Cowbell no more?

I was at the Kings game tonight versus the Lakers, and I was disheartened to see so many dang Faker fans out there. As a long-time Kings fan, I look forward to every rivalry match-up against the Lakers. I love watching the the Lakers lose and I love it even more when the Kings win.

Tonight I took my cowbell, but was silenced by one of the ushers. I was not the only cowbell in the area and apparently the usher was going around telling all the fans with cowbells that they could no longer use them. I don't believe that I was being discourteous to other fans. I only used the cowbell when the Lakers were shooting free throws and usually not longer than a 3 or 4 second bursts. According to the usher, someone had complained about the cowbells, and this was the reason that I could not continue to ring the cowbell.

I feel that the cowbell is part of the Kings-Lakers rivalry; that it has become part of the Sacramento Kings tradition. Part of me suspects that the person who complained about the cowbells was a jealous Lakers fan.

I'm tempted to write a letter voicing my complaints. I would like to continue to use my cowbell, and I don't think it's unreasonable to expect an arena to be loud. I feel like tonight the ushers silenced the true Kings fans so that the Lakers fans could enjoy a quiet arena. I don't know if I'm being unreasonable?

I saw some cowbells in action, guess it just depends on the section usher. I'm more disheartened that the laker fans had much more energy than the kings fans.

Better than last year, atleast we didnt let them get off a MVP chant, every time they tried the fans started to boo, its ok this team isnt far wawy.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Fellow kings fans are behind the ban, not NBA conspiracies. People don't like having them rung in their ears (actually can cause hearing loss if too close).

They should consider having a section of the arena where they're allowed. A seating section for people who want to bring them and make noise.

Yes they have been banned for a long time now. It wasn't long after we last played the Lakers in any kind of legitimate capacity.

LA/Sac Rivalry does not exist IMO. We have to at least contend with them before I'd go so far to say there is any remote chance of rivalry. The Lakers are far beyond us. I'm not taking anything away from my Kings here, and I'll likely get flamed for even mentioning that, but it's a fact.

In my Kings defense however, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Kobe has gone on camera and admitted to noticing Reke -- and that's great. However, we have a long way to go before we are in some kind of "Rivalry" with LA Lakers.

Haven't they been off limits for a couple years now?
I'm not sure how long, but a couple of years. Its not just at Arco either. We couldn't take any noisemakers to Staples last year, when the Kings played the Clippers.

Yes, the crowd was [much] better than last year at drowning out some of the Laker fan stuff. It still wasn't good enough. But Jason Ross was right. If we don't want so many Laker fans at the games, then Sacramento fans need to step it up and buy tickets to fill more seats with Kings supporters. As he said, the next home game against the Lakers is April 13th, buy your tickets now. :)

I actually haven't much enjoyed going to Lakers games the last couple of years, because of the numbers of Lakers fans. I'll be d*mned, though, if I'm going to just stay home and cede Arco Arena to the Laker fans.

no doubt we're not on the same level as the Lakers, but it's definitely special when they come to town and all the native Sacramentans get the opportunity to show their colors in the face of strangers from the south.

got in an argument with a dude in line for the head: if you're from LA and a Lakers fan, then I respect that; I'm third generation Sacramento--and so a Kings fan.

Last edited:
no doubt we're not on the same competitive level as the Lakers, but it's definitely special when they come to town and all the native Sacramentans get the opportunity to show their colors in the face of strangers from the south.

got in an argument with a dude in line for the head: if you're from LA and a Lakers fan, then I respect that; I'm third generation Sacramento--and so a Kings fan.

I hear you. I too am third Generation Sacramentan from my Grandparents who migrated from Mexico to El Paso, TX then to LA, CA then up this way in 1955 with my spanish only speaking father. They split off from the rest of my family who still remain in Los Angeles. Believe me, they never have any real interest in talking to us about the Kings. ...and they bleed purple and yellow.

I know we get many Laker fans that come to the games but to me, it's more that they are just Laker fans in our area that want to catch a game close to them, rather than them feeling we are any kind of rival. We had a few years of good play between the two of our teams awhile ago, but I think we need many more years of heated play between us to call us a true rival.

That being said, they can be extremely annoying when they come to Arco. I went to one of the Lakers/Kings games last year and I was so embarrassed at the way we allowed the Laker fans to take over our Arena. This happens because there aren't enough Kings fans buying the seats which leaves plenty of room for the uber annoying Laker fan who wants to spread their love with their team. I hate that, and us as Kings fans need to step up and take our Arena back. I do plan to buy tickets to the next jam.

I hope you ALL will too.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
They should consider having a section of the arena where they're allowed. A seating section for people who want to bring them and make noise.
They should work such a thing into a new arena plan, if done right it might generate a lot of interest. Use one of the sections directly behind the basket, make all seating general admission. The seats would be a little smaller and uncomfortable compared to the rest of the arena so standing room only was the expectation and you could pack more people close together, noise makers and signs would be strongly encouraged, and stack the seating so it was more vertically oriented and each row could be closer to the court so the noise was intensified. Ditch one luxury box so it was one section that ran all the way from the floor to the rafters. Make it clear that this was the cheering section and not for the feint of heart to ticket purchasers. This would be unique in the NBA, allow the Maloofs to show gratitude to the most dedicated fans and enable us to get the title of best fans in the league back in a hurry.

I am not a native Sacramentan, so does that make me less of a fan? I don't think so. I've been here in Sacramento for a good while, and have been blessed to make somewhat of an impact on this awesome city in ways that I won't get into here. I am also just as passionate for my beloved Kings as anyone else who posts here (native or not). Just saying...
don't think origin matters as much, but being a member of this community adds something meaningful to the cause of fandom: this isn't just about basketball, it's an expression of our town, our way of life, our shared experience.

Last edited:
Yes they have been banned for a long time now. It wasn't long after we last played the Lakers in any kind of legitimate capacity.

LA/Sac Rivalry does not exist IMO. We have to at least contend with them before I'd go so far to say there is any remote chance of rivalry. The Lakers are far beyond us. I'm not taking anything away from my Kings here, and I'll likely get flamed for even mentioning that, but it's a fact.

In my Kings defense however, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Kobe has gone on camera and admitted to noticing Reke -- and that's great. However, we have a long way to go before we are in some kind of "Rivalry" with LA Lakers.
What did he say about Tyreke?

What did he say about Tyreke?
Well I can't exactly quote it, but saw it last night right before the game started on Comcast. I don't have it recorded so I can only go by memory. He admitted to having followed him before we drafted him during his college ball. He also noted that when he spoke with the Maloofs following the draft, he told them that they "got the steal of the draft". He said he's very talented.

They should work such a thing into a new arena plan, if done right it might generate a lot of interest. Use one of the sections directly behind the basket, make all seating general admission. The seats would be a little smaller and uncomfortable compared to the rest of the arena so standing room only was the expectation and you could pack more people close together, noise makers and signs would be strongly encouraged, and stack the seating so it was more vertically oriented and each row could be closer to the court so the noise was intensified. Ditch one luxury box so it was one section that ran all the way from the floor to the rafters. Make it clear that this was the cheering section and not for the feint of heart to ticket purchasers. This would be unique in the NBA, allow the Maloofs to show gratitude to the most dedicated fans and enable us to get the title of best fans in the league back in a hurry.
Like Milwaukee's Squad 6? That would rock!

[yt=Squad 6]6Ur-Llqmurg[/yt]

Well I can't exactly quote it, but saw it last night right before the game started on Comcast. I don't have it recorded so I can only go by memory. He admitted to having followed him before we drafted him during his college ball. He also noted that when he spoke with the Maloofs following the draft, he told them that they "got the steal of the draft". He said he's very talented.
Nice- he has spoken about Tyreke before. After the game he said some complementary things about the team to a reporter as well, which I did not expect since it seemed to me that during the game he was not showing much respect.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Like Milwaukee's Squad 6? That would rock!
Cool, did not know they had such a thing, but yeah definitely along those lines. I was thinking how many soccer clubs do it. Looks like Squad 6 is in the corner, being behind the basket would have many extra advantages like harassing the other team during free throws and the camera attention it would bring.

Most of the Laker fans that go to Arco are bandwagon fans. The worst kind. Those types of fans only cheer for the teams that are 'popular'. They feel they need to be part of something. If the Kings were on a nice wave of winning/successful seasons those Lakers fans would be weeded out. U.S. Airways Arena in Phoenix gets them, too, when the Lakers are over there. When the Yankees and Bo Sox are in Anaheim the same thing. When the Dodgers are down in San Diego it gets bad. LOL. Here's to the Kings fans (with cowbells going off loud) and to the Kings!!!!!

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Hey now... no need to go after fans of other teams. I am sure there are plenty of Red Sox bandwagoners but having lived in both Boston and LA I can tell you that most of the Sox fans I knew in LA had legitimate Boston/New England connections and were a pretty tight knit family.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
KingsFans at Arco are very lucky in that you can bring in many different types of fan support items: signs, banners, noise makers (not cow bells apparently), and such.

We SoCal KingsFans going to Staples center are prevented from bringing into the arena ANYTHING in the way of fan support! No signs, no banners, no noisemakers, not even pom-poms or bam-bams.

Course at Clippers games the whole arena is kinda like a morgue anyway. Our group of 28 in February were by far the loudest fans in the entire Staples center, as we will again be on December 6 Clippers game.

I sympathize with the "no cowbells" ruling but IMHO it is the best thing overall. If you are frustrated and have an iPhone however, you can get some satisfaction!! There is an iPhone app "Cowbell2010" that is great!!! Have fun.

I understand the ban. Its like pumping stadium crowd noise through the speakers. Kind of weak. You can make noise without using bells. Arco is a loud stadium .. Cowbells are nice to bring fans in at the beggining ( like the Tampa Bay Rays ) but when you have seen success you shouldnt need them anymore.

As for the Laker fans in Arco .. Im sure ( in fact I know ) that there are Kings Fans who live in L.A. that go to those games as Kings fans. For a lot of people, you dont get to decide where you live and where life will take you .. do I wish there were less Laker Fans in Arco? Hell yea .. but if Kings Fans dont buy the tickets Its hard to me to really complain about it.

We SoCal KingsFans going to Staples center are prevented from bringing into the arena ANYTHING in the way of fan support! No signs, no banners, no noisemakers, not even pom-poms or bam-bams.
I wish Arco would impose this rule to all the Laker fans. They should never be allowed to handle Bam-Bams. On Laker games instead of floating them from the catwalk, instead give them to Kings fans individually. Laker jersey or shirt? No Paraphernalia. Sorry folks!

We have to keep strong and protect our house. Other Arena's are doing it, so what's the big deal? We are seriously dropping the ball here.

I'm not sure how long, but a couple of years. Its not just at Arco either. We couldn't take any noisemakers to Staples last year, when the Kings played the Clippers.

Yes, the crowd was [much] better than last year at drowning out some of the Laker fan stuff. It still wasn't good enough. But Jason Ross was right. If we don't want so many Laker fans at the games, then Sacramento fans need to step it up and buy tickets to fill more seats with Kings supporters. As he said, the next home game against the Lakers is April 13th, buy your tickets now. :)

I actually haven't much enjoyed going to Lakers games the last couple of years, because of the numbers of Lakers fans. I'll be d*mned, though, if I'm going to just stay home and cede Arco Arena to the Laker fans.
And it wouldnt be a bad thing if the Kings would keep the score close so the crowd would be more into it...it doesnt help when they are 15-20 points behind, then the 'other' fans are all into it drowning out our silence. It's not just us, it's them(Kings) too.

Bandwagon fans are so funny. I was sitting next to some douche dressed in a SF Giant jacket and hat. I was like cool, I support the giants. Then I heard him rooting for the Lakers.....WTF? I thought the Lakers and the Dodgers were essentially the same team....don't the giants and dodgers hate each other? BANDWAGON.

Nice to see some civility to long time Laker fans. :)

I have been asked many times on here, mostly by newer members...why I'm on a Kings board. I'm glad that someone mentioned respect for Laker fans that are actually from L.A. but now live in Sacramento...that's me! I was born and raised a Laker fan and lived in SoCal for my first 33 years...you can't seriously expect me to change my loyalties just because I change location. Would you?
I've given up going to Laker/Kings games at Arco, so no worries of me cheering on my team there.

And, yes, I'm also a Dodger fan! ;)
thanks for that info. no one asked or cares tho ;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So a definitive answer...Are cowbells allowed inside anymore or not?
Holy ancient thread resurrection Batman!

Definitive answer.... = who knows with new ownership/management. Its possible they might have some sort of conduct guidelines included in the season ticket packs, so maybe someone who got them might know.

So a definitive answer...Are cowbells allowed inside anymore or not?
I would think this is addressed on the arena website under prohibited items, "no noisemakers." Of course you can always call or e-mail and ask.. I think this is a league prohibition at all arenas, now.

Following items are prohibited inside of Sleep Train Arena:

• Bottles or cans
  • Back packs or large bags
  • Food coolers
  • Outside food/beverages (baby food permitted)
  • Frisbees and beach balls
  • Laser pointers
  • Any noise making devices (i.e. air horns, whistles, drums, etc.)
  • Fireworks
  • Illegal drugs and alcohol
  • Audio/Video recording devices
  • Weapons and dangerous devices of any kind
  • Any other items deemed unacceptable by Arena Management
- See more at: http://www.sleeptrainarena.com/info/guest-services/#sthash.S1ySgtli.dpuf