Cousins' training

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Good to see. Thanks for posting.

I really do think Cousins has more talent, and a higher ceiling then anyone else on our team, as well as any center in the league. He can be downright scary if he ever reaches near his full potential.

He has the tools, and body to be a bigger, more dominant version of Webb, who can control the flow of a game. He has a better arsenal then Webb had at a far younger age. Is just as good of a passer, and with maturity will cut out the TO's.

Has a more fluid stroke then Webb had until late in his career with us. Has the size and instincts to be a better rebounder, and possibly the best in the league at some point. I thought last year his conditioning was the reason for not getting more rebounds, or finishing in the post late in games. That will change with time.

Also think he can be a better defender then Webb. Will he get there? Who knows. It'll be fun to watch over the coming years. But the talent is there, and he never had athleticism as a crutch as Webb did, or many in the league do. He developed his all around game at a young age, and that will pay off big time down the road. Somewhat like Duncan. His post game was always far more mature then his years, and never relied on athleticism.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think he may need several years of supervison in his work outs and if he is REALLY smart, maybe for the rest of his career. There is always something else that can be improved on.

If you look at if from Cousins' view, you might wonder why he has to do all the work. I think he is learning the "why." I'd like him to sit down with other big men who have been dominant including Duncan. I'll go way out on a limb and say he could be a top 5 (let me think about that) of all time at center. He'll be better than anyone else in the game now. He needs to talk to the guys who are ahead of him. They all worked hard.

I have been an off the hook fan of his since before we drafted him. Since then, I have never had my doubts. Read my old notes.

What I think we all have found out by watching interviews and the like is that he is a very nice guy. He also has his head on straight. That may sound odd but I think he knows when he has done wrong and that distances him from many other guys who have caused trouble. The problem with his temper will gradually come under control.

Work hard, Cuz, as being great might be very nice but being the greatest is sitting in front of you and it all depends on whether you bust your ***. So far, he seems to get it or at least is catching on.

Am I surprised? No.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Cousins and boxing lessons?.........Hmmm..............:D

Sounds like he's progressing. Not there yet; still doesn't totally know that he doesn't know. But going into his second year, I'll take it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Cousins and boxing lessons?.........Hmmm..............:D

Sounds like he's progressing. Not there yet; still doesn't totally know that he doesn't know. But going into his second year, I'll take it.
I found it interesting that he said he weighed the same as last season. Must have turned fat into muscle, because he looks thinner than last season in the charity games I've seen. He also looks quicker. He made JaValle McGee look foolish in one of the games.

I found it interesting that he said he weighed the same as last season. Must have turned fat into muscle, because he looks thinner than last season in the charity games I've seen. He also looks quicker. He made JaValle McGee look foolish in one of the games.
This is what puzzles me though:

In a perfect world, if he's probably 270 (which was his listed weight last season), he's totally unstoppable.
So he was 270 last season but has since gained weight and now wants to drop back to 270?

This is what puzzles me though:

So he was 270 last season but has since gained weight and now wants to drop back to 270?

Seems to infer that he'd be a lot more lean this season at 270 than last. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. He must have put on a decent amount of muscle so far over the off-season.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If he does have a big step up in quickness, then maybe he can guard power forwards. That would give this team a lot more versatility.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Cuz is going to be such an effin' monster!

Glad to see he's working hard this offseason. I predict 15/11/3.5 from him in his sophomore year, at the very least!

Good to see. Thanks for posting.

I really do think Cousins has more talent, and a higher ceiling then anyone else on our team, as well as any center in the league. He can be downright scary if he ever reaches near his full potential.

He has the tools, and body to be a bigger, more dominant version of Webb, who can control the flow of a game. He has a better arsenal then Webb had at a far younger age. Is just as good of a passer, and with maturity will cut out the TO's.

Has a more fluid stroke then Webb had until late in his career with us. Has the size and instincts to be a better rebounder, and possibly the best in the league at some point. I thought last year his conditioning was the reason for not getting more rebounds, or finishing in the post late in games. That will change with time.

Also think he can be a better defender then Webb. Will he get there? Who knows. It'll be fun to watch over the coming years. But the talent is there, and he never had athleticism as a crutch as Webb did, or many in the league do. He developed his all around game at a young age, and that will pay off big time down the road. Somewhat like Duncan. His post game was always far more mature then his years, and never relied on athleticism.
Thats a very homer-like take on him.

Higher ceiling than any center in the league? C'mon now did you forget Dwight Howard was still playing?

Better passer than Webb? Webb was doing behind the back 20ft bounce passes while on a full court break in college. Cousin's is a good passer but he's no where near Webb. If he can get to Vlade's passing ability that'll be great but I don't think he can do it without creating a lot of turnovers.

Webb wasn't the best defender but Cousin's is really bad. I know it was his rookie year but he was awful on defense. Just him getting to adequate would be a miracle.

Dwight Howard is so overrated.
I agree with this statement. Dwight is one knee injury away from being mediocre. As of right now, he gets along on pure athleticism. His offense has not grown at a significant rate whatsoever. Dwight is still a force to be reckoned with, but his skillset is far different than what Cousins utilizes. He already has offensive skills Dwight can only dream of, and it is up to Cousins to take himself to the highest level he can. The only question that remains to be answered is will he. To the post above, Cousins is a very gifted passer, and more of that will come out as he eases up on the turnovers and learns the NBA game more. Whether or not he is on C-Webb's level is a little early to determine, but he has most certainly shown flashes.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Higher ceiling than any center in the league? C'mon now did you forget Dwight Howard was still playing?

Better passer than Webb? Webb was doing behind the back 20ft bounce passes while on a full court break in college. Cousin's is a good passer but he's no where near Webb. If he can get to Vlade's passing ability that'll be great but I don't think he can do it without creating a lot of turnovers.

Webb wasn't the best defender but Cousin's is really bad. I know it was his rookie year but he was awful on defense. Just him getting to adequate would be a miracle.
At least your keeping a positive attitude... By the way, Webb wasn't as good a passer as Cousins is right now when he came into the league. Nor was Vlade. Its called improvement. Overall, if you compare Webb and Cousins at the same stage of their careers, Cousins is far more skilled. Where Webb had the advantage was with his athleticism. Webb had little or no jumpshot when he came into the league. We're really comparing apple's and oranges. Webb was a PF and Cousins is a center. I think Cousins has the ability to be one of the top 2 or 3 centers in the league. Its not going to happen tomorrow, but if he continues to work hard, it will happen.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Ignoring any issues of salary, cap space and the like, how many people would want to trade Cousins for Howard right now.

I would if all of those issues are gone. Howard had proven himself to be the dominant center, Cousins has potentials to be one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ignoring any issues of salary, cap space and the like, how many people would want to trade Cousins for Howard right now.
Call me crazy, but I'd have to think long and hard about it. Howard is an insane athlete, but Cousins brings so many intangibles with his skill level. I'd rather just wait till next year and try and sign Howard and pair him with Cousins.

I would if all of those issues are gone. Howard had proven himself to be the dominant center, Cousins has potentials to be one.
Ithink Cousins has the potential to be more than what Dwight is. I havent seen anything from Dwight that makes me think that he can lead a team to a championship. He can be a factor in a team winning a championship, but i dont see him being the one who takes the rein and being a leader, simply because he doesnt have the mental abilities to do so. I think Cousins has that potential. Some things you cant mask or compensate for with athleticism, and Cousins demonstrates some of those intangibles that can make him a formidable leader down the road. Just for fun, I think if Dwight suddenly acquired the skills/BBIQ that Cousins has, then i would have no doubts that he would be the #1 player in the league by far. But in this reality he doesnt, but Cousins does. He has the next decade or so to improve his conditioning, and if he stays on the path hes only going to get better/smarter in the game of basketball. He can go far, a lot further than where i think Dwight can go.

People stated he doesn't have much offensive talents (multiple ways of scoring I assume) but from my perspective if that one move gets him 20ish points/high 50% I take it. Will Cousins skills and talents developed and be better? Maybe but I'll take the 20ish/high 50% player.

A defensive player of the year for three years straight is not something you can learn or easily accomplished. Even if the points was cut in half the defense is enough for me to take him over Cousins. Just a rare defensive center that doesn't come often and maybe I'm the few but I would not pass that for potentials.

I wouldn't wait and risk the chance of losing him next year either. ;)

The reason Orlando doesn't have a championship in the last few years isn't Howard's fault. He can make a team good just by surrounding him with 3 point shooters and leaving him alone in the middle. After all that's what Orlando did and they failed to do more just like Cleveland.

People stated he doesn't have much offensive talents (multiple ways of scoring I assume) but from my perspective if that one move gets him 20ish points/high 50% I take it. Will Cousins skills and talents developed and be better? Maybe but I'll take the 20ish/high 50% player.

A defensive player of the year for three years straight is not something you can learn or easily accomplished. Even if the points was cut in half the defense is enough for me to take him over Cousins. Just a rare defensive center that doesn't come often and maybe I'm the few but I would not pass that for potentials.

IMO Cousins can be a better player than Dwight (or has the potential to be), but he may still have less of an impact on a game. Like you said, Dwight's defense is going to change the game a lot. Pair the two and you'll have a pretty unstoppable front court.

Cuz is going to be such an effin' monster!

Glad to see he's working hard this offseason. I predict 15/11/3.5 from him in his sophomore year, at the very least!
I would even venture to say he will score more..

Predicted 13/9 or 14/10 (with a block to a block and a half) last year depending on if he started halfway through the season.. Was pretty spot on with that.

This year I will go with 18ppg 10rpg 2.5apg and a block and a half per game.

I agree that Cousins can be better all around (at center) than Howard. Howard does one thing very well (offensively).. Get in side by bullying and then slamming it in the opponents face.. Take his "in the paint" game away and Howard is useless offensively. Defensively though he's pretty nice to have.

As for passing better than Webber.. I think he can be "as good" but I don't think anyone will ever be better than Webber at PF when it comes to passing.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

The main attribute that Cousins has that Howard doesn't, is the ability to make the other players on his team better. Howard may be able to score 20 something points a game, but I have no doubt that in the near future so will Cousins. Cousins is a very good rebounder and he'll only get better. Cousins is a far better ballhandler than Howard ever dreamed of being. Then you come to passing the ball. This is where Cousins has the ability to make his team better. Cousins will never match Howard defensively, but in time I think he'll be a good defensive player.

The grass isn't always greener. Besides, you don't give up a player with as much potential as Cousins after just one year.