Doug Collins?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ok hear me out on this one. Since Collins has announced he is not returning to Philly next season does any one else see him as a plan B to take over over for Smart next season if a better option can not be found? Give him a one or two year deal while beating the bushes for someone better? I am not sold on this at all, but it does seem that the new owner will likely have to 1. pick a up and coming assistant coach to try out or settle for a second tier head coach with experience. I don't see Adelman, Sloan, J. Vangundy or Jackons making them selves available, but who knows.

Ok hear me out on this one. Since Collins has announced he is not returning to Philly next season does any one else see him as a plan B to take over over for Smart next season if a better option can not be found? Give him a one or two year deal while beating the bushes for someone better? I am not sold on this at all, but it does seem that the new owner will likely have to 1. pick a up and coming assistant coach to try out or settle for a second tier head coach with experience. I don't see Adelman, Sloan, J. Vangundy or Jackons making them selves available, but who knows.
I think our roster is interesting enough that some higher profile coaches might take a second look at, plus a new ownership = willingness to spend on improving quick. They can just imagine the headline "New Era has come. Coach <name> manages to bring the young Kings back to the Playoffs in his first year."

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I've always like Collins as a coach. However, at this point it's a total guessing game who the coach will be. My gut tells me he's not going to be an older coach like Sloan, Collins, Brown, Adelman, et al. I'm not sure how that older guy type fits into the Vivek way of thinking. Hopefully, we'll get more on this from Vivek sooner rather than later.

Collins is a pretty good coach but he just seems disinterested in the coaching lifestyle, he's older, more into spending time with his family etc, I know Vivek is a visionary and likes to think outside of the box but I hope he doesnt plan on a mark jackson type of hire, those dont always workout well. This roster needs a guy with pedigree that the players will respect, IMO his first order of business wont neccesarily be to come up with great X's and O's but to set roles and establish accountabilty.

Collins is a great coach to take a team from the bottom to respectable, and it seems like a great fit.

But the Kings situation is a little different because Reke/Cuz are up for extensions, and so long term stability and player-relationships take on a little bit more importance, if the ownership ultimately decides to build around those 2.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No thanks. A new ownership group will be able to do better than Doug Collins.

Agreed. We need to make a splash, get a huge name as soon as the Kings are free from the Maloofs, show that it was them who ruined this franchise, not the city or the fans.

no way, I don't want retreads like collins,Brown,dunleavy,fratello,nelson,silas, etc. etc. Exeception to this is McMillan, i think he can coach

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I certainly hope we can/do get a top coach to come in and take the reins of this mess. My purpose in the thread I guess was to point out that IF the new owners HAVE to take on a second tier coach, I was wondering what folks though of Collins as opposed to the other old second tier coaches out there. I see Collins as preferable to NElly, Faratello, Dunlevy etc. If for no other reason He seems to be better at rallying troops and perhaps less likely to expect a long tenure. Of course I would definalty love o see J. Vangundy or better yet Jerry Sloan take the job. I of course am assuming Adelman will not be available.

Collins might be kept in the front office of the Sixers, at least quite a few reports say so. much to the chagrin of Sixers fans, who wanted to see him gone for some time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'll say it again, my first phone call would be to Phil Jackson. Money talks, and our new ownership will have plenty. You land Jackson, and you'll have no trouble signing good freeagents. There's not a player in the NBA that wouldn't want to play for Jackson. Its time for a big splash. Now maybe he's not interested in coaching right now, but I'd sure give him a call. I want no part of Collins. He comes with a bullwhip and a spiked helmet. No thanks!. My second choice is Van Gundy, the sane one, and then maybe McMillan or Sloan. Don't know about Scott, who I believe was just fired, or is going to be fired at seasons end.

I'll say it again, my first phone call would be to Phil Jackson. Money talks, and our new ownership will have plenty. You land Jackson, and you'll have no trouble signing good freeagents. There's not a player in the NBA that wouldn't want to play for Jackson. Its time for a big splash. Now maybe he's not interested in coaching right now, but I'd sure give him a call. I want no part of Collins. He comes with a bullwhip and a spiked helmet. No thanks!. My second choice is Van Gundy, the sane one, and then maybe McMillan or Sloan. Don't know about Scott, who I believe was just fired, or is going to be fired at seasons end.
I would love Phil Jackson. He knows how to get the most out of his players mentally. Can you imagine the things he could do with Big Cuz? He'd have a coach and a shrink all in one! All kidding aside, he'd be able to build a succesful team with Reke and Cuz as the centerpieces.

I think it would take somewhere north of 11 million a year for phil to coach here, I believe he was at 10 million in his last year in LA, even with deep pockets im not sure the ownership group/Jackson would do that right away espcially with a roster they will most certainly turnover. He may take less money for a lead front office job and Brian Shaw as the coach but he has no track record as a GM/Scout, he was basically handed Jordan,Pippen and Shaq+Kobe, I dont know if a big salary for him to be the GM would be the best idea.

L

LWP777

Collins burns teams out in a hurry. I can only imagine his relationship with Cousins.
Yeah, you've said this before. Problem is Cousins is the problem, not Collins. He seems to be doing just fine in Philly. Who do you think would work for Cousins? Hint: The answer is nobody until he grows up and fixes his mental problems.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, you've said this before. Problem is Cousins is the problem, not Collins. He seems to be doing just fine in Philly. Who do you think would work for Cousins? Hint: The answer is nobody until he grows up and fixes his mental problems.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
This notion that a new better coach is going to fix Cousins is much more of a broken record. What's good for the goose...
I don't see why it is. We've thrown crap coaches at Cousins (and everyone else on this team). Might as well try a good coach. I know, it's crazy.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
PJ has never coached with out a distinct personal advantage over the competition, and quite frankly I don't think he wold ever take a job that did not offer him the same advantage. Now I have strong suspicion that the right coach could let both Evans and Cousins develop into the strongest 1-2 punch in the league, but at his point I don't see PJ taking on a project. Quite frankly the ONLY two teams that I can see PJ agreeing to coach are Miami or more likely OKC. In fact our best hope for a great coach is for OKC to loose the WCF and blame Brooks. We might well be able o get him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't see why it is. We've thrown crap coaches at Cousins (and everyone else on this team). Might as well try a good coach. I know, it's crazy.
Sure, it's worth a try. But it's just as much a broken record to say it's the coach, it's the coach, as those saying it won't make a difference. I'd like to think that the issue will be resolved once and for all when we get a new coach. It's much too gray of an area now. Either the new good coach will resolve the issue, or he'd won't. I'm ready for either. Just give me some clarity, please.