Cousins extension?

Do you agree with the extension?

• Total voters
Little talent but a fantastic assortment of 3-and-D role player dudes (Jamario Moon, Quentin Richardson, Dorell Wright, etc) , old washed up former all-stars milking the last couple of ounces of success from their brittle bones (Jermaine O'Neal and Shawn Marion at various times), scrappy defensive role player big men who knew how to stay out of D-Wade's way on offense (a surprisingly productive Udonis Haslem and Joel Anthony), rookie Michael Beasley back when people thought he could one day become an all-star, and of course Pat Riley and Eric Spoelstra running the show and grit-and-grinding their way to victories. Those two teams are an amazing display of what proper roster construction and system design to maximize your star's strengths can do. As with almost any Pat Riley squad the defense was smothering and Wade and his role players provided just enough points to win.

It's still a minor miracle that Wade managed to will those squads to as many victories as they had but let's not pretend Wade had to deal with PDA level incompetency here and one can argue that Vlade is trying to construct a similar situation here (surround the star with gritty role players, play defense, hope to score enough points to win).
Which is how I think if you are going to build around Cousins, surrounding him with 3 and D players is the most effective way to build a winner similar to what the 76ers did with Iverson. The execution on Vlade's part however has been fruitless considering this team is worse defensively this year than it was last year when half the team quit half way through the season.

Which is how I think if you are going to build around Cousins, surrounding him with 3 and D players is the most effective way to build a winner similar to what the 76ers did with Iverson. The execution on Vlade's part however has been fruitless considering this team is worse defensively this year than it was last year when half the team quit half way through the season.
100% agree.

I think we need to look a little harder at the Stan Van Gundy method of building a team. It amazes me that we haven't been able to acquire more 3 pt threats with the league clearly trending in that direction. This is part of why Rudy doesn't fit on our team, and maybe even most teams. Cousins needs to be paired with multiple shooters and defensive guys ASAP, and I don't think we'll be very competitive until we find a way to fill those holes.

100% agree.

I think we need to look a little harder at the Stan Van Gundy method of building a team. It amazes me that we haven't been able to acquire more 3 pt threats with the league clearly trending in that direction. This is part of why Rudy doesn't fit on our team, and maybe even most teams. Cousins needs to be paired with multiple shooters and defensive guys ASAP, and I don't think we'll be very competitive until we find a way to fill those holes.
it's certainly a bit eye-popping that demarcus is taking more three's per game than any other king, and making them at a better clip than every king except collison, temple, and tolliver.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We are unable to pick and choose free agents as free agents see Sacramento as a hell hole. This is a huge disadvantage for Sacramento/Vlade. I think it is crucial that we make the playoffs. Although there are signs that our franchise is settling down into sanity, I doubt very much that NBA players are analyzing us closely. A playoff spot would get their attention in a positive sense.

We are unable to pick and choose free agents as free agents see Sacramento as a hell hole. This is a huge disadvantage for Sacramento/Vlade. I think it is crucial that we make the playoffs. Although there are signs that our franchise is settling down into sanity, I doubt very much that NBA players are analyzing us closely. A playoff spot would get their attention in a positive sense.
I think the only way legit free agents will look at Sac as a legitimate destination is if they are in title contention. The Pelicans made the playoffs with Davis and only attracted mid level free agents comparable to the Kings.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I think the only way legit free agents will look at Sac as a legitimate destination is if they are in title contention. The Pelicans made the playoffs with Davis and only attracted mid level free agents comparable to the Kings.
We might as well fold up our tents and go home. Do you know the last time this franchise won a championship? I will stick with my opinion. I think there are selected players, like many on the national team, who would want to play with Boogie. It only takes one other star for us.

dude12

Hall of Famer
We might as well fold up our tents and go home. Do you know the last time this franchise won a championship? I will stick with my opinion. I think there are selected players, like many on the national team, who would want to play with Boogie. It only takes one other star for us.
Seriously.....we have one star, we have some good role players, we just need another to choose us to really turn this around. Just one.

Seriously.....we have one star, we have some good role players, we just need another to choose us to really turn this around. Just one.
And I think that star should have positive leadership qualities. Webber functioned so well b/c we had Divac's personality- the yin to his yang. Rudy, although super talented, is like forcing similar poles of a magnet together.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
And I think that star should have positive leadership qualities. Webber functioned so well b/c we had Divac's personality- the yin to his yang. Rudy, although super talented, is like forcing similar poles of a magnet together.
Gay doesn't fit our offense. I'd love Wall or Bledsoe for their abilities and for their friendship with Boogie. Of course there are more so I am not limiting it to two. Boogie seems to have a bond with many members of the national team..

L

Lopes

So debate! That's not a very strong statement when discussing the most impactful player we have had in a long, long time.
He has yet to draw FAs to the team to help his cause. I guarantee if the other players in the NBA believed he was the key to a championship they would come. Sure ownership was terrible but the last few years nada. I guarantee if he was sooo good we'd Matthews would have signed on to win

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He has yet to draw FAs to the team to help his cause. I guarantee if the other players in the NBA believed he was the key to a championship they would come. Sure ownership was terrible but the last few years nada. I guarantee if he was sooo good we'd Matthews would have signed on to win
So you don't think the never-ending carousel of coaches has had anything to do with it either?

Even in the best of times, quality FAs don't rush to Sacramento. To act as though Cousins has to turn that around to prove his worth is ludicrous.

L

Lopes

So you don't think the never-ending carousel of coaches has had anything to do with it either?

Even in the best of times, quality FAs don't rush to Sacramento. To act as though Cousins has to turn that around to prove his worth is ludicrous.
Yes,but you think Cousins is not at fault?

Yes,but you think Cousins is not at fault?
The Kings couldn't draw FAs when they were a title contender in the early 2000s. So it doesn't surprise me that they can't draw FAs when going coaches left and right, changing the entire front office twice, all after almost moving the franchise to multiple different cities.

Players like to see stability in a team. Even Labron would have probably failed to overcome all of those obstacles.

L

Lopes

The Kings couldn't draw FAs when they were a title contender in the early 2000s. So it doesn't surprise me that they can't draw FAs when going coaches left and right, changing the entire front office twice, all after almost moving the franchise to multiple different cities.

Players like to see stability in a team. Even Labron would have probably failed to overcome all of those obstacles.
Labron most definitely would have.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
No, Lebron would have jumped ship at the first opportunity. He would not have felt any obligation to stay with a franchise that was such a mess. Oh wait...
By Cuz saying he would re-sign, my enthusiasm and willingness to take part in this forum has returned. Cuz doesn't need money but apparently he needs Sacramento. I probably went overboard with that comment but he said many years ago that he wouldn't leave Sacramento. I know Bricklayer doesn't believe that or didn't believe that but that's what he said. (Sorry, Brick) He doesn't like to be on a losing team but he has stated that he feels at least in part responsible. He thinks that he should be able to drag this team out of the depths of hell. I think Cuz would make a good story for someone who can think deeper than whether or not a player has muscular abs.