Cousins extension?

Do you agree with the extension?

• Total voters
You max out Boogie and be done with it.
Why should we (Vlade) do that? 35-40M per year over 5 years is NOT enough for a guy who doesn't make teammates better...who argues incessantly with refs....and gets into night club brawls and drunkenly brags about it to TMZ?!?!

Sorry but I don't see this as part of Curry or LeBron's or Harden's resume. Just because we recognize the good, the talent, the love for the city and the progress he has made in offensive efficiency, doesn't mean we have to overlook the bad. Let me tell you something, when you engage in black and white thinking.....that is your first problem! Rarely are things black and white. Life is shades of grey.

A one-sided argument in favor or Boogie (VF21 and Bricklayer) or against Boogie (see Sactown Royalty dullards) is your first and foremost indication to question the validity of that perspective. Because black and white thinking is distorted by the perspective from the outset. Thinking in shades of grey takes effort. This is why it is resisted. But this is where the gold is mined and the insights lie. It takes effort to acclimate to new data, to inevitably of change. It is easier to remain fixed in perspective, to reject new data that does not conform to preconceived notions. In fact it is easier to skip a post amounting to 150-200 words as is this one, which is why if you made it to the end...congrats, you are ahead of the curve!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Why should we (Vlade) do that? 35-40M per year over 5 years is NOT enough for a guy who doesn't make teammates better...who argues incessantly with refs....and gets into night club brawls and drunkenly brags about it to TMZ?!?!

Sorry but I don't see this as part of Curry or LeBron's or Harden's resume. Just because we recognize the good, the talent, the love for the city and the progress he has made in offensive efficiency, doesn't mean we have to overlook the bad. Let me tell you something, when you engage in black and white thinking.....that is your first problem! Rarely are things black and white. Life is shades of grey.

A one-sided argument in favor or Boogie (VF21 and Bricklayer) or against Boogie (see Sactown Royalty dullards) is your first and foremost indication to question the validity of that perspective. Because black and white thinking is distorted by the perspective from the outset. Thinking in shades of grey takes effort. This is why it is resisted. But this is where the gold is mined and the insights lie. It takes effort to acclimate to new data, to inevitably of change. It is easier to remain fixed in perspective, to reject new data that does not conform to preconceived notions. In fact it is easier to skip a post amounting to 150-200 words as is this one, which is why if you made it to the end...congrats, you are ahead of the curve!
We are in no position to start squeezing a player of Cousins caliber when it comes time for the extension. And if we had the teammates that Curry has, we would be tremendously better. You can't compare anyone to Lebron, so why even try that. He's one of the greatest ever...not just some guy who makes his teammates better. My point made in short and concise matter.

We are in no position to start squeezing a player of Cousins caliber when it comes time for the extension. And if we had the teammates that Curry has, we would be tremendously better. You can't compare anyone to Lebron, so why even try that. He's one of the greatest ever...not just some guy who makes his teammates better. My point made in short and concise matter.
Cousins has all the leverage here unless other teams are offering said Godfarher deals....Vlade and the kings otherwise are not in a good position to deny Cousins a max deal. However, Vlade can appeal to Cousins to take a lower deal to have more to spend on help for him....which I think Cuz could go for. But if Cuz wants all the green he can get i think its a dangerous gambit to play hardball with him (listing all his negatives and saying he not worth max) as that would kill his odd loyalty to this city/organization and i would bet he would refuse to sign any extension (further lowering his trade value) and take far less money to sign elsewhere.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Cousins has all the leverage here unless other teams are offering said Godfarher deals....Vlade and the kings otherwise are not in a good position to deny Cousins a max deal. However, Vlade can appeal to Cousins to take a lower deal to have more to spend on help for him....which I think Cuz could go for. But if Cuz wants all the green he can get i think its a dangerous gambit to play hardball with him (listing all his negatives and saying he not worth max) as that would kill his odd loyalty to this city/organization and i would bet he would refuse to sign any extension (further lowering his trage value) and take far less money to sign elsewhere.
You don't mess around and try and haggle...it would be the worst thing to do.

Throwing 180M at Boogie is not squeezing him. Its offering the most lucrative contract in the history of basketball for a guy who has never, repeat never, made a playoff run. Note, not a playoff appearance, a playoff run, being within whiff of the 8th seed with 4-6 weeks in the regular season, and actually having a chance to make playoffs before last 1-2 months of the season becomes an exercise in futility and early vacation.

The guy you want to pay max to has never led his team anywhere but nowhere! There are extenuating circumstances, but Boogie himself has been at the center of it all with bickering, brooding and chronic immaturity. This is coming from fan who sees the greatness he possesses! But we need a guy who rallies teammates, stays out of trouble, respects officials including their terrible calls,, inspires those around him with tangible and intangible performance that reflects upon the win-loss record.

Boogie has come up short in this regard. He has gotten better. But not good enough. Not good enough to get 220M.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah i agree....i think you acknowledge up front that if he really wants the max he gets it....but if he takes less we will use that extra money to help him win, not to save the owners money.
No. Just no.

Boogie has stayed loyal to this franchise through thick and thin. You don't tell him we'll pay him less and use the money to get him help. You don't reward loyalty by being cheap.

Yeah i agree....i think you acknowledge up front that if he really wants the max he gets it....but if he takes less we will use that extra money to help him win, not to save the owners money.
Okay, so 175M over 5 years is not enough? Give me a break. If Boogie doesn't want that, he can go play somewhere else for 140M in a city he doesn't "love". Boogie taking less is a show of commitment to the city and organization, so we can bring in the complementary pieces to make the team great. Demanding max is an ego thing. Its unearned, undeserved, and if the front office caves to his agents demands they are saps.

No. Just no.

Boogie has stayed loyal to this franchise through thick and thin. You don't tell him we'll pay him less and use the money to get him help. You don't reward loyalty by being cheap.
How about he rewards our loyalty and his transgressions by taking less than the max? 180M out to cover his living expenses and extracurricular activities, don't ya think? The inferiority complex of this fanbase is incredulous. I think Boogie is a great player. But he is flawed. And compensation should reflect his flawed greatness.

Throwing 180M at Boogie is not squeezing him. Its offering the most lucrative contract in the history of basketball for a guy who has never, repeat never, made a playoff run. Note, not a playoff appearance, a playoff run, being within whiff of the 8th seed with 4-6 weeks in the regular season, and actually having a chance to make playoffs before last 1-2 months of the season becomes an exercise in futility and early vacation.

The guy you want to pay max to has never led his team anywhere but nowhere! There are extenuating circumstances, but Boogie himself has been at the center of it all with bickering, brooding and chronic immaturity. This is coming from fan who sees the greatness he possesses! But we need a guy who rallies teammates, stays out of trouble, respects officials including their terrible calls,, inspires those around him with tangible and intangible performance that reflects upon the win-loss record.

Boogie has come up short in this regard. He has gotten better. But not good enough. Not good enough to get 220M.
I understand that normally offering the highest contract should be enough, but the way NBA contracts go, that record can last a couple months or less. Then you see people like Tristan Thompson and mozgov making more than dmc or even Steph curry a year later. If he is maxed out, you show his loyalty and talent is rewarded by the max that you could pay, not what you are willing to pay. If he's willing to take a home town discount great, but haggling could be a sign of not showing mutual "love/loyalty".

dude12

Hall of Famer

You said it in your post but ignore it....extenuating circumstances.
If I was the GM, I would max him out and continue the process of getting better. Your head coach is in place for the next decade. Land the PG we need in FA or trade or draft and we take off.
The last time we hemmed and hawed over an all-star talent, PDA traded IT for a trade exception and a stiff. And I don't even like IT that much but I'd preferred not to trade him for zilch.

Max him out and continue the process that has been started.

Our largest problem is reputation not cap space. Teams with good reps always seem to find a way to get talent.
That's the one of the reason we should keep him and we're not going to get the same talent in return no matter what. Perhaps someone with more leadership quality, but lesser talent? I'd keep the talent, to me rebuilding around Cousins makes more sense.

You said it in your post but ignore it....extenuating circumstances.
If I was the GM, I would max him out and continue the process of getting better. Your head coach is in place for the next decade. Land the PG we need in FA or trade or draft and we take off.
The last time we hemmed and hawed over an all-star talent, PDA traded IT for a trade exception and a stiff. And I don't even like IT that much but I'd preferred not to trade him for zilch.

Max him out and continue the process that has been started.
Actually PDA never had any intention to resign Isaiah. He had his sights set on Darren Collison the entire time. So your characterization is incorrect. We never even tried to retain Isaiah. And are you telling me making Boogie the highest paid player in NBA history is "hemming and hawing"....??!?! Please.....here's 180 million over 5 years....sign on the dotted line before its too late!

I understand that normally offering the highest contract should be enough, but the way NBA contracts go, that record can last a couple months or less. Then you see people like Tristan Thompson and mozgov making more than dmc or even Steph curry a year later. If he is maxed out, you show his loyalty and talent is rewarded by the max that you could pay, not what you are willing to pay. If he's willing to take a home town discount great, but haggling could be a sign of not showing mutual "love/loyalty".
This may be true...but Boogie's overall performance which includes lack of leadership and inability to get along with refs does not warrant max contract...it warrants 85-90% of max contract....we have already been loyal to Boogie in his entire stay here....we don't need to show more loyalty when it is to detriment of adding complementary pieces.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
No. I want to start fresh. I know most will disagree, but I just don't think the Kings will ever win with Cousins.
Even if you don't think cousins is the answer for the future you can't let him walk you have to sign up and trade him. We are in the boat right now from letting Talent walk.

So we can be the next Orlando magic? Count me out
The Orlando Magic with a better coach? Haha. Yeah I don't know. It is a frustrating process. It has been a decade of absolute awful basketball. I just don't see the Kings and Cousins as a match made for winning. I get from a talent point of view it is better to have him and hope to move him, but it is extremely frustrating. I would rather just move him now for a nice package and be done with it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This is basically a very primitive I.Q. test.

You either agree with the extension or you have the basketball I.Q. of a flatworm.

That's kind of insulting to flatworms though as doing this extension is literally a no brainer. You do it automatically and it removes the Sword of Damacles many have been imagining over the Kings. Suddenly we have time to get it right. Even if you were absolutely invested in trading DeMarcus, this would let you do it later on your own terms. But that's silly. The reason this causes angst in some quarters is precisely because its franchise and franchise player hitching up to get legally married.

L

Lopes

That's the one of the reason we should keep him and we're not going to get the same talent in return no matter what. Perhaps someone with more leadership quality, but lesser talent? I'd keep the talent, to me rebuilding around Cousins makes more sense.
I hope he proves me wrong and quality teammates start flocking to the kings. Tonight the energy of the game changed following the chair tirade.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lopes

This is basically a very primitive I.Q. test.

You either agree with the extension or you have the basketball I.Q. of a flatworm.

That's kind of insulting to flatworms though as doing this extension is literally a no brainer. You do it automatically and it removes the Sword of Damacles many have been imagining over the Kings. Suddenly we have time to get it right. Even if you were absolutely invested in trading DeMarcus, this would let you do it later on your own terms. But that's silly. The reason this causes angst in some quarters is precisely because its franchise and franchise player hitching up to get legally married.
Or you just want to blow it up and start over. Better to rip the bandaid off. Sorry I don't believe in Demarcus like u do. But there are many other GMs that would agree.

K

KingsFan80

I don't think Cousins is necessarily the problem with us losing as it pertains to extension or not, I just honestly don't see how you build a winning team with the current setup. We have no draft picks, we cannot attract free agents, we have no trade bait. Cousins is really all we have so either you trade him for picks and decent players or you sign the extension and hope something changes. Bad draft decisions by the Maloofs, and now Vivek (PDA and Vlade) have set this franchise back big time.

I think Boogie is a great player. But he is flawed. And compensation should reflect his flawed greatness.
Other than maybe 5 players in the league, there will soon be many flawed great players making the max 200M. Look no further than what Conley got this offseason.
Saying i (or fans in general) have an inferiority complex behind a pretty straight forward/obvious conclusion is childish.
After you stand firm with your manly 175M over 5 years and he says "no" then what? You just screwed yourself out of either keeping him or tanked his trade value. You have no leverage.
Your same logic of "175M is plenty to live on, dont you think" still applies if he signs for half that amount somewhere else. Instead his know"flaws" will clearly lead him to take that approach as a slap in the face and he will turn on this organization and force his way out or leave us empty handed. You seem to want to play the role of his daddy and teach him lessons on how to behave properly like a Napier. Doesnt work with him. Sticks dont work with him only carrots. Dude is rich enough and will still get paid regardless to need to act in a way other than how he feels like and he is not changing unless he wants to. Its a level of freedom many wish they had honestly but dont.

Or you just want to blow it up and start over. Better to rip the bandaid off. Sorry I don't believe in Demarcus like u do. But there are many other GMs that would agree.
You can still blow it up after you sign him to the extension. It would increase his trade value because now the next team doesnt have to worry about him not signing with them.
If you want to build around DMC or want to rebuild without, signing him to an extension helps either way

No. Just no.

Its not being cheap if you turn around and spend that money on other players...its helping the team by keeping room under the cap so we have more ways of getting help. Called a team friendly deal isnt it? If the cap is suddenly so big its no issue, then sure just give him the max and move on. If on other hand its no insult to present him a plan of what we can do if he signs the max versies what we can do if he signs for a smaller amount and let him decide what to do.