Dwight Howard chooses Houston

USA Today's @sam_amick reports that Dwight has officially chosen Houston in free agency.

I think if the Warriors could have worked out a sign and trade that it would have been a better team for Howard. I don't see it working in Houston.

Yep there goes Woj, looks done. Well, I can't deny I hate the Lakers.. I visited their message board many times (lakersground) and when threads of our potential relocation came up I'd say the majority sided with Seattle. I suspect the Buss' were one of the parties that voted for relocation so Jackson could get his FO job. I have a natural disdain for the franchise. With that said, as a human I have to feel the empathy for the quality segments of the Lakers fanbase, it looks like they will be made to understand just how good they have had it once Kobe retires or can no longer carry them

Yep there goes Woj, looks done. Well, I can't deny I hate the Lakers.. I visited their message board many times (lakersground) and when threads of our potential relocation came up I'd say the majority sided with Seattle. I suspect the Buss' were one of the parties that voted for relocation so Jackson could get his FO job. I have a natural disdain for the franchise. With that said, as a human I have to feel the empathy for the quality segments of the Lakers fanbase, it looks like they will be made to understand just how good they have had it once Kobe retires or can no longer carry them
Empathy and Lakers......in the same sentence???? What has this place come to? lol

Dwight wanted to be highly paid and the face of a franchise. Now he has his chance.
Really? I respect your opinion, I kinda feel the opposite. He seems like a guy not forceful character, and may not have liked the pressure of the Lakers brand solely on him once kobe retires.. In Houston might be more pieces and less pressure

Really? I respect your opinion, I kinda feel the opposite. He seems like a guy not forceful character, and may not have liked the pressure of the Lakers brand solely on him once kobe retires.. In Houston might be more pieces and less pressure
Both. He would never truly be the face of the Laker franchise. Kobe seems like the kind of arrogant jerk that will stick around far past his prime to collect stats and checks, lol. Besides, the limelight will always shine bright in LA. In Houston, they have Hakeem, Clyde and Yao as the faces of their franchise. They have won a total of two titles....almost 20 years ago. What I meant is that he likes to the big fish in a small pond. Remember Orlando?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From ESPN:

Howard told an additional source that the main reason he's leaving the Lakers is because he wasn't comfortable playing for coach Mike D'Antoni, a source told ESPN.

Furthermore, Howard did not want to play 3-4 more years as a sidekick on Kobe Bryant's team, a source told Broussard, especially in a D'Antoni system that would rely heavily on 39-year-old point guard Steve Nash.
I detest the Lakers, but this is pure bushleague on Howard's part. IIRC, Shaq didn't do too badly as Kobe's sidekick. Howard is way too full of himself. It wasn't Steve Nash or Kobe Bryant who couldn't walk the walk last year.

Just heard on espn radio that Howard's flight just landed in L.A. and Dwight just told the Lakers he's 50/50. Howard night have changed his mind on Houston. My God, this guy.....sheesh.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just heard on espn radio that Howard's flight just landed in L.A. and Dwight just told the Lakers he's 50/50. Howard night have changed his mind on Houston. My God, this guy.....sheesh.
If this was some kind of ploy, Howard has made a major mistake, especially with those comments out there on ESPN. I hope LA tells him to take a flying leap (heheheh - you know, because he wore the Superman cape?)

If this was some kind of ploy, Howard has made a major mistake, especially with those comments out there on ESPN. I hope LA tells him to take a flying leap (heheheh - you know, because he wore the Superman cape?)
ESPN radio also said that the Lakers were never told by Howard that he was leaving or that they were out of the running, so they still feel like they have a chance to sign him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
ESPN radio also said that the Lakers were never told by Howard that he was leaving or that they were out of the running, so they still feel like they have a chance to sign him.
So basically Howard has managed to pee off Mark Cuban and the LA fans, who weren't that enamored of him anyway? Nice. This could get very entertaining before it's all done.

This guy. WTH.

I realize he's a great talent, but he can't carry a team himself. Now that Lebron has his rings he seems to be taking over the title of superstar I hope never gets one.

He probably has a point about D'Antoni though.

You want to argue semantics about Kobe and Shaq? Really?!? I'm sorry, but you must have me confused with someone who gives a ****
Not trying to argue. But he was right.

Anyway, this is a class-A loser that's Dwight Howard. He loves the attention and looks like he's getting all of it in Houston. The drama seems to still be flopping under his cape in the next few days so we shall see.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not trying to argue. But he was right.
But it's not about who was whose sidekick. It's about the stupidity that is Dwight Howard. Shaq and Kobe combined for 4 rings (or 3, or whatever) and it was pretty evident they didn't even really like each other. If Howard could walk the walk, instead of just spouting drivel, he could possibly get a ring to call his own. It's not the Laker ownership won't spend money to get the best players around him they possibly can.

I hate the freaking Lakers. I hate that I'm actually saying positive things about them. And most of all, I hate Dwight Howard for causing all of it.

But it's not about who was whose sidekick. It's about the stupidity that is Dwight Howard. Shaq and Kobe combined for 4 rings (or 3, or whatever) and it was pretty evident they didn't even really like each other. If Howard could walk the walk, instead of just spouting drivel, he could possibly get a ring to call his own. It's not the Laker ownership won't spend money to get the best players around him they possibly can.

I hate the freaking Lakers. I hate that I'm actually saying positive things about them. And most of all, I hate Dwight Howard for causing all of it.
Hey hey hey we are in agreement here... :)

Dwight is not going to win in Houston with just Harden. So we shall see about the new drama unfold, and we might not have to wait till next season before we see the headline "Dwight Howard upset with the Huston organization and ask for a trade." :p

And first up, next Kobe's tweet is going be interesting IMO...

Last edited:
Tough decisions ahead for the Lakers. Still over the cap and their old players aren't much of a draw... will they try to hang on too long and suffer the same fate Boston did during the 90's?

All I can say is that it's entertaining listening to the meltdown here in socal regarding losing DH for nothing. There are a few commentators who are saying that they don't care and that they'll use the $50 million in cap space wisely next year and that may be true but I'm still going to enjoy watching them struggle this year.

OTOH, this will allow D'Antoni to actually have a roster that allows him to run his system. I see them moving everyone up a spot meaning Kobe moves from the 2 to the 3, MWP from the 3 to the 4 and Gasol going from 4 to 5. They'll crank up the running game and have Meeks spotting up on the perimeter as well so they won't be a total eyesore.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Dwight’s biggest mistake was asking for a trade from Orlando. Granted Orlando made several crucial mistakes in these past few years – starting with the trade for Vince Carter right after they made the finals....Orlando was a great fit for him - yes they were also getting older and now fully together but (with a new gm) I think they could have improved their roster....Sad how he was totally unprofessional after the lockout ended.

If he did sign with the Lakers he would be making more money – not only contract wise but also the media attention & endorsements that he would get (I heard the Lakers wanted to give him his own TV special or something like that).

I can see why he’d leave – I know Kobe is great but he’s coming off of a big injury and who knows how he’s going to play next season, you have a coach who really doesn’t care about altering his style of basketball to fit his players ability. We saw it with Pau as well, he wasn’t being utilized to his potential (I remember a game where Kobe basically told the coach how they should use Pau – and it worked, Pau played really well). Dwight sees an aging roster and he doesn’t want to waste several years to get better….The Lakers should have tried a sign and trade with the Clippers…..Or maybe they’ll be so bad next year that they’ll get the #1 pick in the upcoming draft.

But I’m sorry, Houston isn’t his place either. Dallas would have been a better opportunity. If he thinks he’s going to win with that roster or even the potential addition of Josh Smith, I don’t see them getting that far. I can’t imagine him winning with that team unless they continue to add great pieces….But on the bright side, I’m sure the Chinese fans will sell out his jersey.

Either way, I’m glad the drama of him deciding where he wants to go and play is finally over. Hopefully we won’t see him demanding a trade 2 years from now.

Will definitely be interesting to see how things play out for the Lakers. Right now I'm feeling like this effetively shuts their championship window -- at least for the Kobe Bryant led era. That's not to say they won't be a good team this year still, but highly unlikely they'll be contending for a title. They still are over the cap, their bench has gotten weaker so far this off-season and no one knows what type of player Kobe will be when he comes back. Even if he's 105% of what he was last year, they're not good enough to beat Miami assuming they could find a way to get out of the West.

And then the offseason comes... lotsa cap space suddenly, but do the Lakers have to pay Kobe a huge chunk of change again? Do they look to jettison him and bring in a fresh superstar? Who would that be? Seems unlikely that LeBron would be willing to come and I'm not sure who else you can bring it that guarantees a championship run *that* year other than him (don't say Carmelo!)... they either go into rebuild mode or some hybrid "win with Kobe" mode while trying to draw in an unproven heir apparent willing to awkwardly coexist with Bryant and a lot of new pieces for another year as he hits 36/37.

The Lakers of course have shown a historical knack for bringing in players that turn great. But in this case I don't think it happens fast enough to get Kobe his 6th ring unless he's willing to play into his late 30's as a sidekick again.

Last edited: