[Game] [GAME] Kings vs Magic 1/8/12

So nice to see Tyreke back to the Tyreke that we love. Hopefully he plays like this the rest of the season.

What was with the shooting in this game? No one could hit a 3. If Thornton played a decent game, we would have won.

Great to see Tyreke and Boogie continue their upward form. Shame Thornton didnt get it going. Defense was good in parts. Liked the JT and JJ combo on the floor

Tyreke had a great game but his decision making down the stretch will have to improve, if he wants to be a big game player.

he took 2 bad shots with a couple of mins to go, and the play where he drove turned around and threw the ball over his head was less than special.

still thats bball; these things take years to come unless you're MJ.

Orlando's motto tonight was to "live and die by the 3" and they ended up living by hitting some big 3s.

Still, can't believe Kings couldn't pull it off with Dwight only scoring 5 points and grabbing 4 boards in 17 minutes.

Can we please replace Salmons with someone who can actually hit open shots? If your designated 3 point shooter repeatedly clunks his wide open corner 3s far right off the rim I don't think he's someone you should be designating as your 3 point shooter.

I really like the effort I saw on the floor today, but the lack of basketball IQ can drive you absolutely nuts. I'm watching players consistantly go under screens on JJ Redick, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. This team just makes so many bonehead plays and decisions through the game that costs them Wins. Today could've easily been a Win. Even with how annoying Walton is, he made such a good point non stop about the guards pounding the ball into the ground and walking it up the floor. Get out and GO when you have a quick/slashing lineup on the floor!

Can we please replace Salmons with someone who can actually hit open shots? If your designated 3 point shooter repeatedly clunks his wide open corner 3s far right off the rim I don't think he's someone you should be designating as your 3 point shooter.
Is it just me or does he always get the ball right when there could be a huge momentum shift and he misses everytime

I really like the effort I saw on the floor today, but the lack of basketball IQ can drive you absolutely nuts. I'm watching players consistantly go under screens on JJ Redick, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. This team just makes so many bonehead plays and decisions through the game that costs them Wins. Today could've easily been a Win. Even with how annoying Walton is, he made such a good point non stop about the guards pounding the ball into the ground and walking it up the floor. Get out and GO when you have a quick/slashing lineup on the floor!
Well, the good thing is that coach seems to be emphasizing pushing the ball. He's saying that right now it's not a habit for the players yet, but over time they should be pushing it a lot more. It also comes down to conditioning and the stamina of our players.

What I can't understand is why Grant and Jerry seem to have this idea that Salmons is some offensive God. Err hello, do you not remember his ball pounding ways back here? He isn't exactly the greatest shooter either, so I have no idea why they seem so surprised that Salmons isn't doing anything for us offensively.

Well, the good thing is that coach seems to be emphasizing pushing the ball. He's saying that right now it's not a habit for the players yet, but over time they should be pushing it a lot more. It also comes down to conditioning and the stamina of our players.

What I can't understand is why Grant and Jerry seem to have this idea that Salmons is some offensive God. Err hello, do you not remember his ball pounding ways back here? He isn't exactly the greatest shooter either, so I have no idea why they seem so surprised that Salmons isn't doing anything for us offensively.
Compared to his career numbers, he is shooting much worse across the board. For his career he was hitting around 37% from 3 and is now at 30% this season. Similar drops in his FG% and FT%. Hopefully he is just off to a slow start and isn't starting his decline already. He is only 33 and hasn't had any major injuries. May have lost a step, but that shouldn't have such a dramatic impact on his shooting %.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Compared to his career numbers, he is shooting much worse across the board. For his career he was hitting around 37% from 3 and is now at 30% this season. Similar drops in his FG% and FT%. Hopefully he is just off to a slow start and isn't starting his decline already. He is only 33 and hasn't had any major injuries. May have lost a step, but that shouldn't have such a dramatic impact on his shooting %.

The combination of old legs, short training camp, heavy minutes, and tons of games every week might do it though.

I wish Salmons would only hang around the 3 point line to shoot 3 pointers and play defense. As good as his dribble drives, pull up jumpers and fadeaways are, we don't need that from him, that's what Thornton and Tyreke is for.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Salmons was 4-8 tonight. I am not a Salmons lover and I think the trade that got him here was a very big mistake. Just the same, offensively tonight he didn't seem to feel the need to be a hero. The guy who let us down was Thornton and I don't think that will happen often. He lofted 16 shots.

Salmons is good for two - could them - two great drives-and-buckets every game.

The rest is a crapshoot... or crappy shots, take your pick.

If he would play around the 3 point line, for one, he will become a better spot up 3 point shooter getting setup by our other players. And two, it would give the idea to the other players on our team what to expect. That he won't be dribbling and cutting to the basket, that he'll only be there to shoot the 3, or pass the ball. Three, it might give more responsibility to Thornton and Reke on being the primary ballhandlers, which i think is a good thing.

Salmons didn't play good tonight, thats's for sure. But I still believe he can be a valuable asset for this team. He was solid defensively, made some shots and I recall a pretty pass to JT for a layup. He has got to hit the open 3s though, if he can do that will be a really hard to guard team.

I did not like Thornton's decision making, he jacked up some awful shots.

Thornton has that superstar mentality where he'll keep shooting until he's hitting.

can either help, or hinder, depending on whether his shots falling.

I don't like seeing him pass up open people on the three point line to shoot over people though.