Dream Team Quarterfinals --- Sacramento Kings (5) Vs. The Dream's Team (13)

Who Advances to the Semi-Finals?

• Jespher: Sacramento Kings (5)

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • tradepeja: The Dream's Team (13)

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I had to use my commishoner powers to make a tough decision on this one. The bdouble013/tradepeja battle ended in a dead tie.

It would seem fair that the higher seed would continue on, however because bdouble013 did not complete a 15th and final mandatory round, tradepeja wins and advances.
----------------------------------------------

Jespher
(5)
1: LeBron James --- F
2: Dwight Howard --- F/C
3: Kevin Johnson --- PG
4: Manu Ginobili --- G/F
5: Alonzo Mourning --- F/C
6: Mike D'Antoni --- Head Coach
7: Steve Kerr --- PG
8: Mark Price --- PG
9: Pau Gasol --- F/C
10: Lamar Odom --- Point Forward
11: Joe Johnson --- G/F
12: Tayshaun Prince --- F
13: Brad Miller --- C
14: Scott Skiles --- Asst. Coach
15: Sacramento Kings

Vs.

tradepeja (13)
1: Hakeem Olajuwon --- C
2: Chris Paul --- PG
3: John Havlicek --- SF
4: Reggie Miller --- SG
5: Bob Pettit --- PF
6: Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson --- PG/SG
7: Don Nelson --- Head Coach
8: PJ Calesimo --- Asst. Coach
9: Craig Hodges --- SG
10: Shawn Marion --- SF/PF/C
11: Ralph Sampson --- PF/C
12: PJ Brown --- PF/C
13: Mike Bibby --- PG
14: Matt Hapring --- G/F
15: The Dream's Team

Polls Close Thursday at 4pm!

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I had to use my commishoner powers to make a tough decision on this one. The bdouble013/tradepeja battle ended in a dead tie.

It would seem fair that the higher seed would continue on, however because bdouble013 did not complete a 15th and final mandatory round, tradepeja wins and advances.
----------------------------------------------
Uhoh, I am predicting howls of protest. Worse yet, I believe he is now a fellow lawyer, so you may just get sued. :p

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What would be a better course of action?

One drafter didn't complete his full list of requirements.
Seems pretty simple (At least to me) that that would/should be a tiebreaker above all else.

Bricklayer

Seems pretty simple (At least to me) that that would/should be a tiebreaker above all else.

Oh, its too late now, but I might have tried something original like having each owner get to foul out one of his opponent's players, then having a one day "Overtime" poll between the remaining players or some such. The key to retaining true power is in never having to directly exercise it. MUHAHAHAHA! :p

Patently unfair! Boo!!! HISSSSS!!!

Ok, really - unfortunately it was my duties as a lawyer that kept me from posting a full write-up. Like any good lawyer, I realize my right to appeal is limited. Additionally, I've looked over the facts and the legal issues and I have little chance of any recovery so, like the Kings of 2002, I'll remember this as one I should have won. Tradepeja, enjoy your asterisk. :p

(Ok, how bad is it that I really took 5 minutes to decide if I actually had any damages).

Bricklayer

(Ok, how bad is it that I really took 5 minutes to decide if I actually had any damages).

Didn't you take torts? You ALWAYS have damages. Think of the emotional distress! And the resulting time off of work. And the resulting lost income when you don't get your bonus! And the resulting loss of consortium when your girl leaves you because you're too depressed and can't afford to take her out. Come on! Sue the pants off of him! :p

Last edited:
I knew you would jump on that. Somewhere my torts professor is nodding her head vigorously at your post. I thought of those things, but I meant REAL damages. :p

Can you tell I'm not a PI attorney?

Are you licensed in CA? I searched for Bricklayer on the California bar website, but I couldn't find ya. :p

Last edited:
Wait, wait. SLAB would be the one getting sued right, not me? ;)

Oh and Jespher, I like your style there. Here's the best I could remember, CP3 assisting for the game winner against LeBron.

[yt=CP3 ftmfw...okay David West]HfX1yAAE1GQ[/yt]

This would be an exciting match-up of two up tempo powerhouse teams. I like the point guard battle between KJ and CP3, also at Center Dwight vs. Hakeem would be worth the price of admission. Add in D'Antoni vs. Nelson, and let the fireworks begin.

I'm skeptical that anyone on your team could contain LeBron in an up and down game, even Havlicek would have difficulties with his speed and strength. Also, when the starters are run down from the pace I think that my second unit will be able to keep the points coming, especially against your bench defenders. Manu vs Hodges or Vinnie Johnson, Mark Price vs. Bibby, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom vs. Sampson/PJ Brown, Marion vs. Prince etc. Our strategy is to attack Chris Paul and Hakeem Olajuwan to get them in early foul trouble. Without Chris to push the pace, or Hakeem to anchor the post, I think we'll be able to attack offensively and defensively without mercy.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Sorry, but I disagree. An arbitrary requirement to write up something about your team was NEVER a part of last year's drafts. In addition, a well-drafted team, such as bdouble013's, pretty much speaks for itself - especially with the group voting. NONE of my decisions has been based on the write-ups.

Some people just don't have as much time to devote to things such as write-ups as some others. I do not think they should be penalized for it. At least he didn't keep the draft waiting... and waiting ... and waiting ... repeatedly. And that's not meant as a dig against tradepeja so much as evidence there was malfeasance on both sides of the issue.

I'm abstaining from voting, just as I refused to watch the 2002 NBA Finals. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what you believe.

:)

What are people basing these votes on? So far 15 people have voted in this poll, and only tradepeja and I have justified our votes...(It's kinda frustrating to be in a tight race with someone who timed out 4 times:mad:)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I went back on my stand, and ended up voting for Jespher. My main reason was that I think the combination of Dwight Howard and Lebron James would be awesome and jaw-dropping, especially with KJ at the point. I'm also a much bigger fan of D'Antoni than Don Nelson.

I went back on my stand, and ended up voting for Jespher. My main reason was that I think the combination of Dwight Howard and Lebron James would be awesome and jaw-dropping, especially with KJ at the point. I'm also a much bigger fan of D'Antoni than Don Nelson.
Thanks VF. I quite agree, Dwight + LeBron would be awesome together. Add in KJ, Manu, and Zo, and it would be fun to watch them dominate:).

Sorry, but I disagree. An arbitrary requirement to write up something about your team was NEVER a part of last year's drafts. In addition, a well-drafted team, such as bdouble013's, pretty much speaks for itself - especially with the group voting. NONE of my decisions has been based on the write-ups.

Some people just don't have as much time to devote to things such as write-ups as some others. I do not think they should be penalized for it. At least he didn't keep the draft waiting... and waiting ... and waiting ... repeatedly. And that's not meant as a dig against tradepeja so much as evidence there was malfeasance on both sides of the issue.

I'm abstaining from voting, just as I refused to watch the 2002 NBA Finals. Sometimes you just have to stand up for what you believe.

:)
A few things here. What do last year's drafts have to do with this years? So what if none of last year's had a mandatory write-up requirement. This one did. That's all that matters for this point.

And while that was meant as a dig against me, let's not kid ourselves, I admittadely deserve it. I should have deferred my picks when I saw them come up. The week I was timing out was finals week. This draft really was on the bottom of the bottom list of priorities at that point.

I'm sorry its "frustrating" Jespher, but I have the defenders in Havlicek and Marion to at least contain LeBron to a 35/7/7 average (which as we have seen, can be far from enough to guarantee his team a win). Once D12 has picked up his early fouls trying, and failing, to guard Olajuwon, Olajuwon will have better match-up against Zo and Sampson will beat around your squishy back-up centers in Gasol and Brad Miller. Kevin Johnson and CP3 would be the most interesting part about the match-up. I think Paul's superspeed would wind up bothering KJ, although you could just put Manu on him then. Prepare for Reggie to light it up if you proceed down that path. We are also both very, very good shooting teams. I'm not so sure how all those starters would perform coming off the bench for you though. It might not be as dynamic as it looks on paper. In the end, probably the most interesting match-up going on here right now.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This draft didn't have a mandatory write-up requirement until after the signups had been completed. In fact, it wasn't even brought up until several rounds had been completed...

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=622130&postcount=251

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=622267&postcount=276

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=622603&postcount=329

When you change the rules in mid-stream, especially when it's something new, it's not necessarily something everyone would agree with.

Getting past all that, even if it is part of a requirement, it's something that should be used by voters if they so choose. To use it to decide a tie-breaker is patently unfair, IMO.

As far as my comments being a dig at you, I specifically said:

And that's not meant as a dig against tradepeja so much as evidence there was malfeasance on both sides of the issue.
So yes, it was a dig but it was more an indication that I felt bdouble013 was being unduly penalized when both of you had committed faux pas.

Okay I'll admit it, I'll end all this nonsense. Me and SLAB were working together the whole time. We're like a real Tim Donaghy and David Stern!

But, in seriousness, I feel this is a reoccurring problem with these drafts. Whether the rule was put in late or not has no bearing on the matter. The rule was there when it counted, at the end of the draft. What's the use of having a commissioner of each draft if he cannot run the draft the way he sees fit? Every time a commissioner tries to make a change in a draft, large or small, there is some sort of backlash that is always out of proportion to the change. Let's just learn to live with what they deem is in the best interest in the draft, as it is their draft when its all said and done. They came up with the idea, they put the most time into it by far, why not let them run it how they choose? If they ruffle some feathers, that's their loss. Trust me, I know.

I do remember you coming up with some rule after my failed experiment that stated that no rules could be changed once a draft had been started. If this was supposed to be in affect, why wasn't SLAB referred to it and asked to remove his mandatory team description rule when it would have mattered? If that rule is still in affect, the failure here rests on several other shoulders than SLAB's alone.

I'm sorry its "frustrating" Jespher, but I have the defenders in Havlicek and Marion to at least contain LeBron to a 35/7/7 average (which as we have seen, can be far from enough to guarantee his team a win). Once D12 has picked up his early fouls trying, and failing, to guard Olajuwon, Olajuwon will have better match-up against Zo and Sampson will beat around your squishy back-up centers in Gasol and Brad Miller. Kevin Johnson and CP3 would be the most interesting part about the match-up. I think Paul's superspeed would wind up bothering KJ, although you could just put Manu on him then. Prepare for Reggie to light it up if you proceed down that path. We are also both very, very good shooting teams. I'm not so sure how all those starters would perform coming off the bench for you though. It might not be as dynamic as it looks on paper. In the end, probably the most interesting match-up going on here right now.
The interesting match-up to me is the back-up point guards. Once Chris Paul is in foul trouble, who will you have to run your high speed offense? Mike Bibby? I have 2 strong point guards in KJ and Mark Price. If both of them are in trouble I can initiate through my forwards with Lamar Odom or LeBron playing point forward. Manu Ginobili and Joe Johnson are both capable of playing the PG spot well in spots also.

Same goes for Olajuwon. Sure he was dominant with Houston, but they didn't have an up and down style. How well will he play in an up and down game where he has to come out and guard the 3 point line? With so many athletic finishers, I can see him having trouble staying in the game, as he will naturally try to contest as many drives as possible, leading to early foul trouble. Without Olajuwon, your front line is far less intimidating, opening up the lane even more to Joe Johnson, Manu Ginobili, Pau Gasol, LeBron James, Kevin Johnson, Mark Price, Lamar Odom, and Tayshaun Prince.

As for Reggie Miller lighting it up, I have some nasty wing defenders to make his life challenging. Plus his defense was pretty poor most of his career, so we can exploit him far more on our end. Lets see him against Manu Ginobili and Joe Johnson. We all remember his match-ups with Tayshaun Prince too.

Last edited:
VF - fight the good fight! Down with the infidels!

I'm not really upset. Life is too damn busy right now for me to be upset about this. I know I should have won, so I'll hang my hat on that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.