"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Since VF asked me to keep an eye on this thread, I will "officially" declare that Gary is back up, and bozzwell and Spike can pick (or re-pick, as the case may be) at any time.

Sorry you didn't get a PM; it happens. But, as has been said in other drafts (and probably this one as well) before, that's why it's a good idea to check the thread, anyway.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
2010 Hyundai (yes that's right, a Hyundai!) Genesis Coupe

Okay, but is this an actual, physical car? 2010 kinda implies that the car hasn't been built yet...

As I grok it, the car has to actually exist in the corporeal world in order for it to be considered for this draft I'm sure that concept cars are allowed, but it would seem that there would at least have to be a physical model that exists beyond the brainstorming stage. Is that some kind of CGI model, or the real thing?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Okay, but is this an actual, physical car? 2010 kinda implies that the car hasn't been built yet...

As I grok it, the car has to actually exist in the corporeal world in order for it to be considered for this draft I'm sure that concept cars are allowed, but it would seem that there would at least have to be a physical model that exists beyond the brainstorming stage. Is that some kind of CGI model, or the real thing?

Looks like they premiered it this spring: http://www.leftlanenews.com/hyundai-genesis-coupe.html

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Just thought I'd check; I don't have very good eyes, and can't necessarily distinguish between a picture of a real car and an image that looks like it could possibly be computer generated.

Last edited:
1957 Chrysler Diablo (Concept)

All my favorite American classics are long gone in this draft, so I did some research and unearthed this car. Weird, but I like it a lot.

If only because someday I hope to earn my way onto one rather like it.

2002 Sutphen Quint 11

OK, everyone I've talked to with the SDFD hates Quints simply because they say Quints can kind of do everything, so they're really "good for nothing" (And since I'm just a lowly EMT, who am I to argue ;))

But considering I'll represent the entire Post-Apocalyptic City Fire Department, I'll need a jack of all trades in order to answer any and all Fire emergencies that would spring up. And considering the continual threat of a Tumbler or Satanmobile attack, I'm assuming those emergincies will be numerous.

Its capabilities and features include: 1500 GPM pumper, 70+ft. ladder with a bucket, 400 gallons of Water and a variety of ladders and rescue equipment. a pump, water tank, hose, ground ladders, and an aerial ladder

Besides, there's nothing quite like going code through the city, even if it's abandoned, and I'd need to be able to drive it without a Tiller.

It's for that reason, I couldn't go with my original choice.

LAFD Truck 11

Don't know how I'd plan to drive it without a Tiller Driver, but who cares. It's a spectacular animal majestically stationed in my fantasy garage.

Besides, 11's my lucky number

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Attica! Attica!

I posit that the Vlade Deluxe is no different than a concept car - many of those never make it past R&D and into production. Heck, many of them never make it past the artist's rendering.

However, if I must, I will re-pick, but I will hold out as long as I can.
You need to make up your missing pick.

:p

Bricklayer

Okay, sorry -- my bad.

Chrysler ME Four-Twelve (2004 Concept/Prototype)

Well, I thought about taking
sorry, can't tell you without ruining the integrity of the draft, even under a spoiler tag
or maybe
didn't you read the first time?
. And I thought it could be funny if I took
*ahem*
, but was worried it might actually lose me votes, or that it might be more practical to take
why are you even bothering on clicking on them at this point?

So instead I opted to take this sneaky pick -- what could have been, should have been, and maybe even will be the American answer to the supercars. This prototype, built in 2004, was capable of Bugatti level numbers. Completely ridiculous stuff: 0-60 in 2.,9secs, 0-100 in 6.2, and a top speed of 248mph. Its super suped V-12 cranks out 860 hp and combiend with the ultralight construction, it actually produces more hp per lb than the Bugatti, or anything else for that matter. Plans were apparently to build this as a (presumably very very expensive 9 figure type) production car, but it fell victim to the infighting/acrimony of the Daimler/Chrysler break up, as the Mercedes SLR people were upset that Chrysler was trying to outcompete them in their own market, and its been pushed back repeatedly in the last four years. Anyway, I said that I would never want to go that fast in anything except for my super-safety stock car, and maybe I wouldn't (especially, you will note, with the engine sitting behind you so that if you hit anything you get to go splat acting as a cushion for it, rather than the other way around.. But then again... :p And besides, while the truth is that I could be perfectly happy just tootling around town in my M3 from Rnd 2, like any good car collector, collecting all of these one of a kind marvels is half the fun itself.

Oh yes, and lest I forget, a vote for this car, is also a vote for patriotism, mom, and apple pie!

Last edited:
My last pick is probably not going to be a huge vote grabber, but I just don't care.

1957 Fiat Jolly -- The fringe top and (yes, you're seeing correctly) wicker seats don't necessarily scream practicality, but that's okay. These babies were designed with the specific purpose of driving back and forth on a yacht. Aristotle and Jackie O. had one on their yacht, so the car's got snooty millionaire cred. And they're cute as cute can be.

Bricklayer

Well that is certainly...different. ;)

They had a car to drive on their yacht? How long exactly was this yacht? And how thick were its decks to be supporting a car (although I presume it has a golf cart engine or some such).

P.S. I think your back left wheel is about to fall off. :p

Well that is certainly...different. ;)

They had a car to drive on their yacht? How long exactly was this yacht? And how thick were its decks to be supporting a car (although I presume it has a golf cart engine or some such).
They're little. Less than 55" wide, per Wikipedia, with a tiny little 4-cylinder engine. But it still had to be a pretty big yacht to need its own car.

Apparently 32 of them were also used as taxis on Catalina Island from 1958-62.

P.S. I think your back left wheel is about to fall off. :p
I think you may be right.

1984 VW GTI

I wanted to make my last pick count, so I actually did some research. I found a lot of sweet rides that are still on the block. When looking over this coolest cars list, I saw that #39 was an 83 VW GTI. That reminded me that the funnest car I have ever driven was my 84 VW GTI (I have driven Beemers, Porches, Mercedes, Jaguars etc.). It was lowered with adjustable KYB shocks, had a speaker box that took up the entire hatchback and an amp under each seat. I lived in Marin and would regurlarly take $50,000 sports cars off the line and laugh. Of course by third gear, I was toast. But around corners on Mount Tam, noone could keep up. This car was absolutely insane. I read where a lotus owner was saying that he loved his old 84 GTI and surprisingly said that it handled very similar to his Lotus. This was the last year the GTI was in the Rabbit Body as the Golf was introduced the following year. It was the second of five VW's that I have owned.

Attachments

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Sorry didn't realize I was up.

I got my Buicks, now I need a Cadillac. I'll stick with the Motorama Dream Cars and go with the 1959 Cadillac Cyclone Motorama Dream Car

The 1959 Cadillac Cyclone was Harley Earl's final Motorama design as he retired in 1958. Quite possibly the most out there of all the designs, the car featured a removable canopy and what appear to be sliding doors.

The Gadgetmobile - 1964 Lincoln Continental

The vehicle, created from a 1964 Lincoln Continental, weighs more than 5,000 pounds but can still go from 0-60 in about 7 seconds. :D

I waited all 20 rounds to let 3G have this, but I think the car is just too big for her...:p

Attachments

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The draft is now concluded. Gary and Spike will have 24 hours to post their final picks. If they do not, their lists will have to be considered as is.

The next step is for participants to send me a PM containing their rankings of their competition. (You do not include yourself in the rankings...). Rankings will be used to formulate the seedings for voting. Since we only have 12 participants, the top 4 ranks will have a bye for the first round.

Bricklayer

Its been noted repeatedly while this has been going on, but these ranking are totally compleely and 100% impossible. :p

Its too bad there was not time for some photoshop magic here too, as people have gone off in wildly different directions with their choices and you couold have all soprts of fun wiht all the different flavors.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You set the bar impossibly high with your Hot Babes montages. I had been thinking of something but time constraints AND the lack of broadband combined with your efforts made me realize the folly...

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
You need to make up your missing pick.

Fiine.

Although NOT the Vlade Deluxe (which I believe was eliminated due to the fact that I would clearly win this draft) my makeup pick is this snazzy

1954 Chevrolet Pickup

Vlade approves. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thank you, Spike. I know that was very difficult for you.

Time has expired so Gary will be judged on his 19 picks. If the participants could get me their rankings by the end of the weekend, it would be appreciated.

It was suggested to me that it might be a good idea to have people post a summary of their picks and why their assembled fleet of vehicles is best. I have no problem with that, so if you (the draft participants) are interested in touting your selections, please feel free to do so.

I want to thank all of you for your participation. This has been a lot of fun. I hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

:)

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=561277&postcount=2

My list comprises of primarily pre 1980 automobiles, with only three post 2005 models and those are destined to become “classics” in time and one brief foray into the 1990s for something well worth it.

My 64 1/2 Mustang has been acknowledged as an “easy, no brainer” pick, does that make it any less classic? No!, it simply means that I have the car that has been recognized by many as being a “perfect” example of a classic.

My 1948 Tucker was far ahead of it’s time, and still is operational today what better way to define classic.

My 1964 Chevy pickup comes complete with camper shell, gas can, and one of the best of man’s best friends that anyone ever had.

Ah, The General Lee….really, what more needs to be said, a picture is worth a thousand words.

My 1968 Opel GT is a small looking car with enough leg room for those over 6 feet. Hard to find parts for, but well worth it.

Then we have the MACH 5, with real working sawblades, whether you need wood or to stop a zombie horde, this car is perfect. I don’t believe I ever got to post the write up on it :

In 2000, a prototype Mach Five with actual cutting blades was produced as a concept car. 100 production models were made in 2002 as a street legal vehicle. Built on a 2001 Corvette Chassis, the body was extensively modified to look like the Mach Five. It had 345 horsepower, and cost between $75,000 and $125,000 each.Probably the most well known version is the Mach 5 prototype that resides in the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles. It was built in 1999 and is very true to the cartoon design. It was used in a national automotive safety tour sponsored by the Child Safety Network and is said to contain a ‘mid engine’ and *crickets* (whatever those are).

My 1970 Cadillac, well, if it’s good enough for one of my favorite former Kings players, it’s good enough for anyone.

Anyone whose ever heard the song “Beep, Beep” will understand why the Nash was an excellent choice to follow my caddy, and the fact that it’s a convertible? Well, that just makes it perfect.

I realize I may lose “points” with taking what is essential a newer model vehicle, but it’s a truck. It’s a Kodiak. It’s big, it still has “classic” lines and well let’s face it, it just looks cool.

To offset that newer vehicle, I went way old school, back to 1908 with the first low-priced, mass-produced automobile with standard, interchangeable parts.

I again jump forward to 2006 to take a sleek Saleen S7, it goes Zero-to-60 time is under three seconds. It’s pretty, it has curves, I wanted it. Enough said.

However, this again created an offset need, so I went back to 1928 to pick up a Fire Engine. Ok, who among us hasn’t wanted to drive some sort of emergency vehicle? Make it a classic when you can. :D

Did you ever watch Speed Buggy? I did, so 1970 dune buggy was an obvious choice. Besides in a world where you’re alone, who wouldn’t want to do some beach driving?

And some mudding, 1977 CJ5 is perfect, also I have a thing for convertibles and open air cars.

Limos are sleek, elegant, and refined, the definition of my 1908 Studebaker.

1959 El Camino for lowriding and hauling.

How is my 2009 Fisker going to become a classic you ask? Well, it’s already gas and electric with optional solar. And it has smooth flowing lines that car connoisseurs drool over.

1929 "Blower" Bentley from the Ralph Lauren collection. The large "blower" (supercharger) is located at the front, in front of the radiator, and gave the car its name. A supercharged Car in 1929? Screams classic in every sense of the word.

1940 Plymouth P10 7 passenger Deluxe. Plymouth was the only low priced carmaker to offer a 7-passenger sedan. This alone makes the car worthy of the list..affordable and roomy.

Since I couldn’t take the SCC, I wanted a car with rocket power available to it, hence the Gadgetmobile.

Do any of these make my list the best? I think so; the variety is undeniable, as its all around appeal. There should be something for everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
VF21 selections

My list shows a fleet of cars I would truly enjoy driving around my city...enough variety to keep me from being bored and yet enough classic styling to represent some of the best cars ever to go down the road.

Aside from the Harry Potter car, which was my one departure into the realm of silliness, the rest - even the DeLorean from Back to the Future - are distinctive and, for the most part, very easily recognizable. I didn't focus on things like speed because when you're the only one around, speed just isn't that important.