Evaluating the Cousins Trade.

The Kings feared that New Orleans could've traded for Jahlil Okafor, or his agents would have scuttled it again, as far as not wanting to go to the deadline

I think it's starting to set in just how crapty the return value is they got back. Talking about listening to only godfather deals and they settle for this crap. I get the rationale behind a Cuz deal IF you get back a quality rebuilding package...but I'd much rather have held onto to him than panic and get fleeced. So disheartening .

I think the F.O. decision was rushed, instead of waiting until the summer, was the fact that the Kings may have made the playoffs or would have come damn close to the playoffs and therefore would have lost their own 2017 draft pick this year.

I believe that Vlade had already decided that Boogie and his antics were not worth the $42 mil a year contract.

So, instead of making a push for the playoffs and hoping for a better trade in the off season, he decided it was better to get a 1st rounder from N.O. and keep our own pick in true "tank" fashion and get a young player they really liked (Hield).

So, in their minds, I think Vlade and Vivek saw this as a guaranteed 2 lottery picks (or N.O. about a 15 or 16 pick) versus waiting until the summer and still only getting one pick from the other team and also losing our own lottery pick.

I think the best we could have hoped for was 2 1st rounders and a nice young player from Team B in the summer, which is essentially what Vlade got in this trade.

Therefore, they saw this trade as an opportunity to get 2 first round picks (ours and N.O.) this year vs the chance of still only getting one pick (from team B in the summer) and then also losing their own pick.

In their minds, a sure 2 1st round picks this year and a player they liked was better than taking the risk of trying to get 2 1st round picks (from team B in the summer) and not getting a player they liked as much as Hield.

In essence, the Kings essentially got the same deal now, that we would have hoped for in the summer, which was 2 1st round picks and a nice young player for Boogie.

The part that makes Vlade and Vivek look so bad was that New Orleans got the steal of the century.

NOT THAT I WANT BOOGIE ON THE LAKERS

But the Lakers just fired Mitch and Jim Buss, and replaced them with Magic Johnson. This is relevant to the Cousins trade in that it may be fallout for Mitch not swindling Vlade and reveal that if Divac had waited until the Deadline, he probably got the big haul he wanted from the Lakers and dealing with a much less experienced Magic Johnson. I'm glad Boogie isn't a Laker, as I could not root for him. However, it has to be factored in to how terribly this trade was handled.

The Bee's coverage today n the four articles on the trade does a comprehensive and balanced evaluation of the facts surrounding the trade. Let's move on to see if other trades occur now and what team we field in the coming days.
Move on?

Well if this trade happened at the end of the deadline it would be a whole lot easier to swallow.

The fact we've got a few days left still until the deadline is part of the problem with accepting this offer.

One thing that is not getting anywhere near the attention it should is that we just burnt the most powerful player agent in the NBA. Do you think he will ever forget? Do you think that superstars of future years will not sign with him? Make no mistake that this whole decision and yet another **** up by schizophrenic incompetency will haunt this franchise for years to come, if not decades.
Forget about superstars, the main problem will be players in the draft being steered to not workout for the Kings or just openly not wanting to play for the team.

Move on?

Well if this trade happened at the end of the deadline it would be a whole lot easier to swallow.

The fact we've got a few days left still until the deadline is part of the problem with accepting this offer.

Don't forget the fact that we are finding out that Vlade was dumb enough to be surprised that agents will try to block deals that don't favor their clients. Knowing that, how can you believe that Vlade really got the best deal we could for Cousins?

NOT THAT I WANT BOOGIE ON THE LAKERS

But the Lakers just fired Mitch and Jim Buss, and replaced them with Magic Johnson. This is relevant to the Cousins trade in that it may be fallout for Mitch not swindling Vlade and reveal that if Divac had waited until the Deadline, he probably got the big haul he wanted from the Lakers and dealing with a much less experienced Magic Johnson. I'm glad Boogie isn't a Laker, as I could not root for him. However, it has to be factored in to how terribly this trade was handled.
Amick is reporting that this does have to do with not acquiring Cousins. Vlade's trade was so bad that it's getting other GMs fired for not swindling him themselves.

I think the F.O. decision was rushed, instead of waiting until the summer, was the fact that the Kings may have made the playoffs or would have come damn close to the playoffs and therefore would have lost their own 2017 draft pick this year.

I believe that Vlade had already decided that Boogie and his antics were not worth the $42 mil a year contract.

So, instead of making a push for the playoffs and hoping for a better trade in the off season, he decided it was better to get a 1st rounder from N.O. and keep our own pick in true "tank" fashion and get a young player they really liked (Hield).

So, in their minds, I think Vlade and Vivek saw this as a guaranteed 2 lottery picks (or N.O. about a 15 or 16 pick) versus waiting until the summer and still only getting one pick from the other team and also losing our own lottery pick.

I think the best we could have hoped for was 2 1st rounders and a nice young player from Team B in the summer, which is essentially what Vlade got in this trade.

Therefore, they saw this trade as an opportunity to get 2 first round picks (ours and N.O.) this year vs the chance of still only getting one pick (from team B in the summer) and then also losing their own pick.

In their minds, a sure 2 1st round picks this year and a player they liked was better than taking the risk of trying to get 2 1st round picks (from team B in the summer) and not getting a player they liked as much as Hield.

In essence, the Kings essentially got the same deal now, that we would have hoped for in the summer, which was 2 1st round picks and a nice young player for Boogie.

The part that makes Vlade and Vivek look so bad was that New Orleans got the steal of the century.
If Vlade believed this, he was wrong. He did not have to trade Cousins for the Kings to keep their pick this year. He could have traded Collison and Koufous and Kings would have kept their pick. The Kings are #11 in the draft right now and you cannot convince me that trading Collison and Koufos wouldn't at least put the team in top 8. Sadly, the Kings wouldn't even need to make a trade to keep their pick. Just give Cousins more rest days and less minutes.

Kings aren't even guaranteed a pick from NO this year, so obviously Vlade doesn't covet it as much as you would like. If their pick falls within the top 3, Kings get nothing this year.

The Bee's coverage today n the four articles on the trade does a comprehensive and balanced evaluation of the facts surrounding the trade. Let's move on to see if other
The Bee's coverage today n the four articles on the trade does a comprehensive and balanced evaluation of the facts surrounding the trade. Let's move on to see if other trades occur now and what team we field in the coming days.
trades occur now and what team we field in the coming days.
Balanced? Why? Because Vlade is quoted how he loves DMC while at the same time trashing his character again? Or because Aileene wrote her usual hit piece?

Don't forget the fact that we are finding out that Vlade was dumb enough to be surprised that agents will try to block deals that don't favor their clients. Knowing that, how can you believe that Vlade really got the best deal we could for Cousins?
Yeah I think considering our assets, the best choice would be to max him out if this is the best you could get, which I still don't believe at all because we are not even close to the deadline yet.

2019 draft would of been the time to move him if things weren't working out if you ask me. Our pick debt to Philly that year.

He'd of had 3 years left on his contract at that point, we'd know what we had in all our prospects by then too.

Him with still 3 years on the deal would be very valuable. He'd still of been only 29 years old.

Just doesn't make any sense to me, we'd know if we could get it to work here or have maximum value at that point, clarity in our prospects, Joerger established.

Or you can take Hield and a 14-17ish pick.

Just disgusted right now.

I think his ceiling is a slightly more athletic JJ Reddick, he will be a fantastic shooter in this league, but is only competent at off the dribble stuff and attacking the basket. The move was A) Remove Cousins from franchise
B) Essentially get three picks in the top 35 of this years draft plus a guy you project to be at least a solid starter in Hield

The big question is how toxic was Cousins not just on the court(becauee that is well accounted for) but in the things we as fans dont see? If this is the best return you were offered.

I have no clue, but I guess we will start to find out over the coming years.

I suspect now that Cousins is traded, we will start hearing all the behind the scenes stories of Demarcus's disruptive behavior. Esp from Grant Napear.

I suspect now that Cousins is traded, we will start hearing all the behind the scenes stories of Demarcus's disruptive behavior. Esp from Grant Napear.
Grant hits twitter every day on a mission to set fire to Boogie's reputation. When people point out the terrible management and ownership he just says to find a new team to cheer for. The voice of the Kings, everybody.

If Vlade believed this, he was wrong. He did not have to trade Cousins for the Kings to keep their pick this year. He could have traded Collison and Koufous and Kings would have kept their pick. The Kings are #11 in the draft right now and you cannot convince me that trading Collison and Koufos wouldn't at least put the team in top 8. Sadly, the Kings wouldn't even need to make a trade to keep their pick. Just give Cousins more rest days and less minutes.

Kings aren't even guaranteed a pick from NO this year, so obviously Vlade doesn't covet it as much as you would like. If their pick falls within the top 3, Kings get nothing this year.
Here is the thing, I think Vlade was afraid that Vivek was going to change his mind about allowing him to trade Boogie.

If you wait until the summer, after a playoff run and being swept by the Warriors, Vivek would not had allowed Vlade to trade Boogie.

Personally, I think that Vlade had decided that Boogie was too much of a headache to build a team around and especially at $42 mil a year and wanted to trade him ASAP, before Vivek changed his mind again.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Move on?

Even worse?

I'm sure there were probably decent deals for Koufos, Collison, etc, but now, given what we got in return for Cousins, we just set the bar at the table for negotiating with everyone else.

Chess, not checkers.

Im bummed that I won't be seeing the Kings in the playoffs with Cousins on the roster.With that said I'm definitely excited to watch our younger talent develop. I can wear my Tyreke jersey again and feel justified. Happy to have him back. I actually find this to be somewhat of a relief. Im no longer on the edge of my seat waiting to see if the team will start winning.

Remember when New Orleans tried to trade Chris Paul to the Lakers and the league voided it primarily because it would have destroyed the franchise they wanted to survive, we could use some of that level-headedness now and it wouldn't even be bad karma considering the Pelicans are the ones that started this crap. I know wishful thinking on my part.

The Kings feared that New Orleans could've traded for Jahlil Okafor, or his agents would have scuttled it again, as far as not wanting to go to the deadline
Yeah I think the agents were trying to sabotage any trades, thus leading Divac to hurry up and take New Orlean's offer.

How DARE this Kings FO care about a draft pick so much that they use it to justify trading the best big man in the NBA?!

All of a sudden, it's critical for them to have a draft pick?!

That didn't stop them from wasting this draft pick to trade away Omri the first time for J. J. f-ing Hickson.

It didn't worry them a bit when they traded away a draft pick and two draft swaps for the privilege of freeing up $12 million a year to pay other people who aren't here anymore.

This FO just doesn't get it :
You need draft picks when you are fighting to put a team together to make the playoffs.
After you are a playoff team, the NBA's attention turns your way and players start wanting to play there typically.

Is there any other playoff team that is hoping for the draft to land a star in their lap?

Why is this FO so addicted to the drafting process?
It's like their security blanket - they feel naked if they aren't going through the whole drafting of kids process (with their untold promise and limitless ceilings to stoke delusional fantasies).

The more I reflect on DMC being traded now for a prospect and picks, the more bummed I am... with DMC.
I hear "Vlade this" and "Vivek that", whatever! The villain here is DMC.

His inability to keep himself in check caused his value to the Kings and other teams to free fall. And let's not forget, this was a big-time contract year for DMC; he could get the superstar-extension. But what did he do? Did he puff up his chest and play his best hoops while helping old ladies across the street in public? Did he continue to improve his game on and off the court? Nope. He doubled down and aggressive and immature behavior like the NYC nightclub incident, the bird to GSW, arguing with the refs more than John McEnroe, and the many, many 3-point attempts he settles for, and so on.

At this point, I am upset with no one but DMC. If he had held it together, a sophomore GM would not have needed to trade him. Do you think Vlade wanted to trade DMC? Of course not! It is a career stainer! Look at Geoff Petrie and the Webber trade; you cannot trade away a franchise player without half the fan base going bonkers.

Here is the thing, I think Vlade was afraid that Vivek was going to change his mind about allowing him to trade Boogie.

If you wait until the summer, after a playoff run and being swept by the Warriors, Vivek would not had allowed Vlade to trade Boogie.

Personally, I think that Vlade had decided that Boogie was too much of a headache to build a team around and especially at $42 mil a year and wanted to trade him ASAP, before Vivek changed his mind again.

If you really think about it, Vlade personally decided last year after that Boogie vs Karl thing that he doesn't want Cousins long term. That is why he drafter Papa with a relatively high pick considering we had 3 centers already. He was laying the groundwork for it and just waiting for the right moment when Vivek gets convinced.

His continual public support for Cousins was only because Vivek is not allowing him to trade Boogie.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The more I reflect on DMC being traded now for a prospect and picks, the more bummed I am... with DMC.
I hear "Vlade this" and "Vivek that", whatever! The villain here is DMC.

His inability to keep himself in check caused his value to the Kings and other teams to free fall. And let's not forget, this was a big-time contract year for DMC; he could get the superstar-extension. But what did he do? Did he puff up his chest and play his best hoops while helping old ladies across the street in public? Did he continue to improve his game on and off the court? Nope. He doubled down and aggressive and immature behavior like the NYC nightclub incident, the bird to GSW, arguing with the refs more than John McEnroe, and the many, many 3-point attempts he settles for, and so on.

At this point, I am upset with no one but DMC. If he had held it together, a sophomore GM would not have needed to trade him. Do you think Vlade wanted to trade DMC? Of course not! It is a career stainer! Look at Geoff Petrie and the Webber trade; you cannot trade away a franchise player without half the fan base going bonkers.
You are justifying the unjustifiable in an attempt to feel good about a crappy person in your life you feel you are stuck with. Its unsound.

BTW guys, a viable theory of this disaster is actually this:

The crapty nature of this trade, and the "better offer" a few days before that fell through? This is what happens when you force-trade a guy who fundamentally does not want to go and is on a short term contract. Vlade tried to trade him, and in an effort to help carry out Boogie's wishes Cousins' agents told opposing teams that there was no way Boogie was going to resign with them if they traded for him. Hence crashing the market. It even sounds like Vlade Divac was going to send the Sacramento Kings franchise center...to the L.A. Lakers. Loyal guy that Vlade is. To Magic maybe.

Anyway, Boogie was trying desperately to stay in Sac, Vlade was trying desperately to trade him, and so finally he found maybe the only team where he could trade Boogie where they would think he would resign to play next to A.D. And he used Vivek's latest delusion, this one about Buddy Hield, to get Vivek on board. And so there you have it, Vlade forcing a terrible deal on two parties, Boogie and Vivek, who did not want it really.

My sincerest disappointment remains in myself for not taking routes to become a billionaire myself. As an owner my next hire would be a man with a pistol carrying a blindfold, and he'd be taking people out back all week.