Chinese guard coming to Sacramento

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
According to the China Daily (Xinhua) this week:

"Chinese NBA center Yao Ming's teammate Liu Wei, will leave for the US to receive training with the Sacramento Kings. He is expected to be the first Chinese guard in the NBA."

He is listed in the China Basketball home page as one of 4 NBA capable Chinese players from their National Team along with PF Ke Mo and forward Du Feng.

In his last Olympic game vs. Spain 8/28 he scored 3 pts on one 3 pointer, had 6 rebounds, 2 assists and 4 TO's in 30+min. Not much to go on and against a good team. hmmm....... :confused:

Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!! Chen Chen Chen!!!Chen Chen Chen!!!Chen Chen Chen!!!Chen Chen Chen!!!Chen Chen Chen!!!Chen Chen Chen!!!Chen Chen

gat

G-League
I saw the game with China and Serbia Montenegro and he was schoolin fools. The guy is quick! I can't remember his stats though.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Hmmm, I am not sure what to think. The Kings hardly need another gaurd, and definatly do not need another rookie, but then again he is a rookie like Yao was a rookie. Sure it has PR writen all over it, but as others have noted he can indeed paly ball, so who knows. Perhaps there is some trade in the works that will move some gaurds for an above average big man or quality swing man. I am sure it can't hurt to sign this guy through the preseason, let the scurbs play for contracts and keep the best. If nothing else the competition will keep them sharp.

Last edited:
HndsmCelt said:
Hmmm, I am not sure what to think. The Kings hardly need another gaurd, and definatly do not need another rookie, but then again Chen is a rookie like Yao was a rookie. Sure it has PR writen all over it, but as others have note Chen can indeed paly ball, so who knows. Perhaps there is some trade in the works that will move some gaurds for an above average big man or quality swing man. I am sure it can't hurt to sign this guy through the preseason, let the scurbs play for contracts and keep the best. If nothing else the competition will keep them sharp.
I remember discussing this same issue about a month or two ago... same guy, same rumor...

BTW, HndsmCelt, nice signature. All I have to say is, "Has anyone prophesized <sp> to these people? Only Travis."

I thought Yao's backtalk caused the Chinese government to re-asses their policy on letting players go to the NBA, but I do not think they officially decided to put an end to it or anything.

KingsPride said:
Actually, Chen and his fans are from Taiwan.

I just hate it when someone mix China and Taiwan up.
You must be Taiwanese. The Chinese consider Taiwan a part of China, therefore Taiwanese are Chinese.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
monk said:
You must be Taiwanese. The Chinese consider Taiwan a part of China, therefore Taiwanese are Chinese.
Relatively few people outside of China share the sentiment that taiwan is part of China, so more properly, he is simply unlikely to be Chinese, or at least Chinese nationalist.

monk said:
Actually, I beg to differ. I see Taiwan as a seperate country, one that is not a part of China. Not all Chinese people see Taiwan as a part of China. Do your homework before you talk about a culture that you are not a part of.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Circa_1985_Fan said:
PR! PR! PR! PR! PR! PR! PR!

This guy will be gone as soon as the team gets back from China.
Yeah! It is probably PR. Hopefully, they will cut him before they leave China so that he won't have to travel all the way back to Sac, just to turn around and go back.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
How'd we get off on Chen? I thought this was about a Chinese (not Taiwanese) player Liu Wei. Who remembers seeing him play during the olympics? And most are right, this seems a big PR effort in that the Kings are going to play in China in October.

KingsPride said:
Actually, Chen and his fans are from Taiwan.

I just hate it when someone mix China and Taiwan up.
Well they still refer to Taiwan as "Chinese-Taipei" a lot. And Taiwanese is still Chinese... it's only been like 60 years... shoot.. same bloodline.. ish all the same to me (i'm part taiwanese btw)

But it's funny... i already know that a lot of people are going to be rooting for Liu Wei.. just because he's asian... same as how almost all Chinese people root for Yao... whether they've seen him play or not.. haha

I don't hate it when someone mix China and Taiwan up. Because I think most people didn't do that on purpose. They just didn't know the relationship between Taiwan and China, and which is complex.

But I really hate it when people say Taiwan is "Chinese-Taipei." Even I was born in Taipei, I still think "Chinese-Taipei" is an unfair name to represent Taiwan. (BTW, thank you, Yahoo! http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/twn)

I know many people like Yao because he is a good player. However, some of my friends hate Yao just becasue he is a Chinese. :::sighs:::

I haven't heard any Taiwanese was going to root for Liu. Once Liu wears the purple-and-white jersey, I will support him like I did to every Kings player.