Former Kings Coach Mike Malone - "I knew I wasn't going to have an owner come down and fire me..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sacramental

Chris Mannix: When you were let go in Sacramento, did you want to get back in right away or did you feel like, "Maybe I could take a break for a little while, do something else and then get back in down the line?" Mike Malone: Well, I did take a break. I got fired so early, in December, so I was able to coach my daughter's fourth grade team. I was able to coach my other daughter's baseball team, so I took a break.
After the way things ended in Sacto — the irreconcilable differences between coach and front office, the dark cloud the firing hung over the head of Cousins, the sideline and front-officeshuffling, all the internal rancor and losing that followed — you can understand why Malone might have a bit of resentment toward Vivek and company. He let some of that bile spill out with a smirk in responding to Mannix's follow-up question:

Chris Mannix: What was your daughter's team's record?
Mike Malone: I'll tell you what, we led the fourth grade league in points per game allowed. So we were a full-string team. The only rule we had on defense was that if your girl didn't have the ball, you had to be in the paint. So our paint was tight, and we shrunk the floor, and we had a very good season. But, I kid you not, that was probably the most fun I've ever had coaching. And maybe it's because I knew I wasn't going to have an owner coming down, firing me because we weren't playing a certain style of play that he wanted.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/...daughter-s-team-than-the-kings-154632740.html

So here we are again trying to figure out how much of this was PDA and how much was the meddling owner. The fact that he called out the meddling owner and not the former GM he supposedly hates speaks volumes.

S

Sacramental

This makes it so excruciatingly difficult to like Mister Vivek Ranadive. Again, this is the same man who was key in keeping our team in Sacramento. I will eventually learn to forgive as winning cures all, but right now, this is hard to swallow.

Well, Malone couldn't come out and say anything bad about PDA at this point since they are both working for the same team. That would make an awkward situation truly awkward.

But his quote does suggest that he holds Vivek accountable no matter who else might have been involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.