Collison and the Kings' future (split)

Can't believe some are trying to compare this to when Ellis left the Warriors. Ellis left to give the ball to Steph Curry (who turned into a top 10 player in the world), we are gonna give the ball to Collison( a career backup) and it opens up more shots for Ben McLemore(hurray!), Cousins and Gay had all the touches they could handle with IT too. So we are basically hoping guys like McLemore, Derrick Williams become anything of value. We are going to suck next season unless Cousins goes from great offensive weapon to great 2 way player and Gay takes his game to another level(won't happen).
Collison started 254 of 376 games or 65% of the time.
IT has started 153 of 216 or 71% of the time.

I bet after this season Collison will have a higher percentage.

Collison started 254 of 376 games or 65% of the time.
IT has started 153 of 216 or 71% of the time.

I bet after this season Collison will have a higher percentage.
He better, if Collison isn't starting for us we are in BIG trouble. What I meant was that IT, talent wise is worthy of starting but fits better on most teams as a sixth man. Where Collison talent wise is a fringe starter at best, and a backup for most teams. We could be better next season but thats with a ton of IF's, as of right now we are a worse team than last season. Here are the if's that would make us improve, thats with the roster as it currently stands.

1. Cousins takes his game to the next level. From a great offensive weapon to a guy that brings it on both ends every night.
2. Gay has an All-Star caliber season
3. Ben McLemore goes from one of the worst players in the league based on minutes played to at least serviceable(give us anyting).
4. Nick Stauskas produces a solid rookie season, provides consistent outside shooting and decent playmaking.
5. Carl Landry has a bounce back year and gives us a scoring punch off the bench that we lose with IT.
6. Jason Thompson has a bounce back year and goes back to being the 12 and 10 guy with solid defense.
7. Ray McCallum takes advantage of IT's void and becomes a solid contributor off the bench, runs the second unit, while also providing some scoring.
8. Derrick Williams shows that he has a pulse and a desire to make it in this league(if he doesn't produce in a contract year, when will he?)
9. Collison plays as expected, runs the offense, uses his quickness to get in the lane and find our shooters, keeps the defense honest with some scoring.
10. Team Defense improves dramatically

Even if all of this happens, I still don't see us even sniffing the playoffs in the West. If all of this happens we are a 35-40 win team at best, with the most likely scenario being another 28-32 win season.

He better, if Collison isn't starting for us we are in BIG trouble. .
Big trouble?

The Kings have not won more than 28 games for SIX seasons. The team almost moved to Seattle.

I'm not going to get excited over a PG who ignores his athletic PF running with him on a fast break so he can pad his stats.

I'm tired of coddling IT because we want him as our sixth man. He is a Sun now so it is what it is.

Even if all of this happens, I still don't see us even sniffing the playoffs in the West. If all of this happens we are a 35-40 win team at best, with the most likely scenario being another 28-32 win season.
With IT on our roster rather than Collison, there is no hope and the most likely scenario is another 28 win season. We have proven that already with IT. At least now, he is gone and there is a real big possibility of improvement.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
With IT on our roster rather than Collison, there is no hope and the most likely scenario is another 28 win season. We have proven that already with IT. At least now, he is gone and there is a real big possibility of improvement.
Except for the fact that we were somewhere close to 0.500 with DMC, Rudy, and IT playing complete games (not injured) last year.

I would have liked IT to stay as a 6th man (like others I think he is best suited to the superstar 6th man role), but not at the salary he got. Hopefully Collison fits this team better for a starter role (we know he will play better defense) and the presence of Nik (with his BBIQ and willingness to pass, etc.) will help this team turn the corner a little bit. Obviously this is in addition to DMC and Rudy getting a training camp together, etc., and the team making some general improvement due to maturing a bit.

I'm very happy with this S&T. Our roster is still only halfway complete and I have every reason to trust the FO to make us a much better team before the season starts.

I'm very happy with this S&T. Our roster is still only halfway complete and I have every reason to trust the FO to make us a much better team before the season starts.
With what assets? Honestly to everyone suggesting they are going to make a couple more moves that make us much better, suggest a few realistic ones with the pieces/space we have.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The team is better than last year. Does anyone disagree? It still is not all that good as DC is a weak PG so in my mind, that position isn't filled. We still need the defensive big position filled. I'd feel a whole lot better if two of our better athletes, Mclemore and Williams were playing better. I can't bring myself to pee and moan about a lack of progress by the FO. The summer isn't over for one thing but bottom line, the team is better.

Whoa-35 wins?? Pessimist much? You are saying the ceiling for the team is 35 wins even if all that happens??? How??? I don't think half of that will happen, but your "ifs" provide:

2 all stars, including a "next level" cousins, which I presume is top 10 player in league. You also have 3 solid vets starting- a pg who can run the show, a double double defensive 4, and a shooter/floor spacer in Nik. Your starters now are above average on d (you call for both a huge jump in team D, as well as the fact that in your scenario, 4 of your starters are now playing either above average or plus D).

You then have a bench with a bona fide bench pg, competent Ben, a Dwill who recognizes his talent (#2 pick) more often than not, and a guy like Landry popping in 12-15 per game off the bench. That is a hell of a bench, not even counting some grit from Evans/acy.

Are you so blind in your agenda that you would call that team a 35 win team? That team is a top 5 team in west. Like I said, I would be thrilled for even half your ifs to pan out, (and see no way they all happen) but don't pretend that every player playing to their potential (or above) would win 35.

He better, if Collison isn't starting for us we are in BIG trouble. What I meant was that IT, talent wise is worthy of starting but fits better on most teams as a sixth man. Where Collison talent wise is a fringe starter at best, and a backup for most teams. We could be better next season but thats with a ton of IF's, as of right now we are a worse team than last season. Here are the if's that would make us improve, thats with the roster as it currently stands.

1. Cousins takes his game to the next level. From a great offensive weapon to a guy that brings it on both ends every night.
2. Gay has an All-Star caliber season
3. Ben McLemore goes from one of the worst players in the league based on minutes played to at least serviceable(give us anyting).
4. Nick Stauskas produces a solid rookie season, provides consistent outside shooting and decent playmaking.
5. Carl Landry has a bounce back year and gives us a scoring punch off the bench that we lose with IT.
6. Jason Thompson has a bounce back year and goes back to being the 12 and 10 guy with solid defense.
7. Ray McCallum takes advantage of IT's void and becomes a solid contributor off the bench, runs the second unit, while also providing some scoring.
8. Derrick Williams shows that he has a pulse and a desire to make it in this league(if he doesn't produce in a contract year, when will he?)
9. Collison plays as expected, runs the offense, uses his quickness to get in the lane and find our shooters, keeps the defense honest with some scoring.
10. Team Defense improves dramatically

The team is better than last year. Does anyone disagree? It still is not all that good as DC is a weak PG so in my mind, that position isn't filled. We still need the defensive big position filled. I'd feel a whole lot better if two of our better athletes, Mclemore and Williams were playing better. I can't bring myself to pee and moan about a lack of progress by the FO. The summer isn't over for one thing but bottom line, the team is better.
I think that remains to be seen. We all hope that a less shot focused pg and better rookie sg will help but how much? Realistically we've gone from a 28 win team to maybe a 35 win team. I just don't know what pieces we have to make the team that much better.

I think that remains to be seen. We all hope that a less shot focused pg and better rookie sg will help but how much? Realistically we've gone from a 28 win team to maybe a 35 win team. I just don't know what pieces we have to make the team that much better.
That's why we need to trade for Smith or Sanders. We don't have the assets to get a competent big without major contract or character issues

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Whoa-35 wins?? Pessimist much? You are saying the ceiling for the team is 35 wins even if all that happens??? How??? I don't think half of that will happen, but your "ifs" provide:

2 all stars, including a "next level" cousins, which I presume is top 10 player in league. You also have 3 solid vets starting- a pg who can run the show, a double double defensive 4, and a shooter/floor spacer in Nik. Your starters now are above average on d (you call for both a huge jump in team D, as well as the fact that in your scenario, 4 of your starters are now playing either above average or plus D).

You then have a bench with a bona fide bench pg, competent Ben, a Dwill who recognizes his talent (#2 pick) more often than not, and a guy like Landry popping in 12-15 per game off the bench. That is a hell of a bench, not even counting some grit from Evans/acy.

Are you so blind in your agenda that you would call that team a 35 win team? That team is a top 5 team in west. Like I said, I would be thrilled for even half your ifs to pan out, (and see no way they all happen) but don't pretend that every player playing to their potential (or above) would win 35.
Beware. Those who have bet "black" for the last decade on this team have cleaned out the house.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
With what assets? Honestly to everyone suggesting they are going to make a couple more moves that make us much better, suggest a few realistic ones with the pieces/space we have.
Enders. We do have three enders. Think that's got to be the deal now. We can take somebody's unwanted contract with Terry, DWill, Outlaw. Maybe Ben has some minor youth value as a tagalong/salary matcher.

Enders. We do have three enders. Think that's got to be the deal now. We can take somebody's unwanted contract with Terry, DWill, Outlaw. Maybe Ben has some minor youth value as a tagalong/salary matcher.
Agreed unfortunately they are attached to bad players and enders don't have the same value they did in the old CBA. But even with those, we might have a shot at a bad contract (Sanders, Smith) and then we are out of space (including longer term) and assets.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That's why we need to trade for Smith or Sanders. We don't have the assets to get a competent big without major contract or character issues
Those two names, Hibbert. Possibly McGee. Maybe something from New Orleans. Seems to be kind of the deal now. We don't actually have any expendable talent people are going to want, but we do have the ability to let another team get out from under a contract. But of course that puts us under the contract, so you have to get it right. If we can slip in one of our longer term deals in the process, we will have done well. Your $15 a year bad contract for our $7mil a year bad contract and some enders. Halve their future payments.

I see no reason any of these pieces should move, 4 starters + 3 deep bench:
Cousins
Gay
Stauskas
Collison
Evans (cheap, right attitude)
Acy (cheap, right attitude)
McCallum (cheap, right attitude)

2 midrange bad contracts:
Landry
Thompson

tradeable stuff: 3 enders + 1 former lottery pick:
Williams (ender + former high pick)
Terry (ender)
Outlaw (ender)
McLemore (former high pick)

Those two names, Hibbert. Possibly McGee. Maybe something from New Orleans. Seems to be kind of the deal now. We don't actually have any expendable talent people are going to want, but we do have the ability to let another team get out from under a contract. But of course that puts us under the contract, so you have to get it right. If we can slip in one of our longer term deals in the process, we will have done well. Your $15 a year bad contract for our $7mil a year bad contract and some enders. Halve their future payments.

I see no reason any of these pieces should move, 4 starters + 3 deep bench:
Cousins
Gay
Stauskas
Collison
Evans (cheap, right attitude)
Acy (cheap, right attitude)
McCallum (cheap, right attitude)

2 midrange bad contracts:
Landry
Thompson

tradeable stuff: 3 enders + 1 former lottery pick:
Williams (ender + former high pick)
Terry (ender)
Outlaw (ender)
McLemore (former high pick)
That should be the plan but we only get one shot at this. Can't waste it on another non-defending shooter (unless it's picking up a cheap shooter in FA/trade throw in). I don't trust out FO to do this right.

Or possibly trade one of our longer term deals for someone's really crappy expiring (ie. Landry and Terry to OKC for Perkins/Jones).

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
At this point, almost any change of our old regimen's draft selections is a welcoming sight to me. I'm willing to give Darren the benefit of the doubt and hope that he puts in way more effort into defending and involving teammates than trying to score, but if he can score 12-15 points a night then he is doing his job, with the assists to boot also, of course. However, I still would like to see another trade done here, whether it's for a swing for the fences type of deal or just to gain another helpful asset moving forward, we can't hope to go into the season with just Nik and Darren and think that we will win many more games than last season.

And we have surplus, unneeded, or duplicate players that together might be enough to get us back some player value we need. There's value there for the FO to use but it still takes two to tango. I am confident that our FO is not on vacation during this critical period. Good luck.

And we have surplus, unneeded, or duplicate players that together might be enough to get us back some player value we need. There's value there for the FO to use but it still takes two to tango. I am confident that our FO is not on vacation during this critical period. Good luck.
Not sure the market for surplus, unneeded parts on mid level deals is all that strong.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Miami seems to be looking for anybody at this point. They might take on a Landry or JT just to have a player. Maybe get a 2nd rounder. That's the kind of teams we need to reaching out to. Nthe ones with plenty of space but not plenty of bodies n

What about Taj Gibson? One of my favorite players and it makes some sense.

New report says chi was offered a top 10 pick for Mirotic, but said no. So they're high on him. Bulls want him this year, but i dont see how they play with mirotic, pau, and gibson in one position.

They need cap room. Could this trade exception get him for us? Could we add any sweeteners to the deal?

I know next to nothing about the cap, but I do know Taj would be a great fit and really improve the team.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

New report says chi was offered a top 10 pick for Mirotic, but said no. So they're high on him. Bulls want him this year, but i dont see how they play with mirotic, pau, and gibson in one position.

They need cap room. Could this trade exception get him for us? Could we add any sweeteners to the deal?

I know next to nothing about the cap, but I do know Taj would be a great fit and really improve the team.
With the present players signed, we are $4.5 mil under the apron, the absolute highest a team can go.

can't get gibson with our TPE, and i doubt CHI wants to get rid of him. their current four is really good.