Favorite guy likely to go undrafted?

Since we have two positions which need at least solid backups (PG, C) and one which needs that much or more (PF), and we have no second round pick this year (once again, we lost it as part of the Keon Clark giveaway), I'm thinking that we should be looking at guys who might go undrafted this year.

Last year my favorite was Justin. I'm not happy that he's nervous at the charity stripe (his % was acceptable in college), and I'm especially not happy that he's getting no PT. But, other than that, I still think the guy has potential, is easily worth the peanuts he costs us, and I'm glad to have him around.

This year, we did nothing whatsoever towards rebuilding, so we're in exactly the same position again -- late pick, no second round picks, little to spend. We are likely to miss out on the several exciting bigs in the first round, and I can't see GP picking a tepid big like Aaron Gray (who is expected to go in the 20s) to fill that void. I'm hoping that GP will get a quality PG like Acie Law or maybe Dominic James with our pick, instead of some undersized combo guard or generic 6'7" dude.

If this transpires as I expect, we will still be screaming for a big the day after the draft. I don't see any centers expected to go late in the 2nd round who I'd want (Mirza Begic, ewww!), but I do think there might be a PF or two left that has some potential. A guy who I am hoping will go undrafted this year is Stephane Lasme, of the UMass Minutemen. First, the bad part: 6'8", 220 lbs., wingspan which is decent but not phenomenal. The good part: quite athletic, great jumper/dunker, very dangerous in the low post. Has averaged 13.3 points, 9.5 rebounds and 5.0 blocks this year (second best blocker in college ball). Shoots 62% at both FGs and FTs, giving him an excellent 1.7 points per shot. Has had 4 triple-doubles this year (pts+reb+blocks). I could see him possibly making it to the Udonis Haslem level, which is as much as one can realistically hope for in an undrafted guy. I think it would be worth $400K to see what he could do with some of KT's minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p69Je7Xp4Xc

Anyone else have a favorite guy who might fall through the cracks on draft night?

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Aaron Gray will go in the lotto. I predice the draft order to look a little different come draft day.

I'd be way cool with Watkins if he goes undrafted! This guy is a serious leaper. He was leaping right over the top of Roy Hibbert when they matched up a few weeks ago.