Cover Draft Playoffs - Round 1 Analog Division 2 v 15

Who has the better list of cover versions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
2. Capt. Factorial:
1.07 - Take Me To The River - Talking Heads (1978)
2.10 - Fever - Peggy Lee (1958)
3.07 - Superstar - Sonic Youth (1994)
4.10 - I Will Survive - Cake (1996)
5.07 - Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants (1990)
6.10 - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You - Led Zeppelin (1969)
7.07 - Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1989)
8.10 - Piece Of My Heart - Big Brother And The Holding Company (1968)
9.07 - It's Oh So Quiet - Björk (1995)
10.10 - One - Aimee Mann (1995)
11.07 - Hazy Shade Of Winter - The Bangles (1987)
12.10 - I Fought The Law - The Clash (1979)
13.07 - Jump - Paul Anka (2005)
14.10 - I Don't Like Mondays - Tori Amos (2001)
15.07 - The Loved One - INXS (1987)
16.10 - All Along The Watchtower - XTC (1978)
17.07 - The Candy Man - Cibo Matto (1996)
18.10 - Don't Explain - Cat Power (2008)
19.07 - Night And Day (Steel String Remix) - U2 (1992)
20.10 - Run On - Moby (1999)

vs.

15. macadocious:
1.14 - Smooth Criminal - Alient Ant Farm (2001)
2.03 - Boyz N The Hood -Dynamite Hack (2000)
3.14 - No Woman, No Cry - Fugees (Featuring Ziggy Marley) (1996)
4.03 - Try a little Tenderness - Otis Redding (1966)
5.14 - If You Think You're Lonely Now - K-Ci Hailey (1994)
6.03 - B!@#$es ain't S@#$ - Ben Folds 5 (1995)
7.14 - (Night Time Is) The Right Time - Ray Charles (1958)
8.03 - Man of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys (2000)
9.14 - 99 Problems - Hugo (2010)
10.03 - Look at Me Now - Karmin (2011)
11.14 - Pharaoh Monch - Welcome to the Terror Dome (2007)
12.03 - Sucker M.C.'s - Wu Tang Clan (1997)
13.14 - Children's Story - Black Starr (1998)
14.03 - Rappers Delight - Def Squad (1997)
15.14 - Vapors - Snoop Dogg (1996)
16.03 - Move ***** - Dan Henig (2013)
17.14 - Express Yourself - Statik Selektah ft Termanology, Talib Kweli, Consequence (2008)
18.03 - Crazy - Daniela Andrade (2014)
19.14 - Get Low - Dan Henning (2012)
20.03 - Kanye West/Jamie Fox - Gold Digger (2005)

This poll will close in 72 hours
Wednesday 11/5 at 5:57PM PST

Everyone can vote for these playoff match-ups (even if you didn't participate in the draft). Don't be shy!

Feel free to back-up your rationale here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm getting jobbed here guys. I got a top 5 pick in the 6th round
I have long pondered how to equalize for the board's general preference for rock over rap when it comes time for voting in music drafts, but have never figured out a system that normalize things.,

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I have long pondered how to equalize for the board's general preference for rock over rap when it comes time for voting in music drafts, but have never figured out a system that normalize things.,
I'm not sure why it ought to be normalized for. The votes reflect the preference of the voters, right? And to some extent, these preferences reflect the difficulty of getting good songs in the draft, because the more the preference, the more people are generally vying for the top songs. To invent an extreme example, imagine that I was a devoted aficionado of accordion polka music. If so, I could probably put together a list with the absolute 20 best accordion polka covers in the world - nobody else would even threaten my top-20 list. That list would then go on to get no votes because nobody would appreciate it. Should I get credit under those circumstances for putting together the best-ever list of accordion polka covers, even if nobody else likes it?

LOL, I was kidding. I didn't even realize there was voting after this until we started. I think I had like 3-4 TOTAL songs from my list taken by other people. I knew that I was going to be in the minority for liking this stuff on this board. But I took what I liked, not what others liked.

Also, I don't even really like everything I took, I was struggling to even find covers about half way through. Rap just doesn't get covered very often. Or vice versa.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL, I was kidding. I didn't even realize there was voting after this until we started. I think I had like 3-4 TOTAL songs from my list taken by other people. I knew that I was going to be in the minority for liking this stuff on this board. But I took what I liked, not what others liked.

Also, I don't even really like everything I took, I was struggling to even find covers about half way through. Rap just doesn't get covered very often. Or vice versa.
Always the difficulty of trying to rank music or for that matter to make awards based on music. Popularity and record sales are metrics but how many people would argue that Britney Spears made better music than say Steely Dan? There's only so much that's subjective about art. In the end it can't really be quantified or intellectualized. It comes down to what you like and what moves you.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm not sure why it ought to be normalized for. The votes reflect the preference of the voters, right? And to some extent, these preferences reflect the difficulty of getting good songs in the draft, because the more the preference, the more people are generally vying for the top songs. To invent an extreme example, imagine that I was a devoted aficionado of accordion polka music. If so, I could probably put together a list with the absolute 20 best accordion polka covers in the world - nobody else would even threaten my top-20 list. That list would then go on to get no votes because nobody would appreciate it. Should I get credit under those circumstances for putting together the best-ever list of accordion polka covers, even if nobody else likes it?
Well that of course is the question.

The drafts are most fun when everybody is able to draft according to their tastes. Well..maybe. Trying to have a competitive draft of "the best" of something is a different sort of fun. Anyway, drafts work that way, but the voting is a foregone conclusion for some, and some people almost knowing going in they have no chance at all has always seemed problematic. But as I say, I have never figured an answer for it, so...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't think the drafts are broke. There will always be those whose tastes dictate that they don't garner a lot of votes, but the fun is in the drafting anyway, not the voting IMHO.