Coaching staff additions?

I don't know if anyone thought of this but now that we have a head coach we will need an associate coach and three or four assistant coaches. Will we keep any that we had like Corliss or Nancy? Might Turner come? How about the Bibbys? Doug Chridtie? A Joerger's favorite or two or three? All in due time which may be very soon. Kngs could sure use the staff scout for the draft at this late date.

I would say Turner is for sure coming. Corliss might want to pursue a higher position somewhere else at this point. I think he'll do what's going to advance his career and he may feel he's stuck in the same spot if he stays in Sacto. Nancy won't be back.

Joerger wanted to change the offense in Memphis but never got the team to commit to it and the roster didn't really fit well with spacing out more due to the lack of shooters. One of his assistants may represent the offensive changes he wanted to do but never accomplished with the Grizz. Also, Nate McMillian as an assistant wouldn't surprise me. Depends on what happens in Indiana next and where Vogel goes. Also, the other Spurs assistant may be involved. Not Messina, but Borrego.

I don't know if anyone thought of this but now that we have a head coach we will need an associate coach and three or four assistant coaches. Will we keep any that we had like Corliss or Nancy? Might Turner come? How about the Bibbys? Doug Chridtie? A Joerger's favorite or two or three? All in due time which may be very soon. Kngs could sure use the staff scout for the draft at this late date.
Word on the street is that Bill Bayno will be on the staff. He's served as an assistant for the Timberwolves, Trail blazers and Raptors in addition to many years as a college coach. All I know about him is based on his wiki and a few articles which isn't much but hopefully we'll get a better picture of what he's about soon.

Thought I read turner wouldn't be coming over as part of the staff buildout. I'd like him back in Sac and hope DJ considers him. Keeping Corliss is a no brainer. You need someone to give you context from an organisational perspective and DJ needs someone to fill that void in his staff

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Thought I read turner wouldn't be coming over as part of the staff buildout. I'd like him back in Sac and hope DJ considers him. Keeping Corliss is a no brainer. You need someone to give you context from an organisational perspective and DJ needs someone to fill that void in his staff
Where'd you read that? Last thing I saw was exactly the opposite -- that the whole reason we were interviewing Turner as to be an assistant if we got Joerger.

Where'd you read that? Last thing I saw was exactly the opposite -- that the whole reason we were interviewing Turner as to be an assistant if we got Joerger.
yeah i tried to find it but cant so clearly i misread.

View is to instill him as associate head coach - thoughts ? not too many teams have that kind of structure in place. Its not an issue for me as long as Turner is back.

I expect Elston Turner to return to Sacramento as an assistant coach and I would like to see us keep Corliss. It will be interesting to see who we getas assistants. I want us to have as strong a coaching group as possible.

Elston, Corliss and Christie would be 3 assistant coaches I would like to see. Adleman as an advisory role would be awesome. If that other assistant that is linked to Joerger is decent, I think that is a pretty great staff.

ET probably is a top 3 assistant coach in this league. He probably is better than 20% of current head coaches, maybe more.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Elston, Corliss and Christie would be 3 assistant coaches I would like to see. Adleman as an advisory role would be awesome. If that other assistant that is linked to Joerger is decent, I think that is a pretty great staff.

ET probably is a top 3 assistant coach in this league. He probably is better than 20% of current head coaches, maybe more.
Okay, this time around let's all agree to get his name right. It's ADELMAN. :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I expect Elston Turner to return to Sacramento as an assistant coach and I would like to see us keep Corliss. It will be interesting to see who we getas assistants. I want us to have as strong a coaching group as possible.
I realize we can't force assistants down his throat but Big Nasty and Turner are good folks. Didn't Turner's son play around here? I am not totally surprised to hear Nancy's name mentioned as she must have made a bit of an impression. Sometimes a little feminine LACK of testosterone can be helpful especially when backed by a great deal of knowledge and skill. Those three provide a good continuity also.

Clarify my mistake and if I misunderstood something, let me know that. I hate sarcasm and the like especially when there are some of us who don't know everything.
Miltonap didn't understand livinthedream's joke about all traces of Karl being gone. HndsmCelt said "whoosh" in reference to the joke going over miltonap's head.

Then you responded and said what went whoosh over my head, Slim? When the whoosh reference was quoting and referring to miltonap. Why you called HndsmCelt 'Slim' is an unknown at this point.

John Galt followed it up by saying "wrong head Glenn" which meant that the whoosh comment wasn't about it going over your head. Hence, your head isn't the head the joke went over.

Or is it?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Miltonap didn't understand livinthedream's joke about all traces of Karl being gone. HndsmCelt said "whoosh" in reference to the joke going over miltonap's head.

Then you responded and said what went whoosh over my head, Slim? When the whoosh reference was quoting and referring to miltonap. Why you called HndsmCelt 'Slim' is an unknown at this point.

John Galt followed it up by saying "wrong head Glenn" which meant that the whoosh comment wasn't about it going over your head. Hence, your head isn't the head the joke went over.

Or is it?
Got it. Thanks for the effort.

I hope Vlade isn't choosing any of Joerger's staff. The lead and the otherl assistants should be the coaches call with the GM's ok. It would seem Vlade would support that position. In any event I think Corlss would be ok if he wants it. He would probably prefer an associate job. I don't think Turner would want anything but the number two job. The other fellow mentioned, a former HC at UNLV, he sounds like a number two position candidate. That situation might eliminate two of the three. If Nancy was Vivek's pick that too could be a problem. Come on, Vlade, let Dave work it out.

I hope Vlade isn't choosing any of Joerger's staff. The lead and the otherl assistants should be the coaches call with the GM's ok. It would seem Vlade would support that position. In any event I think Corlss would be ok if he wants it. He would probably prefer an associate job. I don't think Turner would want anything but the number two job. The other fellow mentioned, a former HC at UNLV, he sounds like a number two position candidate. That situation might eliminate two of the three. If Nancy was Vivek's pick that too could be a problem. Come on, Vlade, let Dave work it out.
In the press conference Vlade explicitly stated Joerger would chose his own staff. It was in regards to who had been let go. He later clarified that Corliss and Nancy might be retained.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If the GM and coach are both on the same page, and it seems like they are, than some back and forth about who else is going to be on the coaching staff isn't a problem. The idea is for everyone involved to feel like a family not "these are my guys and these are your guys and don't tell me what to do". This is also why it's so important for the GM to hire the coach. We've already seen what happens when you have two different competing ideologies and no clear hierarchy to decide between them. The players chose to side with their coach and the owner/GM chose someone else and things got real ugly. Joerger said he was hoping to get input from Rick Adelman and he's already been working with Elston Turner for years who's connected to the Adelman era as well. So maybe out of that some of the former players who are already involved in the organization like Corliss, Bobby, and Doug end up on the coaching staff too. I'm thrilled that our former players like Sacramento well enough to make this their home even after their playing careers ended.

We're searching for a new identity and a new signature style of play and I think the family loyalty angle seems like the best possible look for this franchise at this time. This isn't a big media market where name recognition and star power trump everything else. What it is instead is a fan driven community. The only reason there's even a team in Sacramento to root for is because these fans are committed to the team through thick and thin and refused to let it go. It's obvious too in the way we celebrate our former stars, role-players, and bench warmers alike -- once a King, always a King. The Once and Future Kings of Sacramento. Hopefully there's a way to continue the theme of family and loyalty without making Joerger feel like an outsider who can't make his own decisions.

I do like that Joerger hinted at bringing back guys who experienced those years when we were good and him consulting Adelman. My uneducated guess is that Adelman will be in a Coachie type role as a consultant, Corliss will return (along with Nancy it seems), Turner will join him and I suspect one or two of Christie, Bobby Jackson and Bibby will be assistant coaches.

As @Bricklayer mentioned the other day, Vlade is bringing family like atmosphere around the franchise. Those guys all got along brilliantly, so going back to those days only in different capacities is bringing that togetherness and chemistry and dare I say it love together. You tell Vivek to watch how it's done. You bring in the coach who is accepting of that and wants to be a part of that and what you have off the court is the team that has chemistry, relationship and respect. That rubs off on the playing group to the point where the end result is one big family where everyone has everyone's back and where they look out for each other.

Ever since Vivek has bought the team the franchise has been demolished by indifference and fractures relationships between ownership, front office and the coaching group. As can be expected, this has carried over onto the court and into the locker room. That changes now!

Vlade is getting his own team in and that team will lead the way and show the way to the players and the owners. I get the sense that these guys from the "golden era" have some unfinished business in Sacramento and if they couldn't win it as players, they will give it their all as executives, consultants and assistant coaches. Strap in ladies and gentleman, it is going to be one heck of a ride. A lot of work to do, but for the first time in a very long time, there is a clear goal and a clear path with crystal clear vision of how to get there.

Doug will be on the coaching staff, I would bet on it. I think there will be some national kick back from doing it this way, because I can not think of another time this has ever happened? There will be some ridicule along the same lines we have already seen (Vlade doesn't know what he is doing, he has no experience, DeMarcus is a cancer, yada yada) but this is the first time, since early Petrie days, that there is a goal, a vision.... unity. We are family and we have a job to do.