to find out!