Cousins vs. the Bee

K

king07

Cousins is an immature baby and unlikely to ever mature. Get rid of the clown while he still has some trade value.

My wife Pamm (of course I totally agree with her) said that she is totally with Big Cuz on this one she said "you come after my Family and am gonna be all up in your face , screaming, cussing just like Cuz did" (the PG version of the quote)

The Bee did a real hatchet job stringinging together every negative clip they could find that shows Cuz in a bad light

You could probably get a similar string of neg clips with the media, from just about any star athelete, but for Bee
to put out that crap is such bullpoopoo

I think making yourself available to the media and being forced to talk to specific reporters that have their media shotgun pointed at your back and your family are two different things

Totally ignore or no comments to those questions from them
and answer all questions from Jason Jones, Katie, reporters that don't go after your family

Can the media test a player's patience? Of course. But DMC's behavior was completely out of line and 100% unacceptable. He should know better. Defending this kind of behavior is buying into the delusion that the world is out to get DMC.

This will need to be punished. Otherwise, the media will fear doing their jobs. It would give license for other players to intimidate the media when they don't like something. You are not allowed to physically intimidate a person with whom you work because you do not like what they said. It is very basic.

Every year this organization has to deal with this garbage. It is embarrassing.

K

KingsFan80

My wife Pamm (of course I totally agree with her) said that she is totally with Big Cuz on this one she said "you come after my Family and am gonna be all up in your face , screaming, cussing just like Cuz did" (the PG version of the quote)

The Bee did a real hatchet job stringinging together every negative clip they could find that shows Cuz in a bad light

You could probably get a similar string of neg clips with the media, from just about any star athelete, but for Bee
to put out that crap is such bullpoopoo

I think making yourself available to the media and being forced to talk to specific reporters that have their media shotgun pointed at your back and your family are two different things

Totally ignore or no comments to those questions from them
and answer all questions from Jason Jones, Katie, reporters that don't go after your family
Their questions aren't fair to ask but they are going to ask them. He needs to control himself. He not only represents himself but the whole organization. This looks bad. The story is on ESPN right now and 98% of the nation has no clue the questions asked, all they know is Cousins did what he did. He needs to just walk away and not answer it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah. One of the more petty, vindictive, snarky guys around. Sadly the things he says about the Niners have proven to be true lol. It's just the way he goes about things and the angles he takes
Yeah, I was going to say that he goes after anything 49'ers. As a Niner fan, you hated reading anything by him because it was always critical. Unfortunately, as you said, most of what he wrote happened to be true. Snarky is a good description. In this case with Cousins, right or wrong doesn't matter as far as the Kings are concerned. It's all about image, and the image of Cousins towering over a little sixty year old reporter and shouting profanity's is not the image the Kings want going viral nationally.

Cousins can be a big bully at times. I've seen it on the court with his teammates. He is a polarizing person and sometimes his attitude gets more than tiresome. I would advise not to get on the wrong side of reporters. They have the bully pulpit, and will use it every chance they get. I might add, it would be in his best interest not get traded to any big market team on the east coast, because, as someone pointed out, the criticism he gets in Sacramento is nothing compared to what he would get in Chicago or New York.

Maybe it's just me, but I think fans need to take hard look at the entire situation with Cousins and ask yourselves, do I really think that he's always right? Is everything that happens always someone else's fault? Does every reporter that writes a critical story have a vendetta against him? Do we automatically excuse everything Cousins does because he's a great player, and we don't want him to leave. At some point, does it really matter who is right, and who is wrong? That the entire situation has gotten bigger than the cause. At some point, don't you get tired of the whole dammed thing? Or is it just me?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Take Cousins out of the equation. Make the player Darren Collison or Rudy Gay instead. I don't have a problem with the reaction or behaviour.

These guys are forced to speak to people that often @#$% on them in print. If somebody was writing about my personal life and/or family and I didn't like what they wrote, I'd confront and call them out too. The players shouldn't be the only ones "accountable" for their behaviour.

I know some of the Cousins haters are going to jump all over this because, well, it's DeMarcus Cousins. But they are hypocritical because most if not all those same people get riled up on this very site when they are called out for their opinions or if they feel singled out, disrespected or picked on. And that's while under the guise of an alter ego when nobody really knows who you are.

Some will undoubtedly say "he's a professional and didn't have to choose this line of work if he doesn't like it". So what? Still doesn't matter. These players are still human and have every right to stand up for themselves if they feel victimized or disrespected. Furthermore, I think they have every right to try to control the interview since we all know many of the things they say are often taken out of context or purposely twisted for an agenda. I'm certain that's precisely why Cousins didn't want to talk with certain individuals.

Again, I don't care what player this was. I still feel the same about it.
first off, I would be upset it it was Gay, Collison, or any Kings player. That's not the image I want for the Kings. Cousins problem, is that it's almost always about him. Do you get that?????? Gay wasn't in a club with Barnes getting into a fight. Cousins was!!!!!!! Gay wasn't in a club with Cousins brother. Cousins was!!!!! There's a video of Cousins on YouTube mocking George Karl. Not Gay, not Collison, but Cousins!!!!!! No I don't like Karl as a coach and I played ball for coaches I hated, but I didn't make a video of me mocking them. Cousins has some problem, and if you ignore them, look the other way, simply because of his on court abilities, then you become an enabler.

No one on this forum has defended Cousins more than I have, going all the way back prior to our drafting him. I think he was treated unfairly back then, and only half the story was told on may occasions. But the fact that his image was misrepresented at times, doesn't mean that we can't point out when he's in the wrong. He doesn't get a free pass. He doesn't get to rewrite the rules of civility. In my world, if someone says something critical of me, I go ask them why? I try and find out what their beef is. I don't go and physically threaten them. I used to, in highschool. But I'm not in frigging highschool anymore, and neither is Cousins.

If you want to control an interview, then don't give them anything critical to write about. Cousins is being paid millions of dollars to be a professional. Both on the court, and in the locker room. If someone asks a question you think is stupid, or unfair, just refuse to answer it and say next question. If a reporter has been overly critical of you, go give them a big hug, tell them you love them, and ask them if they would like a one on one with you to straighten out some of the errors they've written. Point is, there are ways to handle situations like this one other than physically threatening a reporter with the camera's running. That was just plain stupid.

Can the media test a player's patience? Of course. But DMC's behavior was completely out of line and 100% unacceptable. He should know better. Defending this kind of behavior is buying into the delusion that the world is out to get DMC.

This will need to be punished. Otherwise, the media will fear doing their jobs. It would give license for other players to intimidate the media when they don't like something. You are not allowed to physically intimidate a person with whom you work because you do not like what they said. It is very basic.

Every year this organization has to deal with this garbage. It is embarrassing.
Who was recording he video? Where is the unedited version? The bee only showed what they wanted.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Presumably because apparently the guy is pushing for him to get traded?
Read the article some time ago, but I don't recall him promoting the idea of trading Cousins, but asking the question of whether it would be in the best interests of the team long term to trade Cousins. Actually thought it was a dumb article at the time. My problem with him, and I called him out on twitter, is that he seldom takes a stand on anything, but writes every article as a question. That can work as a starter on occasion, but at some point in time, a reporter who is editorializing has to give his own point of view. He seldom does.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If you think that a newspaper is practicing poor journalism, and editorializing when they should be reporting, the consequence which is in order is to stop buying their newspaper. And, if you think that it is particularly egregious, to maybe try and influence other people to stop buying it, too.

Pesky First Amendment, indeed. Mind refreshing my memory by showing me where the First Amendment provides for consequence-free speech?
Nope, just free speech, which can come with consequences, such as people cancelling their subscriptions. Personally, I've never believed in that, because although I may taking out my anger as a particular person in an organization, I'm also hurting everyone else in that organization if it goes broke as a result of my actions. Not everyone that works at the Bee is a jerk. Just my opinion. I think people need to separate those at the Bee who report, and those that write opinion pieces. One should do their best to be accurate, while the other is known to take liberties with what they write. So take one with a grain of salt. Maybe two grains in some cases.

Yeah, I was going to say that he goes after anything 49'ers. As a Niner fan, you hated reading anything by him because it was always critical. Unfortunately, as you said, most of what he wrote happened to be true. Snarky is a good description. In this case with Cousins, right or wrong doesn't matter as far as the Kings are concerned. It's all about image, and the image of Cousins towering over a little sixty year old reporter and shouting profanity's is not the image the Kings want going viral nationally.

Cousins can be a big bully at times. I've seen it on the court with his teammates. He is a polarizing person and sometimes his attitude gets more than tiresome. I would advise not to get on the wrong side of reporters. They have the bully pulpit, and will use it every chance they get. I might add, it would be in his best interest not get traded to any big market team on the east coast, because, as someone pointed out, the criticism he gets in Sacramento is nothing compared to what he would get in Chicago or New York.

Maybe it's just me, but I think fans need to take hard look at the entire situation with Cousins and ask yourselves, do I really think that he's always right? Is everything that happens always someone else's fault? Does every reporter that writes a critical story have a vendetta against him? Do we automatically excuse everything Cousins does because he's a great player, and we don't want him to leave. At some point, does it really matter who is right, and who is wrong? That the entire situation has gotten bigger than the cause. At some point, don't you get tired of the whole dammed thing? Or is it just me?
Very well said.

Anybody notice how out of shape Cousins looks in that video? It's amazing that he can do what he does on the court because he doesn't look that strong with his shirt off.

Nope, just free speech, which can come with consequences, such as people cancelling their subscriptions.
I find this to be a naive statement. People tend to be a herd of sheep that believe whatever they read. They don't cancel subscriptions because they don't know that it's untrue or agenda driven. Not the average reader.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Their questions aren't fair to ask but they are going to ask them. He needs to control himself. He not only represents himself but the whole organization. This looks bad. The story is on ESPN right now and 98% of the nation has no clue the questions asked, all they know is Cousins did what he did. He needs to just walk away and not answer it.
It's the national story that's the point. Once again, the Kings image is taking a hit. Right or wrong doesn't matter, perception does, and the perception of the Kings, and of Cousins just got worse. In last nights game, and I know many who watched the game heard Grant say, during a timeout, with Cousins talking to an official near where Grant and Jerry were sitting, that Cousins said to the official, "If you want my respect, then you have to show me respect". Apparently Grant was worried that Cousins was very close to getting called for another technical. I'm surprised that he didn't get called for a tech if that's what he said.

Cuz isn't making any friends among'st the officials and probably not with the league in general. It appears to me that the Officials have a shorter fuse with Cuz this year, because honestly, I can think of at least three techs he got that wern't deserved. Is that unfair? Yes! Did he bring this on himself? Yes! No one wants him to succeed more than I do, and as a result, I get frustrated with him. I want to scream stop!! Your arming the enemy, can't you see that? Newtons law is "For every action, there is an equal reaction". Unfortunately, that applies to relationships as well as physics. If you threaten someone, there will be an equal response.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I find this to be a naive statement. People tend to be a herd of sheep that believe whatever they read. They don't cancel subscriptions because they don't know that it's untrue or agenda driven. Not the average reader.
Well, there were a couple of fans on this very forum that stated that they had cancelled their subscriptions because of this story. I've been around a long time, and for you to think that there aren't consequences for what people say is naive. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it does happen, and it happens every day. Mark Cuban made some political comments and suddenly people were cancelling their season tickets. Did anyone notice how empty the arena was when the Kings played there? It wasn't because it was raining outside.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Nope, just free speech, which can come with consequences, such as people cancelling their subscriptions. Personally, I've never believed in that, because although I may taking out my anger as a particular person in an organization, I'm also hurting everyone else in that organization if it goes broke as a result of my actions. Not everyone that works at the Bee is a jerk. Just my opinion...
And that's your prerogative. I do not feel that it's my responsibility to keep spending my money on a publication that doesn't represent my values or beliefs, just because the editor's administrative assistant, and the head of IT and the mail clerk aren't jerks.

Alternatively, if enough people make it clear that they are going to cancel their subscriptions because of their feelings about a particular columnist, the paper can always elect to release that columnist.

What in the world is going on....

I can't support this kind of action at all. Right or wrong, this is no way to respond. The only thing that this will accomplish is a continued assault on Cousins because the media are getting exactly what they want out of him, a negative reaction. It will continue to feed our negative and even worse, incompetent, image around the league and to the general viewing public. I understand the media intentionally publishes things that will upset people (or in this case, 1 person), but they are given freedom to essentially write anything they want. As a player, you have to understand that, and if there is a line that is crossed by the media, then you have to take a much more professional approach to it (maybe go through the organization, have them take your side of the story and file an official complaint).

This incident is one of many for Cousins, and I have let most of them just slide right on by, usually by finding some sort of excuse (he's young, he will learn, sick of all the losing, doesn't like the coach, doesn't like the GM, etc.), but this is just past the boiling point for me. There is a point when the talent does not outweigh the trouble, and that point was just crossed. We aren't winning, we continue to have trouble off the court, on the court, and in the locker room. I've said this before, but we have essentially shipped out all of the players and decision making personnel from seasons past to the point that this roster is vastly different than it was even just 2 seasons ago. However, all of the same problems continue to plague us and there is really only 1 constant in all of them, and that's Cousins.

I have no connection of any kind to Sacramento. I've never been there, I have no family there, I don't even have a friend there, but no one player should be above what's written on the front of the jersey and the team that he plays for. Cousins works for the Kings, not the other way around. I think it's time we found him a new home. As talented as he is, I am tired of this team always being in the news for all the wrong reasons. I would much rather root for a team that loses 60 games, but stays out of trouble and gives it their all every game than a team like this.

Well, there were a couple of fans on this very forum that stated that they had cancelled their subscriptions because of this story. I've been around a long time, and for you to think that there aren't consequences for what people say is naive. I'm not saying its right or wrong, but it does happen, and it happens every day. Mark Cuban made some political comments and suddenly people were cancelling their season tickets. Did anyone notice how empty the arena was when the Kings played there? It wasn't because it was raining outside.
Not in any defense of Mark Cuban, but that team sucks. I wouldn't go seem them play either.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Not in any defense of Mark Cuban, but that team sucks. I wouldn't go seem them play either.
But...

... I would much rather root for a team that loses 60 games, but stays out of trouble and gives it their all every game than a team like this.
I guess the Mavericks just don't have enough fans like you? Or do they? I'm confused.

dude12

Hall of Famer
This video is just spliced together propaganda. Sure Cousins can handle stuff in other ways but I'm more pissed at the Sac Bee than Cousins. Furillo and Voison are terrible. They go beyond reporting. It's pre planned hit pieces....and now there is a spliced up video that may lead to a suspension. Not a good look for the Sac Bee but of course, the national media could care less about the Sac Bee and its once again open season on the Kings.

But...

I guess the Mavericks just don't have enough fans like you? Or do they? I'm confused.
In the 2nd statement, I meant only the Kings, even though it came out as a general statement. I don't follow any other teams so I have no reason to watch the Mavs play, even if they were good. It's the Kings or nothing for me.

Sorry Cuz, while the Bee might be total garbage and out on a witch hunt you need to pick your battles more wisely. His brother was mentioned for context relating to another issue HE was connected to while in a club. Completely understandable. Time to grow up and be a professional. I can't see a single excuse for him going off like that if this was indeed the straw. I understand it was probably built up but c'mon, you can't do that crap in any professional environment.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
In the 2nd statement, I meant only the Kings, even though it came out as a general statement. I don't follow any other teams so I have no reason to watch the Mavs play, even if they were good. It's the Kings or nothing for me.
I'm still confused: do you think that the Mavericks should have more fans to come out to watch them, despite being sorry, as long as they stay out of trouble, or nah?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Sorry Cuz, while the Bee might be total garbage and out on a witch hunt you need to pick your battles more wisely. His brother was mentioned for context relating to another issue HE was connected to while in a club. Completely understandable. Time to grow up and be a professional. I can't see a single excuse for him going off like that if this was indeed the straw. I understand it was probably built up but c'mon, you can't do that crap in any professional environment.
The thing is, here is where I'm at right now: I agree with every word of your post, and I still think that the Bee was in the wrong.

I'm still confused: do you think that the Mavericks should have more fans to come out to watch them, despite being sorry, as long as they stay out of trouble, or nah?
It depends on how the fans feel.... a young team losing 60 games is still more fun to watch than an older than dirt team made up of really really bad signings. Since the Mavs are really poorly constructed (and mostly by design) and old, I think it serves them right to have such a low amount of fans turn out for game. This is pretty much how it goes for most teams. If you stink, fans don't show up and stay home. For all you and I know, maybe most just stay home and watch from home instead of paying extra to go to the game.

See, I don't go to games, as in go to an arena, (seeing as I live thousands of miles away) so my "watching" does not equal to "going to games," if that makes sense. The two statements that you conveniently singled out are talking about 2 very different things. I didn't elaborate on that because I didn't think I needed to. Does that satisfy your needs?

The thing is, here is where I'm at right now: I agree with every word of your post, and I still think that the Bee was in the wrong.
You aren't the only one that thinks that, but at some point, it has to end. So far, as messed up as the Bee has been, the national media has 99% of the time blamed Cousins AND the Kings. We always come out of these issues as the one to blame. It's ruined the organization's name (along with the losing).

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
but stays out of trouble and gives it their all every game than a team like this.
Yelling at a jerk he has a longstanding feud with is the final straw? Really? This didn't just come out of the blue. Cuz got himself in a situation in New York (thx Matt!), an old enemy took the opportunity to doubtless say all kinds of nasties, demand that the bad guy get traded, and apparently involve Boogie's little brother in it too. Now we get the response. Oh, and the Bee making sure to publicize it as much as possible. Great friend of the franchise that they are. The whole saga sucks, but its easy to follow along.

A lot of problems with the media stem from exactly the idea of the "bully pulpit". And it means that basically this small set of people get to take shots at you, or in this case even your family, in a very public way, and you are never allowed to respond. That would get old in a hurry for me, and I pride myself on having an elephant hide and the ability to fight back. If I were thin-skinned and lacked the rhetorical ability to strike back, and indeed was restricted from doing so by contract... But hey, I always root for some movie star to just go ham and beat the living hell out of the paparazzi too. I'd represent them free in court if they did.

BTW, you have your team that gives it their all every game. And they are not half bad. Fans continuing to not get behind maybe the hardest working bunch in a decade or more is beginning to get old. This is the group that is finally together behind a tough minded coach. They are bringing it consistently. They are a threat to become only the 3rd non-Adelman team to ever make the playoffs. They deserve a lot more respect than they are getting.