[Game] Game 3: Sacramento Kings @ Los Angeles Clippers, 11/02/14, 12:30 PST, 3:30 EST

Spencer Hawes is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are we going to do about the SG position? We cannot continue getting 1 made FG per game from that position.......
It is what it is. We've used two major assets in draft picks so we have to live with young guys that need to develop. To their credit, their defense has been more than respectable and they aren't killing us with poor play. They just aren't hitting shots. If you suddenly start getting a few 3's a game out of them, it might do for the year.

Collison - the difference maker. His defense is very contagious.

I hope next time, Malone tries Rac McCallum instead of the uninspired Sessions. Sessions needs some benching to have time to think twice about his career. He is stinking just like DWill!

It is what it is. We've used two major assets in draft picks so we have to live with young guys that need to develop. To their credit, their defense has been more than respectable and they aren't killing us with poor play. They just aren't hitting shots. If you suddenly start getting a few 3's a game out of them, it might do for the year.
Which is why we should probably go ahead and start giving Nik the minutes. Ben just simply can't knock down wide open shots. and it's not like there is much of a defensive difference, hell Nik had 3 blocks today. And ben kept leaving Reddick wide open...

Casspi was very efficient overall, but I doubt he can play SG. He was obviously having difficulties keeping up with Redick and was bailed by misses. If you play Gay and Casspi together, it would make sense to have Gay guard the opponent SG and Casspi (who is also a bit taller than Gay) guard their SF.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Casspi was great today but let's not get ahead of ourselves about him playing SG all the time. Reddick is probably one of the slower, more perimeter oriented 2's in the league. That wouldn't have worked against a lot of SGs. Kudos to Malone for recognizing it and for Casspi for taking advantage of the opportunity.
The point isn't that it wouldn't have worked against a lot of SGs. The point is that it worked today and Malone was able to exploit it.

Which is why we should probably go ahead and start giving Nik the minutes. Ben just simply can't knock down wide open shots. and it's not like there is much of a defensive difference, hell Nik had 3 blocks today. And ben kept leaving Reddick wide open...
Not sure if you've noticed but Nik hasn't exactly been lighting it up either. If they are both struggling to hit shots, one is performing better on d and we don't want to repeat another year of throwing a SG in before they are ready, let's just keep it as is.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Casspi was great today but let's not get ahead of ourselves about him playing SG all the time. Reddick is probably one of the slower, more perimeter oriented 2's in the league. That wouldn't have worked against a lot of SGs. Kudos to Malone for recognizing it and for Casspi for taking advantage of the opportunity.
This is true -- it's going to be match-up dependent. Casspi is quicker than he looks, but it probably wouldn't be a good move to play him at SG down the stretch against Phoenix, Chicago, Houston, GS, or Dallas. The Lakers are so bad at SF that it won't matter. Using him like we did today though in the fourth quarter against a team that doesn't look for a lot of offense from the SG position is a good way to let Omri continue to impact the game when we need it without benching Rudy or sacrificing size down low.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Which is exactly what I said.
I took your comment to mean that folks were putting Casspi into the SG slot prematurely. I was saying that I don't think that's what most were saying, so much as they were applauding the fact that - for once - Malone played proactively by sliding Casspi over to the two to exploit the situation. Subtle difference. Main thing, though, is I think we're both glad that for today, at least, it worked. :)

Casspi was very efficient overall, but I doubt he can play SG. He was obviously having difficulties keeping up with Redick and was bailed by misses. If you play Gay and Casspi together, it would make sense to have Gay guard the opponent SG and Casspi (who is also a bit taller than Gay) guard their SF.
Do it on offense as well. I don't think Casspi can be of much help bringing the ball up. Gay at least has the handles.

I took your comment to mean that folks were putting Casspi into the SG slot prematurely. I was saying that I don't think that's what most were saying, so much as they were applauding the fact that - for once - Malone played proactively by sliding Casspi over to the two to exploit the situation. Subtle difference. Main thing, though, is I think we're both glad that for today, at least, it worked. :)
Agreed.

I don't think, at least not yet, that Casspi should start at the 2. However, I do think that he should be on the floor in the final quarter. He creates shots for others and energizes the defense. On top of that, he feeds Cousins in a significant way.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
One last thing I want to mention, Sessions needs to sit out. He looks so uninspired and lackadaisical, we need energy coming off the bench. If only coach would give Ray some of Sessions' minutes...too bad we won't be seeing that.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm in the BayArea and LP streaming on my phone was blocked for the Kings games! I understand it for the Warriors. Wt.. So much for League pass trial , now I know I'm not getting it.

Really wanted to watch the game i thought I can stream it on my phone while at my daughter's recital.

Anyway, very happy beat the LA Clips!
How's that? I'm in the Bay and get every Kings game on LP except the four every year against GS, which are on local television. I also get the bonus of rarely having to watch a broadcast with Grant and Jerry.

Do it on offense as well. I don't think Casspi can be of much help bringing the ball up. Gay at least has the handles.
Right, actually last season the big lineup with Gay playing against their shooting guard, worked really well. Probably our best lineup down the stretch then...maybe it is now as well, with Casspi instead of Williams

One last thing I want to mention, Sessions needs to sit out. He looks so uninspired and lackadaisical, we need energy coming off the bench. If only coach would give Ray some of Sessions' minutes...too bad we won't be seeing that.
I haven't seen any inspired passion from Sessions yet. Not sure if that's his normal personality and how he's always played, or what,....but it certainly not what we need. Collison on the other hand, is the complete opposite....exactly what we've needed