[ESPN Insider]Ron Artest to Houston?

Why in the world would you be worried about developing young talent? You're looking for the talent to get you over the Dallas/San Antonio/Phoenix hump to win it all...not about a #26 pick who might be good in 3 years. 3 more years and you guys are going to be old. Time is now I would think.
[FONT=&quot]Agreed. Artest would be a great addition if the Rockets met the Spurs next year in the playoffs. Artest can neutralize Flopinobili.[/FONT]

This win now stuff scares me a little. T-Mac has back problems. I love Yao to death, but the beatings he takes every night are bound to catch up with him. If we made a trade for Artest, who knows how long it will be before he goes awol. Like you said, I think this team has a 3 year window. I'm afraid that after that window we will have a bunch of washed up has beens and scrubs. The Rudy Gay trade alone could haunt the Rockets franchise for the next decade. So I do want some guys that have a chance to be good in three years so hopefully they can fill the holes when the current cast is gone.
Yep, it is a risk, but my goodness...isn't it worth it? Picture your team in the conference finals next year and you have....Morris Almond...in there in the 4th instead of Ron Artest. You guys have a great team and are almost there. These are the types of deals you make to contend now. Think we're happy that we have to pay Miller 12 million/year for the next 3 years and Bibby 13million for the next two? We are paying the price for keeping a contender together a few years ago. Even though it sucks now, it still was worth taking a shot.

Remember what Bonzi and Artest did to the Spurs just a year ago? Now add in the fact that you could have two more players better than either of them in TMAC and Yao and you really have a shot at bringing them down.

Last edited:
Yep, it is a risk, but my goodness...isn't it worth it? Picture your team in the conference finals next year and you have....Morris Almond...in there in the 4th instead of Ron Artest. You guys have a great team and are almost there. These are the types of deals you make to contend now. Think we're happy that we have to pay Miller 12 million/year for the next 3 years and Bibby 13million for the next two? We are paying the price for keeping a contender together a few years ago. Even though it sucks now, it still was worth taking a shot.

Remember what Bonzi and Artest did to the Spurs just a year ago? Now add in the fact that you could have two more players better than either of them in TMAC and Yao and you really have a shot at bringing them down.
You guys may have Miller and Bibby who are entering the tail end of their primes, but you have Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia and Quincy Douby. What young talents do we have after this trade? Luther Head? He's a nice spot up shooter, but he's undersized with no pg skills to speak of. That's it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You guys may have Miller and Bibby who are entering the tail end of their primes, but you have Kevin Martin, Francisco Garcia and Quincy Douby. What young talents do we have after this trade? Luther Head? He's a nice spot up shooter, but he's undersized with no pg skills to speak of. That's it.
You have to take your title shots while you have them. Its been a dozen years since you were close. If thise were a lottery pick or top young player that would be one thing. But title shot > #26 pick (although actually upon looking at the #26s of the last few years there is Farmar, Maxiel, Kevin Martin, and Dalmebert...along with the standard Ebi, N;Diayes, Voteego Cummings etc.).

Ron would scare me if I were a Houston fan, in PARTICULAR because Yao and Tracy are laid back. Is Ron going to respect them? He goes to Miami, he will respect Riley and Wade and Shaq, with their egos. But he might run roughshod over more quiet types. But what I would NOT be worried for a moment about is giving up a late first round pick over him. There is no player half so talented that will come that cheap. Hell, Shane Battier of all people cost you a #7. Now you're worried about a far more talented guy costing a #26?

I think w/ Bonzi, and Adelman there Artest would be fine. I don't see him giving them problems... For at least a year...

Wouldn't it be awesome if we also traded Bibby to Miami for Kapono, Williams, and the #20? w/ the #10, #20 pick and the #26 we can shore up PG, and PF. Plus we would just gan a ton of cap space w/in a year or two to sign players RIGHT whn the guys we draft this year are understanding the NBA game.

Again, i am all for this.
it could go either way though too. bibby could go to houston with artest going to miami

how about:
Sacramento Outgoing: Artest, Bibby
Sac Incoming: Williams, Wright (i might be pushing it), Sura, Spanoulis, Snyder, Head, picks #20 and #26

Miami Outgoing: Williams, Wright, pick #20
Miami Incoming: Bibby

Houston Outgoing: Sura, Spanoulis, Snyder, Head, pick #26
Houston Incoming: Artest

Bibby's and Artest's destinations can probably be switched, too

A

AriesMar27

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of artest to the lakers for kwame/farmar/#19...

i'd be down for a bad laker contract like vlad for thomas as well... the rockets dont have anything worth taking.... then bibby to miami...

having jwill and brown as expiring contracts sound better than artest to houston.... draft a big this year, then a pg next year....

You have to take your title shots while you have them. Its been a dozen years since you were close. If thise were a lottery pick or top young player that would be one thing. But title shot > #26 pick (although actually upon looking at the #26s of the last few years there is Farmar, Maxiel, Kevin Martin, and Dalmebert...along with the standard Ebi, N;Diayes, Voteego Cummings etc.).

Ron would scare me if I were a Houston fan, in PARTICULAR because Yao and Tracy are laid back. Is Ron going to respect them? He goes to Miami, he will respect Riley and Wade and Shaq, with their egos. But he might run roughshod over more quiet types. But what I would NOT be worried for a moment about is giving up a late first round pick over him. There is no player half so talented that will come that cheap. Hell, Shane Battier of all people cost you a #7. Now you're worried about a far more talented guy costing a #26?
It's not just about this trade. It's the win now mindset overall. The Battier trade you mentioned was a mistake in my opinion. Trading Boki Nachbar for David Wesley was a mistake. Trading 2 young talents and a first rounder for Ron Artest, who could flip out and attack a fan and be kicked out of the league at any moment, could be a mistake. These little mistakes add up. If we had kept Nachbar and not traded Rudy Gay and still had Luther and maybe the '03 and '04 picks that were traded away there waiting in the wings, I would be far less apprehensive about making this type of trade.

Just look at the Spurs, and I hate to use them as an example, believe me. They got to where they are now by making smart draft choices. Tony Parker was the 28th pick, Ginobili was the 57th pick for God's sake. Sure they've had their share of busts, but every once in a while your going to get that solid contributor or maybe even all-star like Parker and Ginobili.

Bricklayer

Just look at the Spurs, and I hate to use them as an example, believe me. They got to where they are now by making smart draft choices. Tony Parker was the 28th pick, Ginobili was the 57th pick for God's sake. Sure they've had their share of busts, but every once in a while your going to get that solid contributor or maybe even all-star like Parker and Ginobili.

You certianly cannot call drafting those guys "luck"...but it kinda is. You could have 50 teams on the brink of contention have those draft picks and only 1 would come out of it with 2/3 of their core. If you wait on your #26 pciks, the odds are very VERY good that by the time one chicken comes home to roost for you, TMac, and maybe Yao as well will be too old. And then you will have to start building around your #26, and by the time you get another hit that late in the draft he'll be too old too. You could go on like that for decades.

Ignoring that Nachbar isn't really very good, Ron Artest is not David Wesley. He's neither old nor infirm (physically). He's in the prime of his career. He's not "win now". He's just "win". He's a gamble because he't a tad insane, but if you decide that's an acceptable risk, there is none on the court. He's better than anything you are giving up. Will very likely be better than anything you are giving up in 2 years, 4 years, maybe even 6 years before he slows down.

You've got two major stars in their prime and a 50+ win team. What are you waiting for? Now is the time to make a run if you're going to do it. Next 3-4 years before TMac begins running out of gas. Enjoy the ride. Be plenty of time to develop a new generation of youth after the title runs are over and there's nothing better to do.

Bricklayer

You certianly cannot call drafting those guys "luck"...but it kinda is. You could have 50 teams on the brink of contention have draft picks at those positions and only 1 would come out of it with 2/3 of a championship core. If you wait on your #26 picks, the odds are very VERY good that by the time one chicken comes home to roost for you, TMac, and maybe Yao as well will be too old. And then you will have to start building around your #26, and by the time you get another hit that late in the draft he'll be too old too. You could go on like that for decades.

Ignoring that Nachbar isn't really very good, Ron Artest is not David Wesley. He's neither old nor infirm (physically). He's in the prime of his career. He's not "win now". He's just "win". He's a gamble because he't a tad insane, but if you decide that's an acceptable risk, there is none on the court. He's better than anything you are giving up. Will very likely be better than anything you are giving up in 2 years, 4 years, maybe even 6 years before he slows down.

You've got two major stars in their prime and a 50+ win team. What are you waiting for? Now is the time to make a run if you're going to do it. Next 3-4 years before TMac begins running out of gas. Enjoy the ride. Be plenty of time to develop a new generation of youth after the title runs are over and there's nothing better to do.

I understand what Houston's trying to do, and a TMac, Yao, Artest, Bonzi, Battier quintet just sounds like it could be all kinds of nasty...but I just remain dubious. Still no PF, still no PG.
Could they move T-Mac to point guard in a big guard, Golden State like lineup? They are in the same division as Dallas. And Yao >>>>>>>>Andres Biedrins. That would give most traditional lineup fits defnsively and offensively. Think of the guard rebounding :)

T-Mac (Rebounding PG)
Bonzi (Power Guard)
Battier (Bowen style stopper)
Artest (Crazy Banres like nut)(Also could play point forward)
Yao (Dominant Post Scorer and shot blocker)

Rick Adelman helps too :)

The Spurs were lucky enough to have one down year and they get the first pick in the draft who happens to be one of the best players to come out of any draft in the last 10 years. Ginobili and Parker are good players but without Duncan in the middle they wouldn't "Look" nearly as good as they do with him in the middle.

Could they move T-Mac to point guard in a big guard, Golden State like lineup? They are in the same division as Dallas. And Yao >>>>>>>>Andres Biedrins. That would give most traditional lineup fits defnsively and offensively. Think of the guard rebounding :)

T-Mac (Rebounding PG)
Bonzi (Power Guard)
Battier (Bowen style stopper)
Artest (Crazy Banres like nut)(Also could play point forward)
Yao (Dominant Post Scorer and shot blocker)

Rick Adelman helps too :)
Artest and McGrady simply will not work....period.

Artest thinks he is one of the top 5 players in the league and he will not defer to anyone. You think he is going to give the ball to McGrady at the end of the game and be happy about it?? No.

There are not enough basketballs to keep that team happy and Yao will end up with 5 shots a game.

the more i think about it the more i like the idea of artest to the lakers for kwame/farmar/#19...

i'd be down for a bad laker contract like vlad for thomas as well... the rockets dont have anything worth taking.... then bibby to miami...

having jwill and brown as expiring contracts sound better than artest to houston.... draft a big this year, then a pg next year....
Throw out kwame and put in Bynum and I'll do that deal.

I like this deal, but since we've heard about it, it probably won't happen.

Spanoulis sounds like a Petrie guy, Sura is expiring money, and Snyder is enough filler to get it done. The draft pick here is the key. By getting rid of Artest for a draft pick and a young PG, we've achieved the best possible exchange.