Evaluating the Cousins Trade.

Remember when New Orleans tried to trade Chris Paul to the Lakers and the league voided it primarily because it would have destroyed the franchise they wanted to survive, we could use some of that level-headedness now and it wouldn't even be bad karma considering the Pelicans are the ones that started this crap. I know wishful thinking on my part.
Sorry, not going to happen.

That voided trade only happened because the League owned the New Orleans franchise at the time of that trade, which would have ruined their team value, which they were trying to sell.

The NBA is not going to save stupid owners from themselves, just for the sake of it. o_O

Sorry, not going to happen.

That voided trade only happened because the League owned the New Orleans franchise at the time of that trade, which would have ruined their team value, which they were trying to sell.

The NBA is not going to save stupid owners from themselves, just for the sake of it. o_O
Of course, like I said wishful thinking

So James Ham mentioned on twitter that Joerger talked about Ben and Afflalo playing the 4...
With the Pelicans lacking in shooting guards, why did the Kings end up with all the guards, and gave up their only 3? Is that really the best combination they could come up with?

Honestly when you're tanking it doesn't really matter, but you figure they would at least pretend to care about roster construction.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So James Ham mentioned on twitter that Joerger talked about Ben and Afflalo playing the 4...
With the Pelicans lacking in shooting guards, why did the Kings end up with all the guards, and gave up their only 3? Is that really the best combination they could come up with?

Honestly when you're tanking it doesn't really matter, but you figure they would at least pretend to care about roster construction.
MCBEN AT THE FOUR?!

Tank hard, y'all. I can't wait to see a 5 guard lineup by the end of the season. Poitionless basketball indeed.

Honestly Tyreke, Temple and Malachi can play the three in todays game. Its the 4 that is a barren wasteland unless Skal does something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Ben playing the 4? Is that a typo? Please tell me that's a typo...:confused: :eek: o_O

Excuse me while I go puke up my dinner

Jason Thompson is available, and without Cousins he's sure to be a superstar.
I thought Thompson was overseas (?) Anyway, the rookies are sure to get lots of minutes now....as sort of a plus. Just do not want Pelicans to totally tank, due to their protections. Ideally Peliccans draft 4th. Hvala Vlade!

I thought Thompson was overseas (?) Anyway, the rookies are sure to get lots of minutes now....as sort of a plus. Just do not want Pelicans to totally tank, due to their protections. Ideally Peliccans draft 4th. Hvala Vlade!

Anybody knows what happens if New Orleans gets a top 3 pick this year and keep their pick? Does the pick they owe us roll over to the next year? Or we just get screwed?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You know, I love college basketball and all, but the next step is to start handing out scholarships and putting together a faculty and a curriculum and it's going to be WAAAAY more trouble than it's worth.

Here's my question... It's been reported that the Lakers offered deangelo Russell rather than Brandon Ingram. It's also been reported they offered the first that they knew they could get for Lou Williams.

So if the offer was Russell and the rockets first does anyone like that deal better than Hield and the pelicans protected first that we got?

I like Russell's age and upside but love hields gym rat mentality. Tough call... Assuming DeMarcus was going to be dealt for one of those two deals regardless of course.

Here's my question... It's been reported that the Lakers offered deangelo Russell rather than Brandon Ingram. It's also been reported they offered the first that they knew they could get for Lou Williams.

So if the offer was Russell and the rockets first does anyone like that deal better than Hield and the pelicans protected first that we got?

I like Russell's age and upside but love hields gym rat mentality. Tough call... Assuming DeMarcus was going to be dealt for one of those two deals regardless of course.
No, not enough to make Cousins a Laker.

That's blasphemy.

I don't make a trade with the Lakers unless we get Brando Ingram, D'Angelo Russell is a slacker. He doesn't seem to care so much about winning as he does about showboating.

Houston's pick would be #24-30, so I would much rather have the Pelicans #12-16 pick in this draft.

I still think that if Hield can play up to his potential, he could be a 20ppg Shooting Guard.

I expect more in exchange for one of the best players in the league. The Twolves got Wiggins in exchamge for Love. We have a superior player than the one that minnesota traded and received a lesser player than Minnesota did. We get hosed, as usual.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't make a trade with the Lakers unless we get Brando Ingram, D'Angelo Russell is a slacker. He doesn't seem to care so much about winning as he does about showboating.

Houston's pick would be #24-30, so I would much rather have the Pelicans #12-16 pick in this draft.
And unless my timeline is wrong the Lakers didnt have that Houston pick until after the Boogie trade. I've even heard rumors that missing out in Cousins played a part in the Lakers FO shakeup.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I expect more in exchange for one of the best players in the league. The Twolves got Wiggins in exchamge for Love. We have a superior player than the one that minnesota traded and received a lesser player than Minnesota did. We get hosed, as usual.
I always thought Boston was the team. Ainge has always been about accumulating assets and dealing them for difference makers.

Brooklyn's pick this year, Jaylen Brown, Amir Johnson (for salary purposes) and another future pick or young player (Rozier or Zizec) I would have been okay with.

But I think the Celtics success this season and Horford fitting in well put them in a position of not wanting to gamble on Cousins.

I just looked up the Bobcats roster their first year as an expansion team. I'd likely take that group over what the Kings have. Throw in this year's pick swap and owing an unprotected 1st to Philly in 2019 and it's a no brainer to me.

This is not about winning. DO NOT believe them when they say they want to win. They want to save money. They are not on our side. They are not trying to build a winner. This franchise can't hold a candle to ones like the Spurs. I had defended Vlade, calling him our Only Hope™. No more.
This is not about saving money. This is how the Kings want to allocate money they are obligated to spend. Teams are obligated to spend 90% of the cap IIRC. If they don't spend the amount under threshold is spread among players under contract. With the PDE, starting at 35% of cap and raises from 7.5% to 8.0% over 5 years the rate of raises could outpace increase to the cap further restraining flexibility. While Boogie's contract would take 35% of the cap to start it could grow 40% leaving the team at even greater disadvantage to pay teammates and acquire other players. For example toward the end of deal for Boogie his salary would have been over $50M. Say cap in that year grows to 125M. That's 40% of the cap. This realization scared off the team among other variables. Ironically the rule designed to keep hometown players had opposite effect, not that I am excusing this GM for gross mismanagement.

5) After reading up on some of what Vlade said today, it is apparent that something must have happened behind the scenes, or that Cousins had done something repeatedly that would cause Vlade to no longer tolerate his behavior. Who knows what it was....
As I've given it more reflection I come to the same conclusion. You can almost see it in watching the Vlade interview...something in his tone and facial expression when he talks about the decision. There was something that justified getting rid of him quickly, and we may find out what it was in the days and weeks ahead.

As I've given it more reflection I come to the same conclusion. You can almost see it in watching the Vlade interview...something in his tone and facial expression when he talks about the decision. There was something that justified getting rid of him quickly, and we may find out what it was in the days and weeks ahead.
It's what I don't get either. Vlade has repeatedly come out publicly supporting Cousins on many fronts and really has not given any indication that he was actively trying to trade Cousins. His statement of "I came to New Orleans to trade Cousins" struck me as almost personal. The reports are all over the place (Vlade wanted to trade him and convinced Vivek or Vivek meddling per usual) so the truth is muddled. But something definitely broke Vlade's view of Cousins. It could have been the technicals, the swearing at the reporter and the GSW fan, and the general antics on the court that did it, but really, it ain't nothing that Cousins hasn't done before. Perhaps there is more, but I think if the Kings want to save any dignity left, they should just shut their mouth from now on.

Vlade likes Pop, and if he wants the Kings to emulate the Spurs, then a player like Cousins, no matter how talented, doesn't fit. Really, Pop might be the only guy and the Spurs the only franchise that could keep Cousins in check, but we never had a prayer. We haven't done much right in the last 10 years so why would anyone listen to the Kings? Regardless, it's still a terrible trade and it will definitely set us back, but something ticked Vlade off to the max and he was having none of it (a crazy thought would be the agent taunting Vlade ... ergo "what are you gonna do, trade him?" type of thing).

I doubt it will come out if there is even anything there. And if it was his boss being a sociopath, it definitely won't. And even if it did (regarding Cousins), would you believe it after all the spin that has been put out there?

MarkJonesESPNVerified account‏@MarkJonesESPN 3h3 hours ago
More
Western conf. coach tells me "Cousins can be tough to play with,hard on teammates,but no more than Chris Paul,Lebron,other elite players"

Great Great tweet here, can you imagine CP3 or Lebron with this roster in this market? If anything Cuz has been quite tame based on the crap talent he has had around him. CP3 or Bron would never put up with this as much as Cuz had.

You know -
I simply don't buy this "Vlade wanted Demarcus gone, and had to strike while Vivek was hot on Hield" angle.

First off, anything that is widely reported, is likely to be a plant story by the front office.

They have proven one thing since Vivek took over : everything they say is a lie, and covering up the truth of what's really going on in that ivory tower.

So if the repeated story is that Vivek had to be convinced by his calculating, conniving GM to pull the trigger on an unpopular move.... welll...... if that doesn't smack you of smelling like the cover story about the late-night trip by PDA and Mullin to convince amiable, good-hearted Vivek to fire his overachieving coach Mike Malone, then well I guess you aren't reading between the lines enough.

Secondly, I just don't buy that Vlade wanted Demarcus gone.
We know enough of Vlade and Demarcus base personalities and observed behavior to conclude that they got along well. They are both light-hearted, good-natured big guys off the court. I believe they both don;t suffer bullcrap well, and can smell it quickly.
I simply don't believe that Vlade remotely made this decision, especially after it completely contradicts (and indicts) his previous fire-sale of Stauskas/Landry/JT's contracts.

Not many people would be stupid enough to make a hasty, universally-panned trade that simultaneously makes your previous trade a tragic, utter ream-job.
Who's reputation is publicly shredded by Vlade stepping on the grenade and agreeing to this cover story?
Vlade's.

Who's feelings were hurt by Demarcus saying "F the Warriors?"
Vivek's.

Who already sabotaged the Kings the last time Demarcus looked to be going to the playoffs?

The only common denominator is Vivek.

Last edited:
MarkJonesESPNVerified account‏@MarkJonesESPN 3h3 hours ago
More
Western conf. coach tells me "Cousins can be tough to play with,hard on teammates,but no more than Chris Paul,Lebron,other elite players"

Great Great tweet here, can you imagine CP3 or Lebron with this roster in this market? If anything Cuz has been quite tame based on the crap talent he has had around him. CP3 or Bron would never put up with this as much as Cuz had.
I Assume that's Malone talking since he's coached all 3 and has good relationships with all 3

what a cry baby attitude around here. Why actively go to post on KINGSFANS dot com in the "Gameday thread" just to tell internet strangers that you won't be watching? There has to be something better to do. The guy that was "really good at getting us wins" never got us past 35. Im a HUGE Demarcus fan. But I'm only a HUGE Demarcus fan because the Kings drafted him and I got to know him through the Kings. Now he's not with us anymore and life goes on and there will be a game played by players who should still matter. Demarcusfans.net hasn't been made yet but when it is I'm sure Kingsfans.com will get a lot smaller