Eric Moreland Re-signed!

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a needed signing.

One of either Koufos or WCS will likely start next to Cousins which means the other will be the primary PF/C backup but after that the only options are Acy or playing a SF (Gay primarily) at PF assuming Dukan doesn't make the roster and heads to Reno instead as expected. I'd like to have another veteran for depth and leadership but at this stage of the offseason there weren't really any available options better than Moreland.

I like it...
Sure he shares a similar skill set with WCS but I'd hate to see him blossom on another team like Whiteside did. You can never have too many shot blockers...
He and WCS may have some common skills, but they are not the redundant players that many around here think they are. They are both athletic and lanky rim protectors. But otherwise their skillsets diverge. Moreland is a rebounder before anything else. WCS is a defender before anything else. I think we can stand to have both players become part of the Kings' future. At least until on-the-court performance proves otherwise.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Happy to hear the good news!

Just wonder why release him in first place, wasn't he on a minimum contract?
Moreland's contract was fully unguaranteed for 2015-2016, but became fully guaranteed on some date over the summer. We released him to avoid fully guaranteeing the contract. As you'll see, the contract we offered him in exchange has some guarantees (they are called "significant", but we do not know what that means) but is not fully guaranteed. So, in effect, we signed him to a more team-friendly contract. We took the risk that in the meantime somebody else might offer him a fully-guaranteed minimum deal, but it would appear that didn't happen and our "gamble" paid off.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Awesome!

I was a bit bummed when he was cut. After Justin Williams and Hassan Whiteside (well, Whiteside ended up being a beast down the road), I've learned to temper my expectations a bit with these raw athletic shot blocking types.... However, I still think it is a good move to have a prospect of that ilk on the roster just in case they do put it together (again, see Whiteside)!

And now we have two young shot blockers!

Hopefully Moreland gets those Reggie Evans minutes and shows he belongs in the league this upcoming season.

Cuz and Kufos are gonna get us around 3-4 bpg. If WCS and Moreland can both be rotation bigs and get us another 2+ bpg between them? The days of us allowing lay up drills should hopefully be in the past!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I feel sorry for poor Jerry "shotblocking is overrated" Reynolds. I can imagine him sharing a postgame beer with Petrie some night shaking his head and bemoaning the death of the beautiful game of Kings basketball.

After decades of idiocy, now we're setting up to see what length can do for you.

K

Kingsguy881

I feel sorry for poor Jerry "shotblocking is overrated" Reynolds. I can imagine him sharing a postgame beer with Petrie some night shaking his head and bemoaning the death of the beautiful game of Kings basketball.

After decades of idiocy, now we're setting up to see what length can do for you.
To be fair (and Jerry is probably the nicest person I have ever met) he was probably speaking more along the lines of 'it depends on who gets the carom of that block' than anything. Jerry is NOT stupid when it comes to hoops. I love what ya post Brickie but sometimes I think you mish and mash some things to fulfill some sort of subservient attitude that you are always right and others are always wrong. Life isn't so black and white my friend.

I was so irritated when we decided to give Dukan a guaranteed contract over Moreland. And scrubby Stockton had a spot too. I'm glad this happened. This dude is worth more than dookie, suckton, and even acy imo

I was so irritated when we decided to give Dukan a guaranteed contract over Moreland. And scrubby Stockton had a spot too. I'm glad this happened. This dude is worth more than dookie, suckton, and even acy imo
Acy is more valuable than Moreland. Acy can at least hit FTs and has a decent looking jumper. Both are hustle players, but aside from rebounding and shotblocking for Moreland, they're end of the bench players.

Acy is more valuable than Moreland. Acy can at least hit FTs and has a decent looking jumper. Both are hustle players, but aside from rebounding and shotblocking for Moreland, they're end of the bench players.
Imo Moreland is the better shotblocker and has the potential to become a decent rotation player whereas with Acy, I feel like he'll always be stuck as a 10th-12th man.

To be fair (and Jerry is probably the nicest person I have ever met) he was probably speaking more along the lines of 'it depends on who gets the carom of that block' than anything. Jerry is NOT stupid when it comes to hoops. I love what ya post Brickie but sometimes I think you mish and mash some things to fulfill some sort of subservient attitude that you are always right and others are always wrong. Life isn't so black and white my friend.
It is if you are colorblind.

I think the argument is that Moreland could become more than an end of bencher.

Cuz and Kufos are gonna get us around 3-4 bpg. If WCS and Moreland can both be rotation bigs and get us another 2+ bpg between them? The days of us allowing lay up drills should hopefully be in the past!
FWIW, the Kings interior defense has been pretty solid for the last year and a half. The team gets torched from outside, and especially on corner threes. The defensive philosophy has been nothing inside, but with poor rotations and slower bigs like Cousins and JT and stubby, slow bigs like Landry and Evans it was impossible to cover the perimeter and the inside. That is where WCS should shine, using the mobility and length to be able to sag off a guy and still contest a three.

A healthy Moreland is a vast defensive improvement over both Evans and Landry. I hope he gets some burn this year.

Last edited:
FWIW, the Kings interior defense has been pretty solid for the last year and a half. The team gets torched from outside, and especially on corner threes. The defensive philosophy has been nothing inside, but with poor rotations and slower bigs like Cousins and JT and stubby, slow bigs like Landry and Evans it was impossible to cover the perimeter and the inside. That is where WCS should shine, using the mobility and length to be able to sag off a guy and still contest a three.

A healthy Moreland is a vast defensive improvement over both Evans and Landry. I hope he gets some burn this year.
That's simply not true.

Our opponent field goal percentage at rim was 26th place last year, which is a slight improvement over 2013-14 when we took the 27th place. And also ranked second from the bottom in protecting the restricted area (opponents shot 65.2 percent).

We also rank as the team that gave up the 10th most field goals made within 5 feet (2nd highest %), and 2nd most made field goals between 5-9 feet (10th highest %).
We are among the teams that suffer least between 10-14 feat (27th in made field goals) and middle of the pack from 15-19 (13th in made field goals).

We do seem to have a problem in the range of 20-24 feet (long two's and short/corner threes) ranking 5th highest in field goal made, but I wouldn't say we are getting "torched" considering the percentages aren't that high (17th highest %), and we are OK between 25 and 29 (deep threes) at 17th most field goals made and 14th in % from there.

To sum it up, our interior defense wasn't all that great and our perimeter defense (and what I mean by that is guarding shots taken away from the basket and not keeping players from getting to the basket) was better.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well if you block someone a few times even if they get the ball back. That same player will think twice about coming back to the rim next time. 10 foot jumper has a lower % than a layup. That fact for some unknown reason Jerry never takes into effect. If something keeps falling off your shelf even if it doesn't break. How many times are you gonna put it back on that shelf before you find another place to put it?