Corliss on the way out?!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Chris Mannix‏ @ChrisMannixYS
Orlando interviewed Corliss Williamson on Friday, sources told @TheVertical. Both sides hopeful to reach a deal to join Frank Vogel's staff.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/747216108869025792
That's too bad. Can only imagine looking for a lead assistant spot. Rem that Vogel had somebody else back out of that position just a few days ago.

Also makes me feel slightly less good about our current staff. Corliss was the Cuz whisperer, and having 2 holdovers felt secure. Guess it opens up a spot for Doug though. :)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Hamm tweeted that according to Jeoger Corless was still part of the coaching staff if he wanted to be and that if he was leaving it was to be closer to his family not about any problems in Sac

Bricklayer

Hamm tweeted that according to Jeoger Corless was still part of the coaching staff if he wanted to be and that if he was leaving it was to be closer to his family not about any problems in Sac
I don't know which family he is referencing, but I assume Corliss's wife, if any, is here. And he was born in Arkansas. Orlando is a bit closer, but hardly on top of it.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That's fine and all but I'm curious as to why they waited until now to interview him? They couldn't do when they hired Vogel or as they were close to doing so?

Bricklayer

That's fine and all but I'm curious as to why they waited until now to interview him? They couldn't do when they hired Vogel or as they were close to doing so?
As I said above, I remember reading something a few days ago about somebody the Magic had hoped to hire as Vogel's lead assistant backing out. If my memory is not irretrievably faulty, that could explain the timing.

As I said above, I remember reading something a few days ago about somebody the Magic had hoped to hire as Vogel's lead assistant backing out. If my memory is not irretrievably faulty, that could explain the timing.
Wasn't there something about Chauncey Billups choosing not to accept the offer to be on Vogel's coaching staff?

Bricklayer

Report from this morning that Vogel pried away a longtime Spurs assistant. Don't know if that was for the same slot he was talking to Corliss about filling or not. If he got someone from the Spurs logically must have been a mini-promotion though. Maybe the guy was trying to escape the Ettore/Hammon lead assistant shadow.

Congrats Corliss I'm happy for you.

Time for the "thanks Corliss" thread maybe?

I think he's a swell guy but I don't understand any fan angst about "losing him". Let DJ pick his staff all the way. I don't see any reason to believe the Kings are substantially worse off for losing a hold-over assistant coach.

Bricklayer

Congrats Corliss I'm happy for you.

Time for the "thanks Corliss" thread maybe?

I think he's a swell guy but I don't understand any fan angst about "losing him". Let DJ pick his staff all the way. I don't see any reason to believe the Kings are substantially worse off for losing a hold-over assistant coach.
You should be. This is a little loss of a guy Cuz trusts. Cuz trusts very few. If Joerger and the rest of the staff get it right with him, and if we start winning, then it won't matter. If there are rough patches, not having Corliss could hurt.

You should be. This is a little loss of a guy Cuz trusts. Cuz trusts very few. If Joerger and the rest of the staff get it right with him, and if we start winning, then it won't matter. If there are rough patches, not having Corliss could hurt.
well ... just compare the golf videos between Karl and Joeger. On the one hand you have Karl last year in the golf cart interview, doubling down and insisting that anybody can be traded and "we are committed to Cuz IF he is committed to us" and all that ugliness. Then on the other hand you have Joerger sharing a driving range with the big fella a couple weeks ago.

I think we're good. And I sure do understand that Corliss was the dude Cuz trusted on that slimeball staff of Karl's, but that was then. This current staff won't need a dedicated Cuz whisperer.

I know this will make you mad but....

I think cuz should be beyond a "whisperer" or trustable coach. Feel, he's a star player. He's playing for great coaches at the Olympics, and should be growing up. He needs to change some things about himself outside his playing skills and maybe having new 'shooters' in terms of coaches might be a good thing. Cousin needs more good players around him not more love and "atta boys". It's about him being good.

Besides he's got you, Brick. The best big brother he could have.... (I tried to insert a winking emoji here but it didn't show up) All bets are off of course if he's got another year of Rudy Gay and Mcelmore starting with him. I loved Corliss as a player and hope cuz appreciates him from afar.

I know this will make you mad but....

I think cuz should be beyond a "whisperer" or trustable coach. Feel, he's a star player. He's playing for great coaches at the Olympics, and should be growing up. He needs to change some things about himself outside his playing skills and maybe having new 'shooters' in terms of coaches might be a good thing. Cousin needs more good players around him not more love and "atta boys". It's about him being good.

Besides he's got you, Brick. The best big brother he could have.... (I tried to insert a winking emoji here but it didn't show up) All bets are off of course if he's got another year of Rudy Gay and Mcelmore starting with him. I loved Corliss as a player and hope cuz appreciates him from afar.
That's all fine and well if we were a normal franchise with strong culture and proven success. We are exactly the opposite because we have managed to **** up things that were impossible to **** up.

People LOVE to pick on Cousins and blame him for everything that has gone on with the franchise since he was drafted. Truth is we have been a well established rabble when we drafted him and continued to be a rabble all the way through his years here. If this was ANY other star or superstar player in the league, they would have pissed this franchise off before you could blink. So we really should be grateful and should be catering to him to a degree and work our asses off to make sure we repay his faith.

I highly doubt that ANY other all-star would have stuck with such a incompetent franchise for 6 years and not even coming close to play off appearances. Just take a look at all the moves we have made since we drafted Cousins and be honest. If it was any of us in Cousins' shoes we would have left this franchise a LONG LONG time ago yet despite all that, he sticks with us, gives us another chance again and again and again.

Hopefully this is the clean slate where Cousins trust Joerger and vice versa and they have each other back. If they don't we are in a lot of crap as a franchise. If this is the fresh start then we will go forward like we should have with Malone. If it is yet another false start, I can guarantee you that neither Cousins nor coach Joerger will see out the end of their contracts and we will continue to spin in circle of incompetence where mediocrity would actually be an achievement.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
well ... just compare the golf videos between Karl and Joeger. On the one hand you have Karl last year in the golf cart interview, doubling down and insisting that anybody can be traded and "we are committed to Cuz IF he is committed to us" and all that ugliness. Then on the other hand you have Joerger sharing a driving range with the big fella a couple weeks ago.

I think we're good. And I sure do understand that Corliss was the dude Cuz trusted on that slimeball staff of Karl's, but that was then. This current staff won't need a dedicated Cuz whisperer.
I hope you are right and it seems likely. Unfortunately we are talking about people and people aren't all that predictable. Big Nasty and Cuz had a relationship that was set and predictable.