Dish v Cable

dude12

Hall of Famer
This may be in the wrong part of the forum but wasn't sure where to put it. I've been looking at switching from cable to DISH or DirectTV. My understanding though is that the Kings games on the NBA League Pass would be blacked out since they most likely are televised on Channel 34. It appears from reading the websites that none of the dish companies offer that channel....therefore, one wouldn't be able to watch any channel 34 games.

Does anyone have any insight to this? Did anyone have NBA League Pass last year along with a DISH provider? Any help would be appreciated.

Both DirecTV and DishNetwork do offer that channel. On DirecTV it is channel 656.

Games that you can currently watch on channel 34 on your cable should also be available if you switch to satellite. The blackout rules should not change unless you actually move to a different location.

Where do you live now? Within the Sacramento area?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Both DirecTV and DishNetwork do offer that channel. On DirecTV it is channel 656.

Games that you can currently watch on channel 34 on your cable should also be available if you switch to satellite. The blackout rules should not change unless you actually move to a different location.

Where do you live now? Within the Sacramento area?
I'm in the Sac State area. So what your telling me is that I would be able to watch every King's game, like the last few years with Comcast, if I switched over to one of the satellites? I really don't want to buy League Pass as I mainly just watch the Kings games. So I wouldn't miss a game as long as its televised locally?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The exact same programming as Comcast ch. 34 is available BOTH on DishNetwork and DirecTV to viewers within the Sacramento viewing area. It's channel 409 on DishNetwork.

It's channel 409 on DishNetwork.
This is good to know. I just switched from cable to Dish. Wasn't too happy with Cable, however, now I wish I would have signed up for Direct TV. Direct TV has the NFL package and Dish doesn't. At least Dish has alot more HD channels than Cable.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Isn't Direct TV the only satellite that has the MLB Extra-innings package also?

I do like the thought of more HD stations on Dish. My main hang-up was losing the ability to watch the Kings every game. Sounds like both satellites offer it. Very nice.

The exact same programming as Comcast ch. 34 is available BOTH on DishNetwork and DirecTV to viewers within the Sacramento viewing area. It's channel 409 on DishNetwork.

I believe it's actually 419.......

I'm not in front of my TV right now but I seem to recall it's 419.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, no. It's 409. I am in front of my TV right now.

EDIT: 419 is FoxSports BayArea.

:)

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Isn't Direct TV the only satellite that has the MLB Extra-innings package also?

I do like the thought of more HD stations on Dish. My main hang-up was losing the ability to watch the Kings every game. Sounds like both satellites offer it. Very nice.
At this point, I'm closing the thread because we're really not in the business of advising whether DirecTV or DishNetwork offers the better deals, etc.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
At this point, I'm closing the thread because we're really not in the business of advising whether DirecTV or DishNetwork offers the better deals, etc.

One quick note:

It is channel 409 like VF said, the only downside is that Dish and DirecTV do not get the HD feeds. It is SD on those two providers.

Warhawk

Staff member
...BUT word is they're looking into upgrading to HD in the foreseeable future...
If that's the case I would consider getting the HD package from Dish. Right now I do not because there is no programming that compels me to do so (not to start a programming discussion, but that would be a potential turning point for me). I could then put my new 56" 1080p Samsung LED DLP TV through it's paces and see what it could REALLY do! :D

I'm in the Sac State area. So what your telling me is that I would be able to watch every King's game, like the last few years with Comcast, if I switched over to one of the satellites? I really don't want to buy League Pass as I mainly just watch the Kings games. So I wouldn't miss a game as long as its televised locally?
Yes.

I live in the Sac area and have Dish Network with the NBA league pass and I get to watch every Kings game(I think you can watch every Kings game even if you don't have league pass).

As far as what's better it's a matter of opinion and either one is fine. Only difference is Direct TV must pay the NFL a fortune to be the exclusive provider of the NFL package as I would think the League is losing out on alot of people wanting to get it because they don't have D-TV.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I live in the Sac area and have Dish Network with the NBA league pass and I get to watch every Kings game(I think you can watch every Kings game even if you don't have league pass).
Kings games are blacked out on League Pass if you're within the Sacramento viewing area.

http://www.nba.com/nba_tv/league_pass.html

What is NBA LEAGUE PASS? NBA LEAGUE PASS is a regular season package that provides subscribers with games from outside their local viewing area. Don't miss a minute of live NBA action! NBA LEAGUE PASS lets you follow your favorite players, teams, and match-ups even if you are in one city and they are in another.
If you have DishNetwork, you should be able to see all but the nationally televised games (and the couple carried by News10) on Comcast, channel 409.

Last edited:
If that's the case I would consider getting the HD package from Dish. Right now I do not because there is no programming that compels me to do so (not to start a programming discussion, but that would be a potential turning point for me). I could then put my new 56" 1080p Samsung LED DLP TV through it's paces and see what it could REALLY do! :D
Wow...you and I have the exact Samsung TV. :D

Thanks VF for reopening this thread.

Warhawk

Staff member
If you have DishNetwork, you should be able to see all but the nationally televised games (and the couple carried by News10) on Comcast, channel 409.
Correct.

Every game is shown - most on channel 409, with a few shown nationally and a few on channel 10. I have found that on occasion the games are even shown on more than one of these at the same time.

You will not miss a Kings game all season if you have Comcast, Dish, or DirecTV and you live near Sacramento.

Here's a question regarding dish network. About 2 days ago, when I would go to an HD channel, its now in "stretch" mode instead of "normal" mode. So now when I go to an HD channel, the picture is in HD, however, now its stretched. Does anyone know how to change it back to "normal" mode?

Kings games are blacked out on League Pass if you're within the Sacramento viewing area.

http://www.nba.com/nba_tv/league_pass.html

My point was with or without League Pass you can still watch every Kings game if you are in the Sac viewing area.....unless you don't have Cable or Dish