Draft remorse: WCS over ____________(split)

I have a feeling Mudiay will make us regret not taking him.

MOD NOTE: I split the WCS-Mudiay discussion into its own thread, since I have the strong feeling we will be comparing WCS to other top draft picks during the next week or so. - VF21

Last edited by a moderator:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We're getting blown out by 20 points here for the second game in a row. WCS has pulled down all of 1 rebound in 20 minutes. Mudiay has 19 points and 10 assists and he's creating open looks almost every time down the floor. Some of this is eye of the beholder stuff, but it's pretty obvious to me which is the more talented player. The hope would be that Cauley-Stein is enough of a difference maker on defense to have a role on an NBA team, but I remain unconvinced until I see it happen. Is he a better fit for our roster? Yeah, I think so. Our bigman depth is still a problem and it would be worse without him. But there's no doubt Mudiay is an NBA player, maybe even a star.

yea Mudiay is a beast, can't blame Vlade for not taking him though because of our need for front court defense and the fact that little info was known about Mudiay.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
yea Mudiay is a beast, can't blame Vlade for not taking him though because of our need for front court defense and the fact that little info was known about Mudiay.
:rolleyes: Continue to tell yourself that if you want. I know it isn't true though. Maybe Vlade didn't know enough about him, but a whole lot of other people saw the talent there.

J

jdbraver

We're getting blown out by 20 points here for the second game in a row. WCS has pulled down all of 1 rebound in 20 minutes. Mudiay has 19 points and 10 assists and he's creating open looks almost every time down the floor. Some of this is eye of the beholder stuff, but it's pretty obvious to me which is the more talented player. The hope would be that Cauley-Stein is enough of a difference maker on defense to have a role on an NBA team, but I remain unconvinced until I see it happen. Is he a better fit for our roster? Yeah, I think so. Our bigman depth is still a problem and it would be worse without him. But there's no doubt Mudiay is an NBA player, maybe even a star.
we have no need at PH. We had no rim protector! David Wear had 19 and 6. Mudiay can pass but his d needs work and his shot needs work b4 I crown him a legit nba player. Last year will cherry was tearing up SL

Who is saying he can't play? We do NOT have a need at PG. we had no rim protector. Hello?
Hi :),

We had no rim protector? Demarcus did just fine protecting the rim last year, in the draft you ALWAYS take best player available regardless of roster fit, Thats like saying hey we already have Darren Collison so lets pass on D Rose and take Evan Turner because he fits? and in MY opinion Mudiay was definately the best player available, in MY estimation he is going to be a star and we made a mistake by taking WCS so high, he will be good for what his ceiling is, a super role player, but Mudiay will be a star.

While a player who plays WCS's role is tough to find in FA it is much more attainable than finding a potential star like Mudiay.

Again this is just my opinion, and I know this is only summer league and no one can predict the future.

As an aside I truely hope WCS turns out to be an outstanding player, I am of course a kings fan, but until I see otherwise I will continue to feel like passing on Mudiay to draft WCS at 6 was a mistake.

J

jdbraver

We had no rim protector? Demarcus did just fine protecting the rim last year, in the draft you ALWAYS take best player available regardless of roster fit, Thats like saying hey we already have Darren Collison so lets pass on D Rose and take Evan Turner because he fits? and in MY opinion Mudiay was definately the best player available, in MY estimation he is going to be a star and we made a mistake by taking WCS so high, he will be good for what his ceiling is, a super role player, but Mudiay will be a star.

While a player who plays WCS's role is tough to find in FA it is much more attainable than finding a potential star like Mudiay.

Again this is just my opinion, and I know this is only summer league and no one can predict the future.

As an aside I truely hope WCS turns out to be an outstanding player, I am of course a kings fan, but until I see otherwise I will continue to feel like passing on Mudiay to draft WCS at 6 was a mistake.
No cuz is not a weak side rim protector. U do draft for need when a hard to find player fills that need.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
we have no need at PH. We had no rim protector! David Wear had 19 and 6. Mudiay can pass but his d needs work and his shot needs work b4 I crown him a legit nba player. Last year will cherry was tearing up SL
Last year Will Cherry was a 23 year old journeyman looking for a job. Guys like that are supposed to look good in summer league. Emmanuel Mudiay just turned 19 and he dominated a game in which he might be the youngest player on the floor. In terms of NBA potential, there's a big difference there.

No cuz is not a weak side rim protector. U do draft for need when a hard to find player fills that need.
Cuz is a fine rim protector and defender all around, he stepped up his game last year and did much better than most people think.

You pass on a potential star for a weakside blocker?

I guess will just disagree man.

Mudiay certainly didn't have the hype of D Rose before the draft.

We have Collison and Rondo now as PG. I am not a fan or a believer in a rookie PG leading the team. Especially Mudiay. He is talented for sure, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over what ifs and I'm certainly not going to proclaim him the next star. He's exactly like Tyreke in my eyes. Smaller, probably not any faster, same athleticism, slightly worse dribble, and marginal better shooting. Probably a more gifted passer. He's got excellent tools to work with, but so did Tyreke and a lot of other guys and they never lived up to what people thought they would be. Also, 5 other teams besides us passed on him. He was the biggest unknown in the lottery by a significant margin. It made 5 teams besides us pass on him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Cuz is a fine rim protector and defender all around, he stepped up his game last year and did much better than most people think.

You pass on a potential star for a weakside blocker?

I guess will just disagree man.
Yes you do, if that's what you need.

And you especially do when the 'potential star" is a 7th pick because nobody can be sure what he is, and he hasn't even worked out for you. Mudiay can go on to become a star, and we can still have done the right thing and gotten a piece that could threaten to turn us into the best interior defensive team in the league, not 3 years from now, but TODAY.

WCS and Moreland provided some great rim protection but Denver still killed us with their 3 pointer. Tells you how bad our guards are. Mudiay looked good, but so did everyone on Denver's backcourt...so I'm not ready to crown him a star like some of you. He won't have that big of a size advantage when the season starts.

Stockton doesn't look like an NBA player out there, we better get a veteran PG like Miller.

J

jdbraver

Guards who can create and score, will always tend to look good in these casual Summer League type games. Remember how solid Ray Mac was last summer?

Lets wait till the season starts against real NBA teams, before leaning one way or the other about "mistakes" or "steals" with picks
It seems to me some people missed how fast WCS ran the floor and defended the weak side.

Wait until Mudiay is matching up with an elite Western Conference PG almost every night....

He was playing a team of summer league scrubs today, and David Stockton was the only PG on the roster, lol.

Also saw someone mention this was Mudiay's first game, this was his 2nd game. He had like 11pts 5ast in his first

I see the "overreact to a couple of summer league games" crew is already out in full force. New Summer, same crap.

The things that WCS does well and should make him a special player down the road aren't really measureable in SL. Secondly, many fans just choose to see points and assists, which is why scorers tend to get all the attention.

Mudiay is supposed to look good in SL - if he truly is a talented player. But remember that Kevin Martin once ripped it up in SL, too, but that didn't make him a better pick than a defensive-minded player that produced underwhelming offensive statistics. Some need to open their minds and stop with the 2-dimensional thinking.

Last edited:
WCS would have easily had 6-8 more points if the guards could throw a lob pass correctly or dished it off to him intentionally and not as a last resort when they got stuck in the air. WCS will be fine I'm not worried.

WCS would have easily had 6-8 more points if the guards could throw a lob pass correctly or dished it off to him intentionally and not as a last resort when they got stuck in the air. WCS will be fine I'm not worried.
yeah I saw a bunch of bad lob passes that WCS was able to recover on some and tip in...

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I think second game of SL for WCS and first for Mudiay is the perfect time for those who preferred Mudiay to start taking victory laps about being right.
Second game for both of them. I don't see anyone taking victory laps here, I'm just pointing out that all of the things I said before the draft about both of these guys was apparent in what I saw today. Mudiay played the same type of game he always plays -- smooth, under control, always has his head up. He's the reason Denver was blowing us out. It's not like they had guards creating their own looks all over the floor. Mudiay was hitting these guys repeatedly for wide open three pointers all game long and it broke our back. We had no answer for him.

Cauley-Stein is still all potential. Sure the tools are fantastic. He can move his feet like no other big and he comes up with some huge blocks every now and then but the rest of the time he's not doing the fundamental things that you need a big man to do. He's not boxing out so we're relying on someone else to finish the defensive possession almost every single play. His mobility is also sortof a double edged sword because he takes himself out of the play at times over-reacting to off-ball motion. For instance, on one play Mudiay just waltzed right by him and laid the ball in because Cauley-Stein was turned around under the basket and couldn't make a play on the ball. On another play Mudiay baited him into a foul on a fast break. He's got one job -- protect the basket -- and he's not even doing that consistently. The question I've always had about Cauley-Stein -- if he's that big of a defensive difference maker, why isn't he impacting the game more? How come 18 year old freshman Myles Turner comes into the game off the bench for 10 minutes and his presence on the court is undeniable while Cauley-Stein the SEC defensive player of the year is out there watching other people rebound the ball, letting guards drive around him and lay it in, and throwing bricks off the backboard when he catches the ball 5 feet from the basket? I hope he gets better, but I just never understood any of the hype about this guy.

WCS was drafted to play next to Cousins. If we didn't have cuz we wouldn't have drafted him BUT WE DO. Cousins is such a beast on the floor but what he doesn't do WCS does very well.

gunks

Hall of Famer
WCS really needs to step his rebounding up.

Mudiay is looking like he can be a star.... but it is summer league, and he's a guard, so he should look like a star.

Still, no regrets. Trill is showing that he is quite the versatile defender.

I like Moreland for the Reggie role. Just get in there and scrap for a minute here and there.