ESPN SoS - Amazing how good we're doing given our tough schedule

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's a couple other interesting stats. Through four games the Kings are tied with Chicago for lowest opponent FG% at .401. The two teams above them are Golden State and Atlanta. Those three teams SOS rankings are 13th, 12th and 15th respectively.

The Kings are also second in the league in total rebounds behind New Orleans. But as a team the Kings have both the highest rebounding percentage (55%) and the highest rebounding differential (+9.0).

And through 4 games Rudy and Cousins are the fourth highest scoring duo in the league behind Curry/Thompson, James/Irving (only 2 games) and Griffin/Crawford. And not only is that the case even after Gay & DMC both had poor offensive outputs in Denver, but it is the case despite Cousins/Gay taking fewer shots and playing fewer MPG than any of those other duos.

And the Kings are winning despite having the fourth worst FG% as a team, fifth worst 3P%, fewest 3PM, 2nd fewest assists and third most turnovers. And while those numbers are troubling, the good news (at least to me) is that I think the Kings will clean up their turnovers and increase their assists as the season moves along. If they can also have guys hitting their open shots (especially their SGs hitting open threes) while maintaining their defense and rebounding then this team can be a surprise this season much like Phoenix was last season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like the tough start to the season to be honest...it's a good litmus test for the players to see if they are able to compete with some of the top dogs in the West. This will only skyrocket the confidence if they continue to beat these teams and/or hang around.

Gary

All-Star
The assists and fg% will be better. This is almost an entirely new offense they're running. Malone might be onto something here. Get the motion offense and some defense?

I don't know if we can keep this hot start but remember that we were almost .500 with Rudy through a number of his first games here.

it is a rough start to the season, and that strength of schedule is partly why i figured this team would not find the strides they're looking for. it wouldn't have been out of the realm of possibility for the kings to get clobbered in the opening stretch of 10, lose all confidence in themselves, and stumble their way through the remainder of the season. truthfully, and given the make-up of this roster heading into the season, i would have settled for a more organized offense and a team that gives effort every night on defense despite the losses...

but if these kings actually start to get it on the defensive end, and if the wins keep coming with a fair amount of regularity as a result, so much the better. there's pride on display here, and it starts with coach malone, demarcus cousins, and rudy gay. if that leadership trifecta continues to blossom, we should continue to see positive attitude shifts and good habits trickle down to the rest of the roster, as well. we've already seen darren collison assert himself as an additional leader in his short time with the team already, but his voice wouldn't hold as much weight if demarcus and rudy weren't also bought in as fiercely as they appear to be...

it's strange the way the wind blows, isn't it? if paul george doesn't suffer a catastrophic leg injury while playing for team USA, and if kevin durant doesn't get spooked out of participating as a result of that injury, then rudy gay likely isn't called up to team USA, and cousins and gay don't forge a tighter relationship as part of a winning culture, and aren't able to experience having an impact on that winning culture together. it's fair to say that it was a transformative experience for them both, and it's meant all the difference through these first few games. here's to hoping that some level of success can be sustained...

I like the tough start to the season to be honest...it's a good litmus test for the players to see if they are able to compete with some of the top dogs in the West. This will only skyrocket the confidence if they continue to beat these teams and/or hang around.
If we come out of this initial stretch with our head near the surface, the gate will be open for a strong push going forward. The opportunity will be there to surprise everyone, including ourselves

The ESPN SoS is bogus. Its basing the formula off of what each team has done THIS year. Its too early to tell with that kind of a measurement. Its easy to see that outside of the bottom 3-4 western conference teams every game against any other western team is going to be tough. 3 of the top 5 on that list are eastern conference teams. Boo this list!

Here's a couple other interesting stats. Through four games the Kings are tied with Chicago for lowest opponent FG% at .401. The two teams above them are Golden State and Atlanta. Those three teams SOS rankings are 13th, 12th and 15th respectively.

The Kings are also second in the league in total rebounds behind New Orleans. But as a team the Kings have both the highest rebounding percentage (55%) and the highest rebounding differential (+9.0).

And through 4 games Rudy and Cousins are the fourth highest scoring duo in the league behind Curry/Thompson, James/Irving (only 2 games) and Griffin/Crawford. And not only is that the case even after Gay & DMC both had poor offensive outputs in Denver, but it is the case despite Cousins/Gay taking fewer shots and playing fewer MPG than any of those other duos.

And the Kings are winning despite having the fourth worst FG% as a team, fifth worst 3P%, fewest 3PM, 2nd fewest assists and third most turnovers. And while those numbers are troubling, the good news (at least to me) is that I think the Kings will clean up their turnovers and increase their assists as the season moves along. If they can also have guys hitting their open shots (especially their SGs hitting open threes) while maintaining their defense and rebounding then this team can be a surprise this season much like Phoenix was last season.
I kind of see us regressing to the mean on both offense and defense. We aren't this bad offensively and we aren't this good defensively.

The rebounding though is something I think can and will stay legit. We actually got the dudes and past history of excellent rebounders on the team.

The ESPN SoS is bogus. Its basing the formula off of what each team has done THIS year. Its too early to tell with that kind of a measurement. Its easy to see that outside of the bottom 3-4 western conference teams every game against any other western team is going to be tough. 3 of the top 5 on that list are eastern conference teams. Boo this list!
You're right. It does seem totally off.
Here's a story that reports two seemingly better ways of analysis, that put us in 3rd & 4th toughest schedule respectively:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...h-of-schedule-can-determine-the-nba-champion/

And here's another one that puts us 5th and rising:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/ranking/strength-of-schedule-by-team

Last edited: