Donatas Motiejunas

Donatas Motiejunas is currently in limbo after Houston matched on the Brooklyn Nets 4 year $37 mil deal.

He has not reported for his physical and Houston may have to trade him, if he doesn't report.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ston-rockets-6-million-difference-offer-sheet

Knowing Vlade love of Euro players, how about trying to get Donatas when his value is low?

Salary cap wise, a KK for Donatas trade would work, don't know if Houston would bit though. Possibly a Gay for Dontas trade would work, with some extra pieces.

Why Kings do it? Donatas could be the stretch 4 that Vlade has been looking for next to DMC. Kings get a competent PF and one under a reasonalble contract for 4 years. If they bite on KK, that would be ideal, but if they require Gay, then he probably would have been gone at the end of the year anyways. Dealing Gay would open up PT for Casspi or Barnes at the Small Forward spot. One area of concern though, is Donatas had some back issue, but he played well at the end of last year.

Why the Rockets do it? Well, if Donatas refuses to play for them, they have very little option, but to trade him. If they bite on KK, they would have a full size lane clogger and defensive presence at center. If the require Gay in the trade, they have already shown interest in him already and that give them a 2nd gun behind Harden.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I suggested something like this a month ago. But he and his idiot agent (former player B.J. Armstrong) have made this whole thing into a real mess now. The legalities of his status are murky at best.

I suggested something like this a month ago. But he and his idiot agent (former player B.J. Armstrong) have made this whole thing into a real mess now. The legalities of his status are murky at best.
I believe he returns to being a restricted free agent, if the Rockets don't waive the physical and the contract is not completed.

If he does not officially re-signs, he should be eligible for a sign and trade, if the Rockets so desired. After all, the Rockets did try to trade him last year, but the other team rescinded the trade out of concerns for his back's health.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He has to take a physical to be an option....I wouldn't trade Gay for him if he's the centerpiece.....no way, he's not that good.

I think we should roll out 4 years $40million, with 2 years guaranteed. I think Koufos might be too much to give up. I'd rather trade Tolliver lol

I dont know much about Motiejunas so read his 2011 nbadraft.net profile. This made it sound like hes an excellent shooter, good passer, but not a defensive presence. He is also Cousins age which could make for a decent pairing. Anyways if his health is not a concern and we can get him with a decent return? why not.

After Houston released him outright and Brooklyn can't sign him anymore, I can see him signing a make good league minimum contract for the remainder of the year with a team that needs a power forward and can give him some good minutes.

I think vlade would have some pull with him. Let's take a flyer on this guy and pray for the best!

Link to the @espn latest on Donatas Motiejunas' recent audition for the Lakers co-scribed with @Ramona Shelburne --> es.pn/2hpmKX4

Definitely worth a kick of the tires just to see what he can bring, He is a legit 7 footer with post moves and touch from 3. He probably won't cost much and with our hole at the 4/5 we can offer more playing time than alot of other teams, maybe even a starting spot, on a "playoff" team. He needs the exposure for his next contract and we need talent, win win for both sides. Plus the euro connection with Vlade. Make it happen!!

And again Vlade seems to be Ok with a wait and see aproach instead of taking chances to improve the talent base.
But what are we waiting for?
Dmo is a legit NBA player, can potentially be signed for cheap and provides a lot of things KK and WCS are unable to do.
To bring him in to get first Hand info about his back is just the obvious thing to do.
But somehow the Kings don't want to follow the obvious path.

There is another "players cant be traded until" deadline coming up on January 15th. Maybe we will see something happen. The following is a list of those players.

Nicolas Batum (Hornets)
Bradley Beal (Wizards)
Tarik Black (Lakers)
Mike Conley (Grizzlies)
Allen Crabbe (Trail Blazers)*
Jamal Crawford (Clippers)
DeMar DeRozan (Raptors)
Andre Drummond (Pistons)
Evan Fournier (Magic)
Manu Ginobili (Spurs)*
Maurice Harkless (Trail Blazers)
LeBron James (Cavaliers)*
Tyler Johnson (Heat)*
Meyers Leonard (Trail Blazers)
Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks)*
Miles Plumlee (Bucks)
Austin Rivers (Clippers)
J.R. Smith (Cavaliers)
Lance Thomas (Knicks)
Marvin Williams (Hornets)
Tyler Zeller (Celtics)

those with an * can nix a trade.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There is another "players cant be traded until" deadline coming up on January 15th. Maybe we will see something happen. The following is a list of those players.

Nicolas Batum (Hornets)
Bradley Beal (Wizards)
Tarik Black (Lakers)
Mike Conley (Grizzlies)
Allen Crabbe (Trail Blazers)*
Jamal Crawford (Clippers)
DeMar DeRozan (Raptors)
Andre Drummond (Pistons)
Evan Fournier (Magic)
Manu Ginobili (Spurs)*
Maurice Harkless (Trail Blazers)
LeBron James (Cavaliers)*
Tyler Johnson (Heat)*
Meyers Leonard (Trail Blazers)
Dirk Nowitzki (Mavericks)*
Miles Plumlee (Bucks)
Austin Rivers (Clippers)
J.R. Smith (Cavaliers)
Lance Thomas (Knicks)
Marvin Williams (Hornets)
Tyler Zeller (Celtics)

those with an * can nix a trade.
Hmmm! There's a couple of guys on that list that might help the Kings...:rolleyes:

Oh well now it's 1 year for the league minimum for the Pelicans.
The window to shake things up and to cash in on our expirings is closing fast, but somehow we are waiting and I simply don't understand what we are actually waiting for.
I'm all for the vision of winning through team work and effort and not solely due to talent. I can easily get behind a hard working, scrappy, defensive team.
But if we want to play like that, we need pieces, that actually fit nicely and players, who give their all for the team.
As much as I like KK - he doesn't fit with DMC. Do Gay, Ben, WCS, Afflalo or DC really give everything for the team right now?
Every day I check this forum and hope we finally do something to aquire better fitting players or take some calculated risks to improve the team.But nothing happens.....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And again Vlade seems to be Ok with a wait and see aproach instead of taking chances to improve the talent base.
But what are we waiting for?
Dmo is a legit NBA player, can potentially be signed for cheap and provides a lot of things KK and WCS are unable to do.
To bring him in to get first Hand info about his back is just the obvious thing to do.
But somehow the Kings don't want to follow the obvious path.
We're full up on guaranteed contracts because of the kids, so would have to clear one of them to make room for a FA.