Football (soccer) discussion (split)

I'm not familiar with Preki all I know is he's a big name. I wonder if a guy like that would agree to coach this team if he wasn't under the impression the MLS could be achieved in a few years?

Also, wasn't Elk Grove trying to lure the MLS awhile back with the help of Fabien Nunez? Hopefully that movement will fold into this

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Preki hasn't been able to get work in MLS in a few years, though he was rumored as a possibility for the Timbers I don't think he was anywhere near a top contender. He has a bit or a reputation as a difficult personality. I think that is the only reason he could have been sacked at two dismal clubs where he won more than he lost. USL and MLS are pretty different entities but if Preki sticks it out he'd surely be promoted when the time came since he clearly knows MLS from both a playing and managerial standpoint. I think it is about as good a hire as can be made.

As for MLS, if Sacramento is able to make a huge splash they'd be up against San Antonio, Orlando (or another Florida destination), and a new team that is starting up in OKC. One positive for Sacramento is that they could become huge rivals with San Jose. Outside of the two LA and the incoming second NY team, this would be the shortest travel derby in the league. Though I feel for you guys if that happens - the San Jose Ultras group are far and away the worst supporters group in the US. A bunch of wannabe hooligans that run around smashing cars, stealing scarves and just trying to show how bad *** they are essentially undoing everything the other supporters groups in the US are trying to do.

Preki hasn't been able to get work in MLS in a few years, though he was rumored as a possibility for the Timbers I don't think he was anywhere near a top contender. He has a bit or a reputation as a difficult personality. I think that is the only reason he could have been sacked at two dismal clubs where he won more than he lost. USL and MLS are pretty different entities but if Preki sticks it out he'd surely be promoted when the time came since he clearly knows MLS from both a playing and managerial standpoint. I think it is about as good a hire as can be made.

As for MLS, if Sacramento is able to make a huge splash they'd be up against San Antonio, Orlando (or another Florida destination), and a new team that is starting up in OKC. One positive for Sacramento is that they could become huge rivals with San Jose. Outside of the two LA and the incoming second NY team, this would be the shortest travel derby in the league. Though I feel for you guys if that happens - the San Jose Ultras group are far and away the worst supporters group in the US. A bunch of wannabe hooligans that run around smashing cars, stealing scarves and just trying to show how bad *** they are essentially undoing everything the other supporters groups in the US are trying to do.
Yeah, its going to take a few years. The MLS probably wants to expand to markets who have a proven record over years (?) of supporting pro soccer, in addition to a plan for a soccer specific-venue like Orlando is trying to prepare (we might have enough on our plate with the new basketball facility).. This city is slow to react to everything, I don't know why we're just now joining the mix. I think we have some strong people behind this organization, and I do think we will see the MLS but it might not happen overnight

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Well it's real. Now accepting applications for favorite US men's soccer player. Title revocable at any time.

I will be looking forward to this friendly against Bosnia. I am high as a kite on this kid from Iceland, and hopefully he'll be able to play. The kid has the tools to be an option up top for a long time

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Imagine it is going to be hard for him to get minutes even in a friendly. Jozy, Boyd and EJ are locks to get time up top. Maybe if it is a rout, imagine all 8 midfielders will see the pitch at some point.

Imagine it is going to be hard for him to get minutes even in a friendly. Jozy, Boyd and EJ are locks to get time up top. Maybe if it is a rout, imagine all 8 midfielders will see the pitch at some point.
I like him better than Boyd and our other young forward prospects sans Jozy, but you may be right that it could take him awhile to earn minutes on the team and supplant those who are in the rotation. I will be interested to see how Jurgen handles him

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Seems he could have just left EJ off the roster, his WC slot is secure I'd think? I remember when JK first came on board that Boyd was getting lots of Klinsy love and then he fell off the face of the earth, that's why I'm guessing Boyd is going to get another chance to shine. I guess you never really know what he is thinking - honestly I do think that is a good thing (look at how much Bradley has stepped up now that he is out of the coaches son spotlight). But he did have guys on the Gold Cup roster that never saw the pitch.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Well, that was fun. Aron looked great in his US debut. Brooks looked pretty solid. Mikey was great and once again showed he's indispensable. But Jozy, wow, what can you really say? To take it to the 13th ranked team in world, in Sarajevo, without either Dempsey or Landon and continue our now longest win streak in the entire world at 12 straight is damn impressive.

Anyone who thinks soccer is boring should watch the second half of this game. On ESPN3 if interested. Sports Center showing some love.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Not really sold on Brooks. Definitely a gutsy second half performance by US. Jozy was ridiculous, he earned EJ's goal as well. Let's hope he is featured at Sunderland and doesn't get buried.

Lost to Costa Rica last night in a negative display and face a Mexico team that needs to win to keep their hopes alive.

Where to start? Putting Fabian in the midfield has created 2 places I am not comfortable with in our line of defense (RB and LB). There has been a lot of movement in the lineup. Zusi's form hasn't regained to where it was a few months ago. Jones needs to step up his game. Does Howard need to be replaced by Guzan, and will Jurgen go there now?

A lot of injuries and or players out for the Mexico game, and this is the first game we have played at home in a long while that I have a bad feeling about the outcome because of all that's going on and Mexico fired up with a new coach.

Don't feel good about tomorrow's Mexico game.. the state of our team coupled with the urgency that will be with Mexico and wanting to impress their new coach and I fear a loss tomorrow at home.

I'm Bosnian, so of course I love footie. :p And we are on a very good path to qualifying for our first ever FIFA World Cup, all we need to do is defeat minnows Liechtenstein and Lithuania and we are in.

Some minnows have a big bite. :) First ever? It must be very exciting.
Yeah, but we have already beaten these minnows 8-1 and 3-0 respectively, so hopefully the return legs don't end up too differently.

Yeah, we've never made it to a World Cup or euro, but we were so close on many other occasions. Hopefully, this is our time to break through. :) We play attractive footie, you should check us out at brazil if you can. ;)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Yeah, but we have already beaten these minnows 8-1 and 3-0 respectively, so hopefully the return legs don't end up too differently.

Yeah, we've never made it to a World Cup or euro, but we were so close on many other occasions. Hopefully, this is our time to break through. :) We play attractive footie, you should check us out at brazil if you can. ;)
I got a good look win we whooped you in August. jk ;) we were pretty crap until you made your second half subs and you guys came out of the gate strong. Hope to see you guys in another pod in Brazil.

I got a good look win we whooped you in August. jk ;) we were pretty crap until you made your second half subs and you guys came out of the gate strong. Hope to see you guys in another pod in Brazil.
Yeah, we were also missing two defensive starters in the first place as well. lol Hope to see in you in Brazil as well.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
What do you think Bosnian Diehard, who's better, Michael Bradley or Pjanic? You watch Roma at all?

@pdxKingsFan Omar's your number one? For me it's Besler, hands down. I'd also put Goodson ahead of Omar as even though Omar has more upside and can do better when having a good game, he's also incredibly inconsistent and makes extremely costly mistakes.

What do you think Bosnian Diehard, who's better, Michael Bradley or Pjanic? You watch Roma at all?

@pdxKingsFan Omar's your number one? For me it's Besler, hands down. I'd also put Goodson ahead of Omar as even though Omar has more upside and can do better when having a good game, he's also incredibly inconsistent and makes extremely costly mistakes.
I'd say Pjanic is better, but it's close and bradley is an excellent player.

I do watch Roma, btw. If you saw Roma's last game, pjanic had some extremely nice passes and one ended up an assisst. he should be moving to a better club soon.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
What I meant really is that I'm pretty sure Omar is the only one who is going to start every game he is available because like you say he has the most upside and should be a fixture for the two WC cycles that follow 2014. They're all prone to mistakes. Hopefully Bradley stays healthy the rest of the run. He has shockingly turned into my favorite USMNT player. Granted I'm a club before country guy in these matters so all Sounders players are out of the running and LD can go make love to himself after what he said about the Kings in 2011. But I was never a Bradley fan when he played under his dad and I don't know if it is a function of hitting his best years or just a wake up call that the US spot was not guaranteed and that he was struggling in Europe but he really turned it up. I haven't seen him much at Roma but I watched more than a few Chievo games when he was there and he pretty much kept the team afloat.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Feel pretty bad for Panama, we ripped their hearts out and then kicked them in the nuts for good measure. What a finish. Wear your Graham Zusi kits while visiting Mexico.

Feel pretty bad for Panama, we ripped their hearts out and then kicked them in the nuts for good measure. What a finish. Wear your Graham Zusi kits while visiting Mexico.
Saw some hilarious video from Mexican TV. They were showing the two games side-by-side, it was in second half extra time and Mexico looked to be out of the Wold Cup. Then came the US goal that tied the game, and the announcers went absolutely bonkers. Saying 'God bless America' and practically crying. I agree that it was a tough way to go out for Panama.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
As much as I feel for Panama the simple matter is they did play Mexico a few days before and even a tie would have pushed them through.\

My club team lost our regional supporter trophy much the same way by a wonder strike from Camillo vs. Vancouver. They would go on to crush Seattle which gave us the honor of winning the cup FOR Vancouver four nights later. I can't find the footage on youtube, but there were 3 goals scored in that match inside of 90 seconds or so, and it belongs on the "is soccer boring" thread. It was pretty amazing going from a lead to a draw to a lead and right back to level again inside of 2 minutes against your secondary rival. I gotta say Vancouver is a wonderful place to visit (I think I have said it many times, but it can't be said enough).

Bosni qualified for the first time in our history as an independnt nation! It's the reason I haven't posted on these boards for a while, too focused on soccer.

Some examples of what this means to Bosnians: