ESPN Insider....Miller #1 Center??

I think this is more on overall skills but it's good to see Brad get his props:

Friday, September 17, 2004
The art of selflessness

By Terry Brown
ESPN Insider

You won't find it in any boxscore or statistical analysis, but there is such a thing as the pass that leads to the pass that leads to the bucket.

It's right there next to screens and defensive switches, and central to our search for "real" basketball players as we enter our final day of compiling a team of NBA players that would win in June, as well as win in Athens.

"Complementary players are the key to any basketball team," said an NBA scout. "You have to have guys who are willing to sacrifice themselves and make that pass and follow through with their cut with only a hope that if they are open, they'll get the return pass. Most of the time they won't, but they keep the offense going time and time again."

[font=verdana, arial, geneva]It's a battle of A-game and egos when Kobe and T-Mac face off.[/font]Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant are more than willing to take the shot. They are applauded for sometimes making the pass. But put all three of them on the same team, and on any particular play, only one of them can take that shot, and only one of them can make that pass.

We could have started this whole list by breaking out the tape and watching what players do when they don't have the ball, and the camera isn't focused on them, and eliminated any of them that stood on the periphery constantly calling for the rock.

The difference between a good player and a great player may very well be what he does with his time when he doesn't have the ball in his hands.

"There is a right way to set a screen," said another NBA scout. "And it doesn't involve raising the opposite hand to call for the ball before the play even has a chance to develop."

But before we go any further, here are the centers for our team:

Brad Miller, C, Sacramento Kings

Court Sense7Locker room Chemistry7Coachability8Fundamentals8Work Ethic8Pluses: In the East, they talk about how big and strong he is. In the West, they talk about his soft hands and keen sense of passing. But does it really matter when you realize that everyone is talking about a player who was never drafted?
Minuses: Almost looks as if he could fall over on his side, even as he hits full stride.
Scout's take: "He could have been born 20 years ago, and he would have been just as good an NBA player as he is today."

Jamaal Magloire, C, New Orleans Hornets

Court Sense6Locker room Chemistry7Coachability8Fundamentals7Work Ethic9Pluses: In his second season in the NBA, he became a 50-percent shooter. In his third, he became a double-digit scorer. In his fourth, he became a double-digit rebounder. He begins his fifth in about a month.
Minuses: There are still gaps in his game that he could walk through without ducking at 6-foot-11.
Scout's take: "This kid started from scratch in the NBA and turned himself into an all-star without having to apologize to anyone along the way."

(Note: Magloire is Canadian by birth but has never played for the Canadian Senior Basketball Team, and therefore, is still eligible for our team ala Tim Duncan -- though his address may have to change.) That would make it an even 12 for our team of "real" players.

That's the one thing I was a little bitter about in the C-Webb interview... He made it pretty clear that he didn't think Brad was a hard worker

Brad paired up with Duncan on the front court in Athens would've been great. His jumper would've been useful the way opponents where playing Duncan.

the article is the third in a series where the topic is "Players who Play the RIGHT Way"... If you read the Forwards section they mentioned Mike Dunleavy and Shane Battier as 2 of the 5 forwards.. and you know they're definetly not top 5 :D

SacKings384 said:
That's the one thing I was a little bitter about in the C-Webb interview... He made it pretty clear that he didn't think Brad was a hard worker
I guess Webber might know a little bit more than most of us. So I think that he might not be a hard worker. But Webber also said that Miller gives everything when he is on the court as well.

Ryle said:
Brad Miller, C, Sacramento Kings

Court Sense7Locker room Chemistry7Coachability8Fundamentals8Work Ethic8Pluses: In the East, they talk about how big and strong he is. In the West, they talk about his soft hands and keen sense of passing. But does it really matter when you realize that everyone is talking about a player who was never drafted?
Minuses: Almost looks as if he could fall over on his side, even as he hits full stride.
Scout's take: "He could have been born 20 years ago, and he would have been just as good an NBA player as he is today."
Wayell..he was born like 28 years ago. Dunno if he would be better as a 20 yr old but thats probably not what he meant. I think I know where he was going with this...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think Webber views time in the weight room as woking hard. My understanding is that Miller practices hard and IS physical in his off time. Webber just does not see hinting and fishing as woking hard, but any one has lugged a .306 over mils of rough teraine all day long then hiked back to camp with nearly 100 lbs of kill knows hunting can be a work out. In addition it is not like Miller ahd ever reported in out of shape. Seems odd that a number one pick out of college would criticize a guy who scraped and clawed his way into the NBA for not working hard.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you're missing the point, monk...

The article isn't about the "stars." It's about the real players, the complementary players - the ones who do their jobs day in and day out.

It's right there next to screens and defensive switches, and central to our search for "real" basketball players as we enter our final day of compiling a team of NBA players that would win in June, as well as win in Athens.

"Complementary players are the key to any basketball team," said an NBA scout. "You have to have guys who are willing to sacrifice themselves and make that pass and follow through with their cut with only a hope that if they are open, they'll get the return pass. Most of the time they won't, but they keep the offense going time and time again."

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
HndsmCelt said:
I think Webber views time in the weight room as woking hard. My understanding is that Miller practices hard and IS physical in his off time. Webber just does not see hinting and fishing as woking hard, but any one has lugged a .306 over mils of rough teraine all day long then hiked back to camp with nearly 100 lbs of kill knows hunting can be a work out. In addition it is not like Miller ahd ever reported in out of shape. Seems odd that a number one pick out of college would criticize a guy who scraped and clawed his way into the NBA for not working hard.
And, once again, what Webber didn't say is being interpreted as what he really meant.

I cannot think of even one comment where Webber directly criticized Brad Miller for anything...

At the risk of making this into another Webber discussion, I'll simply voice my opinion that all too often people are simply reading way too much into comments Chris Webber has made or not made. If he was speaking from prepared text, then perhaps we could read more into what he chose to say or not to say. But when he's speaking in an interview, he is speaking off the top of his head. He's not that duplicitous, IMHO.

Everything said and done I think that all Webber wanted to say was that the Kings should put in an extra effort and be stronger at heart if they want to win the championship. Maybe the things he said might have allowed the people to interpret in different ways. I don't think that he wanted to really point out anybody specifically. He just wanted to set a different tune to the team.

opps, i got off the topic being discussed here, so talking about miller its really great to see him getting acknowledged for his effort. He sure looks like the player we can bank on for the years to come.

HndsmCelt said:
. Seems odd that a number one pick out of college would criticize a guy who scraped and clawed his way into the NBA for not working hard.
I wouldn't be too quick to criticize somebody becasue he was a #1 pick. Because its not easy to get there. The only thing you can say that he put in the effort at the right time. Miller on the other hand wasn't considered good enough in his earlier years might mean that he hadn't been able to prove himself worthy of NBA at that time which doesn't say much about his effort either.

Whatever the case still am pretty happy to see him in the KINGS uniform. :)

I don't think anyone would say that Webber isn't a hard worker himself. You look at his build and can tell that he puts in work. And you don't develop skills like he has through osmosis. He had to work to get where he was/is as well.

But it's like he said: you have to check Shaq four times a year and you don't pick up a weight? That's ... odd, if you ask me. Brad Miller doesn't look like someone who spends a lot of time in the weight room, if any. Of course he plays hard and hustles, and of course he's worked on and probably still works on his game - incessantly. But I don't think it odd to expect a center to try and put on a few pounds of muscle, especially after getting traded to the Western conference.

Absolutely agree, Supes. I know Brad likes his down time, but I am hoping he takes some of what Chris said a little to heart, and spends a little extra time in the weight room. It can only help him.

Kingsgurl said:
Absolutely agree, Supes. I know Brad likes his down time, but I am hoping he takes some of what Chris said a little to heart, and spends a little extra time in the weight room. It can only help him.
well least this center chews his tobacco instead of smoking it;) that helps the condition.. in a way :-\

It would be really great if Brad Miller could put on a couple of pounds of muscle. Hope that atleast someone takes Webber's remarks in the way they should take them. :(

He's a laker, his coolness has suffered irreparable damage in my book;) (as a person, he is still cool) We teased him about smoking while he was a King, he is certainly more than fair game now

I am not really happy abt Vlade going to LA of all the other clubs for higher money, especially since he has been overpaid if you see in output for the last couple of years. But in the end, it worked out better for the Kings. Ostertag suites our need much better than Vlade. And at the moment he is a better player as well.
So best luck to Vlade in LA. He can go and smoke all the tobacco he wants to over there. :D

I do know alot of people who lift weights. As a rule, the guys who make lifting the main part of their workout are more on the bulkier side. The guys (and gals) who are about half and half tend to have builds somewhere in between Chris and Brad.
IMHO Brad needs to apend more time on bulking up. The very act of playing his sport provides him with plenty of cardio. I think you have tons of heart Brad, but please beef up and make it hurt when you body up on someone!!!!!
KD

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
MotorCityKingsFan said:
Brad Miller deserves it. Let's face it...Vlade is gone, so that job is rightfully his!!! He showed more guts than Divac last year...
The job would berightlfully Brads even if Vlade stayed... Brad came up bigger, played bigger and has a future... Vlade over all has sliped and has maybe 2 years left before he is compleetly done.