Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

Alex Kennedy @AlexKennedyNBA
1 minute ago
Rudy Gay's camp is pumping breaks on reported agreement with Spurs. They have meetings scheduled over next few days. Rudy weighing options.

Jabari Young @JabariJYoung
1 minute ago
Correction. #Spurs made contact with Rudy Gay. Nothing offered as of yet.

Sean Cunningham @SeanCunningham
1 minute ago
Source says Rudy Gay "agreement" with San Antonio Spurs is "Not True".
Sounds like he wants to see if someone else will offer more

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The West is a freaking slaughterhouse. Minni takes a huge step up with Teague and Butler. OKC is for real with George and Westbrook.

Until I see otherwise, Iggy is "playing" the Kings, not playing for them. Does he really want to babysit Kings' youngins? Is he done with feeling that winning feeling and watching the Warriors probably win another championship while he's in Sacto? My imagination just can't go there. Unless the guy has frittered away all his money and desperately needs to go the highest bidder, no way no how does he go to the Kings. Interestingly, the Warriors are floating Gay as his possible replacement if he does in fact leave.

Too bad the Utah deal for Rubio makes their resigning of Ingles that much more probable according to what I heard on the news.

The West is a freaking slaughterhouse. Minni takes a huge step up with Teague and Butler. OKC is for real with George and Westbrook.

Until I see otherwise, Iggy is "playing" the Kings, not playing for them. Does he really want to babysit Kings' youngins? Is he done with feeling that winning feeling and watching the Warriors probably win another championship while he's in Sacto? My imagination just can't go there. Unless the guy has frittered away all his money and desperately needs to go the highest bidder, no way no how does he go to the Kings. Interestingly, the Warriors are floating Gay as his possible replacement if he does in fact leave.

Too bad the Utah deal for Rubio makes their resigning of Ingles that much more probable according to what I heard on the news.
I hope Hayward goes East, so that the West loosens up a bit

Watch the Kings offer him the truckload and he then proceeds to embarrass the Kings a second time and signs with the Warriors of the minimum.
This would be the best possible outcome. Why are the Kings trying to ruin the rebuild by overpaying for aging vets? So we can inhibit the development of the young players and get the 12th pick in the draft? So dumb!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I hope Hayward goes East, so that the West loosens up a bit
There was the opinion that if the Celtics would sign Hayward, they would then go after George, and succeed in part because of their getting Hayward. Now the question is: Does Hayward want to go to the Celtics without George or some other major player going there? Would Hayward alone tip the balance in the east? I kind of doubt it. I still see Cleveland winning (if they remain pat). And it's certain Hayward wouldn't tip the scales enough to give them a chance against the Warriors. Maybe Hayward stays in Utah. We'll see.

This would be the best possible outcome. Why are the Kings trying to ruin the rebuild by overpaying for aging vets? So we can inhibit the development of the young players and get the 12th pick in the draft? So dumb!
Because contrary to popular belief around here and also in Philadelphia, they are trying to do what you are supposed to do -- and that's try to win games and build a winning culture. Not only that, the Kings need to spend some $$ to get to the salary cap floor.

Not all these rookies and young players are ready to play full time. They need to be developed. And part of that development is "earning" playing time and learning how things are done at this level. Look how WCS started to play once he sat the bench early last season thus realized he wasn't going be handed PT simply because he was a lottery pick. He had to produce every time he got 5 or 10 minutes of floor time, even in garbage time, to earn another look. Because of that, his level of play and consistency really improved.

League is gonna have to do something about the competition. Might as well move the Cavs to the West and cut all the other teams.

LOL suckers

Jordan Schultz‏Verified account@Schultz_Report 7s8 seconds ago

Ben McLemore is drawing heavy interest from several teams. Former 5th 7th pick in the draft: Can shoot it sometimes, can't defend, only 24 years old.
Fixed it for you :)
In all seriousness, if I'm running a team I'm trying to get Ben on a low deal as well. Even if there's just a small chance he figures it, its still worth the gamble. Maybe a change of scenery does help. Would like to see him in Atlanta, Dallas or Milwaukee.

Because contrary to popular belief around here and also in Philadelphia, they are trying to do what you are supposed to do -- and that's try to win games and build a winning culture. Not only that, the Kings need to spend some $$ to get to the salary cap floor.

Not all these rookies and young players are ready to play full time. They need to be developed. And part of that development is "earning" playing time and learning how things are done at this level. Look how WCS started to play once he sat the bench early last season thus realized he wasn't going be handed PT simply because he was a lottery pick. He had to produce every time he got 5 or 10 minutes of floor time, even in garbage time, to earn another look. Because of that, his level of play and consistency really improved.
Did I miss something and Philadelphia's rebuild failed?

Because they eschewed all the pretty buzzwords and the nice and neat rebuild. They're also in a way better situation than every single rebuilding team out there. And I HATE the way the went about it.

Fixed it for you :)
In all seriousness, if I'm running a team I'm trying to get Ben on a low deal as well. Even if there's just a small chance he figures it, its still worth the gamble. Maybe a change of scenery does help. Would like to see him in Atlanta, Dallas or Milwaukee.
I dunno. I get the feeling Ben will be like many other ex kings that do crap here and take off when they go to another team.

I actually do like Jonathon Simmons. I think he's one of those guys you can take a chance on but I wouldn't give him a 4 year contract if you have to overpay. You're kind of rolling the dice on him. Is he ready to break out or did he just have a good playoff run? His shot is inconsistent from year to year and he's bounced from the independent and D league into the NBA so his ceiling probably isn't all that high. Even with all that, I still like the way he plays and I really like his defensive effort.

Sam Amick reporting that Kings met with Iggy and Patrick Peterson. I think PP would be a really good PF option for Kings. Good veteran, stretch 4 and will not take too many minutes away from Skal but will still make him earn it.

Sam Amick reporting that Kings met with Iggy and Patrick Peterson. I think PP would be a really good PF option for Kings. Good veteran, stretch 4 and will not take too many minutes away from Skal but will still make him earn it.
Sounds like you are describing another player... one who was on our roster last year.

Why don't we just resign Tolliver?