George Karl interview on ESPN 1320

I didn't get the chance to listen to the interview, but I just read some of his comments. I apologize if this was posted already, I didn't see it.

NEW YORK -- George Karl is ready to coach again, this time with the Kings, and shared that sentiment and more in an interview with SVP & Russillo, provided by ESPN Radio 1320 in Sacramento.

“I’m 63 years old,” said Karl. “I think I have a lot of energy. Yesterday, being back in Chapel Hill, and going through the process of listening to the great stories about Coach Smith, I think it fired me up . . . so I’m ready to go.”

Karl knows the task of turning around the Kings (18-34) won’t be easy.

“This has been a season of ugly for Sacramento players . . . if you have the talent and the mindset to get to the NBA, you’re possessed by a competitive mentality that losing just isn’t a part of something that you accept.”

Karl’s coaching philosophy has produced the sixth most wins as a head coach in the NBA and in Sacramento he has a foundation question.

“The question I have is, how do we commit to each other. . .and how we connect?” Karl said.

"As a coach, a lot of time players aren’t going to like what I’m doing but basically I think they all realize that I’m there to make them better and I hope they’ll realize that I love to win and the passion for winning and the drive to play winning basketball is what I’m trying to do every day.”

Karl, who has turned around teams in midseason twice before in Seattle and Denver, has a plan for the Kings.

“I’ve got to build it around their talent,” Karl added. “I’ve got to build it around their skills.”

"And the number one talent is DeMarcus (Cousins). He’s a 20 and 20 guy sometimes even when he doesn’t play well.”

"I’ve got find a way to make him better. I have to find a way to make him more efficient. I’ve got to figure out where to put him . . . and mentor him into being a winner, and an energizer, rather than the guy that we see at times frustrated and showing his emotions on his sleeve probably to a fault."

Karl also acknowledges, he can’t do it alone.

“And I’ll put a staff together that will try to make them the best basketball players in the world,” Karl added.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/kings/karl-has-specific-plan-rebuild-kings?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I didn't get the chance to listen to the interview, but I just read some of his comments. I apologize if this was posted already, I didn't see it.

NEW YORK -- George Karl is ready to coach again, this time with the Kings, and shared that sentiment and more in an interview with SVP & Russillo, provided by ESPN Radio 1320 in Sacramento.

“I’m 63 years old,” said Karl. “I think I have a lot of energy. Yesterday, being back in Chapel Hill, and going through the process of listening to the great stories about Coach Smith, I think it fired me up . . . so I’m ready to go.”

Karl knows the task of turning around the Kings (18-34) won’t be easy.

“This has been a season of ugly for Sacramento players . . . if you have the talent and the mindset to get to the NBA, you’re possessed by a competitive mentality that losing just isn’t a part of something that you accept.”

Karl’s coaching philosophy has produced the sixth most wins as a head coach in the NBA and in Sacramento he has a foundation question.

“The question I have is, how do we commit to each other. . .and how we connect?” Karl said.

"As a coach, a lot of time players aren’t going to like what I’m doing but basically I think they all realize that I’m there to make them better and I hope they’ll realize that I love to win and the passion for winning and the drive to play winning basketball is what I’m trying to do every day.”

Karl, who has turned around teams in midseason twice before in Seattle and Denver, has a plan for the Kings.

“I’ve got to build it around their talent,” Karl added. “I’ve got to build it around their skills.”

"And the number one talent is DeMarcus (Cousins). He’s a 20 and 20 guy sometimes even when he doesn’t play well.”

"I’ve got find a way to make him better. I have to find a way to make him more efficient. I’ve got to figure out where to put him . . . and mentor him into being a winner, and an energizer, rather than the guy that we see at times frustrated and showing his emotions on his sleeve probably to a fault."

Karl also acknowledges, he can’t do it alone.

“And I’ll put a staff together that will try to make them the best basketball players in the world,” Karl added.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/kings/karl-has-specific-plan-rebuild-kings?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo
Thanks and if it has been posted before, you needn't apologize. I'd rather have something duplicated than missed totally.

What?! Making the players that you already have, better? Blasphemy! Everyone knows the solution is to trade trade trade

What an idiot

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The part of the interview I like the most, is when he said he's known for his offense, but the first thing he needs to work on when he gets here, is defense. He said you can't get out and run unless you get stops, so defense is very important. I'm paraphrasing of course.
Don't know if the Cousins/Simmons interview has been posted or not, but here it is.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:12319972

The part of the interview I like the most, is when he said he's known for his offense, but the first thing he needs to work on when he gets here, is defense. He said you can't get out and run unless you get stops, so defense is very important. I'm paraphrasing of course.
Don't know if the Cousins/Simmons interview has been posted or not, but here it is.

Fun interview. I'm not a big Simmons guy but he knows how to ask questions. Was it me or did DMC seem like he didn't want to be there?

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I think the premise that he'll turn this thing into Denver part II is false. Yes, he's proven he can be one of the best up and down, up tempo coaches in the league as the Denver situation showed but he's also won with other styles.

The greater point is you don't get to where he is in win totals without being incredibly smart and knowing how to build around your best players, put them in a position to succeed. The counter-argument to that would be Don Nelson but Karl doesn't strike me as anywhere near as kooky as that guy.

This is Karl's last chance at climbing the ranks as far as coaching wins are concerned but more importantly, to finally get a ring. That would take a few years to get to that level, if we even do and I'm not going to put the cart before the horse on this but the point is it's his last real chance to leave his mark on the league and he's too intelligent to not ride Cuz as best he can to get there.

I btw have little to no concern about Karl and Cuz getting along. They'll do fine. Cuz's frustration was mislabeled by the media, his problem is with our FO/ownership, them not having a well thought out plan or anything approaching it and their unprofessionalism which caused him to have to defend himself against their leaks.

To be honest, what I expect is something similar to what we had with Adelman, a more fluid offense with Cuz as the focal point as Webber was, a fair amount more movement and much better spacing, and defense leading to offense/transition opportunities. It won't be up and down for the sake of being up and down. Of course, that will require a fair amount of roster turnover this coming summer.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
those quotes sure are a breath of fresh air...Karl will put his players in positions where they will succeed not the other way around. Let's hope what he preaches is effective and we get a small sneak peak with these remaining games.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
those quotes sure are a breath of fresh air...Karl will put his players in positions where they will succeed not the other way around. Let's hope what he preaches is effective and we get a small sneak peak with these remaining games.
He has nothing to prove. The players know that and I sure as hell hope Vivek knows that. He can talk a good game and coach a good game. He has instant credibility. What's not to like?

Best interviewer in the business.

Simmons on Marcus Smart - "I think you would like playing with him..."

Cousins immediately responds back with "Is he coming to Sacramento?"

DMC just might be my favorite King of all time. I love how loyal this guy is to Sacramento!

"I’ve got find a way to make him better. I have to find a way to make him more efficient. I’ve got to figure out where to put him . . . and mentor him into being a winner, and an energizer"

i about teared up reading that section. Beautiful.

Now the league is really going to have a hard time stopping God's plan

Thank you for the audio.
I personally didn't like the part concerning Demarcus's emotions. Why does every announcer, coach or journalist always refers to Cousins emotions as a weakness? He is very much under control and his emotional approach to the game causes him to really go out there every night to dominate the game. He is that good, cause he is angry and hostile. He is not making friends with his opponents and loves to get physical. If you try to change him into a big, always smiling Mr. Sunshine you are taking away the core of his playstyle and the source of his energy. There are only a few players in todays NBA, that really lock into the game from an emotional standpoint - Noah, Allen, Cousins. Those guys use their emotions to really grow beyond their limitations and out of this group Cousins is the most talented. He does not have the ability to outrun or outjump most of his opponents - he goes right threw them, shoving, scrapping and clawing. You can't do this without having a hostile "I will dominate you skinny a..." attitude.
Just let DMC be who he wants to be, live with the T's and use his emotions as a strength (like Malone did btw.). Who cares if he is the NBA's next posterboy. I as a fan gladly leave this role to Griffin and AD and cheer for the angry bear, that takes this guys into the post and bullies them around.

Thank you for the audio.
I personally didn't like the part concerning Demarcus's emotions. Why does every announcer, coach or journalist always refers to Cousins emotions as a weakness? He is very much under control and his emotional approach to the game causes him to really go out there every night to dominate the game. He is that good, cause he is angry and hostile. He is not making friends with his opponents and loves to get physical. If you try to change him into a big, always smiling Mr. Sunshine you are taking away the core of his playstyle and the source of his energy. There are only a few players in todays NBA, that really lock into the game from an emotional standpoint - Noah, Allen, Cousins. Those guys use their emotions to really grow beyond their limitations and out of this group Cousins is the most talented. He does not have the ability to outrun or outjump most of his opponents - he goes right threw them, shoving, scrapping and clawing. You can't do this without having a hostile "I will dominate you skinny a..." attitude.
Just let DMC be who he wants to be, live with the T's and use his emotions as a strength (like Malone did btw.). Who cares if he is the NBA's next posterboy. I as a fan gladly leave this role to Griffin and AD and cheer for the angry bear, that takes this guys into the post and bullies them around.
I think Karl meant that "wearing his emotions on his sleeves" is the weakness not the emotion itself. He can still keep the emotions and drive (which is a strength) just don't let the opposition exploit it or get him in trouble with the ref. emotion is great but not if it keeps you off the court.

After hearing the audio to Karl's interview I'm now convinced he will be great here, and that he can lead us to championship contention, at least with competent GM'ing. (I'm looking at you, Pete.)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I think the premise that he'll turn this thing into Denver part II is false. Yes, he's proven he can be one of the best up and down, up tempo coaches in the league as the Denver situation showed but he's also won with other styles.

The greater point is you don't get to where he is in win totals without being incredibly smart and knowing how to build around your best players, put them in a position to succeed. The counter-argument to that would be Don Nelson but Karl doesn't strike me as anywhere near as kooky as that guy.

This is Karl's last chance at climbing the ranks as far as coaching wins are concerned but more importantly, to finally get a ring. That would take a few years to get to that level, if we even do and I'm not going to put the cart before the horse on this but the point is it's his last real chance to leave his mark on the league and he's too intelligent to not ride Cuz as best he can to get there.

I btw have little to no concern about Karl and Cuz getting along. They'll do fine. Cuz's frustration was mislabeled by the media, his problem is with our FO/ownership, them not having a well thought out plan or anything approaching it and their unprofessionalism which caused him to have to defend himself against their leaks.

To be honest, what I expect is something similar to what we had with Adelman, a more fluid offense with Cuz as the focal point as Webber was, a fair amount more movement and much better spacing, and defense leading to offense/transition opportunities. It won't be up and down for the sake of being up and down. Of course, that will require a fair amount of roster turnover this coming summer.
I think your spot on with this post. Not much I can add, other than the best coaches in the NBA are those that construct a system that fits the talent they have, rather than making the players try to fit an ill fitting system. Cuz will get along with any coach that creates a winning atmosphere, and who doesn't lie to him and throw him under the bus. It's all about trust with Cousins. He'll have your back as long as you have his.