Draymond Green

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
What would others here think of him at PF next to Boogie long-term? The guy is putting up an absolutely outstanding season with GSW and in my eyes is the perfect PF compliment to Boogie's game. First and foremost, he's an outstanding defender in every sense of the word. His emergence as an elite defender has been one of the big reasons Golden State has turned into a top 10 defensive team.

Here are is numbers on the year:
12.4 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 3.1 APG, 0.9 SPG, 0.9 BPG, 2.2 TOV, 56% TS

He's also a floor-spacer (35%3pt) and best of all is a low USG guy at only 18%. Very few players in the NBA impact the game the way he does without scoring.

The reason I'm bringing him up as an option in the first place is Golden State won't be able to afford him, even with the new salary cap increases. They have $65 mil committed to 5 guys next season (Lee, Bogut, Curry, Klay, Iggy) and another $5.8 with Barnes and Ezeli. I'm not entirely sure how Livingston's contract works as in some places they say it's guaranteed and others non-guaranteed, but he's another $5.5 mil on the books. And then add on another 5 mil in possible player options, the Warrior potentially have $80 mil on the books for next season.

I'd offer 4/32 mil without thinking twice.

The best fit next to Cousins would be a tall PF who can protect the rim and hit jumpers (i.e. Ibaka). Speaking of Green, though he isn't a shotblocker, he has turned into one of the best role players in the league. He's elite defensively (besides his ability to defend PF positon he can switch easily and guard any position) and has developed a respectable jumper. He also has nice passing skills. But if I am the Warriors, I am trying my best to keep him since Lee is going to decline and has serious health issues.

I like Green, he can be a nice fit next to Cuz. My only issue with him is his length, I'm a bit tired of 6'7 PFs on this team.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
And since there are no other Ibakas right now to be had, I'd say Green would be a great fit. In particular his ability in defending the pick and roll and being able to guard both F positions would be tremendous additions. He might be attainable too if the Kings have cap space. The contracts they've given out to Klay and Iggy the last two years are going to make it very difficult for them to re-sign Green if it gets too pricey.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
The best fit next to Cousins would be a tall PF who can protect the rim and hit jumpers (i.e. Ibaka). Speaking of Green, though he isn't a shotblocker, he has turned into one of the best role players in the league. He's elite defensively (besides his ability to defend PF positon he can switch easily and guard any position) and has developed a respectable jumper. He also has nice passing skills. But if I am the Warriors, I am trying my best to keep him since Lee is going to decline and has serious health issues.

I like Green, he can be a nice fit next to Cuz. My only issue with him is his length, I'm a bit tired of 6'7 PFs on this team.
They'd have to dump Lee or plan on a $100+mil team next season in order to make that work. And Lee is really, really far from a guy you just cap dump on somebody. Green will get at least 4/$32 offer from someone and wouldn't surprise me to see $4/40. Warriors simply can't afford 6 8 figure contracts.

who cares? Green is all length; it's a big reason why he's such an effective defender. The only thing Draymond can't do on the defensive end of the floor is rim protection, something which Cuz has started to develop in rather nicely this season. Green is a tangible option who isn't a complete pipe-dream to acquire.

They will match any offer 8-11mill. Why cause lee is an expiring next year so they only have to pay those 2 for 1 year then let lee walk and green takes his place at 8-11mill. They would have to pay luxury tax that year but I think they do it as they are contenders and can contain there salary cap the next 2-3 years. Also Iggy expires at the same time as curry so they can let him go and barnes steps in at under 10mill.

They'd have to dump Lee or plan on a $100+mil team next season in order to make that work. And Lee is really, really far from a guy you just cap dump on somebody. Green will get at least 4/$32 offer from someone and wouldn't surprise me to see $4/40. Warriors simply can't afford 6 8 figure contracts.

who cares? Green is all length; it's a big reason why he's such an effective defender. The only thing Draymond can't do on the defensive end of the floor is rim protection, something which Cuz has started to develop in rather nicely this season. Green is a tangible option who isn't a complete pipe-dream to acquire.
He's a bit hot'n'cold with his long ball, but he excels because he's a really versatile defender with his combination of strength and quickness. Warriors defense relies equally on Bogut protecting the rim and the ability of most guys at 2-4 positions to switch, which breaks down a lot of plays for the other team as there's no really exploitable mismatch and no open players at the same time. One problem Warriors do have with Green at 4 is rebounding. I would still look to Kyle O'Quinn first as a most realistic target this summer, who would also expand potential depth at C, but Green would be welcome too, if PDA can pull that off.