Evaluating the Cousins Trade.

Discussion in 'NBA' started by kingdivac, Feb 20, 2017.

1. White_Chocolate

White_Chocolate Active Member

Vivek is not even the majority owner. I honestly don't know why he is just not bought out. God dammit this is bad.
  2. Bosnian Diehard

Bosnian Diehard Well-Known Member

Vlade is an amateur and I feel like he really wanted this trade more than Vivek. "I had a better offer two days ago." Really dude?!?!
    White_Chocolate likes this.
  3. Heuge

Heuge Well-Known Member

What does Dave Joerger think?
    CelticsFan likes this.
  4. kingdivac

kingdivac New Member

But how to toss an owner out?
  5. White_Chocolate

White_Chocolate Active Member

He is not the majority owner so he can be bought out.
  6. Kingsfan23

Kingsfan23 Well-Known Member

What if he doesn't want to be?

How to get him out?
  7. Mr. S£im Citrus

Mr. S£im Citrus That's right, I said it! Staff Member Contributor

The Kings already drafted their own Iverson; I think they traded him for cash considerations. But, no worries: the next Larry Hughes is right over the horizon.
    Elise10, Čarolija, Amit149 and 3 others like this.
  8. kingdivac

kingdivac New Member

? I thought he was...
  9. The_Jamal

The_Jamal Well-Known Member

For months, Kings execs, from basketball to the business side, were in lockstep with the reality that rebooting the franchise without Cousins was the only long-term solution. Ranadive, the embattled owner, was all that stood in the way. Ranadive stepped aside on Sunday, clearing the way for the Kings to send Cousins and Omri Casspi to the Pelicans for Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and 2017 first- and second-round picks. In dealing a top-10 talent like Cousins for a solid scoring rookie and a pair of picks, the message was unmistakable: Cousins is good, but we’re better off without him 11 hours ago– via Yahoo! Sports

The one time we freaking want Vivek to meddle, he steps aside. Very telling if this report is true.
    Tetsujin likes this.
  10. fansinceday1

fansinceday1 Well-Known Member

This is so bad. We have a GM and MAYBE an owner who panicked when a "better offer" was offered and then pulled and took a BS offer for fear that the offers would get worse the closer the deadline got. Wow. What is going on down at Golden 1?

I just have a pit in my stomach right now. What the hell is there to look forward to with these 2 dip sticks in charge?
  11. Bricklayer

Bricklayer Don't Make Me Use The Bat Staff Member Contributor

You will never know, until of course they pin the inability to win with the tattered remnants of the roster on yet another good coach. Until then I can imagine the only move will be to keep his head down preach loyalty to his guys and "you gotta compete with who you have", and just in general, to duck and wonder how big a mess he got himself into.
  12. The Hammer

The Hammer Well-Known Member

Buddy Hield is the next Stephan Curry. That's all you need to know.
  13. 206Fan

206Fan Well-Known Member

Zach Lowe's podcast today with Brian Windhorst: http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=18725359
    Listen around the 16min mark. Wow. Cousins was ****ing poopooty to Nik Stauskas
    Wow. Lowe said that Cousins basically ruined Stauskas. He said that he would constantly berate him, and EVEN tried to fight him on the plane to China. You guys remember when there was a story out there months and months ago about a rookie crying?

Here's this tweet
    From November, Zach Lowe's opinion about Brad Stevens and Cousins:
    Here's a Boston Globe article: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/c...cus-cousins/7Cgggokz7CPKgfjN2CakWM/story.html
    It says that the Celtics weren't interested in Cousins. Keep in mind, this wouldn't be a Kings leak, it would be a Celtics leak. Some pieces to it:
  14. Hoovtrain

Hoovtrain Well-Known Member

IMG_0736.JPG
  15. kingdivac

kingdivac New Member

They may not be done trading.....its like on the used car sales lot, when you've already thrown down for the car you supposedly wanted, and get talked into even more on extras and the warranty. Jeez, Vlade is incompetent as an executive.
  16. Mike

Mike Active Member

This team's ceiling with Cousins was the 8th seed. Unless we got lucky in the draft and found someone that could quickly become an all star, or somehow put together a package for an all star, or somehow persuade a free agency all star to join us, then this team was going nowhere. I'm a big Cousins fan, but this team's ceiling was maybe .500 and the 8th seed at best. AT BEST. After this season Cousins had one year left. What was Vlade going to do, extend Cousins and continue to remain one of those awkward borderline play off but nowhere near a contender teams?

I suppose that appeals to some people if it meant keeping Cousins, but we were never going to compete for a championship unless we found a running mate for Cousins, and sadly I don't think that was ever going to happen. Cousins was never going to get a ring with us. The time came to move on and Vlade made the right decision to move on. Maybe we don't get better from this. Maybe Vlade does a poor job rebuilding post-Cousins and we end up needing another rebuild a few years from now under another general manager. If that happens, well, so be it. But keeping Cousins was not going to lead anywhere, no matter how much we try to look into the "what if" scenarios of getting Cousins that running mate.

As for the deal, perhaps we could have got a better one. But the thing to bear in mind is that if Vlade plays hardball and the other teams sit back and don't panic and give up more than they should, then Vlade is going to be left with Cousins on his hands post trade deadline. We can all see that this team is no more than an eighth seed team this year, and to be honest, I think the Nuggets would have been a better bet to make the play offs than we would have been with Cousins. Next year this team was not going to magically become a contender unless we managed to acquire a star through free agency or a trade. Get real, we aren't getting a star in free agency, and we don't have the assets to get one in a trade. That means we are likely to be in a similar position to this season, and that's working on the basis we can stay ahead of the young ascending teams in the west which is no guarantee. Unfortunately, Vlade had to make a move before the trade deadline because if he waited for the summer there is no guarantee he would get any better a deal then than he would now. Especially since Cousins would be entering into a contract year. Those type of deals don't tend to end up getting teams a boatload of draft picks or young talent. Generally you get a couple of picks and a some fringe talent. In this deal we got a couple of talented players and a solid veteran, maybe they can be part of the next team post-Cousins. We also got a couple of draft picks, maybe we get lucky.

In the end, Vlade was in a tough position. The team was not trending upwards to contender status with Cousins, so he had to make a trade. Any trade was always going to look one sided to the other team that was getting Cousins because they were getting an all star center and we would be getting fringe talent and picks. For me, I think Vlade did the right thing trading Cousins. Hopefully this trade works out for us. If it doesn't, we'll end up rebuilding again in a few seasons time with a new GM - which is the same result of what would have been had we kept Cousins and remained a non-play off team, since he would have been unhappy and demanded a trade away, at which point we would have got fringe talent and picks. Thankfully the Cousins saga is over and we can all move on. It's a shame because Cousins was a damn good player and one of my favorite Kings. That said, I am somewhat glad it is all over and we can now start speculating about what our next era is going to look like.
    White_Chocolate likes this.
  17. Section 101

Section 101 Well-Known Member

Your missing the point. They don't have the money.
  18. KingsFanGER

KingsFanGER Well-Known Member

It's all about the culture change guys.
    Amit149 likes this.
  19. Peter_Gibbons

Peter_Gibbons Well-Known Member

He holds the most shares of any individual owner, but he doesn't own 51% or more. Anyone with the exact numbers, chime in.
  20. chief bromden

chief bromden Active Member

Vlade got a little crossed up with his pronouns in that press conference. Sometimes 'we,' sometimes 'I.'

If he did indeed have full control over this deal, it shows a lot about Vlade's inability to negotiate with tact and patience. Vlade, you still had 96 hours man. Sigh.
  21. kingdivac

kingdivac New Member

Who's the solid veteran?
    Amit149 and Tetsujin like this.
  22. Peter_Gibbons

The worse negotiators ever in Vlade & Vivek. They are the type that will buy a car at full retail because they believe it when the salesman told them that there is only a $200 profit per car for the dealership.

People will always bluff, we had 4 more days. That "better deal" that left would come back by tues/wed and probably with even sweeter terms if Vlade knew how to squeeze them and play this game. Just because someone says "this is my final offer" doesn't always mean it is. I guess Vlade assumed gee "I'm good at talking to the guys, I must be able to negotiate deals!".
  23. Peter_Gibbons

LOL! I think he meant Tyreke. But maybe he didn't know Reke had 3 or 4 knee surgeries within the last 1.5 yrs.
  24. kingdivac

kingdivac New Member

Doesn't holding the most shares make you majority owner regardless of simple-majority percentage? If this is how I understand it from another team structure that I know of (the Grizzlies), the total team ownership is highly leveraged. Something like the team is valued at $500 million dollars but Vivek owns 50 million dollars worth, and the next owner owns 25 million and so on.....
  25. KingsFanGER

KingsFanGER Well-Known Member

First of all it's Vlade responsibility, that the team couldn't get over maybe contending for the 8th (yes he didn't trade IT or Tyreke, but he had plenty of time to change our course). He decided to trade with Philly. He decided to sign Rondo and Bellinelli. He signed the FA's this year and he drafted our young guys. It's his doing and his blatant incompetence, that got us here. Not DMC's responsibility, who did his absolute best to win games. To allow Vlade to weasel out of his own mess with some lame excuses about culture would be beyond ridiculous. There has to be absolutely no faith in his decisions going forward by any sane Kings fan.
    I agree with some of what you wrote, but this won't change that it was Vlade calling the shots and it won't change, that we rebuild with Vlade as the GM. Vlade was in the position to trade the best big man in the league with more than 1 year left on his contract. He ended up with a package the Pelicans were willing to give for Okafor+Hield. There just is no excuse for such a bad trade.
    SO excuse me, but I won't just look forward to watching the young guys play. Kings fans should demand Vlade to be fired immediately or should boo the crap out of Vivek and him during the rest of the season.
    Heck the Magic look like a competent franchise next to us.
  26. Hoovtrain

Hoovtrain Well-Known Member

I think he got crossed up on quite a few things...like how to adequately negotiate
  27. kingdivac

kingdivac New Member

!!!
  28. Superman

Superman New Member

Hi Guys, long time...

Just wanted to say, the culture the Kings are going for is this: We'll quit on talented players before they have a chance to develop (Whiteside, Thomas; even Jimmer dropped 73 yesterday), and we'll show no loyalty to established players who publicly state they want to be Kings for life (Cousins). Not only that, we'll trash them as we push them out the door, and to really stick it to the fans, we'll acknowledge that we didn't even take the best offer for probably the best center in the league. We know this is the closest we've come to a playoff appearance in over a decade, so it's time to kill any hope that our fans might have. Plus, we have a protected pick that we need to, you know, protect, so we're going to tank the rest of this season and get rid of everyone else that can actually play before the deadline. And don't worry, once Cauley-Stein starts looking good, we'll get rid of him as well.

I haven't been around in years, but I had to say my piece on this. I don't know what the Kings are doing, but they won't be good again for a long time. At least they have a new arena though!

SMH
    Elise10, Amit149, Tetsujin and 5 others like this.
  29. SacTownKid

SacTownKid Well-Known Member

Here's my view on that. I don't think he did. If the Pelicans didn't get the OK on a Cuz deal I bet you they turned right to Philly and gave the same package up for Okafor.
  30. Mr. S£im Citrus

Mr. S£im Citrus That's right, I said it! Staff Member Contributor

Tetsujin and Superman like this.