Football (soccer) discussion (split)

After the game, fans in Sarajevo waited for the players to return (1:30 a.m) to celebrate with them. This was live on TV.

Skip to 18:15 for beginning of celebrations (team bus).

21:32 for celebrations in the streets.

Looks like my beloved Timbers and the new Sacramento Republic FC are officially in cahoots. This makes me the happiest Sacramentan living in Portland ever.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...d-timbers-and-usl-pros-sacramento-republic-fc

The timetable that our group continues to have of being in the MLS in the next 5 years I think is a tad delusional (Warren Smith indicated 2016 in that article). I believe Garber came out and said there will be around 4-5 new teams this decade, before Orlando officially came in. I know they are looking at another NYC team. Beckham is trying to get something going in Miami. Meanwhile we just put together our minor league team when we should have started this process much earlier, and I don't know how attractive of a financial market we are. Not to mention the league wants to see definitive stadium plans as well. It would just seem to me like we are looking at a 10-15 year timetable rather than anything in the immediate future. I'll give credit though to the group behind our MLS push, they seem aggressive, I just think they have the mindset that anyone who wants an MLS will get one instead of understanding that getting the MLS is now a privilege given the explosion of popularity soccer will see in this country

I think they are setting themselves up nicely to make a push at Chivas when that move becomes inevitable. Expansion any time soon is unrealistic.

A soccer thread? Man, I didn't know this one existed! As a Dutchman I have to love football and Ajax has been my club since I was born. Last week we beat Barcelona in the Champions League 2-1, did anybody see that game? Ajax played beautiful football, Barcelona-esqe. Barca played without Messi, Valdes, Alba, Alves and Sanchez, but still hadsome worldclass players in Neymar, Xavi, Iniesta and Piqué on the pitch. Ajax plays in Milan for the last groupgame, if they manage to beat them, we'll be a runner-up in a poule with Barcelona, Milan and Celtic. How awesome would that be?

We had Ajax in for a friendly a few years back. Nothing but respect for your club. Wish the Timbers would go on a little Euro tour someday and give me an excuse to spend more money loving my team.

Sheesh, but if we get out of the group we can win the whole thing right? lol.

Sucks being in the same group with my second favorite squad as well. Oh well. Hopefully we can at least knock Ghana out of contention instead of the other way around.

We're done, lol.. Ghana shouldn't be the easiest team of the group, they are the clear best team in Africa. This draw probably secured Klinsmann's job for another cycle though, as little will hold him accountable for not advancing

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
F***! Seriously. Group of death.

At the least we'll have to beat Ghana and draw Portugal to move on, or vice versa, or flat out beat both.

I don't have a comfortability with this team as of now.. What is going on with Donovan/Dempsey? will they be past the point of starting for the nats come this summer (I don't watch/follow the MLS)? Are we still running Beasley and Evans out as the sides of our back line? Is Zusi going to be in form? Altidore is bad at Sunderland and I haven't liked some of the games he has played lately. My favorite kid of the team, Johannsson, may not have a defined role on the team by that time.. Way too many question mark now as opposed to during the middle of the Hex when we were at full steam

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Jozy just scored a great goal against Chelsea on Wed.

Evans has no place in this squad. Cameron/Chandler or Cherundolo will be our RB. Beasley worries me, I'd move Fabian to LB. Landon has been good. Clint hasn't since coming to Seattle but likely is going on loan to the EPL in Jan.

As much as it thrilled me as a Timbers supporter to see Clint fall on his face in S**ttle he better catch fire in the EPL and get it together. I don't see things getting better for him in MLS next year as the team is going to be losing key players to fit in their 3 DP contracts but I can see MLS making some new rules or something to make sure he shines.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I know many footy fans don't want to acknowledge this, but it's a down cycle for us in terms of talent. Our top WC performers are past their primes all though they'll help, those being guys like Donovan, Dempsey, Jones and Chero, and our younger prospects are still a few years from their primes, guys like Mix, Johannson, Besler, and Fabian. Bradley will be vital to our success but Jozy is in a bad club situation. Our other strikers are damn young. I think our wing play is horrible and I have little confidence in a guy like Zusi at the WC level against Germany or Portugal, even Ghana. Our backline is a considerable worry as I have little confidence in an all-MLS, Gonzo/Besler pairing at this level as well.

Next two cycles imo will be better. We're stuck now with the old guard kind of being on their last legs and the new guard still being a few years away. But imagine guys like Brooks, Fabian, Jozy, Boyd, Agudelo, Mix, Johannson, Shea, Nagbe(yes pdxkingsfan, he'll be a NTer next cycle) among a few others come 2018. We might not have a Landon level player at that point, but across the board we'll have more talent and technical ability than we've ever had. Next generation has some serious talent, just needs time and this summer is too soon.

Still think we can beat Ghana and draw Portugal, then we see what 4 points gets us. Could also see us losing all three.

That whole citizenship issue has been holding Nags back. I am sure when that gets resolved he will get call ups. Doesn't thrill me as I am club>country in this regard, but he may also be ready for a higher level of league competition after another year or two.

I think Chivas USA was really Sacramento's best bet and Garber and that call was about MLS buying out Chivas Guadalajara's stake in the club and looking to keep it in LA. ugh. Nobody cares about a second LA team and without the stupid (failed) Chivas brand it is just going to be the Clippers of MLS.

Not breaking news or anything but I have not seen to much news of this around here. Looks like Soccer is going to be a big part of Sacramento's future with 2 stadiums being build in the area the first a smaller 8,000 seat stadium at the Cal Expo site http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/14/5911811/new-8000-seat-soccer-stadium-at.html and the other a projected 100M stadium in Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento) in which the city eyes a MLS team.http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/12/5254710/elk-grove-eyes-100-million-stadium.html

Not breaking news or anything but I have not seen to much news of this around here. Looks like Soccer is going to be a big part of Sacramento's future with 2 stadiums being build in the area the first a smaller 8,000 seat stadium at the Cal Expo site http://www.sacbee.com/2013/11/14/5911811/new-8000-seat-soccer-stadium-at.html and the other a projected 100M stadium in Elk Grove (just south of Sacramento) in which the city eyes a MLS team.http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/12/5254710/elk-grove-eyes-100-million-stadium.html
What's up with this line from the article about the Elk Grove soccer stadium?

Local soccer fans see it as a welcome addition in a region that has only one major league sports franchise, which is threatening to leave.

"We would definitely love having a Major League Soccer team here in Elk Grove," said Casey Tiner, manager of the longtime Elk Grove store Soccer City. "We only have the Kings right now, and they're having their issues. We want another pro team to root for, to get excited about and for kids to look up to."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/12/5254710/elk-grove-eyes-100-million-stadium.html#storylink=cpy

What's up with this line from the article about the Elk Grove soccer stadium?
Most likely just misinformed. When the battle for the Kings was in it's highest points I was traveling a lot but would always wear a Kings hat and people would stop me and say things like "I heard the Kings will be playing in X city next year" and I would always have to inform them HERE WE STAY!

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Would you care to elaborate?
Downtown stadiums have proven much more successful in MLS than stadiums in the burbs.

But Sac isn't going to have two MLS teams in the future anyway. Sac Rep already has the upper leg by being in the USL and working on plans for a downtown stadium while in a far superior location. Elk Grove basically doesn't even fit into the MLS picture going forward and doesn't have what MLS wants. Only way Elk Grove gets an MLS team at some point is if Sac Rep fails. Even then I don't think MLS is that desperate.

Have to remember, the other new expansion teams are NYCFC(owned by Manchester City/very wealthy) with stadium in the Bronx, Orlando(downtown stadium being built, strong soccer presence and links to the EPL and already to big name players(KaKa) and Miami(owned by Beckham) with plans of a downtown, water front stadium which sits 25-30K.

Downtown stadiums have proven much more successful in MLS than stadiums in the burbs.

But Sac isn't going to have two MLS teams in the future anyway. Sac Rep already has the upper leg by being in the USL and working on plans for a downtown stadium while in a far superior location. Elk Grove basically doesn't even fit into the MLS picture going forward and doesn't have what MLS wants. Only way Elk Grove gets an MLS team at some point is if Sac Rep fails. Even then I don't think MLS is that desperate.

Have to remember, the other new expansion teams are NYCFC(owned by Manchester City/very wealthy) with stadium in the Bronx, Orlando(downtown stadium being built, strong soccer presence and links to the EPL and already to big name players(KaKa) and Miami(owned by Beckham) with plans of a downtown, water front stadium which sits 25-30K.
Sums it up.

Downtown stadiums don't guarantee success but they go a long way to capturing the market MLS is building on. They want Portland and Seattle in every city. Part of that is having a supporter culture that sees the team as an extension of the city. Having the team in the burbs outside the heart of the city doesn't fit that motif. And I imagine the 20-35 year old that is priced out of the other sporting leagues and makes up a huge chunk of the season ticket base isn't going to go to games in Elk Grove.

The Republic are doing it right, so thankfully the EG thing should be a non-starter, especially if the article pre-dates the Republic's official conception.

I am excited to see how well the Republic FC do in this market (personally, I think they can do really well)...I don't know how many games I will be attending, but I can almost guarantee that I will be there for at least one of their home games...

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Sums it up.

Downtown stadiums don't guarantee success but they go a long way to capturing the market MLS is building on. They want Portland and Seattle in every city. Part of that is having a supporter culture that sees the team as an extension of the city. Having the team in the burbs outside the heart of the city doesn't fit that motif. And I imagine the 20-35 year old that is priced out of the other sporting leagues and makes up a huge chunk of the season ticket base isn't going to go to games in Elk Grove.

The Republic are doing it right, so thankfully the EG thing should be a non-starter, especially if the article pre-dates the Republic's official conception.
Sac Rep can be another Portland/SKC I think.

Elk Grove stands no chance and I don't think MLS thinks it does either. Really, Elk Grove is screwing itself by trying to compete with Rep. They both surely aren't getting into MLS. Should combine forces IMO. Combining forces could be the difference between a SJ part II or the next Portland/SKC.

I think SKC is a good comparison, although I'm fairly certain that the Republic has been modelling based on Portland. I wish Sacramento had done this 5 or more years ago because to be honest I'm not a huge fan of the Florida expansion.