Desert Island Authors Draft

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, geez, who can follow Thomas Jefferson.

Well, I've always loved biology and particularly the biology of the human body. I also loved anthropology in college (one of the three areas of my Social Sciences degree). So mix in a little murder and mayhem and you get...

Kathy Reichs

In her books you also get the contrasting backgrounds and cultures of North Carolina and Quebec. I like her predecessor in this very particular genre, but I ultimately like Reichs the best. Her characters have held my interest. I've read most of her books, but have some catching up to do.

She is a crime writer, forensic anthropologist and academic. She is a professor of anthropology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (currently on leave). She divides her work time between the Laboratoire des Sciences Judiciaires et de Médecine Légale for the province of Quebec and her professorship at UNC Charlotte. She is one of the eighty-eight forensic anthropologists certified by the American Board of Forensic Anthropology and is on the Board of Directors of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

Reichs has appeared in Tanzania to testify at the UN's International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. She has assisted Dr. Clyde Snow and the Foundation for Guatemalan Forensic Anthropology in an exhumation in the area of Lake Atitlan in the highlands of southwest Guatemala. She was a member of the Disaster Mortuary Operational Response Team assigned to assist at the World Trade Center disaster.

Reichs has written sixteen novels to date, which have been translated into 30 languages. Her first novel, Déjà Dead, won the 1997 Arthur Ellis Award for Best First Novel.

She´s also written two young adult novels named Virals (2010) and Seizure (2011) centered around Tempes´ grandniece Tory Brennan and a pack of her friends.

Not high literature, but sure a lot of fun to read!

Bibliography
Academic books
Forensic Osteology: Advances in the Identification of Human Remains (1986)

Fiction

Déjà Dead
Death du Jour
Deadly Décisions
Fatal Voyage
Grave Secrets
Bare Bones
Monday Mourning
Cross Bones
Break No Bones
Bones to Ashes
Devil Bones
206 Bones
Spider Bones
Virals
Flash and Bones
Seizure
Bones Are Forever (Not out yet-so I can‘t have it on my island :()
pm sent
Thought sure you'd mention that her character Temperance "Bones" Brennan is the inspiration for the popular TV series, Bones.

Thought sure you'd mention that her character Temperance "Bones" Brennan is the inspiration for the popular TV series, Bones.
I was going to, but then I'd have to explain that the book character and the TV character of Temperance Brennan, don't share much more than a name, a career and perhaps the same smarts and temperament. Kathy Reichs freely acknowledges that, though. I very much enjoy both.

It looks like a movie is coming out soon, but it won't be the same actors as the TV show. I think its going to be called "Bone to Pick, " maybe?

Patricia Grace
wiki

Works:

Mutuwhenua: The Moon Sleeps
Potiki
Cousins
Baby No-eyes
Dogside Story
Tu
Ned and Katina

Short story collections

Waiarik
The Dream Sleepers
Electric City and Other Stories
Selected Stories
The Sky People
Small Holes in the Silence
Collected Stories

Text for Wahine Toa

Children's books

The Kuia and the Spider/ Te Kuia me te Pungawerewere
Watercress Tuna and the Children of Champion Street/ Te Tuna Watakirihi me Nga Tamariki o te Tiriti o Toa
The geranium

Favourites:

The Sky People

alright, I'll admit that I had no idea how much literature Mz Grace has already produced and that I had in mind to just draft her on the strength of The Sky People. I'm still doing that, but the fact that she has written so many books is a nice bonus.

Patricia Grace is a Māori writer, which does reflect in her works a lot. The Sky People is a collection of short stories that are basically her attempt at writing Māori legends in a modern setting. they are wonderful to read and mostly concern the strength of community and the need to keep traditions alive in the face of modernity. her language is beautiful and the stories always open up very easily and give the reader space to think.

For my final pick, I figure I will want some books to help my marriage, self, and parenting life... so I select my favorite and most trusted source of this information:
Dr. James Dobson
Wiki Here
Books like Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Women and The New Dare to Discipline have been so important in my life. My parents read his books too and his focus on love and common sense are priceless to me.

Here's the list.
Books as sole authorDobson, James C. (2002). Bringing Up Boys: Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Men. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-5266-X.
Dobson, James C. (2010). Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice and Encouragement for Those Shaping the Next Generation of Women. Tyndale House. ISBN 978-1-77036-544-5.
Dobson, James C. (2000-09-29). The Complete Marriage and Family Home Reference Guide. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-5267-8.
Dobson, James C. (1977-02). Dare to Discipline. Bantam Books. ISBN 0-553-22841-2.
Dobson, James C. (1986-11). Dr. Dobson Answers Your Questions about Feelings and Self-Esteem. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-0621-8.
Dobson, James (1982). Dr. Dobson Answers Your Questions About Raising Children. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-0620-X.
Dobson, James (2004-10-31). Dr. James Dobson on Parenting. World Publishing. ISBN 0-88486-339-5.
Dobson, James C. (1984-11-01). Emotions: Can You Trust Them?. Bantam Books. ISBN 0-553-25751-X.
Dobson, James (2000-10-24). Life on the Edge. Thomas Nelson. ISBN 0-8499-0927-9.
Dobson, James (2004-03-09). Love for a Lifetime: Building a Marriage That Will Go the Distance. Multnomah Books. ISBN 1-59052-087-4.
Dobson, James C. (2007-04-16). Love Must Be Tough: New Hope for Families in Crisis. Tyndale House. ISBN 1-4143-1745-X.
Dobson, James C. (1996). The New Dare to Discipline. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-0506-8.
Dobson, James (2001-02-01). The New Hide or Seek: Building Confidence in Your Child. Revell. ISBN 0-8007-5680-0.
Dobson, James C. (2007). The New Strong-Willed Child. Tyndale House. ISBN 1-4143-1363-2.
Dobson, James (1987-01-01). Parenting Isn't for Cowards: Dealing Confidently With the Frustrations of Child-Rearing. Word. ISBN 0-8499-0630-X.
Dobson, James C. (2003-10-01). Parents' Answer Book. Living Books. ISBN 0-8423-8716-1.
Dobson, James (1980-07-23). Preparing for Adolescence. Vision House. ISBN 0-88449-112-9.
Dobson, James C. (2004-01). Romantic Love: How to Be Head Over Heels and Still Land on Your Feet. Regal Books. ISBN 0-8307-3238-1.
Dobson, James C. (1997-07-09). Solid Answers. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-0623-4.
Dobson, James C. (2007-05-29). Stories of Heart and Home. Tyndale House. ISBN 1-4143-1747-6.
Dobson, James (2000-06-06). Straight Talk to Men. Thomas Nelson. ISBN 0-8499-4210-1.
Dobson, James (1995-09-26). Straight Talk: What Men Should Know, What Women Need to Understand. Thomas Nelson. ISBN 0-8499-3858-9.
Dobson, James C. (1992-09). The Strong-Willed Child. Living Books. ISBN 0-8423-2335-X.
Dobson, James C. (1986-04-01). Temper Your Child's Tantrums. Tyndale House. ISBN 0-8423-6994-5.
Dobson, James C. (1981-10-01). What Wives Wish Their Husbands Knew About Women. Living Books. ISBN 0-8423-7896-0.
Dobson, James C. (2001-11-20). When God Doesn't Make Sense. Living Books. ISBN 0-8423-7062-5.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK!

The draft is complete!

For anyone who doesn't know the next step, all draft participants should PM me an ordered list of their favorite drafts. We know you'll consider your own draft #1, so only include the other 7 drafters. Once I've got a list from everybody, I'll compile it to make the playoff bracket!

OK!

The draft is complete!

For anyone who doesn't know the next step, all draft participants should PM me an ordered list of their favorite drafts. We know you'll consider your own draft #1, so only include the other 7 drafters. Once I've got a list from everybody, I'll compile it to make the playoff bracket!
Hole cow. That's going to be hard! :eek:

Great draft everyone. Thanks for so many ideas of authors (new and old) to explore!
Exactly how I feel. As if my list of "must read" wasn't long enough, lol. But I've been introduced here to some autors I either didn't know or knew little about.

I've also noted the shortcomings in my reading history, too. I need to expand my reading and have been trying to do that more recently. John McPhee was one of those exapnsion choices and I'm so glad I read one of his books and have more to read.

I may get my list in later tonight. After I watch the draft, though. ;)

Great draft really interesting to read :)

there was a few "undrafted free agents" who i whould have taken/thought about taking if i was part...

Ian Fleming, Micheal Lewis, Anna Sewell, Beatrix Potter off the top of my head....

But as i said great to read :)

I think in my opinion the steal of the draft was Robert Louis Stevenson in the 16th round great pick jalfa :)

and the biggest reach had to be Harper Lee with the second round pick Kennadog why did you take her so early? But i loved your 3rd round pick! ;)

Last edited:
I can't believe my favourite author, Mildred D. Taylor, wasn't taken! Still, some great lists. Jalfa's is my favourite, followed by Jespher's. Will be interesting to see who wins...

off the top of my head (well, nearly):
Joseph Conrad
Franz Kafka
Leo Tolstoy
George Eliot
Paul Auster
Irvine Welsh
G.K. Chesterton
Ezra Pound
Thomas Mann
William Carlos Williams
Hilda Doolittle
Mary Shelley or her husband
Jonathan Swift
Michel Houllebecq
Raymond Chandler
any one Brontë
H.P. Lovecraft
William Wordsworth
John Keats
E.M. Forster
Christopher Marlowe
William Thackeray
Samuel Richardson

my original list with numbers where I got SOME of the authors I wanted. I did not have them ranked.:
2. Agatha Christie
Douglas Adams
Stephen king (Richard Bachman)
7. Anne McCaffrey
3. Ray Bradbury
Edgar Allen Poe
10. Robert Service
Theodor Seuss Geisel
11. Dean Koontz
9. Cj Cherryh
6. Piers Anthony
1. Robert Heinlein
4. Lewis Carrol
Stan Lee
Kurt Vonnegut
Stephen Donaldson
8. Terry Goodkind
13. L. Frank Baum
Gregory Maguire?
14. Thomas Paine
15.Michael Moorcock
12. Lilian Jackson Braun
5. Shel Silverstein
Maya Angelou
Plato?
Homer
16. Aristotle
Aquinas?
17.08 - David Brin
18.01 - Walt Whitman
19.08 - Nicolas Sparks
20.01 - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Curious to see what others lists looked like.

Great draft everyone! and yea for more authors to read!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Final rankings are in, and it's official - everybody made the playoffs!

There were two ties, one for the #3/#4 seed, and one for the #5/#6 seed, which were broken by coin toss (my own quarter!) The matchups will be as follows:

#1 - Jespher
vs.
#8 - Kennadog

#2 - Capt. Factorial
vs.
#7 - jalfa

#3 - Warhawk
vs.
#6 - NoBonus

#4 - Prophetess
vs.
#5 - kingsnation

I'll begin putting up the voting threads now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was going to, but then I'd have to explain that the book character and the TV character of Temperance Brennan, don't share much more than a name, a career and perhaps the same smarts and temperament. Kathy Reichs freely acknowledges that, though. I very much enjoy both.

It looks like a movie is coming out soon, but it won't be the same actors as the TV show. I think its going to be called "Bone to Pick, " maybe?
This is a rare situation where I like the character in the TV show better than the character in the book. Plus I absolutely adore the chemistry in the TV series between Bones and David Boreanaz. ;) I like both enough, though, that I grab every book as soon as I can. Very rare that an adaptation can be so different and yet, at least to me, equally enjoyable.

Again, very nice pick.

You mentioned her predecessor. Are you referring to Patricia Cornwell?

This is a rare situation where I like the character in the TV show better than the character in the book. Plus I absolutely adore the chemistry in the TV series between Bones and David Boreanaz. ;) I like both enough, though, that I grab every book as soon as I can. Very rare that an adaptation can be so different and yet, at least to me, equally enjoyable.

Again, very nice pick.

You mentioned her predecessor. Are you referring to Patricia Cornwell?
Ys, I didn't want to mention any authors by name, while the draft was still ongoing. ;)

Final rankings are in, and it's official - everybody made the playoffs!

There were two ties, one for the #3/#4 seed, and one for the #5/#6 seed, which were broken by coin toss (my own quarter!) The matchups will be as follows:

#1 - Jespher
vs.
#8 - Kennadog

#2 - Capt. Factorial
vs.
#7 - jalfa

#3 - Warhawk
vs.
#6 - NoBonus

#4 - Prophetess
vs.
#5 - kingsnation

I'll begin putting up the voting threads now.
Ha! I lost the coin toss in Classic Kings fashion! Also, Warhawk has my favorite list... this'll be weird.

Well, I ended up at the bottom. Now that's in true Kings fashion. ;)

EDIT: Maybe we need to post something in the main threads to get people over to vote?