D(G)-League thread

I'm not concerned about Justin. When he got PT he looked like he belonged in the league and looked flat out impressive in a few games. It's not about right now for the youngster's it's about having them hit their strides at the same time in the coming years.
Well, right now OG is the starting SF for a playoff team, already a good defender, and two years younger with All-Defense potential. With the 15th pick there were basically two options if you were going to take a SF. Jackson was the safe pick due to OG's injury history, which I get, if you're going to take Giles you might want to hedge your bets. Not what I would do, I but can get it. But once OG took the floor that became a moot point. He's younger, better already, and has more upside. We can already tell the pick was a whiff. He took the wrong SF at 15.

At the time of the draft, all the medical reports about OG were projecting that he might not play at all this season (definitely not until the 2nd half).
Sure, but I was mostly referring to his performance. Sorry if I misworded it. You could definitely predict he'd be this good disregarding the timetable for his return.

Well, right now OG is the starting SF for a playoff team, already a good defender, and two years younger with All-Defense potential. With the 15th pick there were basically two options if you were going to take a SF. Jackson was the safe pick due to OG's injury history, which I get, if you're going to take Giles you might want to hedge your bets. Not what I would do, I but can get it. But once OG took the floor that became a moot point. He's younger, better already, and has more upside. We can already tell the pick was a whiff. He took the wrong SF at 15.

Sure, but I was mostly referring to his performance. Sorry if I misworded it. You could definitely predict he'd be this good disregarding the timetable for his return.
Nobody was pushing the OG narrative more than me during the lead up to the draft more than me I know he's a player. My point is that doesn't mean drafting Jackson was a mistake but I'm looking at a broader pov.

I think it is easy NOW to say OG or Kuzma were the guys to pick. Hindsight is always 20/20:) But to say Jackson is a whiff 28 games into his rookie season is too soon to make ANY kind of judgement.

I can stomach watching all the young players learn by doing because I enjoy watching them develop. What I suspect is that many calling for this will not be able to stand it and will then turn on the young players and continue to denigrate the coaching staff and front office. These other teams that are often used as examples of the "right way" to develop young players actually play Vets quite a bit.

Skal, Malachi and Jackson have been recalled from reno and are with the club today.
Well today is Dec. 15th:) I do expect to see some trades soon. I would like to see a pick added for 2018 or 2019. Heck why not both:) If I am a GM with a mid to low tier playoff team I'm thinking ZBO or Hill would look good leading a bench unit.

As we all know the Kings are very deep with young developing players. I would not be surprised to see a consolidation of talent move made. Just remember you have to give up something to get something.

I think it is easy NOW to say OG or Kuzma were the guys to pick. Hindsight is always 20/20:) But to say Jackson is a whiff 28 games into his rookie season is too soon to make ANY kind of judgement.

I can stomach watching all the young players learn by doing because I enjoy watching them develop. What I suspect is that many calling for this will not be able to stand it and will then turn on the young players and continue to denigrate the coaching staff and front office. These other teams that are often used as examples of the "right way" to develop young players actually play Vets quite a bit.
Many people wanted OG, but thought it was a reach at 10. Once we got 15 & 20 a bunch of us on another site were hoping to land him. Don't recall anyone at the time hoping for Giles or Jackson.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Regarding Jackson, he's going to have to physically develop to succeed. If he does that, he has a chance. OG is already physically developed. Can't understate that enough. Jackson has a chance. Giles has more tools and upside and I thought and still think that was a great risk/reward pick. Hope it pans out.

If I am a GM with a mid to low tier playoff team I'm thinking ZBO or Hill would look good leading a bench unit.
I don’t think anyone wants Hill at the price of this year or next.

But, it’s ludicrous to think that anyone is seeking out a 20 million dollar back point guard, let alone a low tier playoff team.

Ludicrous

I don’t think anyone wants Hill at the price of this year or next.

But, it’s ludicrous to think that anyone is seeking out a 20 million dollar back point guard, let alone a low tier playoff team.

Ludicrous
We'd be able to move him if he was expiring, but that commitment next year is a tough sell for sure.

I think Jackson will turn into a serviceable rotation player. I think it’s clear he has the work ethic and fundamental skills to make it in this league as a good two way role player once he gets confortable..but I agree that the Kings will see they bricked on that pick as far as wing players available go.

Eager to see Giles

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
James Ham‏Verified account@James_HamNBCS 3h3 hours ago

Jack Cooley (@JackCooligan45) is going off this morning for the Bighorns. 20 points, 12 rebounds in 13 first half minutes. 8 offensive boards, 2 steals and a block.
This is at least the third time this season that we've read about Cooley having a huge game and yet the d-leaguer we see most often is Samson. Don't get me wrong I like Samson but but I would like to get a good look at Cooley in a long stretch of NBA play.

Last edited by a moderator:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is at least the third time this season that we've read about Cooley having a huge game and yet the d-leaguer we see most often is Samson. Don't get me wrong I like Samson but but I would like to get a good look at Cooley in a long stretch of NBA play.
Well, given the day limit for two-way players being up at the NBA level (up to 45 days, and it feels like Sampson has used about half that), we might be seeing Cooley before too long.