Football (soccer) discussion (split)

We have an American!!!!!!

Sunderland AFC have announced the signing of Jozy Altidore :D So happy because he is a decent player

All you Kings fans now have no excuse but to become fully fledged Mackems (sunderland fans) :)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Good news for Jozy I think.

Not sure I could root for Sunderland as long as Paolo is running the show.

Picture says a thousand words.
thought it would be.

ok firstly that is a roman salute (somthing facists stole as there own) it is a common salute in rome (having been there)

secondly he has denide being facist,he had said he is against facist morals and ideology and has already signed 5 black players this summer and sold one of our only white ones

thirdly if for a minuet we belived he was far right you do know the italian political spectrum is shifted left compared to england (extreamly left from usa)

so in reality a facist in italy is a slightly to the right of the conservative party in England... so a middle of the road rebublican

finally you do know what kind of club sunderland are? socalist. we are built on top of a mine fgs!! if the true sunderland fans can support him then surly you can?!?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Was my understanding that more than a few Sunderland fans have boycotted the team in protest.

Regardless, I hope Jozy does well.

US - Guatemala game went from snoozefest to a blast in a hurry. I hope to see more of the players featured in the second half on Tuesday night here in Portland. Especially Holden. I was very sad that Wondo got what could have been his goal.

Landon sure was a cocky prick during the post match interview even going as far to suggest he told JK how to run the offense that opened the floodgates and saying scoring a brace in a 6-0 rout vs Guatemala was no big deal - hilarious given how enthusiastic he was about taking the PK for his 50th goal. As fun as it can be to dislike him in league play, I will be glad when he gets back on the A team.

Timbers are next in the MLS allocation order so these Gold Cup games are kind of like scouting for who the next returning player might be. I'm hoping the crowd in Portland Tuesday night might sway someone good. Maybe Mix will reconsider. I'd like a look at Bedoya too.

none protested at all...David Hopper (a former mining union leader in thatchers years) went on the news to try and make it seem like we were all boycotting to boost his own ego and get himself in the news... He was widely criticized by the fans as he tarnished the reputation of the club

In-fact the crowd rose by 9000 to sell out the stadium for PDC's first two home games.

thought it would be.

ok firstly that is a roman salute (somthing facists stole as there own) it is a common salute in rome (having been there)

secondly he has denide being facist,he had said he is against facist morals and ideology and has already signed 5 black players this summer and sold one of our only white ones

thirdly if for a minuet we belived he was far right you do know the italian political spectrum is shifted left compared to england (extreamly left from usa)

so in reality a facist in italy is a slightly to the right of the conservative party in England... so a middle of the road rebublican

finally you do know what kind of club sunderland are? socalist. we are built on top of a mine fgs!! if the true sunderland fans can support him then surly you can?!?
Well i dont want to go into detail, but the so called "roman salute" is actually forbidden by law in italy, as a sign of facism. According to historicans the salute was never common in the roman empire and was most likely developed in the 19. century. It was used by Mussolini to support his cult of personality, which he used to solidify his reign. Mussolini is an ideologic precursor of Adolf Hitler and can be called a facist as well.
If someone uses the "roman salute" in contemporary italy, he basically refers to the days of Mussolini and his nationalistic regime. Furthermore Di Canio stated, that he is a facist in an interview with the german magazine 4-4-2 in 2006. And given the racism that has been shown by plenty of italian football (i hate to call it scoccer) fans, it is very likely, that he was a member of the facist scene, which is very present in the italien arenas and is nowhere near a slightly to the right conservative party in England.
Maybe he revised his political attitude. But as a german, who is raised, like the most of my fellow countrymen, in the opinion, that facism is no opinion but a crime, i can't understand, that this guy is hired by any given football club. It is a shame.

Hamburg... Are you a St. Pauli supporter?
How is it possible, that a guy from Portland knows a football club of the Zweite Bundesliga in Germany. :D
But i admit i support St. Pauli, but i was raised as a fan of the HSV (Hamburger Sport Verein), the only club, that is a founding member of the german Bundesliga, that still plays in the Erste Bundesliga.
So i somewhat support both local football clubs over here, unless they match up versus each other.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Our supporters in Portland somewhat unofficially aspire to be the St. Pauli of America. Also at least one player played for both clubs, Ian Joy was our captain our last year in 2nd division football and is a legend to many.

Going to a St. Pauli match in Hamburg is on my bucket list. Preferably the Timbers would book a European club tour rather than play meaningless mid season friendlies. I'd be all over it.

Our supporters in Portland somewhat unofficially aspire to be the St. Pauli of America. Also at least one player played for both clubs, Ian Joy was our captain our last year in 2nd division football and is a legend to many.

Going to a St. Pauli match in Hamburg is on my bucket list. Preferably the Timbers would book a European club tour rather than play meaningless mid season friendlies. I'd be all over it.
Yeah i remember Joy. He was one of my favourite players as St. Pauli managed to rise to the Zweite Bundesliga again in 2006.
Hamburg is definately worth a look, even outside the Millerntor (St. Pauli Arena). Beautiful city and the Reeperbahn attracts many tourists. Be aware of the nice looking ladies standing around on the sidewalk always smiling at everybody though and dont take your girl into the Herbertstraße. ;)

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Great time at the Gold Cup last night. Even though I felt it was like a 3 out of 10 on the intensity scale it seems Portland made a good impression. I've had Belize pretty high up on my travel plans for a while so I felt kind of guilty we beat them so badly. Except not really :) I did clap and cheer for their player who scored their goal.

Did anyone attend a football game yesterday? How was it? I am a fan of English football and I really wanted to see it but unfortunately I am very sick with a sore throat, just had no energy :(

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I'll be seeing Norwich on Wednesday vs. the Timbers, I'm curious just to know what kind of squad they are taking on the tour.

Did they announce the new Sacramento team name yesterday?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I get it, I do. But the fans can do it all themselves. I have little doubt of that. The Kings have shown that the Sacramento sports community is amazing. There is plenty of time to organize and prepare.

The video also felt a little bit too RSL Believe. Which I guess is cool, if that's what you're aiming at. I was really delighted to see my HS soccer club get some play in it. I will bash the supporters in Seattle quite a bit for being a little too front-office driven but if you go out and look at how Seattle and Portland came out for the US team (including putting our differences aside for two evenings) and compare to the Gold Cup match at RSL with a dead crowd you see what the difference is when you get really creative fans and supporters running the show vs. a piped in chant (even if it is catchy and awesome) with the words up on the jumbotrons.

I'm really not bashing it, I'm excited. I would like to come down for the season opener timer permitting. Timbers playing Sac in a USOC game would be awesome. I hope you get MLS and I can make 2 trips a year home just to see my club play Sac's club. I am that excited about it. I just hope that the support as it moves forward comes from the supporters and isn't just a marketing gimmick.

I like it, the chant and the emblem. I haven't been following the situation super closely but the owners of this club state a 3-5 year possible timetable for taking it to the MLS. Seems they got somewhat of a big name (Preki) to show their intent. I just hope we are able to draw enough fans to show this is a good market.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
14k for a Norwich friendly vs. 2nd division mexican squad is a great start.

I bet Timbers draw 16k for the Norwich friendly on Wednesday. Ticket is included with season ticket holder package. I know I am likely going to have to eat two of them or sell them for less than $10.

Republic FC crest is good. I think I will sign up for info if for no other reason than to get a ticket for the opening game. One thing I didn't like (again sorry) was that the Front Office seems to be creating supporters groups from the mailing list survey info. They need to just make a very large general admission area and let it all happen organically.

Preki had a mixed record in MLS but I think it is pretty notable that he coached two perennial losers (Chivas and Toronto) to .500 or better records. There were rumors that he was considered for the Portland job at one point. He is a good hire. I don't know anything about the technical director.

I get it, I do. But the fans can do it all themselves. I have little doubt of that. The Kings have shown that the Sacramento sports community is amazing. There is plenty of time to organize and prepare.

The video also felt a little bit too RSL Believe. Which I guess is cool, if that's what you're aiming at. I was really delighted to see my HS soccer club get some play in it. I will bash the supporters in Seattle quite a bit for being a little too front-office driven but if you go out and look at how Seattle and Portland came out for the US team (including putting our differences aside for two evenings) and compare to the Gold Cup match at RSL with a dead crowd you see what the difference is when you get really creative fans and supporters running the show vs. a piped in chant (even if it is catchy and awesome) with the words up on the jumbotrons.

I'm really not bashing it, I'm excited. I would like to come down for the season opener timer permitting. Timbers playing Sac in a USOC game would be awesome. I hope you get MLS and I can make 2 trips a year home just to see my club play Sac's club. I am that excited about it. I just hope that the support as it moves forward comes from the supporters and isn't just a marketing gimmick.
I see but do sacramentans love football so much to create a new culture for a non-MLS franchise just by themselves? I do not know. I am not a typical local "client" for FC Republic. I was born and raised in Europe and moved to the US in my late twenties and (of course) I love everything about this game. I played it in high school and college always as a starter. I do not play anymore but I watch a lot of games on TV and I do not know what team won the MLS title or cup last year but I know what teams were relegated from The Coca Cola League Division One in 2010. I think people like me need some kind of "help" from their marketing department :). I am just not naturally excited about this level of football and I hope most local people are football crazy enough to do all of that - create flags, songs, fan clubs etc. Will it happen in Sacramento? Again, I really hope so but most people I know are either not interested in the sport or just watch the Premier League or UEFA cups.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
People are doing it in San Antonio, Orlando and other locations. I think the most impressive story is what is going on with Detroit City FC (4th or 5th tier football). Sacramentans have to be better than SA and Orlando. The support for the Rivercats is unprecedented in minor league ball.

The real question is how long will it take to pay off? How big will MLS expand without some form of promotion and relegation. I actually think it could get to 24-30 teams with an East/West format, balanced schedules within each coast and then a super league playoff. Of course the US Open Cup, CCL and other mid-season tournaments could meet the need for interleague play outside an end of season champions playoff. Not sure if Garber sees it that way though.